John Wayne thread, it's time for some American kino

John Wayne thread, it's time for some American kino.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=T12-qzPW9Gg
youtube.com/watch?v=JuASKA1yxp8
youtu.be/SR9nIMOrqy4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

John Wayne was to fat to be a cowboy. Eastwood > Wayne.

That'll be the day.

John Wayne was a fag.

>to
I agree that Eastwood is superior tho

youtube.com/watch?v=T12-qzPW9Gg

It's true you boys.

Went to his pad in Brentwood to install two-way mirrors.

He came to the door wearing a dress.

Wayne was a better actor.

youtube.com/watch?v=JuASKA1yxp8

Only commies don't like Wayne, or Indians.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Kinoest of Western Kino

The hell he was!

GO AWAY REPO MAN!

It's insane how many good movies Wayne was in. Including ones that weren't Westerns.

I just rented a Wayne movie earlier today, Red River, hyped to watch it this week.

Red River is great. Be prepared for a disappointing ending, though.

did someone really eat the peanuts out of his sheeeit?

I'll be honest I haven't much liked the Hawks stuff I've seen, except for Rio Bravo which is incredible, so my hopes are not that high.

John Wayne looked like that!?

>Strode recounted that Ford "kept needling Duke about his failure to make it as a football player", comparing him to Strode (a former NFL running back), whom he pronounced "a real football player". (Wayne's football career at USC had been curtailed by injuries.) He also ridiculed Wayne for failing to enlist during World War II, during which Ford filmed a series of widely praised combat documentaries for the Office of Strategic Services, and was wounded at the Battle of Midway, and Stewart served with distinction as a bomber pilot. "How rich did you get while Jimmy was risking his life?" he demanded. Wayne's avoidance of wartime service was a major source of guilt for him in his later years.

John Wayne was a draft-dodging pussy. It's not a coincidence that he was only good in movies directed by Ford or Hawks.

I think John Ford is one of the greatest of all directors but he was such a curmudgeonly asshole. Apparently he treated Wayne like shit on many of the films they made together.

I've also heard his whole tough guy machismo was a bit of an act though and he actually had a much softer side.

based Ford

My top 5 Duke movies in no real order

True Grit
Rio Bravo
Green Berets(guilty pleasure)
The Longest Day
The Cowboys

>not a single Ford movie

you serious mate?

He treated everyone like shit. One time he even punched Henry Fonda in the face.

Yeah I've heard about that too. There was one member of the crew who was getting abused every single day to the point that a few people asked Ford to go easy on him. Ford consented and the next day the crew member showed up to find that Ford had posted a giant billboard that said "BE NICE TO (crew member's name) FOR A WEEK" for everyone to see. After the week ended Ford ripped down the sign and started treating him like shit again.

It's a shame that so many geniuses were really not great human beings.

Ford was an asshole, but I doubt he would've been able to make the movies he did if he weren't.

That may be true.

Anyway, I was more making a general comment. A lot of great artists treated a lot of people like garbage.

Where my McQueen boyz at

>One time he even punched Henry Fonda in the face.
I'm sure Fonda deserved it DESU.

There seems to be two kind of Wayne fans: the auteurist ones who love his roles in Ford and Hawks films, and the ones who watch his popular films out of a sincere love for his persona

In full, he got so mad at Fonda for criticizing how he was directing a film of a play Fonda starred in that he punched Fonda out, then an hour later was crying and begging Fonda to forgive him. He spent the rest of the film so drunk he didn't finish most day's shoots

He was the archetypal sentimental Irish hardass

here mang

thicc

Fonda was a major cunt himself

>In August 1949, Fonda announced to Frances that he wanted a divorce so he could remarry; their 13 years of marriage had not been happy ones for him. Devastated by Fonda's confession, and plagued by emotional problems for many years, Frances went into the Austen Riggs Psychiatric Hospital in January 1950 for treatment. She committed suicide there on April 14. Before her death, she had written six notes to various individuals, but left no final message for her husband. Fonda quickly arranged a private funeral with only himself and his mother-in-law, Sophie Seymour, in attendance. Years later, Dr. Margaret Gibson, the psychiatrist who had treated Frances at Austen Riggs, described Fonda as "a cold, self-absorbed person, a complete narcissist."

>Fonda's relationship with his children has been described as "emotionally distant". Fonda loathed displays of feeling in himself or others, and this was a consistent part of his character. Whenever he felt that his emotional wall was being breached, he had outbursts of anger, exhibiting a furious temper that terrified his family.

>In Peter Fonda's 1998 autobiography Don't Tell Dad (1998), he described how he was never sure how his father felt about him. He never volunteered to his father that he loved him until he was elderly, and Peter finally heard, "I love you, son."

Not letting your kids to their moms funeral after she cuts her own throat is some rough shit

Looked over Ford's filmography and the only ones I really liked were Grapes of wrath, The Searchers, How the west was won, and How green was my valley.
I guess I'm not a fan of his work.

Fonda enlisted in the United States Navy to fight in World War II, saying, "I don't want to be in a fake war in a studio."

So did Jimmy Stewart but he never drove his wife to suicide

Stagecoach is an objectively perfect film

That's what I was getting at. I only ever heard terrible things about Fonda.

youtu.be/SR9nIMOrqy4
>3:13
>High Noon was commie trash
Based af 2bh

Three of those are among the weakest of his movies that I've seen. And I've seen about 30. You might be watching the wrong ones bro.

I guess I barely even know what his more popular cultural persona was. I don't think I've even seen him in a movie that wasn't made by Ford or Hawks or a director of that caliber.

How The West Was Won is definitely weak, but I don't know how anyone could put any of the other 3 listed on the bottom half of Ford's filmography. Only The Searchers is a masterpiece, but How Green Was My Valley and Grapes of Wrath are both high-tier Ford.

I can't agree with that at all. I find How Green Was My Valley incredibly sentimental to the point that it is rather difficult to watch. Grapes of Wrath is better but it's still fairly middle of the road for him I think, except for that justly famous monologue near the end.

My fave Fords are Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Searchers, The Long Gray Line, The Long Voyage Home, The Informer, Stagecoach, Young Mr. Lincoln, My Darling Clementine, Wagon Master, and Two Rode Together.

How Green Was My Valley would be at the very bottom of my list for Ford, though I have only seen between 25-30 so I'm sure there would be other ones from him that I like less. I have no idea how it seems to be well-liked though its reputation has obviously dwindled over the years, which makes sense to me.

nigger, every man's bathing suit looked like that at the time

story time, even its fake

It's a line from repo man you pleb.

John Wayne was 40 when WWII started

No I'm with him, Grapes of Wrath is my least favorite of the 6 Fords I've seen. It's so unrelentingly noble and simplistic that the end is nothing short of propaganda instead of a great humanist story.

I will never, EVER understand this anti-High Noon meme from the 50s. It's about a guy who stands by his values even when the rest of the world has turned their back to him. Apparently some think asking for help before an outnumbered gunfight is tantamount to cowardice, but that's still a massive leap to communism.
High Noon goes to shit the second he does suck it up and fight them effortlessly though.

Might want to check your math on that one.

I saw that movie in the theaters and haven't seen it since. I'm old. I liked it a lot though, should probably watch it again.

Fair enough, I know a lot of people can't get past Ford's cloying sentimentalism. I usually find it endearing. Our favorite Ford lists look pretty similar, except I'd probably throw Donovan's Reef and 7 Women in there.

Sorry, 35. Still way too old unless you are an officer. Plus the dude had terrible knees from his football days. Back when football was murder.

>He repeatedly wrote to John Ford saying he wanted to enlist, on one occasion inquiring whether he could get into Ford's military unit, but consistently kept postponing it until after "he finished just one or two pictures".

>Ford's military unit

His "military unit" was making films for the War Department

Yeah I find his Irish-themed films, outside of The Informer, to be too full of romanticism for me to really get into. The sentimentalism on display doesn't resonate with me. Especially since a lot of his best films are very deeply emotionally affecting, which I didn't expect at all, and I wasn't much moved by the ones we're discussing, same goes for The Quiet Man though I liked it a decent amount.

I haven't seen Donovan's Reef or 7 Women yet, though I definitely want to. I only started watching Ford stuff in January so there's still stuff I am looking forward to. Also want to see Cheyenne Autumn, The Lost Patrol, and Rio Grande.

It's pretty incredible how many amazing movies he made.

Yeah but Ford was still in the heat of battle man. He was on Omaha Beach for fuck sake.

Midway

John Ford was a patriot who risked his life filming on the frontlines you absolute piece of shit.

Both.