Why isn't Football represented in the Olympics?

Are other countries scared that we are just going to dominate them more? I don't see how a game with the clout of Football is not represented but curling is.

Other urls found in this thread:

cnn.com/2017/07/25/health/cte-nfl-players-brains-study/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=S3QDOWk1qIo
youtube.com/watch?v=tri3azu-X84
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because nobody gives a shit about it outside the US.

too many injuries, and too many countries just don't know how to play. it's not that they're scared, it would be like if the US entered a cricket tournament. nobody would understand what's going on and we would be losing badly.

Then why is basketball allowed when the US just dominates that too

Because it would be ugly unless the US only played division 3 athletes
Scratch that it will still be ugly because we're the only country who gives a fuck other than the occasional australian punter

because other countries understand the rules, and the US has been defeated before so it gives them a david vs goliath type of motivation, it's fun.

Why don't the other countries just read the Wikipedia page

It's about interest, user. Other countries don't give a fuck about football. Countries actually give a fuck about basketball.

Not enough countries play it. This is the actual reason.

But America has more clout we count as atleast 15 smaller countries

Literally would be fine with it as long as it replaced one of the 1.2bn swimming competitions.

L.A. 2028, there's gonna be 8 man gridiron or flag football.

That's why basketball is in, user. Football is THAT unpopular.

How do we make football more popular in third world shitholes then?

Because they physically would die against our players.

NFL players are genetic freaks who have trained roughly half their lives too destroy other people. You put someone like Jason peters or even gronk against the best athletes the world has in physical combat that is the nfl it would just be broken bones, torn tendons and ligaments. It would be death every other game

You've got to understand, NFL players are bigger, faster, stronger, physically harder, have better endurance, have fucking insane bone density for years of impacts, they are essentially supermen. Even NBA players would die in the nfl, no other sport is even close. Most nfl players die with CTE, or brain damage. Like 95% plus. Every play with contact is like a car wreck. The world simply does not have athletes who are fast enough, strong enough, hardened enough to compete with nfl players. You put messi or ronaldo in the nfl and they'd fucking have broken legs, ribs, spines, fractured skulls, whiplast you name it.

Not going to happen if it hasn't by this point. Football's popularity is waning, not increasing. The CTE scandal is absolutely insane and is getting worse with more studies and scientific advancement.

I don't think all the countries have enough money to create that many commercials to air every 5 minutes during the game

Even a surprising number of high schoolers who play football have CTE. That's what's going to kill it in the next 20 years.

Oh yeah. I'm not denying it at all. I'm explaining how insanely brutal the game is and why the rest of the world couldn't even hope to compete for 10 years.

All contact sports have a CTE problem

Not enough countries play it and even if they did an all pro us team would utterly rape any other countries football team

Also the Olympics are like a week long so it would be crazy to have football games every other day, the amount of wear and tear on players would just be an injury fest by the time the final game gets played

we'd probably actually win a cricket tournament if we put some baseball players in

Not nearly as bad as football.

because its a dogshit sport that only americans care about. and they enjoy it more for the adverts because they love sucking corporate dick so much

rugby however is a proper sport

>injuries

what with all that armour on? fucking sissies

What happened to that Indian league y'all were hyping years ago?

Boxing is on par with football when it comes to CTE, and that's an olympic sport.

>what with all that armour on? fucking sissies
I see this but it seems like a really stupid thing to say, the sport is enabled to be harder because of pads. In rugby people only do tackles at the waist down so it's a lot safer.

dude...
99 out of 100 former nfl players had cte
cnn.com/2017/07/25/health/cte-nfl-players-brains-study/index.html

it's not the same. If you play in the nfl you have brain damage.

most of the men are 20 stone, trampling all over eachother

youtube.com/watch?v=S3QDOWk1qIo
perfectly legal tackle

>99 out of 100 former nfl players had cte
That's fucking misleading as hell. 99 out of 100 brains checked, which they thought had potential CTE, did. That's not really surprising. It's not like they just took random people.

And look at any middleweight and above boxer who had a sustained career. They all have CTE too. Look at Ali at the end of his life, dude was severely brain damaged.

Boxers probably have identical rates. You realize they literally spend their entire lives punching each other in the head?

video not available in my country, but mate I've lived in England and played rugby before, it's really not the same. I'm not saying it's a better sport but american football is much more dangerous than rugby if you just look at statistics, and the pads actually make it more dangerous from allowing train collisions every play.

Here's the thing thing, outside of the US and Canada it's basically unknown, there's not enough interest to have a proper competition. There's also the part of playing 5-7 games in 2 weeks, I don't think the teams could handle it, especially the ones from smaller countries that wouldn't have the same conditioning as NFL/CFL players.

There's like 2 countries that play gridiron football - US and Canada

perhaps other countries would enjoy arena football more
youtube.com/watch?v=tri3azu-X84

If we're talking purely about brain damage, I'd much rather be in a fight where someone tries to punch me in the face and I try to punch them in the face and we defend ourselves, than to line up across from each other (even with equipment on) and collide as hard as we can over and over again.

Boxing also has the advantage of being a better sport.

6 man football is likely the only option to get it to work and even then its doubtful

It would take far too long.

>no other sport is even close
lol, you should have watched the England Wales game yesterday. There wasn't a shirt on the pitch without blood on it

It's not about blood. You english are always going on about the same shit. It's about the concussions. The damage done to the head.

read the post I replied to, concussion wasn't mentioned

That's one of the reasons I prefer rugby. Handegg style of tackling is simply stupid

Concussions are what's dangerous. The discussion ITT was about dangerous sports.

>destroying your brain and then killing your family is now a sport
la creatura, ladies and gentlemen

The summer Olympics are longer than a week.

The only way the schedule could work is if there were 8 teams in a single-elimination tournament: 4 games (2 per day) the first week, 2 games the 2nd week, and the championship game the final week. But how many host countries have a football stadium?

It's not too hard to turn a general purpose stadium into a football stadium, they turned the diamondbacks stadium into a football stadium for a bowl game in one day

baseball>everything else

there's only been like four posts from yuropeeans saying that football is for retards
i guess all the most outspoken ones are finally starving to death

Because only 2 countries actually know the rules and only those 2 would even enter a team.

It's a niche sport like Pesapallo or Kabaddi

baseball actually would be in the olympics if it wasn't right in the middle of the season

it would probably be lame anyway like olympic basketball. since there is a lot of latin american coutries and some good asians the end games would be worth a watch.

there was some world league football for a bit
the US had backup high school players and won every game 50-0

Because it's a gay sport.

Nowhere near enough international interest and it would be so incredibly lopsided for the Americans there would be no point. At least basketball and baseball have worldwide competition