Decades old CGI - still great. (comfy lotr thread, when?)

>over a decade ago
>cgi still looks great
also, let's get a comfy LOTR thread going, lads.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8DPFnoELXjQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Galadriel's riverdancing is still 10/10

>only worthy example of the term "kinography"

This shit was 1991. Good director makes all the difference

A good director can't magically make cgi good if the tech isn't there. The tech in 1991 was shit compared to just a few years later. That's how quick the animation industry adapts and changes.

>A good director can't magically make cgi good if the tech isn't there
>the tech in 1991 was shit

So are you saying James Cameron made Terminator 2 look fucking amazing despite the tech?

>watch it Isildur

But I was giving that as an example of really good CGI that still holds up today.

Yes. Is that unreasonable to you?

Oh, were you? I guess. I don't think those graphics really hold up though, it has a "tech demo windows 98" vibe now.

some places it really doesnt, watch when the orcs are falling down the cracking earth at the end of Return Of The King

that looks fine. It's a wideshot from far away, the detail doesn't have to be there. I assume that was one of the rushed Weta scenes.

No, I feel like that's exactly what he did. I was more hung up on the "good director can't magically make cgi good if the tech isn't there" followed by an example of someone who did it.

I misunderstood, you mean James Cameron literally made that film with magic. I agree.

So, you are going to be a cheeky cunt then? Cool. I never gave an example of "someone who did it", I was saying that it really doesn't look that amazing but he did what he could with the tech that he did.

No, not being a cunt at all. Just praising James Cameron. It's crazy what he did with the tech at the time. Dude is literally a wizard is what I'm saying.

ok

>OP wants comfy lotr thread
>nobody talks about lotr
what has happened to Sup Forums?

Instead of a comfy lotr thread, we got a bizarrely tense T2 thread

How much does that cost, like six grand?

the scenes that stick out most to me are some of the staircase scenes in Moria

I got it for uh...I can't remember. 50 to 60 bucks on Amazon when it first came out?

>the comfy 6 hours of bonus material compiled from all other releases
>snowy winter day, pop in Peter just lounging about, talking about how he made this thing like it was just a small fan-film.
The bonus material is fucking great.

Percival Von Munybaggs here

That shot was a practical effect.

let's stay on topic here, lads

that's not a lot for 9 blu-ray discs, user.

I gotcha, OP

HOLD UP

I just ordered two books with Alan Lee's art as the book covers. It's gonna be comfy.

so if someone makes it good for the time it will be good for all time to you?

the cgi looks like shit today.
the practical effects however are great

Opening this bastard felt like Christmas morning. Too bad the cases themselves are so flimsy, considering how many discs it has to hold

Sam was the hero we needed but not the one we deserved.

It appears CGI got shittier after a certain point because suddently a lot more animators were around, and not all of them were experienced so they churned out subpar effects.

Weta performed a fucking miracle given their schedule though

what the fuck is up with you and that shit not a first thread you pull that

Well...great thread.

Childhood is loving the LOTR trilogy
Adulthood is realizing The Hobbit is 10x better

Get out

Childhood is loving LOTR
Adulthood is realizing that it is good, but it is nothing that special

>one of the greatest trilogies in American cinema
>one of the greatest book adaptations
>"nothing special"
Kek

The CGI is good, but the villains could be better handled, and they focus too much on uninteresting characters, like Boromir's family

Oh man...wew...

Trying really hard to pretend being retarded

Come on! You are really gonna tell me you give a fuck about the character portrayed by that guy from Fringe!?

You just wanted to shitpost, didn't you?

Literally a practical effect

RotK suffers the most from bad SFX because of the sheer volume and it was being rushed out

There's an overhead shot of the fellowship running across the bridge that looks like a ps1 fmv

This is Blade Runner minimalist poster tier but I like it anyway

>Orthanc and Barad-Dur depicted as "The Two Towers"

REEEEEE

>shitposting not fit for Denethor's halls

Naah Denethor's an asshole, Faramir is a bro.

Not really, they had like 5 years to do all that shit, It's impressive but they weren't pressed for time

>American cinema

This is good bait

Well if you want to get the $500 book version of the entire film set then go ahead

>charging $500 for this
what the fuck

Who played Battle for Middle Earth 2 here? LOTR only has a few decent games and that is one of them.

Who else saw LOTR in the cinemas?

I missed the first one but saw Towers and Return. I still remember being incredibly spooked by the swamp scene.

>mfw I seriously thought they killed off Aragorn

I saw all three in the cinemas as a kid. I remember I couldn't stop drawing the siege of Helm's Deep afterwards. I must've gone to watch the last two multiple times. My favourite films.

>Childhood is saying The Two Towers is the best
>Teenagehood is saying Return of the King is best
>Adulthood is saying Fellowship of the Ring is probably the best made and most comfy

>tfw skipped school with Mum to see fellowship a week after it released
It was magical. My mother is to blame for my nerdiness. She's the idiot who introduced to sci-fi as well.

>mfw I remember my family renting Fellowship of the Ring on VHS as we watched it
>10/10 blown away
>Want to rewatch it but my dad returned it to video store ;_;
>My birthday comes around and I get the widescreen VHS version as a present along with a comfy Titanic documentary on VHS
Those were the days

For me it was

>childhood seeing the first movie and pulling a book out of my bag it was so dull
>adulthood avoiding everything to do with these drawn out, indulgent snoozefests

I'd rather watch fucking Willow.

They did not have five years on Return of the King...no. There is literally close to 2 hours of bonus material on this.

Real shit

Are you one of those dumb faggot underages that thinks Citizen Kane is "le boring"?

i made a little helms deep out of balsa wood and polystyrene when i was a kid

How can people not like LOTR? It's the only fantasy film that isn't a cringefest.

I remember being amazed with how much footage they cut out and put on the extended cut. I loved the extended ghost scenes in return

Same way how can anyone not like The Dark Knight?

Both Nolan and Jackson kind of became memes but their earlier films no doubt are masterpieces

this happened in a movie? why don't I remember anything

Not LOTR related but speaking of creations, I made the Batman 1989 church out of Lego with an inside staircase and everything leading up to the bell at top when I was a kid.

It really saddens me when kids nowadays are obsessed with minecraft and never actually build stuff with real legos anymore

>Who else saw LOTR in the cinemas?
Most of us I dare hope. TFotR ended on such a frustrating note, finally getting TTT a year later was a true blessing.

This was shit when it came out.

That's from Smaug Desolation, the only part of the Hobbit trilogy that's worth the time.

>How can people not like LOTR?
The movies may be too lenghty for people who don't have the patience.

>how can anyone not like The Dark Knight?
They're too serious.

>That's from Smaug Desolation, the only part of the Hobbit trilogy that's worth the time.
THIS GUY KNOWS WHAT'S UP. The only Hobbit movie I actually enjoyed because I loved the Elf scenes despite hating the over the top CGI fights

You're all the prequel babies of LotR

ONE OF THE MOST INTENSE SCENES OF CINEMA HISTORY

you mention that and not the troll scene in moria?
That troll scene is horrendous now

Who's the best orc?

Gothmog is a real mofo

Come on this game was kino
youtube.com/watch?v=8DPFnoELXjQ

>mfw Viggo had to sit in a studio for hours recording voice overs for a video game

I find the world too sterile, the pace too slow without any tension or buildup to make up for it (Das Boot is one of my favourite films, so it's not an ADD thing) far too much use of CGI which is a massive disappointment from the man that gave us Bad Taste and Braindead..

I want to like these films, its a good 6 hours of fantasy that I'm missing out on, but it's just dull and I give zero fucks about the characters and their motives.

Only retards on here think in that way. Not normal people in reality.

Azog. Gothmog moved.

Which towers are the two towers then
There's like 5

>its a good 6 hours of fantasy
It's 11 hours long for the extended versions.

Don't forget that the very first movie Jackson ever made was an R Rated Muppets

Saw all three in theaters
Was supposed to see Monsters Inc but friends drunk dad took us to Fellowship, changed my life honestly
Was never into fantasy until then and became a mega dork because of it

Lotr trilogy was so good, what ended up being the hobbit trilogy still hurts my soul

Nobody really knows, I guess. Isengard and Sauron'a tower make the most narrative sense though.

Are you me? I missed the first one too, and saw the second and third at the cinema.

I was absolutely floored by the second one. I thought it was incredible...

... then I saw the third one. The charge of the Rohirrim absolutely sold me.

This and the ROTK PS2 game were the 'few decent' games I was talking about. Everything else was meh.

>and the studio made Zack Snyder cut BvS down because they felt it was too long
HOW DID JACKSON GET AWAY WITH A 200 MINUTE THEATRICAL CUT??

I'm guessing since Fellowship and Towers did so well at the box office, they didn't care with trimming it down

The wargs from Two Towers are pretty bad too, along with the part where the ents flood Isengard. It's very clearly a miniature that they composited little orcs dancing in place onto. It reminds me of the scene in Hell at the end of the Spawn movie.

Fair enough. LOTR is pretty much my childhood so I refuse to see any faults when there obviously are some.

The Hobbit was a mess though and I feel embarrassed that they're related to LOTR.

This is obvious bait.

DUDE PS1 GRAPHIC CGI ORC WHO SHOULD BE DEAD LMAO

>It's a Frodo must bake an apple pie episode
This game was pretty good for book fans I guess since it's not officially based on the movie