My favorite directors are Godard, Tarkovsky, Bergman, Antonioni, Resnais, Melville, Fellini, Malle and Bresson

My favorite directors are Godard, Tarkovsky, Bergman, Antonioni, Resnais, Melville, Fellini, Malle and Bresson.

Who are yours?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4kyjK214s-4
youtube.com/watch?v=MNMi8fXi5Os
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Lynch, Coens, Anderson, Malick, Kaufman

you look like bait btw

Nolan and Eastwood.

Tarkovsky, Tarr, Antonioni, Lynch and Rivette

Directors? David Fincher.

Sofia Coppola, Harmony Korine, Michael Mann, Zack Snyder, Béla Tarr, Jordan Peele

not OP but you look like bait you huge pleb minus malick

bresson should really be everyone's favorite director. antonioni is really inconsistent, but there's something about his movies i like way beyond 'movies' - blow up was really an aesthetic revelation. i feel the same way about michael mann desu

"I want to seem cool so I looked up best foreign directors and copied their names"

My favorite directors are those who'll make me appear smart and intelligent among my peers.

Anderson is a bit plebby, I'll admit, but Coens/ Lynch are patrish. Nothing matches the variety, pessimism, beauty, and humor of the Coen brothers

let me guess, you like pynchon and michael chabon?

my tastes for living directors.

gold medals:
>costa-gavras
>david cronenberg
>terrence malick
>jacques audiard
>michael mann
>paul verhoeven
>nicolas roeg
>michael haneke
>roman polanski
>werner herzog

silver medals:
>jim jarmusch
>alex cox
>larry clark/harmony korine
>lars von trier
>william friedkin

bronze medals:
>john carpenter
>ridley scott
>brian de palma
>peter weir
>steven soderbergh

stopped watching movies about a year ago, but want to get into some modern asian movies including anime. also any modern experimental/video art suggestions would be cool.

not him but really you're going to throw the pynchmeister under the bus with fucking chabon? or is this b8

not well read enough. inherent vice was good, but not great, i liked the film more. i own chabon but he is too far down on my list. I like McCarthy, Mckenna, Wallace, dostoevsky

>im a criterion slut

criterion is great, but it's like nyrb classics - ton of canonical shit they can't get that's just as good.

terence mckenna? i like your style. you should check out david cronenberg

his naked lunch adaptation is god tier user

My favorite directors are authors.

i love this set too - best for picking up 17 yrs old hipster girl

you know that scene from persona with sex on the beach? that's where i go for the kill - i must've seen this movie like 7 times at this point, with 4:2 kill ratio i think(1st time by myself ofc)

another one is the mirror, but b/c it makes me horny(af), and not the girl - first, the shower scene, idk, this woman is just so.. real? and ofc the final scene, where he asks her if she wants a boy or a girl, and she cries, and when i watch this scene it just feels like making babies is the most natural thing ever(it is tho xd) so you just turns towards her and make one(they are always on the pill, such a turn-off.. but if you don't ask you can pretend)

fucking pseud

Like what? I'm interested now.

Sup Forums has shit taste

>No one said Spielberg

fucking laughed out loud

Lubitsch, Chaplin, Keaton, Newmeyer, Truffaut, Fellini and Bergman.

also, fav film is fanny & alexander, does that make me look cooler?

>muh patrish

whats wrong with Lynch, Coens, Anderson, Malick, Kaufman?

So Krasznahorkai?

Taste is generally irrelevant if you don't write some commentary to accompany it, especially on a literature board.

that's not in criterion? barry lyndon, for one. but if you want some good shit, check out the old british show 'moviedrome'. it was a cult film show hosted by alex cox (repo man director) and then some other chotch. the listing of all the movies they played is on a website someone made, and most of cox's intros are on youtube:

youtube.com/watch?v=4kyjK214s-4

youtube.com/watch?v=MNMi8fXi5Os

lots of great stuff in there you'd have trouble finding on any best-of lists or criterion. some really dope ones are 'electra glide in blue' and 'wicker man.'

What book would you recommend?

Dino Risi
Wojciech Has
Whit Stillman
Jean-Pierre Melville

Isn't this an old Sasha Grey meme?

Thanks man, looks interesting. Not even big on Criterion (wasn't OP btw) but always curious to see some more obscure stuff.

Krasznahorkai isn't a director though.

Ah, good. At least I know where the autism-containment thread is so I can avoid this.

He consulted with Bela Tarr though for the film versions of his books.

Kubrick, Kurosawa, Tarkovsky, Truffaut, Fellini, Melville, Welles, Chaplin, Altman, Cassavetes

Yeah, and he was involved as a script writer for Damnation and Turin Horse. All great stuff, Tarr and Krasznahorkai make a great team. But he's still not a director.

Cocteau is a good example

Haven't seen enough films to have real favorites yet but Tsai Ming-Liang is currently the director that I enjoy the most

I don't know who these guys are but Tom Cruise is pretty cool.

Werner Herzog
Buster Keaton
Chris Marker
Sergio Leone
Yasujiro Ozu
John Cassavetes
Dziga Vertov
Terrence Malick
F.W. Murnau
Takeshi Kitano
Alfred Hitchcock
Jean-Luc Godard

pls bully

Anderson is a bit plebby, I'll admit, but Coens/ Lynch are patrish.
No, he's on par with them. There Will Be Blood and Mulholland Drive are probably the two best Hollywood films since 2000. (Tree of Life as well if you count that as Hollywood.)

If you're feeling nice, please rec me some non-criterion directors.

Yes.

I've heard good things. I want to check him out.

criterion, more or less, nails it with bigger directors - but since they can't always get what they want, there are many many great movies by criterion directors that aren't on criterion. there are also many great movies by directors who didn't make much else - see my post about moviedrome above.

Michael Bay, Zach Snyder, Mcg, Quentin Tarantino, Rolland Emmerich, Otto Preminger, Paul W.S. Anderson, and Christopher Nolan.

>All these 'patricians' in the thread
>Not one of them has karagarga.in or passthepopcorn account
Really makes you think.

nightcrawler is the best movie of the last 15 yrs. springbreakers is 2nd. miami vice is third

shit-tier taste m8

Well that's because none of you cunts will throw me an invite

Want a secret cinema one?

Fuck those faggots and their inclusive club. Im not sucking someone's dick for an invite like all those other retards. I'm glad they're getting shut down by the government for keeping me out for over a decade now. Fuck em

sent ;)

what are they

>specializes in obscure content-including silent films,classics,cult,arthouse etc.

Tarkovsky, Bergman, Antonioni, Fellini, WKW, Cassavetes, Kieslowski, Wenders, Altman, Lynch and Melville

b8
>Kaufman
post discarded, he's fucking trash
non-pretentious patrician taste, you like what you like
alright
depends on what your favorite movie is by him
/thread
7/10

>tfw got into kg and ptp during the patrician years

stvn? is that you?

Godard, Antonini, Leone, Kurosawa, Kubrick

spielberg, nolan, scott, jackson, howard.

>inb4 any of your opinions

>spielberg

>Any of those
Scott is passable, depending on the film

I'll post 5 in no particular order:

Abel Ferrara
Hiroshi Teshigahara
Brian De Palma
Jacques Rivette
Paul Verhoeven

Subject to multiple changes.

>American/english speaking:
Cronenberg
John Ford
PTA
Malick
>East Asia:
wong kar wai
masaki kobayashi
hou hsiao hsien
>French:
Clouzot
Truffaut
Pialat
Renoir
Vigo

These are indisputably the three best cinema regions and everyone who disagrees can suck penis
>an argument could be made for italy
Other regions have 1 or two good directors, that's it

Russia? Germany?

Germany had expressionism in the 20s and wenders and fassbinder in the 70s and 80s, other than that not much to speak of
Compared to the regions I've mentioned, germs have nothing

Same with Russia except Eisenstein and Tarkovsky instead of Expressionism and New German Cinema

Terry Gilliam
Nicolas Winding Refn
Paolo Sorrentino
Denis Villeneuve
David Lynch

I know jack shit about classics tho, I should really get an education starting with Italian neorealism me being Italian

>Russia only has Eisenstein and Tarkovsky

could anybody be any more pleb

>that whole list
>Preminger slipped right in the middle of it
What an absolute madman, you are.

Tsukamoto
Hitchcock
Lynch
De palma
Bresson
Herzog
William friedkin

I fucking hate Malick

In order:
PTA
Korine
Malick
Tarkovsky
Lynch
Andrew Dominik

>wkw
kek, gets me everytime

you probably like godard, you pseudo

If I laugh at those who think WKW is one of the greats then why the fuck would I like Godard?

Luis Bunuel
literally no one has mentioned him ITT

I was thinking about it, but while I enjoy much of his work there's only really one or two of his films that I really love.

kys

>not liking godard
La Chinoise was great

That's the worst godard by far you utter plen

Honestly, I don't get the hate for Godard, he made some perfect pieces of pop-art. Far more enjoyable than Truffaut for instance.

According to your shit taste

Tarkovsky, Kobayashi, Bergman, Malick

Christopher Nolan

Hitchcock, Tarkovsky, PTA, Coens, Gilliam, Kubrick

Also im of the opinion that if Hitchcock isnt on your list, you are contrarian memer who hasnt seen his movies.

Edward Yang, Hou Hsiao-Hsien, Krzysztof Kieslowki, Terrence Malick, Wong Kar-wai, Tsai Ming-liang

And Hitchcock, Ozu, Kubrick, Kurosawa

Favourite Hsiao-Hsien film?

You're so pretentious. Who are you trying to please?

Almost the best in this thread

>omg you like these acclaimed and considered good by everyone directors?
>lol what a pleb! you are just pretending anyway!

why is Sup Forums so insecure

Milius, Boorman, Leone, McTiernan, Verhoeven, Carruth, Refn

I'm not that guy, but really? None of those are obscure in the slightest. They're fairly mainstream, at least among people who enjoy film.

John Waters
Pier Paolo Pasolini
Todd Haynes
Robert Bresson
Carl T. Dreyer
Ingmar Bergman and Yasuiro Ozu too, I guess

>at least among redditors who want to look smart by liking eastern directors

Nostalghia may have been the most definitive "kino" I have ever seen. Blew Ivan's Childhood and Solaris out of the water. Should I buy mirrors or Stalker next?

Dude, if you have actually seen a lot of movies you can quite easily recognize the more blatant exmples when something doesnt quite fit and the person is obviously pulling names from some top director list (or from other posts in the thread).

Definitely.

yikes

how old are you?

these people get it