Void of kino

It's shit. Don't fall for the shill or the lovecraft meme.

Bloodborne is still the best Lovecraft kino.

The bad guy is a pyramid

It was pretty decent. Kill yourself.

it kept me watching to the end but left me with nothing when it ended

End yourself

maximum pleb

Holy fuck did this movie get shilled.

All over Sup Forums, reddit, social media, etc. for weeks there was "Finally the Lovecraft movie we've all been waiting for!"

they copied the Clockwork Orange poster

wtf is lovecraft?

eh, no one actually paid any more to watch this. Honestly it wasn't terrible.

That's actually the universe dude you can see stars in it they must've broke out at the end

He's an author whose name is used as a meaningless buzzword by millenials who have never read his work

Splendid digits

the truth

Wasted

yeah they did, what the fuck

Are you the Pyramid?

trips of truth

repeating numbers

OP, yeah, the asswipes behind The Void have been shilling it hard on various websites who suck up to n00b filmmakers.

agreed, it's a terrible movie. seems like they put a lot of work into crafting a good trailer and then just padded out the rest of the movie with garbage.

>THERE IS A HELL. THIS IS WORSE.

oh really? i must've missed something because all i saw was a barren desert with triangles sticking out of the ground.

This was a fucking kino overload. Loved the practicals, this is what The Thing remake should have been...kind of

Even Harbinger Down was better in the "look at my vintage no-cgi monster" category

>The Thing remake should have been.
they made

The daughter monster looked fucking dumb. Other than that, I think it was pretty solid.

I have never read Lovecraft and give no shit about him. I saw this last night and thought it was some of the best modern horror yet. The pacing was great and the effects and colors were on point.

I honestly don't know how this movie gets hate when the horror genre usually shits out far far worse than The Void and has done so for decades now. There have been so few good horror releases in the past ten years that it's depressing. This one is a 7/10 but the hyperbolic posters here treat it like it's garbage.

I'm gonna need a pic on this one

I like the idea of Lovecraftian mythology but the premises of so many movies based around Lovecraft are annoying to me. I know that the whole point is that there are these extraterrestrial beings which humanity is powerless to stop but when you have that in a story it makes all of the actions of the protagonists seem meaningless (which, again, I guess is sort of the point in some kind of nihilistic way) and the movie ends up feeling unsatisfying and sort of unfinished as a result.

It's basically "watch horrifying shit happen to people for 2 hours and then leave because they're powerless to do anything" the plot, and inevitably that's what it's forced to be just because of the premise of the thing. It's basically what happened in In the Mouth of Madness, which was definitely Lovecraftian in nature.

All that said, I haven't seen this movie, does that describe it pretty well?

Why is Sup Forums full of so many hardline Lovecraft purists? Or is this all one guy?

It's like 5/10. Monsters are cool, but they aren't used as well as they could have been.

>I have never read Lovecraft
don't read it. it's shit.

Just play Bloodborne or wait for Del Toro

>Bloodborne is still the best Lovecraft kino.

Kill yourself, Sonyfag.

haha pcuck
I'm playing NiEr: Automata and Persona 5 right now!

Kinda. In another thread someone described The Void as being the lovechild of Carpenter's The Thing and Hellraiser. Sounds about right. Overlaps with Lovecraftian themes, but I wouldn't say it's Lovecraftian per se.

just watches it tonight
it's great: it's kinda low budget with cartoony cahracters, BUT great atmosphere & horrific/gore SFX. As good as the Myst.
Lovecraftkino confirmed.

is this pasta? jfc

HURR DURR KINO AM I RIGHT KINO MUH KINO SO KINO EPIC MINO MUH KINO I'M A KINO FAGGOT SO KINO MUH KINO MEME DURRRRRR KINO KINO KINO KINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved how the lead actor was literally laughing about the lack of effort with the actresses AND THEY KEPT IT IN. That said, it was because everyone knew the visuals would carry this film. It was the best gorefest/creaturefeature since Cannibal Holocaust. No pussies allowed

You're thinking Cabin in the Woods and It Follows. This one earned its stripes in effects 10 times over.

The main point people have against Lovecraft being adapted to screen is the percieved inability to translate gut churning, brain breaking images to live action. This one took that challenge head on

>You're thinking Cabin in the Woods and It Follows
What's funny(maybe sad to some) is that those movies ended up being far better than this one.

Cabin in the Woods is trash for middle schoolers. It Follows has atmosphere going for it it but ultimately has very little staying power. This is the kind of shit that will stick with you and make you feel sick, which was always Lovecraft's original motive.

>This is the kind of shit that will stick with you and make you feel sick
Which parts, because this movie had none of that. The fucking nurse monster looked exactly the same as the daughter, the only interesting part was those dead bodies coming to life as they're downstairs, and even then they only showed them getting shot and one random kill. I was far more interested in those cult people than the fucking designs of those lazy ass monsters/creatures.

WHy did he kill and 'unfold' the wife? His daughter was in the pregnant girl

lovecraftian themes: cult, crazy doctor, tentacles, dark magic on humans, cyclopean structures from another dimension/planet, dramatic buildup, characters getting crazy...

>It's shit. Don't fall for the shill or the lovecraft meme.

My thoughts exactly. It had good start and then devolved into some shitty body horror movie. Characters were bland as fuck, atmosphere was non-existant. The only good thing were those mysterious hooded cultists and even they got ruined when some fucking doctor who turned out to be cult leader kept babbling and babbling about them and everything else for 15 minutes.

Fuck this movie. That being said, I HAVE TO play Bloodborne.

was it rape?

I forgot one thing. Kill List was perfect example what Lovecraftian movie should be like. The mystery, the feel of unexplained, the characters driven to madness, it was amazing. Only needed some tentacles in last few minutes to be a perfect Lovecraft movie.

>Sup Forums doesn't read literature
I don't know why I expected better

I don't, actually. Books are too long, instead of reading a single book I can watch like 6 movies.

But what did you mean by this?

If anything the cultists were the least interesting bit, however necessary to a classic Lovecraft piece. If a 200 lb steak stands up on two feet and chases after you you're gonna have some pants with piss in em, whether you think its 'original' or not

The average Lovecraft story is less than 50 pages and if you had ever read a single one you'd understand the genius that is Void, rather than resorting to yet another reference to your child toys, is what I meant by this

kill list is not a perfect example you fucking fag. it was boring as shit with a generic wickerman cult ending.

I played TWO (2) Lovecraft board games and I understand his work fairly well. The Void doesn't make the cut.

Better than the ghost possession shit that dominates the horror movie scene in the last decade. I need more of this hell stuff Hellraiser style where it's not really hell but a screwed up dimension.

haha. please stop.

LOL

You have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. Aww, it was boring? Not enough cape heros for you? Not enough quips? kys, I'm not kidding.

>I played TWO (2) Lovecraft board games and I understand his work fairly well.
best b8 ITT
(kys tho)

I meant two DIFFERENT games, not the same game twice, asshole. Now who's laughing?

hi Jeremy

Well I watched Hellboy three times.

>ever trusting Sup Forums's opinion

>If a 200 lb steak stands up on two feet and chases after you you're gonna have some pants with piss in em
Same can be said about trying to get out of a hospital only to see dozens of cult psychos standing outside ready to kill you.
This movie was incredibly mediocre, and as OP said in first post, Bloodborne is better, hell even the old game Dark Corners of the Earth is far better than this movie.

I better hope you meant Hellboy II, nigger

Hellboy II is shit

even batman v superman is better than hellboy 2

I've fucking had enough of you, you piece of shit

drop you Nintendo ID, I'm gonna fucking wreck you, bitch

>even
I don't get. Are you somehow implying BvS: Dawn of Kino was bad?

>Nintendo ID
My father works at Nintendo. He will erase yours!

Well, of course, Batman v Superman is not a cape movie, it's a psychological deconstruction of characters, similar to the Holy Mountain, it has nothing to do with cape movies NOR Hellboy II and it is amazing

My father works for the electric company and will cut your power once you are close to victory ;)

Yes, I agree

I should probably watch it, my blu ray has been sitting on a shelf unopened for years

i went to highschool with that guy. kenneth. he wore that hat everyday for like all four years

Please kill yourself

>All over Sup Forums
I've never heard of it til this thread

>however necessary to a classic Lovecraft piece
You haven't read much Lovecraft, have you

>All over Sup Forums
If you call the few threads that were here something that's "all over Sup Forums" then you must be a goddamn ridiculous newfag

>don't read it. it's shit.
Fuck off and die, you retard

you have to be 18 to post here

The only problem with this movie was its apparent desire to parallel the Prince of Darkness. If it had kept a slower pace remaining rooted in simple occult worship and the Thing type shit it with only minor abyss teases, it would have been better.

>there are these extraterrestrial beings which humanity is powerless to stop but when you have that in a story it makes all of the actions of the protagonists seem meaningless

Thats literally almost all of Lovecraft for you. Descriptions of scenery and architecture and humans doing completely meaningless things and going mad in the end. I believe the only one that didnt follow this pattern was the one where they use the necronomicon to kill the shoggoth.

I'd say Assault on Precinct 13 way more than Thing.

>Thats literally almost all of Lovecraft for you.
>I believe the only one that didnt follow this pattern was the one where they use the necronomicon to kill the shoggoth.

Confirmed for not having read a single fucking Lovecraft story. Do you just get your Lovecraft factoids from podcasts about CoC?

Do yourself a favour and read the following:
>The Tomb
>Dagon
>The Music of Erich Zann
>The Outsider
>The Rats in the Walls
>The Colour out of Space
>The Case of Charles Dexter Ward

You'll find a bunch of themes such as: regressive consciousness, pre-human civilization, autobiographical allusions, degenerative evolution, pure cosmic horror and evil being inherent in old things. There's so much more to Lovecraft than meme tentacles.

>regressive consciousness
agressive tentacles
>pre-human civilization
tentacles
>autobiographical allusions
lusting for big black tentacles
>degenerative evolution
going back to tentacles
>pure cosmic horror
tentacles horror
>evil being inherent in old thin
evil tentacles

the movie did what it set out to do. It's cosmic horror. It isn't an adaptation of some Lovecraft story, so I don't understand why kids treat the film as if it was. Lovecraft's stories get their power from the imagination of the viewer. If you've got no imagination then you wont get the full experience as you read onward. Translating that into film, converting the incomprehensible into a comprehensible and tangible movie prop ruins the purpose of the story. In The Mouth of Madness and The Thing work as films because they're not supposed to be a 1:1 scale model of a Lovecraft story. They did their own thing and people later added #lovecraft to the film's tags. The Void got the same treatment.

I went on a Lovecraft movie binge a few years ago and although most of the movies were shit I still gave them credit for at least attempting something as impossible as adapting a Lovecraft story to film. The best of those, Dagon, was cheesy at times, had bad acting and pacing, but it was still an enjoyable film as a fan of Lovecraft. If you go into watching The Void expecting some IMDb top 10 movies of all time then you're a fool and your unrealistic expectations have probably led you to live a very disappointing life. I didn't expect a life-changing film when I watched The Void, and after watching it I felt the same way about it as I felt about Dagon - cheesy at times, some bad acting and pacing, but it was still enjoyable. The visuals and practical effects were well done, and those are some of the key reasons why people watch these types of films. You don't go into a horror movie expecting an epic story that would make The Iliad look like Twilight, or the best acting. You watch it for the monsters, you watch it for the gore, you watch it for the suspense.

Im the guy you were replying to, the first reply isnt me...

>The tomb
If that was the one with the guy getting stuck inside the crypt: I know what you mean. It doesnt follow the pattern. I also thought it was garbage and my least favorite story. Felt like an episode of fact or fiction with a epic tweest in the end.

>Dagon
Only one on your list I havent read.

>The Music of Erich Zann
Literally nothing that the protagonist does in this matters in the end. He isnt even sure if any of it happened at all.

>The Outsider
Again with the epic twist in the end. I like this one better than the Tomb because the writing is much more similar to the other stories with pages of descriptions of the architecture of the castle.

>The Rats in the Walls
One of my favorite stories, but again, the plot and what the guys are doing is just a vessel for autistic descriptions of the architecture of the castle, the scenery in the caverns etc. I love that, but the plot was meaningless.

>The Colour out of Space
Same thing. The protagonist barely even gets close to the scene of the story and in the end the water reservoir gets built regardless.

>The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
My memory of this is fuzzy at best, but from what I do remember, the MC in the end gets control over his body again with no memory of what his ancestor or whoever posessed him was up to.