Statelessness

I'm considering renouncing my citizenship after moving to Norway, where my uncle is offering me a job in Reine, the fishing village he works in.

Am doing the right thing or cucking myself?

At least it's not Sweden, it might be a good choice. Why renounce your citizenship though? If Norway is anything like Sweden in this regard you could just apply for a permanent visum after a few years of temporary. The only drawback seems to be that you can't vote in that case. I think.

Because I don't want to live in the US in the future and they are the only country that taxes their citizens abroad.

This is meant for this.

Oh wow, that sounds ridiculous considering the already high taxes we have in Scandinavia. If it's a high amount I can see why you'd want to.

Anyway, I don't think you can go very wrong with Norway. They've always hit me as being a much less retarded version of Sweden, and thus hopefully remain uncucked for a bit longer. I know that a lot of young Swedes go to Norway in order to work in shitty jobs, because despite being shitty they earn you a lot more than most average jobs in Sweden do.

>because despite being shitty they earn you a lot more than most average jobs in Sweden do

Disregarding the probable, higher living costs, of course.

>implying you can just move to norway and work there
fuck illegal immigrant

You can offset US income tax with any foreign income tax you pay. You'd probably end up paying no US income tax given how high Norwegian taxes are.

Seing how politicians are gonna stay cucked;
I'd rather fill up one spot in the immigrant quota with an american than an afro-muslim

Leaving the land of free. You deserve to get a beatdown millenial fuck.

No matter what the shills are saying in these threads, if you want to live in a highly regulated country move to any nordic country. Its shit, nanny states who cant do shit. Also living in a little fishing village will make you depressed especially if there is long winters. No women, only alcoholic men in their 50's but maybe thats your cup of tee you fucking freedom hating faggot

Do you really want the sort of self-hating American who would renounce his US citizenship?

>Nationless

Literally kikeing yourself.

>choosing the lesser of two evils
you should wake up and do like we do, hate everybody and only favor your own people.

Yeah, but I'm not an illegal immigrant. My uncle has already sponsored my visa for permanent residence. My family is Norwegian, you know. My parents are not Norwegian citizens but their parents are, which doesn't qualify me for citizenship by descent. I speak Norwegian and grew up in a Lutheran family in rural Minnesota. The only times we traveled were to Norway, so I'm pretty fine with living there and assimilating.

No, I'm not self-hating. I just have grown up in a very culturally Norwegian family and that's my way of life. I would have to renounce once I get citizenship anyways—that's required

>I'm one-eighth Norwegian so I'm practically King Olav, please respect my pronouns and call me Fisk Suppe

I'm from rural Minnesota, long depressing winters are routine. I'm not really into sleeping around, I already did that in college a ton. Also, you're from Finland, how can you compare?

Well, I did go to St. Olaf College. Also, I lived in Tromso for a few years when I was a child.

Then disregard the bitter faggots in this thread and do what you want. Sup Forums is after all a fucking bitter shithole about everything and anything. Just because the world is shit doesn't mean you have to make your own world into shit.

All the nordic countries are practically the same. Shit village after shit village. Nothing gets done. Sweden is ofcourse an exeption since they are importing large amounts of middle easter and african labour.

Stay away from nordic countries at all cost. Especially Sweden.

Change state if you want change, but dont leave the US

I just hope you're fully aware of what you'll be giving up if you renounce it.

Go if you must, OP, but fyi the unemployment rate is rising, the jobs few (laborwork in south has gone to shit), and the ruralness you experience at home are indifferent here. Make sure you'll pack light and have a degree in something solid.

I've always loved it whenever I've visited, which has usually been once every year or so. However, I have never been to the Islamic Republic of Sverige or the Al Denmark, so I can't speak for them.

Swedes often live like Roma here. 20 people in tiny apartments etc.

You don't even have an ethnicity, Mr. Germitaly.

It must remind them of their garden cabins back home.

Cucksheds?

>the unemployment rate is rising
I just saw that. It may not seem like much at first but I hope it doesn't get out of control.

>the ruralness you experience at home are indifferent here
Really? My town only has around 1700 residents.

Yeah. The ones that can be locked/unlocked from outside, but not inside.

lol, had some friends who did that. Well, each to his own I guess. Although in these cases it seem like a lot of young Swedes see it as a "fun experience" to go and live with other people and party every other day etc. But It's quite funny I agree.

Welcome then. I love it too. It may be slightly depressing in the middle of winter, but it's the best place in the world when the summer comes around.

Depends where you travel. Most of the population live somewhere along the coastline or in fjords, as the structures and such for the big cities are made up by trading and the viking landmarks.

You guys should meet up and one of you could be a submissive trap.

>degree in something solid
I double majored in Norwegian and Physics. It was actually really cool, at my college I lived in a house owned by the college that hosted a Norwegian girl and four other students studying Norwegian.

Unironically kill yourself.

Why the hate for Norway? You don't have to live there.

> Depression in the winter time
Quads speaks some truth there. Skål.
Good on you. Then you should give it a shot and cross the pond.

What the heck are you talking about in just want to see a cute Scandinavian femboy.

Are you going to make over 80k a year?

Go on, explain. I plan to live in Norway for the rest of my life so why does it matter to me? I love the US and the people for the most part, cucks aside. No personal resentments are my motive. My parents actually live in Norway right now as they booked it and went back once I left for college. So, really I'm just going home in a sense.

Visiting and living and following the laws and regulations is 2 different things.

If you want to throw away personal freedom, go ahead.

Also, my grandparents on both sides, all of which were emigrants from Norway, lived with us when I was a child and our family lived outside of Tromso for about 3 years when I was 7. I fail to see how that is irrelevant. Also, my surname Ramsund, which is the name of a village in Norway that my father's family comes from.

>If you want to throw away personal freedom, go ahead.
What personal freedoms, specifically, am I throwing away?

It's not like you'd have to renounce your citizenship immediately right? You could just go and try it out, if it absolutely sucks ass you could just change plans/go back.

No, but I would if the taxes are too much.

>I want to become stateless

Expert here on the matter. Just DON'T.

nigga you'll pay more taxes in Norway. Where do you think you are going?

But you're in P A L E S T I N E

I don't think you can compare the two.

OP will be beheaded by Islam.

Sure, but by the time you start thinking about that you'd hopefully have a much better opinion of whether it's worth it longterm or not.

have considered dual? idk brah- me? I'd like Norway.

No, I'm talking about the fact that the US actively taxes its citizens who are living abroad, regardless if permanent or not. Meaning I pay taxes in both nations.

Do you know anything about Norway? If anywhere, that would happen in Oslo. Not in a rural fishing town. Also, Norway is not all full moon and open arms to immigrants, like Sweden. Hell, Norway is not in the EU.

you could just have a dual citizenship you know, just in case.

Nobody will give a shit and you'll have a harder time.

Norway prohibits dual citizenship in most all cases, from what I understand.

Well im not a lawyer, but nordic countries are much more regulated than the US. You cant for example own guns if you dont have a special purpouse for them (hunting or competive shooting). I know that you cant own a gun for self defence in Finland and I think Norway has pretty much the same gun laws. Norway also has higher taxation and the avarage living expenses are also higher. You have less money and this makes you another grunt in the society. You loose your freedoms by becoming a wage cuck and not getting out of the loophole. Dont know alot about starting a business in Norway or the US. But I would assume its harder in Norway due to taxation.

Since norway also is a Nordic country I expect there to be a bunch of small annoying pity laws, enivormental taxes etc.

Nordic countries try to hold your hand and mold you to a grunt by taxation laws that "steer you back to the sheep herd"

Switzerland does too. conscription exemption tax is levied on abroad citizens too.

Do not do it.
American citizenship is worth a lot and you should not just throw it away for some fishing village job.

And yeah i think almost every civil country does this

To renounce your US citizenship, you need to be paid up on all of your taxes for the last 5 years prior to renouncing. If your net worth is above 2 million, there's also a special tax on that money when you renounce.

Even if you renounce, you can still later be considered a US person for tax purposes if you live in the US for more than 6 months. If you renounce, GTFO and cut all ties to the US. Don't look back.

Just see it from my point of view: my entire family (and extended family) are from Norway. All my living family members/relatives are in Norway. I lived in rural Minnesota in a very culturally Norwegian household and, unfortunately, religious, which I lost when I got to college. From where I'm standing, I have a degree from an American university and am looking to start my life and my entire family is nowhere in sight. Aside from friends, I'm all alone here in the US.

>you can still later be considered a US person for tax purposes
Goddamn, that's scary. They really don't want people leaving.

Literally no country taxes non resident citizens, besides Eritrea, a one-party state with one of the worst human rights records in the world.

Still I pay my US taxes like a good goy because my US citizenship is worth it to me.

Go find some friends, before you move just stop for a second and think "Why are there so many greencard applicants? Why are people marrying people just to get into the US? Why are people serving 2 years in the US army to get a citizenship"

There are double taxing agreements between the US and most EU countries.

It is comparable since I don't enjoy most of the stated people rights, freedom of movement alone is a reason for you to reconsider your decision.

Does it even matter considering most of these issues will end up being resolved by a double-taxation treaty senpai?

Didint OP just say that the US does it?

Do you want US citizenship? Is that why you're angry? I know Finnish people being cold and cynical is a stereotype but damn. I have friends in Norway, going back to my childhood. I also have friends from college but they have all moved to St. Paul, New York City, Los Angeles, or Chicago, which I have no interest in.

damn I meant no *other* country, besides the US and Eritrea

The US taxes its citizens on all worldwide income - even if you earn income from from a foreign country X while living in foreign country Y.

There are currently 8 million US expats, and they have no government representation as a group. Taxation without representation.

>There are currently 8 million US expats, and they have no government representation as a group. Taxation without representation.

What is absentee ballot

Yeah there's a treaty, but I still have to file loads of worthless paper that says I pay $0, and the IRS can now call up my bank and ask for all my financial statements, which they have to hand over. Not even US banks are required to comply with such a request.

Canada is so cucked. Why does the US think anyone would move here for a tax haven?

Welcome. Look for russian qts while in the north. Many slavs here.

Who is your representative when you don't live anywhere?

You are going to deeply regret this.

People keep saying this without actually explaining why. The only place I would live, and have lived, is in rural Minnesota. Is that really what makes you consider me "so crazy to give up"? When you think of the US, you see large houses in NYC and LA, not cold rural America. Read what I said throughout the thread and tell me why I am going to deeply regret this.

Nah dude, clearly renouncing the most prized citizenship in the whole world to be a fucking fisherman on the other side of the globe is clearly the most rational course of action.

I'm not going to be a fisherman. The work I would be doing is logistical work. I have a degree and can change my situation within a year or two.

Pretty much all the expats and native Scandis in this thread are telling you you're making a huge mistake. I don't understand what kind of response you're hoping for.

Also, I have always lived extremely rural, except for college, which was outside of Minneapolis. I love rural life. Also, is US citizenship actually the most prized? I would think that it is the most sought after, by the numbers. However, I wouldn't think it would be first among emigrants coming from first world countries.

You're young. You haven't had a lot of experience in the world. Renouncing your citizenship is a huge deal. Dual citizenship is not the worst thing in the world.

How many people have you heard about who renounced their citizenship? This isn't a game, there are no takesies-backsies. Just do your future, more experienced self a favor and don't burn this bridge because you want to save $8k a year in income tax.

I think this may be a case of "grass is greener." I've been in the US and I know it has its weaknesses along with its strengths, just like Norway or Finland.

I think they are referring to the becoming statelessness part, not the moving part. Also, I think it's because they want US citizenship themselves. Most people I have met from the Nordic nations are critical of Americans but think America is a cool place to live.

do it

The unemployement is going down so companies are pushed hard to hire norwegians. This is not usa. No american dream or chances of succes to foreigners so your degree equals shit.

Good luck and dont suicide when you get a reality slap. Or suicide rate is high already.

>statelessness
Pretty sure you can't denounce your citizenship without citizenship to another country.

I think you have me wrong. I love the US with all my heart. It gave my family a new life when they first came here in the 1910s. It gave me a safe home as I have grown up. However, I don't want to live urban and, now that all my family members have left to Norway, I can't bear to live rural without family. Also, I stay about two weeks in Norway every year and lived for 3 years in my childhood. I know what it's like in Norway. I'm not some starry-eyed millennial.

Senpai, it sounds like you've actually put serious thought into this and culturally you won't have much trouble fitting in.

But like you mentioned earlier, it takes a few years to be eligible for Norwegian citizenship. Why don't you take those few years as a trial period, and renounce only once you've been approved for Norwegian citizenship? (Keep in mind by then you'll have already made a conscious decision to apply, etc)

This. US citizenship is highly valuable unless you're from another first world country. If you already are, it's not that life-changing.

>They really don't wan faggot billionaires dodging tax but still driving on the roads and sapping off the power grids

Also, since when does Norway allow dual citizenship? This is news to me. This is one of the main reasons why I made this post. I thought I had to renounce it anyways once I naturalize in 7 years.

Top kek. I've never been one for depression so I'm fine.

>No american dream or chances of succes to foreigners so your degree equals shit.
Can any other nordmenn confirm this?

>which doesn't qualify me for citizenship by descent
really?

i have maltese muh heritage on one side of the family and all I had to do to get citizenship was rock up at the consulate, give them some papers proving my grandparents are maltese, and their parents were maltese etc, hand over $250 and done

>but Malta is an irrelevant shithole
true, but it is part of the EU so the passport gibs access to the rest

I do understand the detractors, obviously don't become stateless, that is dumb as hell. If you're gonna renounce at least wait till you get Norwegian citizenship.

But they're acting like you're giving up US citizenship and becoming a Somali instead when this is really more of a lateral move.

Yes, Jus sanguinis countries have their own restrictions, and for many it only goes for parents. Also, Malta isn't that bad.

You are doing the best you could ever do. The USA citizenship is one of the one which imposes the most ludicrous burdens on its citizens in this whole planet.

>global income tax
If you are a US citizen you're literally an asset of the state.

I love the US, but goddamn. They really don't want you to leave. The fee for renouncing is over $2,000!

whats the job with your uncle btw?

As I mentioned above, it's logistical work at the fishing village of Reine.

Ramsund has a 300 population, why would you want to live there? Genuinely curious