Doctor Who General /who/

Clara has a message for dramafags, unnecessary tripfags, newfags and redditors.

This is why she's so angry: Let's not repeat that, eh? And no, you aren't allowed to ask "What happened last thread?". Just read for yourselves.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OBoBhUFlpEE
tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Sydney
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What are you most excited about in S10?
Hard mode: no Simm and no Mondasian cibbers

she's so ugly
[mods pls no ban]

A Classic Who writer (and a good one at that) writing a NewWho ep

The quote from The Pilot about time being a structure relative to ourselves, ergo time being life, was really interesting to me and I'm intrigued to see what kinda themes Moff has at play there.

Nardole just has me really interested, I don't even know why.

A nice little 'reboot' for the show, it's been a while since a proper one (s5 i guess)

Having three people in the TARDIS again.

This alleged big surprise in the Next Time trailer after episode one has me pretty interested

Is Munro good though? It's been forever since I watched Survival

Honestly 12/Bill/Nardole seems like it could be a GOAT team.

I think so, I really love Survival, but 7 is my fav Classic era so I'm biased

Doctor Who aside, she's pretty well-known

I'm excited for more Nardole desu

> it's been a while since a proper one (s5 i guess)

I'd argue S8 is a reboot too, the Capaldi era is lot more gritty and adult than Matt's era.

we're almost certain that's going to be simm
just think, if they only cut it out of the press screening we'd have had a genuine surprise reveal

That's Simm.

It definitely wasn't the writing that let Survival down.

>there are actually people who like this show
LMAO BRITISH ACCENTS TIME TRAVELLING WACKY GENIUS LMAO!!!!!

It's better than fucking Disney Wars, innit?

Or maybe it isn't. I've been avoiding spoilers.

Survival is GOAT as fuck.

HOOWAYY MAN

I think it's very different from 11s era (tonally, the type of stories it's telling, the characterisation), but continuity-wise it's very connected. Not just Clara, but follow-on from the 50th with Gallifrey and all that too.

Fuck you

Hey that link doesn't work. What gives? Rascal!

hello I'm looking for puzzle pieces
do you have any puzzle pieces for me?

It's Simm, and I can 100% guarantee the BBC wanted it to leak to drum up hype, get RTD and Tennant fans back on board, and to combat the mid-season slump (that's when he first shows up). I'm baffled by people thinking the BBC screened the trailer for the press intentionally, then somehow didn't expect it to leak, but then again I work in PR so I'm biased here I suppose.

Not to mention Capaldi's first full episode has the Paternosters in it.

I found a color picture from this story on Twitter a while ago, thanks for reminding me to post it.

>drum up hype

>I work in PR
can you give away any secrets of what they do to manipulate people?

>those studio lights

Damn can you imagine having to set that up?

The pic is interesting, even if it is low quality. You aren't Cats are you?

The BBC? I don't know specifically, I've only ever worked with TV tangentially and not in the UK. But just in general, when an organisation does something, think of what they're gaining rather than what it looks like happened. It looks like "oh this Doctor Who thing leaked, what a shame", but think about the actual effects - people are talking about the show. That means more people will watch it. Even plenty of start-up companies have at least one comms person thinking through media strats like this, the BBC has a hell of a lot more. Rarely is anything unintentional, especially with geek fandoms who are honestly extremely easily to position targeted stories for.

>Pour one out for the person who reversed /who/'s polarity and got it back on track.

>Nardole just has me really interested, I don't even know why.
>Having three people in the TARDIS again.
This.

And it's not Doctor and Amy-and-Rory, it's Doctor and Nardole, Doctor and Bill, and Nardole and Bill.

Not that I didn't love Rory, but it's not the same thing as, say, Jamie and Zoe, or even Rose and Jack, and it will (I hope) be a nice change.

>The pic is interesting, even if it is low quality. You aren't Cats are you?

No sorry, I got it from Clayton Hickman's Twitter.

desu this thread is really good so far. It's like /who/ has been purged of all its shitposting.

Also, Nardole's not from present-day London.

(But it would be even better if neither of them were. Even the 80s-Bill rumour, if it had been true, would have been different enough to be an exciting change.)

Has there ever been any Doctor Who stories set in Australia?

A big chunk of The Enemy of the World.

I think that's the only one on TV that has anything more than a brief shoutout to Australia, but there are a few more in the other media.

wtf i love clara now

Awesome! Any audios there?

hnnng

DAMN. I would.

so is bill going to be the new ace?

An Unearthly Child was written by an Aussie.

I haven't listened to it but I'm assuming Butcher of Brisbane is set there

どちらドクターが一番かっこいい?

>Hexagora, the Earth part is in Brisbane.
>There's another Fivey one where Tegan has flashbacks in Sydney, and then there's a scene there.
>Dreamtime, all the past-era (I mean past for the main story, it's future from today) stuff is in the Australian outback.
>There's a companion chronicles where Two, Jamie, and Zoe go to future Australia.
>I think there's a companion chronicles where Two, Jamie, and Victoria go back to Enemy-of-the-World-era (meaning the "far future" of 2018) Australia.
>Butcher of Brisbane—haven't heard it, but I think it's about how Magnus Greel's army destroys Australia in the 51st century.

That's all I can remember (after skimming the list of BF titles), but there are probably a few more.

Thanks loads user, just what I was looking for!

Thoughts on this terrible list
youtube.com/watch?v=OBoBhUFlpEE

I tried looking at the Sydney page but I'm not gay so it wouldn't load

how does /who/ watch epsidoes?

i usually marathon 2-3 minutes at a time so it might even take me a week
>fap break
>sleep break
>shitposting break
>check out how many (you)s i've got from my shitposts break
>fap break

i also tend to play at 66% speed or else the doctor will go too fast for my brain

hold on let me try then

>tfw only just realised that shit trips was a play on "short trips"
I thought it was a statement about tripfags

why not both?

>I thought it was a statement about tripfags

What, coming from Gallifrey_Immigrant?

tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Sydney

/who/ is well known for its ability to be self deprecating

>There's another Fivey one where Tegan has flashbacks in Sydney, and then there's a scene there.
Waters of Amsterdam, probably?
>There's a companion chronicles where Two, Jamie, and Zoe go to future Australia.
I think you're talking about Echoes of Grey?
>I think there's a companion chronicles where Two, Jamie, and Victoria go back to Enemy-of-the-World-era (meaning the "far future" of 2018) Australia.
I don't see anything that fits. But that may just be TDC being autistic or incomplete; they don't list Dreamtime, either.

Meanwhile, the other two the first user didn't mention:
>The Gathering is Five solo, meeting Tegan later in her life in Brisbane.
>The Grel Escape is Benny, not Doctor Who, but it's basically all parallels to The Chase, with Australia sort of subbing for Mechanus.

>any list that has any Doctor more than two places away from where I'd put them
>even counting Hurt and putting him before any of the actual Doctors
>getting the location of the Baker era hiatus wrong
>implying The Greatest Show in the Galaxy is a "lame story"
>"The Caves of Androzari"

It's both, that's the joke.

It was both a reference to Short Trips, and a joke about terrible trip users are. I wasn't the user who coined the name, though.

Fuck you

I'm honestly looking forward to Bill. She might be a good counterpart for Twelve.

Best end.

vocaroo.com/i/s0TtnzgkQCGK
I did a foreman thing

:^)

Bill still seems slightly annoying to me but Pearl seems cool
I am interested to see their dynamic though

I wasn't looking forward to her based on the preview clip.

But after reading a couple of reviews, and the articles and interviews in DWM where everyone says why she works (instead of just the usual vacuous "she's great because she's great"), and now, yeah, I'm optimistic too.

I think it's a pity 12 only gets one season with new companions. Clala should've left earlier.

>best end
No end of anything is better than the one on pic related.

She wrote one "good" story containing her masterwork the Cheetah People. I wish I had thought of that. Apparently she's an award winning writer or something but the reality is that no one has actually read any of what she's done so who knows. I'm sure her story will be fine but her history with classic who doesn't make me any more hype other than that she's probably going to write a fine episode.

>"good"
what did user mean by this

>she's an award winning writer or something but the reality is that no one has actually read any of what she's done so who knows

I've seen ladybird ladybird and heard The Showman. she's good.

which episode is Munro doing in s10?

10, The Eaters of Light. The lost legion one.

It's 7/10 at best when being generous. Wouldn't be a highlight in any era before 6. Mostly interesting for being last.

I disagree. I think it's a 10/10.

>being this wrong

m8 it's a 10/10 and a highlight of the entire classic series.

What do you guys find was GOAT about it?

it's only a highlight because it's the last one

>Mostly interesting for being last.
I agree with that, it's so significant because it was the last. I think it's a solid serial though. Better than most of 6 and 7's era.

I feel like Ainley finally nailed the tone of that Master in it and was way more compelling than usual

It had a much stronger grip of tone in general than most serials, let alone 7 serials. Also some of the best music.

Also it's just a damn good story, and earns the runtime, unlike most other serials

Bill honestly sounds a lot like Anji from the novels, minus the City-banker-Thatcher-scum part that none of the writers ever figured out what to do with.

In fact, the first two things DWM tells about Bill, multiple times, are basically straight out of Anji's description in the EDA writers' bible:
>sci-fi savvy but not a sci-fi nerd
>has something to lose so she isn't looking for danger like most companions

She's also second-generation English and visibly a minority, and "definitely not a love interest for [Fitz/Nardole]".

Anyway, no idea whether the parallels are intentional or not, but I think Anji-minus-Thatcherite-scum could be a great companion for 12.

What's the best multi doctor episode, and why is it The Two Doctors>

Zagreus

because it was two random doctors and not an obligatory milestone thing

Completely agree. It was great for its time in the show but otherwise I don't see the magic.

I definitely agree that Ainley was really good in it and that's probably the best thing. Didn't really like any of the music in the show after around Trial. I thought the cheetah people, the living planet, and the turning into cat people was pretty corny though. Generally, the story had lots energy and drama and was interesting throughout but it just wasn't solid enough to be a 10/10 for me. But that's subjective.

How are the Early Adventures from Big Finish, are they worth listening to?

>Ace returning home, the setting is portrayed well and gives more depth to Ace; it's first story to show us more of what a companion's life was like before they met the Doctor
>interesting themes
>well paced, no dull moments
>the Master is actually written well as more than panto and Ainley pulls it off, honestly the best the Master has been since Delgado
>that cliffhanger where Ace gets the cheetah eyes
>the cheetah people manage to be scary but also intriguing, much like real wild animals

Wrong.

I'm not sure I agree but Throughton was very good in it. Those restaurant scenes are awesome. I really wish he was in it more. Season 22 was a really busy one. Daleks, cybermen, multi Doctors, the Master, Vengeance on Varos. Should have been awesome.

>great for its time
It's in one of the best seasons of classic Who.

That's the worst

What will happen to foreman now that the chibnall era is looking like it will be exactly what they were planning to do themselves?

>The Master committed a suicide-regeneration into a bad guy because the Doctor was too busy saving planets to be his boyfriend

what DID user mean by THIS

They wanted a return to RTD tone
That's what chinballs is going to be doing

The other thing they talk about in DWM is her not fully trusting the Doctor. Which is also like Anji—she didn't go through the whole overly-suspicious thing and then suddenly make the binary switch to trusting the Doctor with an almost religious faith, the way all NuWho companions and most novel companions have.

Too short for me. Combining 25 and 26, I agree. I really think that what happened to Colin Baker and Time and the Rani cast a huge black cloud of "we're just pretending like that didn't happen" across his entire era. Watching chronologically, it destroyed my immersion in the show because it was so bad in ways I couldn't have imagined. They made a really good call in casting McCoy and getting Cartmel instead of a starving professional. I don't know how they managed to swim all the way back to such quality.