Just started a gallon of orange mead this morning, might add mulling spices later

Just started a gallon of orange mead this morning, might add mulling spices later.

Anyone else do any homebrew?

Attached: 2019-11-10 09.32.24.jpg (932x2299, 1.3M)

/ck/s that way faggot

Damn, that looks like a mighty fine Mead. Don’t know shit about home brewing but I’d certainly like to try it. Got any tips you could give me while we wait for some more anons?

Hah I just started some the other night in a couple 1.5 liter bottles just to try a bunch of different flavors and mixes. I've done some before but I actually haven't had much luck with backsweetening. It always ends up tasting like wine with sugar poured in it.

My buddy's making some with wildberries so I'm interested in that.

Mead is really easy to make, there's lots of videos online about how to get started. Some people use fancy equipment and chemical sanitation and although it's more convenient it's definitely not necessary so don't get intimidated. Only equipment I had for my first batch was a glass jug and an airlock, I used boiling water to sanitize everything and it turned out great.

People have been making mead for thousands of years, you're more than capable user.

I homebrew, mainly beer but made some meads before. Best batch was a semisweet mead that I got silver medal for in a homebrewing competition.

I did the same thing with oranges and cloves. Really started to get good after about a year. Still drinking some from the same batch 5 years later.

I remember my first beer ...

Best results I've had are backsweetening with either more honey water or apple juice if I'm making a cyser and thats it, adding fruit/fruit juice after seems to give it the sugared wine feel, the "sweetness" of fermented juice is different from fresh and they don't seem to mix well.

Use chemical sanitizers to clean your fermenter and any thing you use that touches anything that goes inside your fermenter or touches your mead. I do a no heat mead, if you boil your honey water you will lose a lot of the honey foral flavors and aromas. And your yeast will need nutrients to survive cause honey doesnt have enough vitamins and minerals, amino acids, etc they (the yeast) needs to survive. Fermentation temps is very important, too hot and your mead will taste bad.

>Calls mead a beer
You gun dun full retarded

i'm not really into brewing, but i've made a strawberry wine and cherry wine few years ago.
both of them were quite good.

Add some antifreeze you faggot

Most home brews taste like shit. Most everything that's DIY is shit. Give it up.

also, what is the device you use to plug your mead?
mead is fuzzy stuff, so I guess it is not a hydro trap (or how do you muricans call it)

And this is where you look like one of the biggest fucking retards here. Kill yourself faggot.

The majority of the highest end products in the world are handmade by a single person or a small group of people.
You dont know what you're talking about.

An airlock? The thing that is in the top of OPs pic

If you don't have chemical sanitizer you can use boiling water to sanitize your equipment and use then use bottled spring water that comes in a sanitary container poured straight into your carboy.

I use distilled water over spring to ensure the water is clean

You're full of shit. Most people create absolute shit. You're probably one of them...

It's called an airlock, let's the CO2 escape without letting oxygen in, they're like $2.

It is true you dont "need" the sanitizer if you use boiling water but sanitizer is cheap and easy to get. Also you cant really boil your airlock, the plastic would get fucked

Never improve faggot.

Protip: not everyone is as short sighted as you and can do basic tasks

I sell over 100k in product a day. Someone thinks it's worth it.
You use my product every day, btw. You're welcome.

You're so proud of your "product" you failed to mention what it is. You're full of shit.

To add to my post here (), I also use the sanitizer to clean my stirring spoon to aerate my beer/mead after pitching the yeast. This help the yeast multiply a little bit before switching to make enthanol mode for a stronger fermentation. I'll even stir it one or twice a day for the first couple days to make sure the yeast goes....I do 5 gal batches so this may not be an issue for your 1.5 gal

Wonder if Jizzus will cum this year

skyrim has me needing a taste

>2019
>drinking alcohol
Trash

You can just get a $20 thing of sanistar and that will santize like...probably 1,000 of those jugs. Boiling water doesn't kill the bacteria that can ruin your fermentation. You should dip all your tools and stuff in sanistar solution or something similar before you use it so you don't get competing growth.

You are correct. I'm just throwing it out there because I personally was a bit put off by getting a lot of stuff to get invested in a hobby that I wasn't even sure I was going to enjoy, so my first batch was done with basically no equipment just to get the feel for it and it turned out great. I'm just sharing my experience in case any other user in this thread is on the fence about giving it a go and doesn't want to have to get a bunch of stuff just to try.

Also with the airlock you are right again, I just dunked the pieces under the water for a second or two with tongs.

airlock, yes. forgot the word.
but i just thought this is some kind of lock that doesn't let anything in and out, and keeps a pressure inside the bottle in certain limit to make drinks fuzzy.
but i guess it's just an airlock :/

What strains of yeast do you guys like or prefer?
I have tried Lavlin (I think that's the brand) d47 and wyeasts semisweet mead yeast. I think the wyeast one was better. D47 always leaves a strange after taste I'm not into

It's there to allow co2 to leave but o2 not to get in. Fermentation to ethanol requires an anaerobic environment. If they have oxygen the yeast will just multiply and not produce ethanol

Metheglin mug nugga.... Mead is yeast, honey, and water and tastes like shit.

No, large scale production creates shit. Single people making things they care about make high quality products.
Poor people are just unwilling to spend 1/3 of their income on food anymore so they eat at McDonald's and they're unwilling to spend $5,000 on a suit that can be repaired and tailored and worn daily for the rest of their life so they buy some "Men's Warehouse" $199 chinese thing so they have enough money to buy a $1500 white gold iphone.

This is why rich people are rich, and poor people STAY poor. All the shit you buy is exactly that, SHIT.

yeah, i got it

Been brewing Patrick Rothfuss' Metheglin recipe for a few months now, should be ready around christmas. Pretty excited.

Metheglin, for those unaware, is an old herbal English mead used as medicine for it's curative properties. Probably only effective because we now know that the herbs give off naturally derived THC and LSA and other fun stuff during the brewing process.

Methanol?!?

I've tried a few times with Lalvin 71B that a friend gave me a few packs of, has a good temperature range and kicks off like a rocket, you do need to watch it however because it leaves a really yeasty taste if your brew sits on it after fermentation.

Fair enough, sanitizer is cheap and if you are already going to a homebrew shop for the yeast or airlock or whatever, you might as well get the sanitizer.

That being said and slightly off topic here anyone thinking of brewing, make sure you use a brewing yeast and not a bread yeast. Or else it will taste weird

You don't even need equipment, you can just use a water bottle.
As long as you follow the instructions properly and measure everything it's perfectly fine.
Also saves money on proper equipment if you've only just started and want to just try without investing too much initially.

Attached: cde5dcd7ec9107637a691a8322c6a9e5.jpg (2736x3648, 1021K)

Meh, methanol is only really formed if you ferment it too hot and in mead or beer the levels are too low for health concerns...unlike moonshine.

Meh, using a bigger fermenter means you can easily let the mead clarify and then you can transfer the mead off the yeast cake and clarify longer. Removing the mead from the yeast cake will reduce off flavors

That's sorta how d47 was. The wyeast one was perfect...or maybe I paid closer attention to it fermentation and transferred it when it should have, kek

I made a honey and apple mead a while ago. Made 80 liters. It was damn fine.

Started a gallon last week. Want to take a dive into trying a five gallon batch but haven't decided which recipe to try it with.

My best 5 gal recipe was a no heat mead with like 3.5ish gal of honey with about 1.5 gal water and wyeast semisweet mead yeast. Def have to feed that fermentation nutrients, I did a staggered nutrient addition

I'm gonna call you "Why-try cuck". You can shut the fuck up now you little bitch.

Do you make AIDS or something?

Fuck you in your big fat ass.
You fuck up everything you try, don't you?

OP I seriously suggest you check out the Home Brewing threads on /diy/ if you really want some good pointers and discussion.

Attached: 1448139683884.jpg (720x783, 43K)

I made 4 gallons last year, fermented too long and had to age for a fucking year to make it palatable. Shit is cash, though. I made a gallon of regular mead, a gallon of cherry, a gallon of apple, and a gallon of pomegranate.

I tried to shut your faggy ass up and failed at that, so yeah I guess. Keep being a fag then

>keeps a pressure inside the bottle in certain limit to make drinks fuzzy.
That's how you bottle carbonate your homebrew. The yeast are mainly done with the fermentation by the time you bottle but are still eating some sugars. So once you cap the bottle the yeast will still ferment for a bit until the bottle pressurized and the co2 levels should kill the yeast or stop them. If there is too much sugar left over the bottles can over carbonate and pop or be a fountain when you open them.

'pop' is very generous way to describe the bottle turning into a fucking bomb.

Kek, in my experience the cap failed before the bottle

I use this kind, which have a nasty habit of exploding if you fuck it up.

Attached: 71ey8l9ECZL._SX466_.jpg (466x466, 27K)

Those bottles are great...but you are right those caps wont fail before the bottle

Good on you, I also make meads and wines. This was mine after I filtered it, just before I bottled it. five gallons of apple cyser mead.

Attached: The King's Bastard.png (724x967, 1.41M)

here's my still , been meaning to do this for years , had to do a lot of reading the home distiller forum to make sure I didn't poison or blow myself up , I made some brandy last week from apples I had picked , juiced , fermented and double distilled . its a fun hobby for me right now as my work is seasonal

Attached: pot still 2.jpg (2104x1184, 1.1M)

>Anyone else

It's like gardening with microbes. Sterile technique is the analogue of weeding. Fertilization --> nutrients. Sun placement --> ferment temperature. Etc.

Get all that right and it's time to start experimenting with flavor.

Looks comfy

I usually make magno meads

Attached: 20180513_195957-1.jpg (2296x2178, 250K)

I've always used iodine. Works great