"After tackling the realm of Middle Earth, Hugo Weaving looks to enter another fantasy world...

"After tackling the realm of Middle Earth, Hugo Weaving looks to enter another fantasy world, reteaming with his “Lord of the Rings” director."

"The book is set thousands of years in the future. Earth’s cities now roam the globe on huge wheels, devouring each other in a struggle over diminishing resources. On one of these massive Traction Cities, Tom Natsworthy has an unexpected encounter with a mysterious young woman from the Outlands, who will change the course of his life forever.Production is slated to begin in New Zealand this spring, and the film is set to bow on Dec. 14, 2018."

Anyone read these books? Shit could be cash

Mortal Engines is the book, woops

>Natsworthy
Will he be worthy in the end?

Also, what books?

First line: “It was a dark, blustery afternoon in spring, and the city of London was chasing a small mining town across the dried-out bed of the old North Sea.”

>bloom effect, stat!

That's sounds like a pretty fucking neat setting, actually

So it's Howl's Moving Castle meets Mad Max?

It sounds retarded. Also, it'll be a horrific CGI shitfest.

t. fun police

I think they just like hanging out in NZ

No, fuck you. It sounds neat

If only they could build practical cities on wheels.

Those marvellous green screen hangars, what a sight to behold.

i remember seeing this picture and little story that went along with it fucking ages ago on deviantart, it always stuck with even all these years later because of how fucking cool it was.

basically humanity rode on the backs of these giant, fuckhuge, island sized creatures, different cultures lived on different creatures and the creatures grew as the populations ont hem grew, the humans built fortresses and giant weapons on the backs of the titans, got resources from their byproducts, helped their creature by hunting, capturing and feeding smaller creatures to it.

always thought it was the coolest fucking thing ever, this kinda sounds like it.

Oh shit I know this book, they presented it for us at the library during a school trip. I kinda regret never reading it.

There's more to film than being neat

With a slightly steampunky feel to it, yeah

Yeah, and I was just talking about the setting, you cocksucker

> book cover

>there's totally no way to build miniatures

>any film after mid 2000s
>using miniatures

>Cities on wheels
Ehh, breaks disbelief a bit. I'd rather have a waterworld scenario where cities are gigantic ships where they also devour each other for resources.

>miniatures

that's little objects thanks, lets cut down on the offensive language

Any connection to Mortal Instruments where the cities were made of bones?

It's awesome, but I still don't understand why they made it look like a gigantic ruin. I get it, it's supposed to be well past its prime and in a sort of cultural decline, but I think they went overboard with the look. Also, why the fuck is it surrounded by a barren desert, what do they eat?

Kys

going to ruin the book desu.
its a late teenage novel im not sure if there's more than one
if i knew how to spoiler id spoiler the plot but i wont

shit was pretty cash. Pissed me off how the main couple went full retard in the later books though.

So, who's he playing? Magnus Crome?

Cities made of bones? I read all of mortal instruments and don't remember that. There's the italian city that they dimension-hop to and stuff in The Subtle Knife?

I think the only suspension is how powerful fuel is. If you can buy cities managing to move around by using each other's buildings and track / nibbling coal from open faces or eating forests, then there's not that much else. I think it could work.

[.spoiler]text goes here[./spoiler] without the dots, of course
or, if you're using quick reply, just select the text you want to spoiler and press ctrl+s

what are these things powered by?

poo

tax programs

not all the cities move

Yes I'm a big fan of the books actually.

Miniatures on wheels, don't be so absurd.

It has them as well. Brighton is a major ship-like traction city and Grimsby is a submarine parasite.

They aren't in the first book though.

Yup, one of my favourite book series. I wonder what Shrike will look like?

They prey on eachother in an ecosystem called municipal darwinism.

>Peter Jackson is gonna get pigeonholed in teen fantasy shit and stop making original things

>Resources are scarce
>Hurr durr better make our cities walk surely that's a great way to use our extremely limited energy

When you're writing a story it's generally a good idea to double check and make sure the premise isn't fucking retarded.

When's the last time he made an "original thing"? And it's not like his "original things" were ever that good in the first place.

Valentine!

Each other, like animals

Good q

If i recall in the extended edition appendices for rotk they were looking for a location for pelennor fields but couldnt find one so they decided to go for the cgi route

This. Every time he tries to be original he makes something shitty. However I doubt he'll ever do something as monumental as LotR, that shit had years of pre-production.

Still got the books, which I loved as a kid. Dunno if it'll make a good movie series though.

>The book has won a Nestlé Smarties Book Prize

Very prestigious

I'll do it, just the first book though. For now at least.

This was in pre-production before the Hobbit was, like 2009. This is the project they had pause when Del-Torro dumped the Hobbit on them.

It sounds like it would make a good video game, but maybe I say that cause it reminds me of Arcanum.

I think its a commentary on our attitudes towards the environment. We are basically being equally as retarded in our current use of the world's resources.

If I ever wrote a book, I'd be stoked to get the Nestlé Smarties Book Prize

I'd prefer an "Inverted World" adaptation. - it's also about a moving city.

Christopher Nolan could direct it; he's already done The Prestige, which is based on a book by the same author, Christopher Priest.

The ending of the book is a monumental headfuck, which also suits Nolan's style

That's even more fucking stupid
MUH GREEEN ENERGIES

>le unable to suspend his disbelief guy

Like clockwork

People always cast Del Toro in such a bad light for the Hobbit.

>project was literally going nowhere
>studio didn't even have the rights to it
>Del Toro and the team spent a long time working on it regardless
>finally gets fed up and leaves
>project rights suddenly acquired
>Jackson brought on-board, but didn't have any pre-production time of his own
>went with CG for expediency

This is basically the position of a major faction, the Anti-Traction League who want to BTFO all the traction cities.

>MUH GREEN ENERGIES
We, as as species, are literally(literally) destroying the planet we inhabit, and you're making fun of people who try to do something about it? You're living in a bubble.

I agree its pretty dumb. But I think that was the author's intent. These people are so obviously destroying their environment with a wasteful lifestyle but are oblivious because they either don't want to accept the truth or they were born into this system and don't know any alternative. The people who wish to live in fixed settlements are considered to be radical hippies with an unnatural lifestyle.

People supporting the "green energy" industry are to a one retarded, solar and Wind are memes and will never be remotely viable, not to mention they're wholly reliant on fossil fuels to even exist. If you want to write commentary on something you need to have a clue what you're talking about, otherwise you just end up writing a really dumb story.

Hydro and wave are highly reliable, clean and safe you fucking moron.

And nobody is campaigning for more Hydro, are they? They all want wind and solar. If they actually cared about green energy rather than just spouting stupid meme ideas they were indoctrinated with they'd be campaigning for Geothermal and Nuclear.

I don't think you even understand what a radical aka impossible overhaul it would take for us to switch the paradigm. For starters, are you get rid of all the transit powered by non-renewable fuels and mass herd animals we're raising? Answer to both is no.

I'd like to point out that the Green Storm are not the good guys in this situation. They're fanatical terrorists whose eventual leader wants humanity to go extinct.

Not nuclear, but we agree on principle. They aren't campaigning for Hydro because they're both uneducated and because Hydro rekts the environment(LOL). Geothermal and wave are feasible and reliable and the key to the future, unlike wind and solar which could lead to power failures whenever a fucking cloud decides to ruin your day and you have to revert to Hydro again. I'd go with Hydro anyway

Yeah I guess
It kind of beats you over the head with the theme but I can't say I've seen it before

The thing you guys are arguing about is literally what the central war in the series is fought about, well done!

And the alternative is..?

what kind of energy density you get outta hydro? i ive always considered solar and wind poor alternatives ever since i read some information on how it'd take a fuckhuge area covered by either to match a single gas fired power plant.

why the fuck are people against nuclear. my whole countries bought into the nuclear bad meme.

because muh chernobyl

i guess the point is that over time both those will improve its like the fact that the first combustion engines were useless its better than we start thinking about the future now so we can prefect it rather than wait till the very last position

Fuck yeah.
I read the first book like 6 years back and remember it was good.
I can't wait for a film desu

Just a quick question. What happened? Why are we sill draped apes?

I often find it hard to suspend disbelief about the kind of sci-fi or sci-fantasy where people for some reason just stopped doing AI or genetic engineering or uploading or anything that might have lead to a transhumanist revolution.

In this world, what was the catastrophic event that ended it all?

>what is studio laika
>what is weta workshop

if hes german its muh fukushema seriously i cant believe they started to shut down all the plants in germany after fukushima as if an earthquake is going to hit germany

>The large predator traction city London has been scavenging around the western hunting ground, a desert where the North Sea used to be. Hunting shitty little mining suburbs for fuel, that's what its doing in this image
>London is run by four Guilds, the most prominent two being the Engineers, whose leader is the Lord Mayor, and the Historians.
>The head historian, Valentine, has recently returned to London, having found a lost technology on an expedition to the Dead Continent (North America)
>An apprentice historian, called Tom, helps Valentine and his daughter Katherine make sure nothing valuable is lost in London's digestion yards, after it caught and started dismantling one of these small mining towns.
>A young woman with a covered face who was on the mining town, Hester Shaw, attempts to assassinate Valentine.
>Tom stops her, and sees that her face is horribly scarred from a sword wound, missing an eye, a lot of her nose, and twisting her mouth.
>She falls off the city
>Because he saw her face, Valentine tries to kill Tom by throwing him down a waste shoot
>Tom survives however, and along with Hester, start following London east across Europe.
>They hitchike on a tiny town that takes them to a market cluster of small towns gathered in the mountains. They are however drugged and attempted to be sold as slaves.
>Meanwhile in London Valentine and the Lord Mayor are becoming concerned that Hester may have survived, and might be able to reveal why London is travelling east.
>The Lord Mayor send an airship carrying a bounty hunter, the Stalker Shrike, who came to London in search for Hester, to find her and Tom's bodies in London's trackmarks. Shrike quickly realises that they survived and starts tracking them.
>Tom and Hester escape, and book passage on an Airship with a east asian Aviator, Anna Fang, who herself was once an escaped slave from one of the largest and most powerful living traction cities, the Russian City Arkangel.

>the protagonists daughter gets blacked

iirc its loss of water and a little bit of artistic license

It was a dark and stormy night in winter, and the city of Manhatten was chasing s small coal town across the dry wasteland of the mid west.

What if it does tho?

I'm on the fence about it. Security and safety have to be tighter than a teen chink pussy before the monsoon season tho.

I'll watch it, but only if the giant city on wheels stops, surveys it's destination, and says it's name aloud.

I love how this series escalates by the end the first book seems so quaint

There was something called The Sixty Minute War you can guess what happened

QT Icelandic as shaw though

So it was a handball match that turned ugly? Who started it?

These books are actually pretty great, especially for YA.

last i check germany isnt near any fault lines so if an earthquake was strong enough to do any damage to germany it would probably be the end of most of europe anyway.
i think may a meteorite hitting it would be likely

> it was a dark and stormy night
nice job snoopy

Global Nuclear War the series takes place so long afterwards that theres barely any historical records, America is completely irradiated and uninhabitable though and I think Australia is just gone if I remember. Canada turns out to be a haven though

I read an old french sci-fi book from the 60s that was almost exactly like that.

Except it was on tripods, not on wheels.

HOLY FUCK YES!

I loved these books when i was younger they are hugely underrated and will make incredible movies if done well.

Was pretty dark in places for a "kids" book and had some great original ideas.

>Canada turns out to be a haven though

I hate it when scifi gets so far fetched.

>that doctor that grafted a dead little girls head onto a dogs body

was he /ourguy/

At least shitposters are extinct in that world, poo in the loos EVERYWHERE though, the films will probably get a lot of diversity points

implying the bad guys can make the distinction between the US and Canada

if you get it, we will also get it

So wait. EVERYONE had the same idea to give their cities wheels?

not a single fucking accident in 40 years but nah, because fukushima its just shut em all down. and it was after the being hit by 2 fucking disasters, an earthquake THEN a tsunami and even then only because the company was retarded and didnt plan for earthquake + tsunami combo in the worlds most earthquake and tsunami prone country.

how many earthquake tsunami combos are gonna hit plants here? irrational fear is fucking holding us back god dammit.

That's Peter Jackson's work. He's dead now.

Peter Hackson is going to do more CGI than the prequels.

Europe and Africa all used wheeled cities, Asia is full off hippies, the Himalayas is their stronghold where wheeled cities can't travel