Well?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt6068960/
youtube.com/watch?v=ggpoFDnywWc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niland_brothers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

not fkn fury that's for sure
>inb4 muh konigstiger

Bump for interest, I don't watch many war movies.

some low budget russian kino about a ghost tank was better than this shit

>Fury
OP confirmed for shit taste.

fury was so over the top that i would classify it as a dark comedy

Black Hawk Down
Jarhead

Jarhead
Hacksaw Ridge

That's about it.

No, this movie is bad. The script is complete dogshit.

Fury is shit.
Letters from Iwo Jima.

Battleship

>Letters from Iwo Jima
pre-battle is comfykino
during battle is "japs crying and screaming in caves" borefest

>japs crying and screaming
don't forget exploding

imdb.com/title/tt6068960/

(((Fury))) is complete shit, kys Shia.

Fury was okay until the end. That was just completely crap.

I wish they used the real working Tiger better too, that battle was utter shite.

No war movies from the past 27 years hold up against Band of Brothers or Generation Kill

>hold up against Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan
ftfy
Haven't seen Generatioin Kill

Made with the same action effects team that worked on The Brotherhood of War.

do yourself a service, start it tonight

Generation Kill is kino

When Fury came out everyone liked it. What happened?

if you haven't seen generation kill then why the fuck are you here

your opinion is worth fuck all until you have

the ending

The people who like Fury don't waste their time responding to bait.

>there are people who still haven't seen this absolute kino

Should count.

Nothing has beaten Generation Kill or Band of Brothers.

band of brothers and saving private ryan are both trash heavy-handed americlap propaganda

not kino

>jarhead

Propaganda for what? to join the army and fight nazis? a bit late by the time they came out

Some chink war films are pretty solid a couple about Korea are great and one about some jap who fights against the Russians, Germans and Americans during ww2

They're romanticized retellings of American stories. Yes. They're also high quality productions.

Don't be edgy, user. Smile more.

Band of Brothers- alot better than Saving Private Ryan imo, alot more detail and time, not just focused on one mission but hooks you in on the importance of one mission, and then as soon as it's over another one starts, sets you in the gruelling step after step hell that was the European theatre

The Pacific- basically the same thing, except it deals alot more with the psychological impact the soldiers went through, and the hell that the Pacific theatre was. Also does alot better at switching from character to character

Generation kill- probably one of the best depictions of the modern day marine, or soldier in general. Very funny, but also keeps you on edge with not only the conflict of war but the inner squablings that come from the soldiers and their command

Generation War- the best movie about the Eastern Front if you want something from the Germans POV. Follows the story of a group of friends, two brother soldiers, a nurse, a singer, and a Jew. Now before you go "of course it's gonna be a pitty party for the Jew" yeah sure it shows some real stuff he would've suffered through, but it doesn't stop with him. It shows how all the friends suffered and their lives changed, and how the youth of Germany was deluded into an early grave with promise of a swift victory. I got especially sad when the one younger brother had to leave back front, and the mother just stood at the door screaming "No!" And crying. It's all in German BTW, but trust me reading the subtitles still makes it worth it

wolyn

Black Hawk Down
13 hours : Warriors of Bengazi

Saving Private Ryan after the beach scene is a retarded melodrama. The film's purpose is to show how wholesome and noble America is to a bunch of nostalgiac WW2 nerds.

Tae Guk Gi (Brotherhood of War)
Inglorious Basterds (I like the humanization of the Nazi's contrasted with the savageness of the Americans, it made it so much better when they viciously murdered the Nazi pigs).

>The film's purpose is to show how wholesome and noble America is to a bunch of nostalgiac WW2 nerds.

It's fucking Spielberg. The man searches for great stories then tells them. You're attaching an agenda onto the film that does not exist.

>alot

>It's fucking Spielberg.
Spielberg has an agenda. He makes films about things he remembers from childhood, he is the WW2 nerd that I'm referring to. Most of his films revolve around his nostalgia.

He's a good director, Jaws is one of my favorite films, but he can be a shitty storyteller.

Black hawk down
Ninth company
Saving Private Ryan

Those three were awesome otherwise my favourites are
Platoon
Full metal jacket
Hamburger hill
But these were before 1990

Tropic Thunder was pretty great.

Downfall/Der Untergang

>The film's purpose is to show how wholesome and noble America is to a bunch of nostalgiac WW2 nerds.

Can you go into some more depth here? I feel like Saving Private Ryan is pretty on the money with its tone, with scenes like the treatment of the German POW, or shooting prisoners at Omaha, it hardly paints the Americans as the whiter than white good guys come to save the day.

Sure, there's some cheesy moments like ending the film on an American flag flowing in the wind, but I think, for a 2 hour runtime, SPR was good at showing different aspects of both sides rather than coming across as good guys/bad guys action movie.

My Best Enemy 2005

Jarhead was fucking awesome, especially if you served in the peacetime military between 1980 and 2003. It's eerie how accurate a represntation of military life that was.

>Generation War
An absolute piece of fucking Hallmark/Lifetime garbage.

>A dark WWII comedy about two friends, stolen artwork and an unfortunate case of mistaken identities, as a Jewish man switches places with his Nazi best friend in order to survive

It sounds promising but is it madcap or is it more steeped in reality?

I've only watched the film around the time it came out so I can't remember that clearly but I think most of those 'good' scenes happened at the beginning of the film, which I liked. The main story of the film, the actual saving of private ryan, was bizarre. It really didn't make much sense why they were doing this other than to show that America cares about family values. When they finally reach Ryan they all get killed and tell him to "earn this (his rescue)" then it ends with a blubbering old man Ryan questioning whether he lived up to the heroes of WW2. But wasn't Ryan the hero who was fighting at the front lines (or behind enemy lines I forgot)? Why did these assholes need to rescue him then leave him with survivor's guilt when he never asked them to save him.

It was just an excuse to show "the ravages of war" or some weird shit that Americans like, we wage war because we are good, but we are guilty about it (see the disgusting Zero Dark Thirty for Americans making hard choices because of hard times) not that our enemies are evil and deserve destruction or that war can be a lot of fun. The film should have ended with Ryan talking about what a great time he had fighting the Germans.

a story of a 5-man Chilean patrol lost in Patagonia during the Beagle conflict of December 1978. The patrol becomes in the middle of the Patagonian plains only to discover that there is an Argentine trench in front of them. Likewise the Argentine group is also lost and unsure of the actual location of the country's border. The story is set during a period in which war seems imminent, and portrays these two groups interacting in ways both friendly and conflictive

Das Boot.

That sounds amazing.

I really can't wait for the next war. It'll bring such interesting little character dramas.

Fury was great faggots

I turned it off when the German officer was riding his horse around on the battlefield in his dress uniform. I do kind of wonder if he made it to the ball.

Konigstiger best tiger

Kingdom of Heaven was a pretty outstanding movie about the crusades

It just shows how stupid the war is, without all the blood and gore that the american audience is familiar with.

Want to borrow my blu rays? I really like GK

Can't enjoy Fury. After being in the military I can't help but to laugh when they start shooting, tracers don't look like lasers.

>1990 was 27 years ago

War isn't stupid. It's meticulously planned with expected casualties. Too many films blame the commanders.

This bothered me a lot too. They went out of their way to color the tracers red AND green?

The first half's battle sequences are top notch, degrades into propaganda a little bit in the second half.

Well worth watching though with english subs.

I saw nothing but hate for the ending as soon as it came out. Before that its ok for a Hollywood action film. As a war film it fucking sucks

Jarhead

mainly because of pic related, the "that's my wife" scene"

Films are about dreaming, stuff you'll never experience. That scene, I fucking love it and hate it at the same. It pisses me off that I'll never be in a military, watching funny videos with my brothers and slowly realizing that the funny tape that I'm watching is my wife fucking another guy. Fuck, I'm so jelly. I'm so jelly at the military men that have been cucked by jody's. Wish more military films explored that.

Nope. Not even close.

These two were pretty good.

Propaganda maybe but still good.

13 hours was bretty gud actually. About as good as Fury I'd say.

I liked it, but the ending got a little cartoony. Otherwise it was a solid war film, just not anything special ultimately.

youtube.com/watch?v=ggpoFDnywWc

Whole things on youtube, turn subs on

Generation Kill is the GOAT, nothing else brings humour, action, feels, kino and realism together as well as GK does. The acting is also superb.

why HBO has stopped making war shows? Is it because of the budget? Politics? Why they can have tons of shit comedies, but not a single war show? It pisses me off.

This far into the thread and there's only like two mentions of Generation Kill.

>13 hours was bretty gud actually. About as good as Fury I'd say.
I have to disagree, Fury is a superior film imo but 13 Hours is better that I expected.

ok, i'm out.

I drop the movie after 30 minutes, why the ending is bad? Is one of those where the annoying and shitty rookie ruins everything but the viewer is supposed to feel sympathy for him?

Bye, Europe. We'll be here to save your ass again.

>Fury is an unembarrassed allegory for what American moviegoers, hoodwinked by video-game detachment and news-media blackouts, don’t know about the savagery of warfare.

>Ayer’s action scenes give a sense of tragic space — the effect lost in the computer-game–comic-book-movie era that has helped inure audiences to combat and to patriotic duty. The recovery of this space — and these feelings — is a notable step forward, good enough to recall the virtues of Sam Peckinpah’s Cross of Iron.

It ends with a ludicrous last stand scene where a German division(who might even be SS, I can't quite remember) charge head on into a solitary, broken down Sherman while the US crew valiantly defends it. The Germans don't flank it, or use AT rounds from far off, they just zerg rush the cunting thing like it was the opening scene of enemy at the gates and get mowed down in their droves.

Just asks for way too much suspension of belief and comes across as incredibly silly. Which is a shame, because I loved the rest of the film.

THIS IS MY RIFLE

>The film should have ended with Ryan talking about what a great time he had fighting the Germans.

Well that's the most stupid, childish thing I've read all week. War is not fun, kid. Even people who find it satisfying and make a career in the military get fucked up in the head by it.

War films are always made a lot more fun and light. Even fairly realistic ones

Who would watch a film showing actual pain and misery. Depression. Like the beach scene in SPR is hard but real life

Reply to this post or your mother will die

We Were Soldiers
Ironclad
Battle Los Angeles (2011)
as far as my feet will carry me (2001)

There's at least 8

Mattis is fucking genuine, though. I respect that man.

>it ends with a blubbering old man Ryan questioning whether he lived up to the heroes of WW2. But wasn't Ryan the hero who was fighting at the front lines (or behind enemy lines I forgot)?
The reason why they died was to get his ass home in one piece. Has anyone died to save your life?

>Why did these assholes need to rescue him

Orders. It's been policy to try to avoid killing an entire family in Uncle Sugar's wars since the Civil War. This is one of those 'partly based on a true story' movies
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niland_brothers

>The film should have ended with Ryan talking about what a great time he had fighting the Germans.
makes total context in the scene where he is visiting the graves of the guys who died to get him home.

Two Bombs clearly wern't enough.

Shooting is fun, sure. It's the part where all your friends get maimed and killed and you spend the rest of your life drinking to make the nightmares stop that I'm talking about.

SPR is dishonest filmmaking at its worst

beecher was in GK? jesus i have to rewatch it

Its on HBO Go, do yourself a favor

I really liked that movie too, I was very pleasantly surprised, probably because I got drunk and was expecting to see the worst film made that year.

hbo loves reusing the same actors

This should have been posted first

MOAB (2017)

Band of Brothers 2001
The Pacific 2010
" "-------2019
we're due one soon lad
I read rumors that they were adapting a book written by a pilot
Could be good
I have no basis for these claims however
& I'm not entirely sure how much money they'd make on dvd sales now that people pirate everything now

Patrician taste

the celebrity cameos ruined it though

Fortress of War. Give it a shot, it's surprisinlgy good and might be my personal best since SPR.