Do Scandinavians understand their respective languages?

do Scandinavians understand their respective languages?

Other urls found in this thread:

dialekt.ku.dk/dialektkort/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Somewhat

Norwegians don't understand me when I speak with an accent, and I barely understands Norwegian.

Yes. I can speak to most Norwegians like there's only a dialect difference. Danish is a lot harder to understand, but still possible if you pay attention.

Depends, urbanites tend to be worse at understanding other nordic languages than province people.
I myself can perfectly understand most Swedish and Norwegian with the exception of some of the really far northern dialects or really thick Scanian/Immigrant Swedish.
I understand or can at the very least get the gist of most Faroese and Icelandic if spoken clearly and slowly.

Norwegian is easy
Danish can hardly be called a language

I understand 90% of Norwegian and 10% of Danish.

I can read swedish, norwegian and faroese perfectly, but when spoken i can usually only understand 50% of them

I have no trouble with norweigan unless its somw shitty dialect, bit samw goes for swedish dialects.
Danish is harder, but the televison danish accent is pretty ok.

I understand them all

Wrong. Give me the definition of the following words without googling:
Eljest, förty, bäsing, stuva, ettrig, blota

I only know half of those for sure, and the rest I'm kind unclear about.

I only know three of them
Eljest, stuva and blota

T. Jamal

Surely you know what ettrig means.

Actually no, and I had 2.0 on the verbal part of the SweSAT.

not really
I googled it now though

I hear it so rarely

>stuva
stova

It is still possible to understand a language without knowing every single word that is in the dictionary. I probably could get the meaning of those words if they were used in a sentence and had context.

I still hear words in my own language that i don't understand, doesn't mean I don't speak it.

I know all faroeise words and speak it perfectly.
Þu æru ein sva fulur faroying, eg hatar þig. Kommu a svitjod sva skal eg drepe þig.

I dont understand danish

Retard. I can tell what you're trying to do, but you're failing the grammar so completely. Even the parts that you SHOULD know from Swedish grammar. God damn.

what does mergjasós mean?

what does it mean?
t. not him

Swedish spoken: 100% (aside from some dialects)
Swedish written: 100%
Norweigan spoken 99% (aside from shorty dialekts)
Norweigan written: 99% (aside from gay local nynorsk words)
Danish spoken:15%
Danish written: 89%
Icelandic spoken: 2%
Icelandic written: 15-20%
Fareoise spoken: 1%
Fareoise written: 25%
Finnish spoken: 0%
Finnish written: 0.1% (i know perkele and mämmi and sauna)

Finnish has so many loanwords from Swedish that when you learn how they've corrupted them, it becomes easy to spot them.

bone marrow sauce

Makes a lot of sense, actually. It would be a word that would be easier to understand spoken than written, actually.

struggle to understand swedes and danes but its fine if its written, same with faroese to a certain degree

It means marrow sauce (märgsås)

interesting

too late. Already gave translation.

You don't understand scanians?
Wtf

>be dane
>noone understands you
>cant even understand your fellow countrymen

What went wrong?

This is surprising to me too, tp my ears ot sounds the same, but im from they north.

would be (ben)märgsås in swedish

Can understand written Danish and Swedish and mostly spoken Swedish, may understand some spoken Copenhagen Danish but it's more difficult. Dialects can be difficult in all three countries especially if they aren't speaking clearly or I can't hear them properly.

Can get the point of most written Faroese, but spoken is very difficult if not impossible, however I've very little experience with spoken Faroese, it may be easier to pick up on with more experience.

Question: Is the change in scandinavia like a gradient, or are there sharp changes at borders?

Historically there were more gradients, they still exist somewhat but there are also strong differences, you hear when you've crossed the Swedish border, they have a completely different way of speaking.

Scanias in Sweden speaks Swedish with a Danish accent.

It's a superior defense mechanism. You Swedes have an easy language which means new-Swedes and new-Europeans don't have much trouble learning. With us however, it's an eternal struggle.

Rod grod med flode, og kamelåså, svensker hore.

I read that Danish children can't speak Danish until they're about ten. is that true? why is your language so complex?

It's 12. But it's really no problem as we are all taught sign language

We communicate mostly with grunts and mumbling until that age, usually it works and if it doesn't both parties pretend the exchange never happened.

is it possible for a foreigner to learn this language?

Its not complex, they jist mumble their words and dont put pauses between words.
Heridanmarkligerhviåsnakkeveldigthurtigtfordiviermegetintilligenteogvibrukerogmange"fyllingsord"somsguogkuoglignende

You can learn it, but I doubt you could ever pass for a native speaker.

As opposed to sounding like you're getting fucked with a dildo?
>vi svenSKAR~ elskAR~ vorES~ mulTI~-kultuRElle sammenhäll, integruahuon är brAH~

>everyone in sweden talks like faggy stockholmers.
Um, sweetie, think again.
Every other county hates stockholm and think they sound like fags.

>do Scandinavians understand their respective languages?
More or less. It depends on your native language and dialect.
I speak Norwegian with the Oslo dialect, and I can easily understand most Scandinavians without any real effort. And at the same time make myself understood with the very same people. (With the exception of some dialects from bum fuck nowhere parts of Denmark.)

I am also able to get the general gist from Icelandic and Faroese texts, even though I can barely comprehend a single word they say.

You mean you don't all talk like you're trying your hardest not to bust out into a musical?

>parents are from southern jutland
>i grew up in western jutland
>speaks a mix of the two accents

>(With the exception of some dialects from bum fuck nowhere parts of Denmark.)
delete this right now

>Oslo dialect
You probably don't. Stop erasing Oslo dialect, it's a real dialect not the bokmål trash you are speaking.
Ideally you should learn REAL Oslo dialect and start speaking that instead, it's an extremely endangered dialect that needs support.

>denmark
>bum fuck nowhere
It litteraly takes 2 hours to drive across all of denmark not including the shitty islands.
Denmark doesnt even have dialects, not like sweden and norway do.

>eg taler nynorsk

They do have dialects, but they are even more extinct than in Sweden and Norway, only like 1% of Danes speak anything other than Standard Copenhagen Danish.

>let me tell you about your country

>It litteraly takes 2 hours to drive across all of denmark not including the shitty islands.
>Denmark doesnt even have dialects
You greatly underestimate the power of the Danish language.

Only dialect i know in denmark is bornholmsmål

I have an easier time understanding a Swede from across the border than a southerner.

du kan ikkje tala nynorsk, det er jo eit skriftmål

half of my family are from sonderjylland and i don't undersand them

>han lærte ikke sine forældres modersprog
Hanrej

>han veit isje kordan man taler nynorsk

Check it out:
dialekt.ku.dk/dialektkort/

>Danish dialects can be divided into the traditional dialects, which differ from modern Standard Danish in both phonology and grammar, and the Danish accents, which are local varieties of the Standard language distinguished mostly by pronunciation and local vocabulary colored by traditional dialects. Traditional dialects are now mostly extinct in Denmark, with only the oldest generations still speaking them

>isje
REEEEEEEE

I should probably have linked and pointed to the picture. It shows the number of genders in different Danish dialects

en tut bom

It isn't nynorsk to support oslodialekt, maybe some do it, but you don't need to, the most eager oslo dialect supporters in addition to nynorsk people may be samnorsk supporters and communists and they are almost dead

okay but people need to support the real dialects more, true oslo dialect isn't the highest quality dialect but it still has many strengths that aren't in bokmål especially if you change it to be closer to nynorks too nynorsk is superior I wish bokmål was banned everyone should write nynorsk and speak traditional dealects why are we so bad

I can understand most of all Scandinavian languages but they usually don't understand me.
I understand the majority of Faroese but with Icelandic it's harder.

Spoken of course.
t. Western dialect

Kamelasa!