Split

dont read this if you havent seeen split. (trust me you dont want this ruined) can we talk about how fucking genius this was?? for years and years people have mocked him and shat on him for his twists and how they will be able to guess the twist and he's a hack and all that and he fucks everyone in the ass with the greatest magic trick you ever seen and blows everyone's mind! He could have been safe and marketed this as unbrekable 2 but he took guts and made a gamble and holy shit it paid off! Has there ever been a movie that changed the entire genre of it in the last 2 seconds and everything still ended up making more sense? and it saddens me to know that there are fucking idiots out there who give this movie a a bad rating because they didnt understand it. they are like 'oh cool cameo' . it just fills me with rage... anyways. Idk if M night is bac or if the 3rd movie will be good but this was just amazing and hearing that 'unbrekable' score emerge in the end scene and seeing that Bruce willis' character made so so fucking happy and geuinly surprised than anything hollywood has done in the past 10 years

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=84TouqfIsiI
ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/102722681.html
slashfilm.com/filmcast-ep-402-split/
youtube.com/watch?v=W56p3AZEFPY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I still dont get it

the big twist is that M. Night actually poos in a loo

I thought than scene didn't add anything to the film. If they want to tie them together in a sequal why can't they do that in the sequel rather than awkwardly shoehorning a scene into this one?

If you don't understand the significance of the cameo itself then you're just simply...stupid.

Unbreakable has a massive cult that has been demanding a sequel for more than a decade, even sam jackson was mad at shammamalan for not doing one

They should have had a moment earlier in the movie when Macavoy is out on the town him bumping into a random person, pretty much unnoticeable.

Then they should have had Bruce Willis save the girl and then show a flashback of Macavoy walking earlier and show that the person he bumped into was Bruce willis

A large portion of this movies audience didn't even know what Unbreakable was. If they did that it would just confuse everyone.

Why don't you explain the significance to me that I apparently missed then.

it wasnt shoehorned, it was teased and debated/discussed through the entirety of the film
you're just a pleb, thats okay, but dont sit in a discussion being a shitter becuase you cant pick up on really basic simple things discussed inside the movie itself

Everyone shut the fuck up and let's talk about what matters, dunn vs the beast?
who takes it

Either you have Willis swoop in and save her, discarding the interesting arc Last Girl has, or you have him swoop in at the last second when it has no more point than what they already did.

I read a lot of comments from people who didn't like the supernatural aspect of the movie until they saw Bruce Willis (which is fucking retarded; people like that are the reason so many movies are shit and HOllywoold mass produces whatever they think sells), and got that it was a lowkey superhero universe.

So it had some point.

man does anyone still use shoehorns ever anymore? i feel like its becoming like the magnifying glass or the polaroid camera. people understand what its significance in the modern sense but dont know what its originally meant to signify.

what kind of fight we talking? hand to hand, tie probably. dunn cant be hurt, but hes not superhumanly strong either. he just cant hurt the beast. beast cant hurt him.

You mean the whole "human are capable of so much more and some people who have undergone great trauma manage to tap into that occaisionally" theme? Yeah I picked up on that, in case you are confused I am referring to the scene with Willis in it as unneccesary. Because as you said it was the theme was through the entire movie so tacking a scene on the end like a big blatant neon pandering to people who weren't paying attention made the movie worse.

Although I suppose by the OP that since you thought it was a big twist the maybe it wes neccesary...

>81565213
dunn could choke him out maybe?
Beast is stronger but dunn is pretty strong aswell, might be a stalemate idk

I agree user. Best movie plot twist in recent years. BUT, that was the problem, you have to be familiar with M. Night's previous films in order to appreciate what a genius of a movie Split was.

I really hate how some people wanted a more cliched plot twist. I have a couple of friends that wanted the main character (Casey) to be the one that was having a split personality. The idea is cool, but way too predictable

Yes, many people who wear high quality dress shoes use shoehorns.

Enjoy your neon adidas, pleb

Didn't Dunn bench pressed like 500 pounds?

I agree with you so much it hurts

found the pleb

Not him but the most important thing about the scene with Willis is that it changes the tone of the movie entirely. The movie up until then is BS and I didn't take any of their pseudoscience seriously to explain Macavoy's power. However, the connection to Unbreakable informs you to what kind of universe this is all taking place in which is like a lowkey superhero version of our world.

youtube.com/watch?v=84TouqfIsiI
have you seen the trailer? if not, go ahead and watch it

ok now that you've seen it
you've seen the whole movie gg

after talking to my dad about Split (he didn't watch it I was just describing it) we were chatting about his movies and we started naming them off...

then it occurred to me that Shamalama has more movies than I even realized.. the dude has been consistently hammering out movies for the past 20 years with a flop-banger formula...

every two years he has a flop and then a banger.. how does he keep doing it? who is funding these ventures?
Think I am wrong? check it out

kino
split
unbreakable
the 6th sense
signs
the visit
flop
the happening
the village
the last kekbender
lady in the water

the village was good

Mr. Glass confirmed as hell then.

Pretty sure he and the Horde would get along considering his whole "champion of the broken" thing.

>tfw some fucking faggot on here spoiled it the second it came out in uzbekistan or wherever the fuck

no it wasn't it was a literal rip off of a children's book.. wanna know how I know?
I READ THE FUCKING BOOK BEFORE SEEING THE MOVIE AND IT GOT MY NOGGIN JOGGIN

>inb4 you didn't even know it was plagiarized
I think a suit was brought up and he probably settled

>his final form is an amalgamation of various zoo animals, mainly lions, tigers, etc
>mfw he fucking made the beastman in Mr. Glass's art gallery and fit him into the unbreakable universe

lady in the water was terri-

i deliberately and successfuly avoided any thread or image with split for moths and just watched it and had my mind blown and i cam buckets.. your own fault

Lady in the Water was definitely away from Shyamalan's norm, but I found it refreshingly low-key and miles above The Village. Paul Giamatti was great in it too. His breakdown scene was heartbreaking.

not only that..

ELIJAH'S MOTHER: See the villain's eyes. They're larger than the other characters'. They insinuate a slightly skewed perspective of how they see the world. Just off normal.
DAVID: He doesn't look very threatening.
ELIJAH'S MOTHER: That's what I said to my son. He said, there's always two kinds. The soldier villain who fights the hero with his hands, and then there's the real threat. The brilliant and evil arch enemy who fights the hero with his mind.

what is there even to spoil? the fact that it links up with unbreakable in the end? Yahoo and everyone's mother was already talking about that so it was kind of hard to ignore headlines like UNBREAKABLE SEQUEL etc.

I was still gonna see it sooner or later anyways but I don't normally like scurry kinos. I was wrong on most accounts

this. its very easy to avoid spoilers if you just try. ive avoided any and all spoilers for john wick 2 now and will continue to do so until its released in NZ next month. and now i have to leave this thread so no one trolls me.

Who fucking cares, it was good.

I might have to watch it again sometime because honestly I saw bits and pieces and don't remember too much about it. I meant "flop" more commercially than critically I suppose for that specific title.

granted it is really REALLY hard to fuck up a movie with paul giamatti in it, you have to be a real POS writer and we all know that M. Night isn't when he puts his mind to it

I am excited for the next installment in the unbreakable/split series for sure

i loved it.

Suprisingly rewatchable as well

He thought this shit through for fucking certain. Smart move looking back at Unbreakable for inspiration.

The main problem, and the primary criticism, with Lady in the Water was the character that he himself played. And probably that scene where he killed off a film critic.

Sure, the self-insert "great writer" character was conceited as fuck, but it didn't fuck up the comfy atmosphere and sense of back-yard adventure.

>Casey and David Dunn vs Mr. Glass and The Horde in Unbreakable 3

okay that's your opinion I guess. the children's book he "unofficially adapted" it from was even more interesting though... the reveal that they were on a reservation was in like the first chapter because a Mom gets sick and sends her daughter out of their quaint Quakeresque village to get modern medicine for her.
The girl has to fend her way in the outside world (she didn't even know existed) I think there was some vague allusion of her almost getting tricked out and then she returns to save her mom but another reveal is that the reservation was part of a big zoo or some shit where people came to watch them.. but the villagers were none the wiser

honestly that sounds 100x better than the setup of them just being on a reservation and not realizing it till the end. don't you agree?

It's a reasonably mediocre movie made great by the super secret cameo that was leaked on here six months before the movie came out.

Unbreakable was the best thing M. Night has done and I'm unapologetic about the fact that I'm happy it's getting a sequel.

>Pretty sure he and the Horde would get along
Yeah, especially considering that Mr. Glass killed his dad

Because that was the motivation for the villain in Unbreakable. The doctor lady was essentially a more benevolent Mr. Glass.

The movie is essentially two movies, one is the psychological horror movie with the girl as the protagonist, the other one is a retelling of Unbreakable but from the perspective of a bad guy with the antagonist AS the protagonist.

The Bruce Willis cameo is what reveals the second movie hidden underneath the first, that's why it's such a great ending.

Thoughts on people theorizing this was Splitman as a child in Unbreakable?

He killed Kevin's dad. In a way he fathered the Beast.

Just tell them to go watch Identity with Amanda Peet and John Cusack if they want something like that.

Depends on Kevin's age. If he's in his 20s, then it's definitely reasonable. If Kevin is James McAvoy's age, then that kid would've been in his mid-late teens at the time.

Shamalamadingdong said that Kevin was part of the original draft of Unbreakable. So it's totally possible.

>In a way he fathered the Beast
Yeah I guess but didn't most of Kevin's trauma stem from Kevin's mother abusing him?

The psychologist explicitly said stuff about DID being the gate to the supernatural when she was talking about how only one personality wes diabetic and don't forget how the beast was blatantly superhuman.

My point was that if you payed attention during the movie you would have picked up on the rather explicit supernatural element and I don't understand what is so good about making a movie that stands on its own fine explicitly part of a franchise. You are disenfrachising people who don't care about that shit. It's lack of subtlety make the film worse.

>super secret cameo that was leaked on here six months before
Night said that he took out the last scene from test screens and early/advanced viewings so people can actually get surprised so did it really get leaked 6 months before? i need some sources

To link it back to this The mother's abuse was a coping mechanism of sorts and brought on by his father dying in the same train accident caused by Mr. Glass in which David Dunn survived. It created both the hero and in a roundabout way, the villain.

There was an user on here that worked as some kind of PA on the film that posted the "twist" several moths before screening. I actually told my little brother about the fact that it was a secret tie-in to Unbreakable months before because of that. Wish I had the archive link.

Sure, that's true, but then the Beast would likely also have taken that as a blessing. And even if it turns out he would hate Elijah for killing his father, then it's as simple as Elijah keeping him in the dark about it and manipulating him.

The whole "fight with his mind" thing.

um like 5 people out of a 1000 would come in to your conclusion if they didnt have the end scene.. are you fucking kidding me? theres so many people (like respected youtube movie critics ), who even after seeing the last scene didnt really understand how that would change everything. its a 17 yr old movie so its kind of expected

There is no archive link because your story was invented out of whole cloth.

I didn't pick up on that part. Where did they allude to Mr. Glass killing his dad?

Well from a meta standpoint M Night always wanted Unbreakable to be a trilogy, and The Horde was originally going to be in the first movie, so it was a way to create hype to get Unsplittable off the ground.

It was also really effective for people like me who adored Unbreakable when it came out but hadn't really thought about it in 10 years to tie it into Unbreakable.

The movie would have still been good without that last scene, but I think it definitely enhanced the entire movie. When M Night gets a twist right, he gets it really, really right. Seeing Bruce Willis in the diner was kind of like that scene in the 6th sense where he realizes he's dead. Your mind just instinctively flashes back to all the little threads that reveal it, and it changes how you watch the movie the second time. Plus, those tweests are kind of his directorial signature.

BRAVO META NIGHT SHYAMALAN!

Really glad I stayed out of Split threads and just kept scrolling whenever I saw a thumbnail. The cameo/tweeeest was one of those things that reminded me why I love movies so much.

>I didn't pick up on that part. Where did they allude to Mr. Glass killing his dad?

This. All I gathered was that Kevin's dad left him on a train and was never heard from again.
The train only served as a parallel between David and Kevin, as both of their transformations were sealed on a train.

fucking PA assholes ruining shit. ugh. Im glad i cared enough and had enough hope left in shamalan to actively avoid spoilers and looks like i paid off amazingly

>Me trying to solve the captcha for this thread ...

he laid flowers on the strain station before he transformed in to the beast..inside a fucking abandoned train. we dont need to be spoonfed to connect that with the fact that his father died in a train accident and as a result the mother started abusing him which led him to split.

I liked it too. Not great, but good. Had me engaged the entire time

Damn dude I believe you, I was just asking geez

WHAT DID SHAMALAMS MEAN BY THIS???

Sure, why not

This fucking phonegazing generation doesn't deserve Split.

>The big twist is that they were under a zoo the whole time

was pretty fucking bad

kek

this movie was a fucking piece of shit and if you liked it you are everything wrong with Sup Forums

t. butthurt DCuck whose shared universe is getting BTFO by Fox AND Shyamalan

>a 2 hour teaser trailer for unbreakable 2
>genius

'K

Redditor spotted!

>responds with a capeshit comment

thanks for proving my point you utter pleb

Seems I struck a nerve.

it WAS unbreakable 2 cuz it was a supervillian original story. All these 50 marvel and dc movies hasnt managed to do that yet

The Village has a god tier soundtrack, cinematography, stellar performance from BDH and William Hurt, and, above all else, Shyamalan's brilliant dialogue. Literally his best film.

Will Casey go against the Beast or will she go back to him?You think she'll join him when he kills her uncle?

TWEEEEST

ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/102722681.html

all these sjw comments make me puke

there was a numale who watched this movie and bitched about mental illness being used and how it was bad even after knowing that it was a superhero film he was saying how that was poor taste

but there was one dude defending it and saying how the ending made it worth it but the others were like.. well i thought his supernatural abilities were way over the top and i didnt enjoy it at the time it was happeing etc

slashfilm.com/filmcast-ep-402-split/

youtube.com/watch?v=W56p3AZEFPY

the truth is, this movie sucks. Don't waste your time.

essetera

Great movie but not because of the "twist". How is it even a twist? bruce walks in and makes a comment to a store clerk. Ohhhh...the twist is its in the same universe...it needed a much better and more important bruce scene.

Ill tell you the truth if i had made the movie the big fucking twist would have been at the end of the movie the split guy turns out to BE bruce willis all along, and it woiuld be a surprise prequel to unbreakable. basically bruce wouldve been a a good guy persona of his.

Put signs in flop, and add Devil to kino and we're good to go.

Damn I'm seriously glad I watched the movie without seeing a trailer 1st. It fucking spoiled everything.

I agree with it being lame that you have to be familiar with Unbreakable in order for it to be a decent movie.

It's like faggots that tell you that you can't appreciate a certain movie unless you read the book. Every movie should be able to stand on its own whether it's a sequel or prequel or whatever.

While I sort of liked the David Dunn thing at the end, I also thought it felt like cheesy marketing for another movie. Like all the typical scenes after the credits in every fucking superhero movie now. Movies aren't about the movie you're watching, it's about making sure you see the movie that comes after it.

I didn't really watch unbreakable and I liked it.

There isn't really "a big twist" as far as I'm concerned.

Split stands on it's own just fine.

>I didn't really watch unbreakable

you either watched it or you didn't.

Bruce Willis bumps Kevin's mother in Unbreakable and sees the child abuse apparently (it's in imdb's trivia, I've been meaning to rewatch Unbreakable to prove or disprove it)

It's in the script, but I think it was cut out of the movie.

I got bored about halfway through, do the girls survive?

signs is great you fucking nigger

>you keep posting this in every Split thread
>overwhelming dislikes
>you unironically think this an effective means of spreading your 'content'

Epic user, your channel is sure going to be going places soon!

I didn't get the ending other than it setting up an Unbreakable 2. Did it at all tie into Split?

i am groot! god's not real! *burp*