It's a the customer expects 100% fresh food episode

>it's a the customer expects 100% fresh food episode

How the fuck is everything supposed to be made in the restaurant?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CAI7_EscTrg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fresh food just means not frozen you dingus

yeah, every other restaurant does completely fresh food, what a ridiculous expectation by the customer ecks dee

youtube.com/watch?v=CAI7_EscTrg

Is Sup Forums ready for the latest Ramsay-kino?

what do you think the percentage of restaurants there are, that are not around 80%+ fresh food?

excluding fast food chains and things like that, isn't even subway mostly fresh

You buy the ingredients in the morning, cook what you buy and then take stuff off the menu when you run out. i.e. like 80+% of all restaurants manage to do.

Do 'murican restaurants seriously cook using frozen food? please tell me it's just Sup Forums magic, no one can be this uncivilized.

Using frozen meat/seafood isn't bad, but when you re-freeze what you've already cooked is when you have problems. Restaurants get deliveries at the start of the day(fresh veg/frozen meats). If you're like a two day drive from the nearest ocean, having a shit-fit over a frozen shrimp is autistic. Meat can spoil if its taken long distant and kept near freezing.

Nice bait. Purveyors come in on Thursdays with a few others during the week depending on product.

>80% of restaurants buy their groceries that morning
lol no, not buying shit that morning =/= not fresh

Chef here, a good restaurant will plan three days ahead and manage stock orders the night before specialties, you cannot expect fresh seafood if you live no where near an ocean, work with the local area you have to get the freshest options available. Don't run a menu that you cannot support. Prep time in a good professional place starts at 5-7am depending on opening hours and we usually stay up to 4 hours after doing last meals to clean the entire kitchen and prep list if we need ingredients to pick up during prep in the morning getting out around 11pm to midnight.

How many days a week is this?
Why would you ever want to do such a shitty demanding job?

being a chef is true suffering

its the consistency that gets me

Chefs have one of the most stressful jobs out there - that's why the TV ones lose their shit so easily.

Most of them end up becoming alcoholics.

5 days, closed Sunday and Monday, evening service only on Saturdays. Tuesday to Friday are full shifts. Monday is pay day.

If people are going to pay the price, that's on them. But you really should advertise on your menu "fresh" when it's actually fresh, and "frozen" when it was previously frozen. Some people think it's not as bad if it was frozen and thawed then cooked, as opposed to cooked from a frozen state.

chef and recovering alcoholic here.

This is true

>Chef here, a good restaurant will plan three days ahead and manage stock orders the night before specialties, you cannot expect fresh seafood if you live no where near an ocean, work with the local area you have to get the freshest options available. Don't run a menu that you cannot support. Prep time in a good professional place starts at 5-7am depending on opening hours and we usually stay up to 4 hours after doing last meals to clean the entire kitchen and prep list if we need ingredients to pick up during prep in the morning getting out around 11pm to midnight.

For the most part this is correct, however . . .

> you cannot expect fresh seafood if you live no where near an ocean,

This is not entirely correct, though in near every case you're going to be right. Around here, we aren't near the ocean so one of three things happens. Frozen sea food is the most common and obvious, so, obviously, that's not fresh. Two others things can happen, however. Some restaurants keep fresh seafood as a specialty, and have invested in salt water tanks. The other things that can happen is seafood places, or places with seafood on their restaurant use seafood farm, of sorts, which is just a business that keeps large salt water tanks that businesses in the area order from.

Both options are more expensive than if a restaurant is near the sea, as I understand it. So, frozen seafood simply is more cost effective and wide spread.

>Most of them end up becoming alcoholics.
This is also true, but I'm a pot head instead. I smoke a joint before prep and after work, my sous chef at my old place drinks like a canary.

What country do you work in ?

It's a shit job, my dad is a chef

i quit my job cooking at applebees on the day they told me to stop cooking chicken breasts on the flat top, and to start defrosting, precooked-but-frozen chicken breasts in the microwaves
it is absolutely disgusting, just like everything else made in that shithole and its no wonder i don't know anyone that eats there

I've worked in several countries traveling around learning. The place I described was my last job which I quit from when the bitch of an owner made my hire a relative and that relative made shit spiral out of control with the staff with the owner not doing shit, because "they're family" I'm currently in the middle of the US trying to secure a lease on a new place to open my own place with my own standards on staff. I plan on doing a simple menu around beef, lamb, and chicken as that's what the local farms around here can provide. Trying to avoid over complicating the menu.

>Why would you ever want to do such a shitty demanding job?
I'll be honest it's the love for food and a passion to eat incredibly good. No one expects it to be as demanding when they first start then your feet hurt constantly and the pace picks up drastically from what you're taught, then you get your first asshole customer who is so super specific outside of your menu. That's when you realize it's stressful as fuck. But if you have a good staff that sticks behind you and people work together it's a sense of purpose and wonder that makes you love what you do, because you share your passion with everyone.

Everything you said about seafood is true, but most restaurants don't want to pay the enormous fee to keep a live salt water tank that is fuck huge to run a in house farm. To start off with the price is usually a quarter of your lease to maintain this tank. There's a sushi restaurant here and because we're no where near the ocean they do this, but I've asked about it and the owner of the place said to don't even bother unless you have a good baseline already rolling.