Dark Knight as Tragedy

At first when I took a careful look at the Dark Knight trilogy beyond the aesthetics I thought that it was right wing authoritarian propaganda. Upon closer inspection I realized that it was anything but.

In every movie Capitalist greed produces or enables a dangerous underclass. In the first film the mafia is able to draw on an endless supply of desperate poor willing to do the bidding of rich, vicious criminals in the hope of escaping from poverty. In the second film the Joker is able to draw in psychotic recruits from the broken and dehumanizing mental health system touched on in the first film. In the third film Bane is readily able to appeal to the socially downtrodden and unfairness in the criminal justice system undermines that system's ability to fight back against Bane.

The right wing authoritarian as embodied by Batman is ultimately portrayed as a tragic figure: possessing the desire to fight against the evils that he sees around him and terrifying competent in the realm of physical confrontation, but ultimately impotent. The systems that produced and enabled the mafia, the Joker, Scarecrow, and Bane remain intact at the end of the trilogy and the mantle of Batman is ultimately passed down to a freshly minted authoritarian taking up the trappings of the previous tyrant.

Thoughts?

You're retarded.

KEK

i thought the same as well except the systems that produced and enabled the mafia, the Joker, Scarecrow, and Bane remain intact at the end of the trilogy and the mantle of Batman is ultimately passed down to a freshly minted authoritarian taking up the trappings of the previous tyrant.

I understand what you're saying except the systems that produced and enabled the mafia, the Joker, Scarecrow, and Bane remain intact at the end of the trilogy and the mantle of Batman is ultimately passed down to a freshly minted authoritarian taking up the trappings of the previous tyrant.

See I can get where you're coming from except the systems that produced and enabled the mafia, the Joker, Scarecrow, and Bane remain intact at the end of the trilogy and the mantle of Batman is ultimately passed down to a freshly minted authoritarian taking up the trappings of the previous tyrant.

Look. Look. I respect your position except the systems that produced and enabled the mafia, the Joker, Scarecrow, and Bane remain intact at the end of the trilogy and the mantle of Batman is ultimately passed down to a freshly minted authoritarian taking up the trappings of the previous tyrant.

I have a completely different take on this so hear me out: the systems that produced and enabled the mafia, the Joker, Scarecrow, and Bane remain intact at the end of the trilogy and the mantle of Batman is ultimately passed down to a freshly minted authoritarian taking up the trappings of the previous tyrant.

Agreed.

In general, Batman, as a story, is about a traumatized billionaire scion who uses Gotham's underclass as a continual supply of punchable mooks, with a few minibosses thrown in. Bruce Wayne never attempts to fix the system, to create, shit, I dunno, a chain of walk-in mental health services for all of the PSYCHOS the city produces.

Instead, he just wants guys to punch. He'll never stop hitting some jagoff with a sixth grade reading level as a standin for revenging his parents.

You're retarded.

The systems that produced and enabled the mafia, the Joker, Scarecrow, and Bane remain intact at the end of the trilogy and the mantle of Batman is ultimately passed down to a freshly minted authoritarian taking up the trappings of the previous tyrant

Listen faggot, you're close, but not quite. See, the systems that produced and enabled the mafia, the Joker, Scarecrow, and Bane remain intact at the end of the trilogy and the mantle of Batman is ultimately passed down to a freshly minted authoritarian taking up the trappings of the previous tyrant.

BANE?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, hoo, hee haaa, ahoo, hee, haa ahaa.

And I thought *my* jokes were bad.

They would be bad except the systems that produced and enabled the mafia, the Joker, Scarecrow, and Bane remain intact at the end of the trilogy and the mantle of Batman is ultimately passed down to a freshly minted authoritarian taking up the trappings of the previous tyrant.

This pasta sucks. Stop using a proxy.

Believe it or not, I'm not doing that. You're wrong except the systems that produced and enabled the mafia, the Joker, Scarecrow, and Bane remain intact at the end of the trilogy and the mantle of Batman is ultimately passed down to a freshly minted authoritarian taking up the trappings of the previous tyrant.

You don't understand politics or economics or history well enough to make these analogies.

I understand where you're coming from. but you can't forget that the systems that produced and enabled the mafia, the Joker, Scarecrow, and Bane remain intact at the end of the trilogy and the mantle of Batman is ultimately passed down to a freshly minted authoritarian taking up the trappings of the previous tyrant.

I think you're making a lot of assumptions about my level of knowledge there. There are no real analogies except the systems that produced and enabled the mafia, the Joker, Scarecrow, and Bane remain intact at the end of the trilogy and the mantle of Batman is ultimately passed down to a freshly minted authoritarian taking up the trappings of the previous tyrant.

Please analyse the dark knight rises opening scene OP

>he criminal justice system undermines that system's ability to fight back against Bane.

What happened here in this sentence?

So instead of correcting him, and educating us all, you opted not to? Amazing. Truly.

It was mostly there to emphasize the inability of the authorities to deal with Bane. They are aware upfront that they are trying to squelch nuclear terrorism but are doubly deceived. First by the person that they think is selling them Dr. Pavel, who is in fact a double agent working for Bane. Secondly by the ruse making it appear that Dr. Pavel was killed in the plane crash. At every point the conventional authorities are outfoxed by the terrorists.

Other than that, you have to remember that Bane is a big guy except the systems that produced and enabled the mafia, the Joker, Scarecrow, and Bane remain intact at the end of the trilogy and the mantle of Batman is ultimately passed down to a freshly minted authoritarian taking up the trappings of the previous tyrant.

for you

Checked.