"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy...

>"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control."
- Simon Pegg

>"A sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times? I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities"
- Alec Guinness

>"I don't think they are making [comic book movies] an elevated art form, I think it's still just Batman running around in a stupid cape.. It's for kids, it's adolescent in its core. "
- David Cronenberg

>"I don't want to see or make films about super heroes that fly around in spandex and a cape solving the problems of the world. I think it's fine for children, children of all ages by the way, but it's not for me."
- William Friedkin

>“They have been poison, this cultural genocide, Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”
- Alejandro Iñárritu

>"Superman makes me vomit, Batman and all of that. That whole empire... this religion... It is so important that superheroes suffer... I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States."
- Alejandro Jodorowsky

new capeshit, here is the based anticape shitposter again

>Simon Pegg
>the guy acting in Star Trek with Karl Urban who plays a machine gun wielding god in this

Friedkin isn't even shitting on it. Just that it's not for him.

For the record, I think Thor 3 might be a decent download on my phone sometime in 2018.

>he watches movies on his phone

For capeshit yeah. When I can avoid all the overblown sound editing and manipulative visuals I can find the substance easier.

That is, if there is anything to begin with.

>>"Superman makes me vomit, Batman and all of that. That whole empire... this religion... It is so important that superheroes suffer... I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States."
>- Alejandro Jodorowsky
DCucks btfo

BREAKING NEWS:
Old guys don't like an art form considered "lame" when they were growing up. More at 11.

If you want to group most comic book films together as seemingly inconsequential crap then it makes sense.

But sometimes people just forgot that they go to movies to have fun.

>a bunch of faggots that can't have fun with anything

Superhero movies are kind of mindless and boring action products, but I really think all these people are massively dramatizing the effect of what is essentially just the same boring action movies hollywood has been making for decades, but this time with main characters that are bit more snazzy than gruff ex-millitary rogue loner.

butthurt manchild detected

protip: grow the fuck up

This, there has always been mindless action movies and there always will be. It's no different than all those shit 90's movies Arnie and Stallone and the rest were shitting out.

Heh, those are little babbies. I transcended both capeshitters and cinephiles because i can enjoy both.

Superheroes are the modern mythology. Their stories exist for the same reasons stories of Hercules, Thor, Old Man Coyote or Maui exist; they show a flawed man thrust into greatness and signify to the culture it's own expectations for what greatness is, and serve as easy to digest tales of basic morality for the culture's children.

They may not say anything new or complex, but they are an important aspect of our society and will be studied by scholars looking for insight into modern society five hundred years from now.

Also Star Wars.

These films may not be great, but they are significant.

'no'

>old cape stuff preach pretty good values

>telling people its stupid and for kids
>same guy who tell it make cuck movies where the protagonist have sex with his wife and they talk how he want to suck dick, later on his wife fuck a guy in front of him, later on he gave the same guy a blowjob......
>but the problem is the cape preaching about helping people, being good, Defend those who can’t defend themselves, compassion, never give up etc...

Yup.

Running Man and Commando was pure kino

Going to a film school, it's fascinating looking at the difference between filmmakers who want to make auteur work and those who want to make goofy cape stuff.
The fantasy/sci-fi/adventure makers put so much passion into their work, they're so happy and invested. But the auteurs just let their brains run on autopilot for their stories. It's always the same (and I mean the EXACT same) plots about drug abuse, sexual discomfort, cucking, etc. Always derivative of the "great auteurs".

They're these drones who ramble on and on about art theories and, yet when they're asked to make something cohesive and original, they fall flat on their face.

Not only that, but they CONSTANTLY shit on things they don't like, even if it's technically "good" out of a seriously misplaced sense of self importance. You see it with a lot of the teachers here too, which would be fine if they weren't mostly failed filmmakers bitterly installing their philosophy into these acid-softened wannabe Kubricks.

I wanna write for kid's TV, so maybe I'm biased, but it's interesting to watch that divide between those who are passionate about good morals, genuine philosophical pondering, and fun, and those who rely on the darkness and "irony" to churn out the same cookie-cutter barbiturates.

By that logic aesops fables should be analyzed for insight into Greek society.

They're not wrong

Less impactful thatn the proper myths, but that wouldn't strictly be wrong.

I can't imagine Simon Pegg of all people saying something like that.

Just watched the trailer for the first time. It was cringe as fuck.

> "How did I get here?" Meme
> meme music
> meme lolsorandom quip
> meme punch freeze-frame

Goddamn, how do people get excited for this shit?

can you go one day without typing the word "meme"?

Nope :^)

then why waste your time with it when you can watch an actual movie

what does thorkino has to do with this? it's above the average capeshit

>you can't be an adult with adult responsibilities and still enjoy comics/games XDDDD

I agree with all of this 100%. However, the world is filled with simple-minded people who enjoy capeshit, so why not make a profit off that? In the end, it doesn't stop good films from being made. It won't make intelligent people dumber.

He elaborated on his statement in a blog
>Recent developments in popular culture were arguably predicted by the French philosopher and cultural theorist, Jean Baudrillard in his book, ‘America’, in which he talks about the infantilzation of society. Put simply, this is the idea that as a society, we are kept in a state of arrested development by dominant forces in order to keep us more pliant. We are made passionate about the things that occupied us as children as a means of drawing our attentions away from the things we really should be invested in, inequality, corruption, economic injustice etc. It makes sense that when faced with the awfulness of the world, the harsh realities that surround us, our instinct is to seek comfort, and where else were the majority of us most comfortable than our youth? A time when we were shielded from painful truths by our recreational passions, the toys we played with, the games we played, the comics we read. There was probably more discussion on Twitter about the The Force Awakens and the Batman vs Superman trailers than there was about the Nepalese earthquake or the British general election.

"Star Wars is adolescent nonsense; Close Encounters is obscurantist drivel; Star Trek can turn your brains to puree of bat guano."

Pegg really took the red pill. He used to be defensive about "muh geek culture"

Well...
>The ‘dumbing down’ comment came off as a huge generalisation by an A-grade asshorn. I did not mean that science fiction or fantasy are dumb, far from it. How could I say that? In the words of Han Solo, “Hey, it’s me!” In the last two weeks, I have seen two brilliant exponents of the genre. Ex Machina and Mad Max: Fury Road, both of which had my head spinning in different and wonderful ways and are both very grown up films (although Max has a youthful exuberance which is nothing’s short of joyous, thanks George Miller, 70) I’ve yet to see Tomorrowland but with Brad Bird at the helm, it cannot be anything but a hugely entertaining think piece.

>I guess what I meant was, the more spectacle becomes the driving creative priority, the less thoughtful or challenging the films can become.

Looks fun

Maybe I'm just getting old but the hype is really over the top for this one

Obvious bait. Also it adresses all of Sup Forums. And also Jodo is a nut.

I haven't seen any Capeshit since Watchmen came out which I watched and enjoyed since I like the source material but I couldn't stomach Iron Man for some reason, just did not click with me, I can't see why people love it but did I make the right decision in swearing off of Capeshit that year?

Yeah

I have watched all of them out of nostalgia/boredom/morbid curiosity and somehow still find myself disappointed every time

Every time I watch one I say "cant be any worse than the last one...". I'm always somewhat surprised that it is.

>Mad Max: Fury Road
>grown up film
Opinion happily discarded.

Watchmen is the only good capeshit.

Kind of hard to come off more mature when you call someone "butthurt". Just saying.

That would honestly explain why SJWs exist.

And the modern mythology is controlled by a handful of corporations. Thanks to unlimited copyright expansion, the mythology is devoid of any moral relevance. They are empty in spirit, and provide no real standards of virtue to live by.

King Arthur wasn't owned by a Jewish company, and neither was Greek mythology and stories. The represented a pure connection to the people.

why do critics only watch DC?

>what is working

People work at mcdonalds or factories, but that doesn’t mean they can't recognize how unhealthy and polluted it is.

Good analogy.

because once in a while critics have to cleanse their palette by going to the bottom of the barrel

How do we save western culture?

End all copyright laws. Abolish the civil rights act.

>I’ve yet to see Tomorrowland but with Brad Bird at the helm, it cannot be anything but a hugely entertaining think piece.

Maybe watch Guardians

he's right tho. you can look up that shit over at tv tropes. its the same lousy recipe as lady ghost busters... where is the outrage this time around?

>t. people who play make believe for a living

That trailer is more addictive than crack.

He's my shitposting friend!

>Trying this hard
This is Sup Forums, you're not impressing anybody