The Gungan battle scene makes no sense

The Gungan battle scene makes no sense.

Their entire arsenal seems to be devoted to lobbing balls of plasma at each other with handheld slings or beast mounted catapults like pic related. But weapons like that wouldn't work underwater. Almost all of the mechanical energy exerted by a user of a sling or catapult would be wasted simply overcoming the resistance forces of water pressure. Not to mention the fact that underwater you lose the kinetic advantage of gravity. Slow, arching projectiles like the ones the Gungans used would be completely ineffective in their native environment.

If you fired pic related on the bottom of an ocean the projectile would barely leave the arm of the device and would likely only travel a short distance before slowly settling on the ocean floor. The Gungans should have been armed with harpoons, throwing spears and short slashing weapons.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9Mj7c1DEQ00
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Booma
youtube.com/watch?v=t3dI-ghYimg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They're amphibious and only have their kingdom underwater to avoid wars. The catapults are their contingency plan.

For who, the Naboo?

You're telling me they had an entire army, with its own weapon systems, chain of command and martial traditions ready to go in case they had to make war with an alien group of pacifists, living on the other side of the planet?

OP BTFO

Also why do the Gungans have anti-droid goo balls anyways?
Did the Naboo field battle droids too?
Do they fight their own wars with droids?

the naboo and the fish people were not friends
what other excuse do you need

Yeah, but why the anti-droid weapons though?
Only the space-Asians had droids

Wouldn't fish-Jamaicans have anti-Naboo weapons?

This bugged me even as a nine year old kid. How were they planning on defending themselves from organic adversaries? Are electric balls the best countermeasure for flesh and blood people?

do you mean the balls? i didn't think they were specifically anti android

you see the balls impact the tank and smash into it's armour.

so safe to say it's not specifically anti droid.

when every enemy has metallic armour your anti armour weapons become very useful

shit scene though jesus christ even as a kid it kind of irked me how no one died

>no water weapons
the fight in question took place on dry land if you didn't notice

> technologically unsophisticated force confined to only a few bodies of water
> amphibious, so can work in both land and water

Do you really think they wouldn't develop weapons to fight on land?

have lizards developed land weapons on earth?

No, so why would the gungans?

thats the part that made no sense to you? how about a 7 year old slave from tattooine jumping into a random naboo ship and being able to not only have complete knowledge of all the controls, but out-pilot veteran nabooean fighter pilots and federation droids, and penetrate and dismantle a heavily guarded battle station, which just so happened to be the one thing that disables every droid because they all happen to run on Wi-FI and there is no built-in backup or contingency plan if they somehow lose their signal.

>they all happen to run on Wi-FI and there is no built-in backup or contingency plan if they somehow lose their signal.
What's even more stupid is that we see that the droids have individual personalities.
They talk to each other. They even have ranks.
So it's clearly not all controlled remotely

But turning off the "Control centre" still shuts them down

He was able to pull all of that off because he tried spinning. It's a good trick.

Don't forget there was a child size helmet and goggles in the ship for him to wear. I'm surprised there wasn't a flight suit for him as well.

Would Qui-Gon have been justified if he just killed Wato and took Anakin and his mother with him?

>for who, the Naboo?
YES??? They fucking hated those people and didn't trust them at all, are you fucking dense? Have you even seen their leader, have you watched the fucking movie?

Why didn't Obi Wan just use Force Speed to save Qui Gon?

Will of the force, bro.

he didn't even need to kill him. just threaten him and say "i'm taking the boy and his mother. don't fuck with me"

all droids in SW films have personalities. Anakin killed at least tens of thousands of sentient droids when he destroyed that battle station. think about that for a moment, a 7 year old snuffed out the lives of conscious, albeit artificial, beings.
Lucas is a sick fuck.

he didn't even need to do that, he could've just gone to another junk dealer and used the mind trick on that dealer to swap credits for currency watto would take

Boil the ocean, Gungan deathcamps now.

he didn't even need to do that, he could have just rang up the jedi council, who seemingly have unlimited funds and influence, and gotten the credits wired to him without any kind of fuckery

I agree with

Worst case is Wato goes to the local thugs and they jump them before they can fix their ship and leave but....two Jedi should be able to handle that

For that matter, why not just have the Council come pick them up?

Or have Sheev do it. Surely a Senator for the Republic can have a fucking taxi sent to pick up his Queen

Bigger question is why did the Jedi or the Republic do anything about the slaves there?

Even if they somehow didnt know about the slaves there a Jedi master coming back and telling them would be proof enough for at least a token force to go there and free them all

yeah but the question was about freeing anakin and his mother

Blah blah blah something Hutt controlled space

>darth maul has high ground meme
>gets fucked

Explain yourselves.

Why is slavery even legal?

I thought The Old Republic was supposed to be an enlightened Democracy. Obi Wan referred to it as a 'more civilized age'. What's so civilized about human slavery?

>this is the problem
>not the fact they met in an open field without seeking any sort of advantage
Let's just kill countless men because
Whoever ordered that shit should have been hung

Abso-fucking-lutely

Shit he didn't even need to kill Watto that smelly Persian fuck. Just take anakins mom and throw double-fingers on the way out of town.

What was watto going to do? Complain to the Hutts? Watto bet against Anakin in the bunta eve and was now in major debt to them. Fight them for a slave? Get sabered flying Jew-insect.

Qui-gon was willing to defy the Order and bring this adolescent back to be trained contrary to tradition. He couldn't go one half-step further and make his mom a janny there too?

Fuck that movie was so fucking bad Jesus Christ it gets me every time.

Why didn't Qui Gon just buy back his mom after they won the race and the prize money?

He didn't know how important it was, Obi Wan learned its importance in that moment and used it later on Anakin to great effect

He did that

>Hello Jedi emergency line, this is Ki Adi speaking
>Hi Ki its Qui, look can you please send the Jedi taxi to pick us up
>I'm sorry Qui but the taxi is picking up some wookie girls for...a party

The expanded universe really goes into his wookie fetish

Outer rim planets were controlled by the Hutt cartel and shit like Black Sun. The republics borders just didn't extend out there.

Or just like fucking free her and send her to Naboo or something.

It was pretty clear that Tatooine was a shithole and anywhere else would be a huge improvement

Republic doesn't control the entire galaxy. The movie goes out of the way to explain Tatooine is controlled by the Hutts

tatooine is outside the republic

>Called the galactic republic
>Does not control the galaxy

Shit half the galaxy is still uncharted at that point. At best in galactic history it's only ever been like 3/4ths mapped

What was Qui Gon and Obi Wan planning to do when they stowed away on the droid ships to Naboo? They had no idea Jar Jar would be there to take them to the Goonga sea world. Were they just going to use Force Speed to outrun the droids?

Just shows you what massive cunts the jedi were

>A master frees one slave and then doesnt bother with the rest
>Anakin spends like 10 years being trained, surely has mentioned more than once is mother is a SLAVE

No one cares or bothers to go, not even fucking Anakin

The two of them could literally solo the droid army. Have you seen how useless those things are?

Yeah but they stowed away on the ships to warn the people of Naboo of the invasion. How were they going to get there

I know right.

>gee anakin is super strong with the force but being forcibly separated from his mother all while knowing she's still enslaved on a shit planet is really bringing out the worst in him
>should we buy her freedom?
>no, attachments lead to the dark side. Let her die in bondage. The kid will get over it.

Piss poor worldbuilding. Fuck the prequels so hard.

compare the battle of hoth to this atrocity. its embarrassing that practical effects from the 80s destroys CGI from the 2000s. all that money and technology and we got 2 copy pasted armies walking into eachother in ranks

youtube.com/watch?v=9Mj7c1DEQ00

why are they even advancing here again? gungans are literally armed with sticks and slingshots and these fucking droids which are useless in hand to hand combat have laser rifles.

Obi Wan had the high ground from A Certain Point of View

there was a force field surrounding the gungans

>Let's have our droids march in what is practically a parade formation, that way only the droids in the very front row can fire their weapons
>Also, let's not deploy any kind of grenades or explosives against these tightly packed aliens

This was a problem in all the prequels desu. Both droids and clone troopers tactics both boil down to "march towards the enemy while firing from the hip." Although to be fair, clone troopers got a little more animated in Episode 3.

why are the gungans not on the very edge of the shield and just btfo'ing them 1 by 1 as they step through?

I think you answered your own question user. Millennial trash that he is

The prequels are terrible movies. Terrible, terrible movies.

Well they are plasma not electricity. Melt flesh too

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Booma

>amphibian people have different weapons for land and water
Even their shield shit makes sense with the city.

Name a more shit tier franchise than Star Wars, I'll wait.

fellowship of the ring trilogy.

why do you assume the naboo people were always pacifist? Japan is a pacifist nation (or should be)

The Lord of the Rings has an interesting story, characters and location so it's better already I'm afraid.

>destroy the mcguffin to end the dark lords invasion
>interesting story

>any of the characters
>being anything other than 1 dimensional

>locations
>new zealand

This anons taste

>land weapons not meant for water
Thinking about it? If they had trouble with the Naboo prior? They would have an arsenal of land based weapons to deal with the Naboo.

>did the naboo field battle droids
I expect they did, prior to this incident they were a part of the galactic republic, and prior to the clone war, prior to the separatists becoming separatists, and just being a part of the republic themselves, the republic used their battle droids - it's why the separatists were able to stand against the republic at all. Because they took the Republic army of battle droids with them, because they were the manufacturers.

At least that's how I understood it.

Plasma rather than electricity. Isn't electricity a plasma itself? Much like fire is a plasma?

>franchise designed to sell toys to children
>franchise that both children and adults can enjoy
Tough choice.

It's like saying the UN controls the entire planet and prevents slavery from happening in remote regions of Africa.

Will OP ever recover

>how about a 7 year old slave from tattooine jumping into a random naboo ship and being able to not only have complete knowledge of all the controls,
The pilot of Queen Amidala's ship was showing him the controls when they were flying back to Naboo, so it's not too much of a stretch to assume that the controls in that ship were similar to the ones in the Naboo starfighter.

>but out-pilot veteran nabooean fighter pilots and federation droids, and penetrate and dismantle a heavily guarded battle station,
He was shown to be a good pilot because of pod racing. Also, R2 was there on autopilot to help Anakin the entire time.

>which just so happened to be the one thing that disables every droid because they all happen to run on Wi-FI and there is no built-in backup or contingency plan if they somehow lose their signal.
Nute Gunray and Rune Haako were idiots and pawns of Sidious, who promised them earlier that they wouldn't have much resistance when it came to creating a blockade on Naboo and getting the queen to sign the treaty. Also, not all technology is perfect.

At least watch the movie before trying to fit in by pretending to hate it.

>mrw reading the first two posts

Fire and electricity aren't plasma

this is probably one of the worse battles of the prequels. definitely a blemish upon the otherwise memeworthy Ep. 1

>how about a 7 year old slave from tattooine jumping into a random naboo ship and being able to not only have complete knowledge of all the controls
Except he didn't, he was fiddling around with them and accidentally ended up taking off because he didn't know a goddamn thing about what he was doing.

>but out-pilot veteran nabooean fighter pilots
When did he ever do this? All he did was spin around and let R2-D2 do everything for him.

>and federation droids
Droids are dumb as shit. Their strength is in their sheer numbers and nothing else.

>and penetrate and dismantle a heavily guarded battle station,
By sheer luck, and because R2-D2 was guiding him literally the entire time.

>which just so happened to be the one thing that disables every droid because they all happen to run on Wi-FI and there is no built-in backup or contingency plan if they somehow lose their signal.
A prequel having older, more inferior technology? I'll be damned.

Honestly guys, you don't even need this much justification. Force Sensitives in the setting pick up new skills and languages very easily, sometimes without apparently learning them through traditional means. This is because of a little known power, actually two powers, that the Force can provide. They're rarely practiced, and tend to be more passives things that trigger when the Sensitive in question simply has an affinity for a thing.

1. Through contact or near contact with a living being, sometimes a force sensitive can quickly intuit their language or other manners of communication.

2. Through contact or near contact with a living, or unliving, thing, a force sensitive can sometimes glean details about them. With a living being this is a more passive version of their empathic and mind reading abilities, where they quickly pick up a skill set the person has. With unliving things, like an alien language etched into stone in a ruin, or a tool used by a mechanic, they have a form of psychometry or 'object history' reading, that allows them to pick up the etched language or pick up the skills of the being that used the tool.

Many force sensitives in the setting do this without even knowing it. It's a gift that's selective and rarely controlled. It's why a force sensitive might pick one thing up like THAT but struggle with learning something else, like wielding a light saber. The affinity for the skill or language or whatever in the first place seems to matter greatly as well.

Anakin don't try to jump like i did once, it worked perfectly but you have no power over me

>cgi from the 2000s
>movie released in 1999

Anakin is a gary stu. Have you not seen force awakens?

>At least watch the movie before trying to fit in by pretending to hate it.

Not him, but I watched them. I'm not pretending either when I say they are garbage

gotta start somewhere if you want VFX to progress.

It's true. I don't even mean it as an insult. Jedi, Sith, Force Sensitives in general, anyone capable of using the Force in the setting "IS" a mary/gary sue/stu. That's just how it is. That's not a bad thing. It's why the ending of Rogue One is one of the best depictions of a Sith in the entire Star Wars movie series. Because you saw just how terrifying that is for normal everyday people to come up against, just how out of your depth you are when you run across one of these people. If you meet one of the good ones you're lucky, but just look at that scene in Rogue One at the end, and you understand, suddenly, perfectly why normal beings in the Galaxy don't trust Force Sensitives or Jedi, anymore than the Sith, and don't see them as any different really. They can all fucking kill you. They can all fuck with your mind and emotions. They all have the ability to pick up new skills, languages, etc with little or no training by picking them up from the mind of someone or something, or even an object. See: for a better explanation of that last bit.

>people claim SW is sci-fi

found the two r/starwars redditors

youtube.com/watch?v=t3dI-ghYimg

>pacifists
>have some of the best fighters for the time period

Anakin training to be a Jedi while still being able to access his freed slave of a mother would have made his training absolutely impossible.

Really, she should have been posthumously "Virgin Mary" while Anakin has some connection to Luke's Uncle and Aunt that he could have returned to meet in Episode 2.

Better yet, they could have filled the void as the youngling friends that did absolutely nothing and Anakin simply takes C3-PO with him when he leaves the planet.

This would mean Anakin has absolutely no reason to return to his homeworld in Episode 2 which would free up so much time for that movie to do something else.

are you fucking retarded?
obi-wan had obviously taught anakin like
>hey dawg if you ever find yourself in a position where your opponent has the high ground, just flip over the fucker and slash him in half. i did it with darth maul shit was cash
>okay master
>skip to mustafar
>anakin you stupid fuck don't try to fucking jump over me i literally taught you that goddamn trick you stupid fuck i'll just slash you mid air
>lol fug u master :--Dd

See also the last Obi-wan/Maul fight. Obi-wan is the only person who learns from shit like that.

Did the sand people use her as a sex slave?

But Obi-Wan and Anakin were good friends and still fought each other

Gungans?

Goongans?

That's from the remaster.

Why are Star Wars arguments always so amusing?

because OP thinks it's being clever and gets btfo in 1 post

you just said that a fucking robot was a better pilot than elite pilots from Naboos airforce. do you realize how fucking stupid that is? why doesnt Naboo just use R2 robots to pilot their fucking ships if they're better at the job than humans?

The Naboo and the Gungans have never trusted each other
Both sides have always had relatively weak defence forces but were prepared to engage against each other

also meant for this dumbass

They use plasma balls because they can travel thru their shield generators and hit the enemy, whereas standard starwars guns cant

Why don't they design guns that shoot miniaturized versions?

did you forget how the slaves had implants in their necks which would explode if they disobeyed their master?