Why doesn't hollywood make good posters anymore? Apart from like 1 in a 100

Why doesn't hollywood make good posters anymore? Apart from like 1 in a 100.
>inb4 it's cheaper to let some intern do it
They could literally go to any art school and make it some competition, or ask any random art student. If you offer them 100 dollars, you bet your ass there will be some good ones in there.

Hell, they'd do it for free, I imagine

where can i buy decent reprints of classic posters??

YEAH MAN, FUCKING GOOD OL DAYS WERE THE BEST
NOW ALL WE HAVE IS CAPESHIT, NO ART AT ALL, WRONG GENERATION AM I RITE GUYS? AM I SMART GUYS? PLEASE LETS CIRCLEJERK TO THESE OLDIES

It might have something to do with time.
It's probably quicker, easier and cheaper to whip something up in photoshop than to pay a professional painter to make something the studio mightn't end up liking anyway.
Also, fuck off you cunt. You're not clever and OP is just trying to start a discussion.

Why do you even type out that shit?

I too would like to know this, anyone ?

Same reason movies don't have memorable musical scores anymore either
Movies are now made by suits who only care about focus group test screenings results pandering to women and chinks
Anything remotely creative is not allowed anymore

Allposters is pretty good
They mightn't have the poster itself but if you can get a high Res scan of it online it looks great, i got the nightcrawler poster using that, was 15 buckaroos

this
Allposters is basically the only decent site. Otherwise you might have to go to some tiny special store

>They could literally go to any art school and make it some competition, or ask any random art student

This happens a lot actually.

I don't think it's about cost as much as it's about marketing people trying to reach demographics and shit. If you are gonna spend 50 million on a movie and 50 on putting up all those posters I doubt they will fret over having to pay an extra 500 bucks for a more "high quality" poster design.

Like I'm sure somewhere they did a survey that said X poster design sells more tickets so now they feel every poster needs to look like that and so on.

I guess that's just the smaller flicks, then?

>Allposters
I want this: friday the 13th final chapter poster, and all posters do not have it.

My mistake, I was implying smaller publications/projects.

I didn't mean high-budget movies.

I too, am wondering the same thing. I can sometimes understand why they wouldn't use old posters on blu-Ray's, as renewing the rights, but there's no excuse for a multi-million dollar company like Disney to produce a poster like pic related

Fincher made comments about this on the Se7en commentary. Basically, the marketing department just does it in a generic way so they can't be blamed for any failure. Nothing terribly interesting but nothing off-putting, either.

You can also have them print it out for you if you have a high enough resolution like said

Exactly. And these hand-drawn posters were as generic Hollywood back in the day as the new photoshop ones are today. Literally nothing changed.

But at least they look nice

Artistically they're about the same, maybe they seem sophisticated to a layman.

ha..so stupid.... you need more brain in your head.

>you need more brain in your head.

Are you a pajeet or something? who even talks like that

>these hand-drawn posters were as generic Hollywood back in the day as the new photoshop ones are today

I don't think it's fair to compare oil paintings to these bland photoshop collages.

you are so sterile. You see the world in no color. Your brain needs more power.

It's not like all modern posters are bad though, movies like sicario, The Void, and the H8ful 8 actually have some pretty nice posters. It's just your mainstream shit that sucks

>sicario, The Void, and the H8ful 8
>not mainstream

huh?

I digged the Cannes sicario poster

Not compared to something like rogue 1, capeshit, and the F&F shit they're not. They're kinda sideline shit. Not really indie, but not universally known

posting the GOAT

more

I will always remember what Drew Struzan wrote in his artbook. He reported a meeting with producers and marketing departement for I don't remember which movie. You know what they said about painted posters ? "It looks too much like art". Struzan was disgusted by this statement, it added up with a deterioration of the poster maker job over the years, and he eventually retired soon after that.

"It looks too much like art". If this doesn't tell a lot about the current Hollywood industry...

>Drew Struzan
good old Drew "I trace publicity stills and then slap them together in a big mess" Struzan.

When was this?

Is there anything about Escape from New York that isn't pure kino? Even its poster is 10/10

I don't remember precisely but I think it was when Del Toro wanted to work with him for either Pan's Labyrinth or one of the Hellboy movies, so around 2006/2008.

Well you might not like his style but he explains that the marketing staff was always breathing down his neck, asking him to put as much stuff as possible (and yes, they gave him publicity stills for reference), or scrap some things... one of the best example is his experience on the Revenge of the Sith poster, where he had to made Vader bigger and bigger each time.

>Have art students make posters

I agree, we need more poster kino like pic related

Would hang this on my wall