Daily Japanese Thread - DJT #1924

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Discuss the process of learning Japanese.

Previous thread:
死ななないようにして下さい。
失礼、噛みました

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/色男
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_novel#cite_note-sfwa_novel_categories-5
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs
tanos.co.uk/jlpt/jlpt2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>死ななないようにして下さい。
>失礼、噛みました
かわいいわ

>3:16 of "I'm horny! I'm horny! Please, let me fuck my love!"
>sad
I'm more annoyed at this exploding audio clipping than anything.

このかわいい子は誰?

this thread gets off to a good start

八九寺真宵に頼まれた癖にスレを死なせるつもりか

転生掲示

Is 色男 a correct translation for "person of color"?

>lady's man, lady-killer, handsome man
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/色男

if you're a cuck, yea

おはー
みんあ本語すげぇじょうず

リア充死ね リア充死ね 爆発しろ!

早過ぎて死なないで! まだ若い、スレ!
自分の可能を実現せずに人生を終えるな!

no, 黒人 is about right though

カナダさんもとてもじょうずですね~
漢字もほぼできるってすご~いよね!

It took me 30 mins to read this and I added 38 words to anki.
A-am I gonna make it, anons?

It will take me 50 minutes. You did a good job, user.

You’re 38 words closer to making it.

Even a snail can travel across the world. Keep at it!

overall had some problems here and there
but tfw could read 外套 without furigana

Hi there japbros, is there caffeine in this drink?
I love it but I have to wake up early tommorow for exams so if there is caffeine in it i wont drink it

please help im thirsty

Nope, no mention of it containing caffeine.

Has lots of caffeine

It just contains 50% caffeine, so only drink half and you should be good.

So what motivates you guys to study Japanese is anime? Then what motivates you when it comes to studying other languages?

quite contradicting
ill save it for tommorow thanks ladsp

I am learning Japanese to read food labels.

caffeine looks like this カフェイン
I don't see it right now, but I'm also lazy

I doubt too many people here are studying any other languages

Food label???are you muslim or something?
Moi. Thought European people would be all inclined to several languages.

No, I don't care about anime. I just want to be able to read Japanese literature (not manga, actual books) in the original language. The writing system is beautiful as well.

I'm going to go against the grain and say you should probably read something easier for now. You need to read a lot, and if it takes you this long to read something that short, you're just not going to get enough sentences to acquire the language.

learning french on the side when I don't feel like doing anything japanese related

basically, I want to be able to speak several languages so I can feel really smug about it
also it's a neighbour country, it doesn't sound bad, they have some decent movies, I might actually encounter some french people, many ressources available, relatively easy to learn if you set your mind to it

Authentic Japanophile... what i've been looking for...
French is also nice, and it's very facile once you get accustomed to anglais.

I have to agree with burger-san here personally, I also made the mistake of spending a lot of time on texts that were way too hard when I started learning and in hindsight I have to say it only set me back

It's a light novel. How much easier can it get?

>Thought European people would be all inclined to several languages
I think most of us just learn English and possibly take some other European language in school but probably never properly learn it

>So what motivates you guys to study Japanese is anime?
Anime, manga, games, literature, music and e-peen. Those would be the main sources of motivation for me.
>Then what motivates you when it comes to studying other languages?
Few things, but learning most other languages isn't even remotely close to as big of a commitment as learning Japanese is, so it's a lot easier to keep studying them.

manga for example

I'd spend 10x as long looking up kanji or trying to use an OCR as I would just simply using rikai.

>and possibly take some other European language in school but probably never properly learn it
that's the way it is with french here, many people have it in school, but barely anyone is able to speak it, let alone years after school is over

Wanna be a polyglot.
Read Yukio Mishrma.

And that's exactly why I wish they'd stop teaching foreign languages here in America. They're literally useless. No one is going to speak German with you unless you live next to the Pennsylvania Dutch or know the random German immigrant.

Teaching languages in school is generally useless if it's not something you will use atleast once a week or something. The reason everyone learns English so well is because a lot of entertainment is in English. This is also why Japan has trouble learning English, they dub all their entertainment so they don't get to hear it constantly

kanjitomo works most of the time if the overall quality isn't too bad

I'm surprised children's books (like, age 5) aren't recommended more often. After all, they're all about teaching children the language in a very simple and plain way.

It took me 30 seconds and I still haven't made it.

>The average length of a light novel is about 50,000 words, the equivalent size of an American novel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_novel#cite_note-sfwa_novel_categories-5

that's pretty interesting, you can't just fill your novel with random bullshit to make it longer
I think this speaks for a higher level than we in the west would expect from young adult literature

何故か今日はなんか気が重い

あるある

>カードゲームの厳しさを教えてあげようと誘った知り合いにカードゲームの厳しさを教えられました。

I can't make heads or tails of this. Any help please?

>カードゲームの厳しさを教えてあげようと誘った知り合いにカードゲームの厳しさを教えられました。

カードゲームの厳しさを教えてあげよう + と誘った + 知り合い
+
にカードゲームの厳しさを教えられました。

I was taught the strictness of card games
+
by an acquaintance + who I had invited + with plans to teach them the strictness of card games

?

Can someone help with the last two lines here? 基準とする has been throwing me off in particular when it's applied to a person (こころ here). My understanding is currently of this (however wrong it is):
>I thought maybe that word applied to her (親友), means the same to me as well.
>Basically, maybe I hold her (see her) as a friend also.

I thought that's what it might say but it still doesn't make much sense. Thank you.

what's this from, I'm pretty sure we had this exact same sentence here before

It's from Shadowverse Comic Anthology.

I read the 2nd sentence more like "in other words, that (word) too, which/that I have in mind, may be 'friendship'"
it's a crappy translation I know, but I think you'll get the gist of it

not yet sure about the first one though

I've recently started reading Japanese with the same mindset I use to read Polish, it's helping alot since I dont need to keep thinking of equivalents for many phrases.
If you know an inflective language try it! English is poisonous for learning new languages

You'll never speak Japanese. Give up now.

I think それも is just clarifying what 言葉 is as 親友.
I have no idea what the writer's intent was with 基準とする besides maybe something like "seeing/basing her (as a friend)", if someone has a better answer I'd appreciate it.

決して諦めらないよ。 くそ食らえ、魔。

That pack you're reading is one of the first I read and it was great to get a feel for it. If people don't have the independence of mind to search for proper resources themselves, they're simply not cut out (not autodidact enough) to learn a language on their own. It's quite obvious that building your reading skills on these types of books and afterwards moving on to stuff like Yotsuba is optimal, as long as you don't linger too much in the beginner stage and start challenging yourself as soon as possible. Stuff like this goes without saying, and too many people are waiting to be spoonfed around here.

2bh I have no idea what the context of this is or who even does the talking, but your translations don't make any sense to me

>こころを基準とするような言葉
I'd translate that part as "a word that seems to bear reference to the heart/is based upon the heart" or something

決して!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the くそ食らえ、 adding that to my mining deck

I want to read more but I already added like 60 words to anki today. I know what happens when you overdo it (anki hell).
Is it worth it to just read anyways without adding the words?

ありがとう

大丈夫?

Of course. Reading and listening is how you learn Japanese. Anki should be treated as a supplement to that, not vice versa. Also, most people build up a backlog of words in Anki. You don't need to do every word as soon as you mine it.

Poor 黒衣の男くん.

He's fucked.

>衣服を押し上げる隆々たる肉体は実戦によって鍛え抜かれたものであるか、

That '押し上げる隆々たる' is really spooking me. I've never seen two conjugated verbs right next to each other like that... I guess it's because たる isn't a real verb and it's just an adjective? Can someone provide a soothing explanation.

Also, what would the distinction here be by using 押し上げる instead of 押し上げている? (assuming you could even use 押し上げている, please be gentle)

We're the same, user. That entire sentence was so confusing to me.

All I really know for certain is that this guy is pretty scary looking.

Stop reading chuuni shit.

i doubt the nips have such euphemisms.

ニガーはいいだよ

Does someone want to buy some kindle books on Amazon for me?

Does anyone else find stylized kana near impossible to read? Is there a trick to it?

Underage ban

He could just be a poor neet

Then he should be sorting out his life instead of learning a language simply for posturing.

>he thinks showing off your power level isn't the most important thing you can do

Well there is some value in doing so when playing the social chess game of life, but you have to at least have some other stuff sorted out first.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

Can't we just skip the social belonging?

Not if you want to retain your sanity throughout your life. It's like learning japanese, it won't be as much of a chore if you don't see it as one, and if you can set attainable goals for yourself.

Who is that goddess?

Also, that hierarchy of needs includes "self-esteem" which is just bullshit they shovel on children, which is why schools give out worthless participation awards in some attempt to build it up. Admiring yourself is just silly. It sounds nice but it's useless.
If they're using it in place of confidence they're mistaken. Confidence comes from knowing you can do something from actually doing it, not wishing yourself into it. The next stage is self-actualization which basically just means doing shit. Both stages are the same thing: gain confidence from doing things.
The rest of this thing looks shitty, too. Self-transcendence is just believing in God (or the State/Communism if you're an atheist).

Well what you're talking about is temporary/artificial self-esteem, which is good to build off of in the short term, but you're right about it being negative in the long run if you don't develop true self-esteem, which is attained though worthwhile accomplishments.

As for the goddess, I don't know but I would certainly put it in her maslow.

おやすみ

How do I start reading? I've got a kindle and I've got a bunch of books from the library on it but I'm looking up words literally all the time. How many of these should I be adding to anki? Do I just keep brute forcing my way through?

Don't be too hasty in adding them to Anki if you're only starting out reading. Some words are so common that it's pointless to add them (like the words that are in Tae Kim).

ive noticed that i can read the sentences very well in the core 6k but as soon as i push good and go to the next card im not able to remember or repeat the same sentence.
How do i get better at this?

Not sure what you mean. Are you trying to memorize the sentence in each card in the 6k deck? You shouldn't bother reading the sentences once you have reviewed a card a couple of times. Just focus on the word only and work through your reviews.

Kokoro is the basis of what he says; I think he's like me.
That is, the way I feel about Kokoro, that may also be "friendship".

>just an adjective?
Yes.
>assuming you could even use 押し上げている,
Also yes.
And practically no difference in this case.
You are doing good.

>(or the State/Communism if you're an atheist).

I just realized I'm retarded, I always read Kokoro as "heart"
oh well

Cheers

I hate Japanese.

>So what motivates you guys to study Japanese is anime?
No, I was always interested in Asia and especially Japan, Japans history and culture always fascinated me for some reason.
Anime, manga or video games came a little later.
I personally started learning after spending 2 wonderful weeks in Japan, so I decided I want to visit again and be able to speak to Japanese people this time.

>Then what motivates you when it comes to studying other languages?
English is interesting cause you can talk to people all other the world, at least a little bit.
It's also the language of the internet and computers so I kinda learned it passively while playing around with my PC (together with my subpar english lessons in school)

Other languages?
I had Spanish at school but dropped it, didn't care about the language or the people that speak it so it was a torture to learn.

I'm thinking of taking the N2 next year but I wanted to know for sure how many kanji / words I need to / should know, however I didn't find anything pertaining to this in the guide, and on the net I can only find info of pre-2010 JLPT when it was 4 levels instead of 5

tanos.co.uk/jlpt/jlpt2/