Is the parody genre dead?

Is the parody genre dead?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_Jfh_r6Z1uI
youtube.com/watch?v=VtA6k08bvxw
youtu.be/mZHoHaAYHq8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hollywood is already a joke, what's the need for parody?

Scary Movie 5 is proof of the decline.

it used to be good in the late 90s/ early 2000s

their must be a load of fresh stuff to make fun of by this point

blame those jews who made meet the spartans and vampires suck and all those god awful "parody" movies

they literally killed a genre, and mel brooks is too old to bring it back

Is this /spoofkino/?
I unironically give it a 7/10.

it absolutely is, and it deserves more than a 7/10

the best in this genre this century

Try out Angie Tribeca user. It's a parody show along the lines of police squad and the naked gun.

The most recent one was Fifty Shades of Black, which was obviously a parody of Fifty Shades of Grey, but with black people, and it was pretty shit.

OH I'LL BE ABLE TO TAKE YOU TO SCHOOL I'LL JUST BE TOO DRUNK TO REMEMBER

Parody = hate crime

is that another Wayan's brothers things?

Tropic Thunder was pretty great.

I can't think of a good one after that.

Yeah, it is.

Yes.

This movie and the first 3 Scary Movies can never be made today. Not even Airplane. Don't even get me started on Ace Ventura. We're lucky we got to see and enjoyed them with out any backlash.

comedy is dead in general, even stand up is horse shit

The wayans brothers have been shit for longer than a decade

Twitter backlash in the big picture means nothing desu

see
This, pretty much

I've been slowly rediscovering a lot of forgotten parody flicks from the '70s through the '90s. It used to be a huge genre.

By no means are these quality films, but for interested anons check out the last 3 I watched:

>Mike's Mondo Video
late '70s SNL cast making a stupid as fuck experimental comedy film with film-school tier editing and writing, all parodying Italian mondos

>Kentucky Fried Movie
one of the OG parody flicks from the '70s, has a good gag or two, but also an uncomfortably long Bruce Lee parody that's about 1/3 of the movie -- worth it to see a couple racey jokes, though

>Silence of the Hams
early '90s thriller movie parody starring Dom Deluise and Billy Zane, with some good Clinton jokes thrown in that make you feel all warm and fuzzy nostalgic for the '90s

>Tfw you realize that the glut of superhero flicks and movies based on young adult novels could be two comedy kinos for our age

Yep, You cant make fun of anything these days without people screaming "Just let people like things!" or "stop being a hater".

Fandoms and cinematic universes wield too much power in the industry.

yes
youtube.com/watch?v=_Jfh_r6Z1uI

You know, I didn't realize how right you were until I sat back and gave it a moment.

Obviously everything in this movie is ALL played for laughs with tongue firmly planted in cheek, but people wouldn't stand for this shit today. No fucking way.

"Not Another Teen Movie" has:
>Teenage girl using a vibrator
>Vietnam vet being portrayed as a nutjob
>Racist caricature of an Asian
>Teenage tits
>Gay jokes
>A very minor black character who is the butt of the joke
>A song about teenage suicide
>A man getting beat and torn apart several times
>Teenage boys talking nonstop about sex
>Entire plot is about the weird geeky girl being "ugly" because she isn't fitting the female ideals
>Smoking
>Teen drinking
>Movie follows a main cast made up of entirely American and white actors

The only thing that would still "fly" is probably the incest subplot in today's movie landscape. Seriously.

Superhero Movie and the Comebacks got me to laugh a handful of times. They were mediocre spoof movies.

Someone should make a remake of a parody. The parody would be in the remake genre, while remaking a parody.

The real world is too stupid to parody. People in the future will laugh at us. We're living breathing parody now.

Except, make it darker. And grittier. Modernize the parody genre for the edgy new generation, make it violent and badass.

Contrast this to 13 Reasons Why kek

I was watching Beverly Hills Ninja today and realized that the movie could never be made today either. It would blow a modern audience's mind the way they "callously portray" the Japanese ninja clan, never mind the pace of the movie or its focus on straight up slapstick.

This, which is why I suggested Parodying modern film is pointless, because it is already a parody. So the parody has to be about the industry in general. You can guess why a movie like that won't be made though.

Movie 48 sort of did that? Sort of?

God, that movie was awful. I actually paid money for it...

Fate of the Furious is unironically the greatest parody film ever made. It's like everything big Hollywood movies are known for cranked up to 500% but played absolutely straight. It's a masterpiece.

why?

>search Movie 48

>movie 43
>some movie about interconnect stories or some bs

>48 HRS
>action movie with Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte

Which one is the right one? Those both sound like comedy/parody.

Honestly, though, eventually someone is going to make it, and if it's good and funny it'll be successful anyway. Progressive protesting has never actually hurt any piece of media.

Nah all these people talking about how it couldn't be made today are missing the big picture
Fun comedy movies can't exist anymore
Action, thriller, horror, are the only genres left for adults because everything has too be dark and gritty. It sucks that slapstick fun is really present only in kids movies now

Is this an issue with millenials or gen x? I honestly don't know.

>kids movies

tbf, all the movies this thread has claimed as good fun comedy of the past, I watched as a kid.

There's a difference between a kid's film and a family film.

First 2 Scary Movies are top tier though, you must admit.

I bet it was at least better than Meet The Blacks, that was The Purge with black people.

you forgot this scene

youtube.com/watch?v=VtA6k08bvxw

The only movie parody movie I saw in theaters was Scary Movie 3 made me want to watch The Ring again

Hot Fuzz and Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil are better than any of the Scary Movies.

Fight me.

Yes, Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer killed the genre for everyone because they kept pumping out shit.

Its an issue of lazy jews putting as little effort into moviemaking as they can regardless of Generation

There's nothing good enough to parody, everything is already a joke

>this was filmed at my high school
>can never watch it without recognizing everything

Angie Tribeca is pretty good. It reminds me of 30 Rock in terms of jokes put into one show. They get celebrities to just come in say a line and then disappear forever. Last episode had Chris Pine playing a Hannibal Lecter character which was pretty fucking funny.

They made a lazy parody of the superhero genre awhile ago. I think we're due for an awesome parody now.

This.

It used to be an era where people can have fun and all these spoof movies were coming out

Borat and Dave Chappelle were just 10 years ago, and they wouldn't be able to be hits today.

Actually, I'm surprised there hasn't been a Hangover/Grown-ups/Bad Moms/etc parody yet

user was probably talking about Movie 43

>Actually, I'm surprised there hasn't been a Hangover/Grown-ups/Bad Moms/etc parody yet

You're surprised that they haven't made a parody of a bunch of comedy movies?

Lies. Have you seen the two new Chappelle stand-ups? Jerrod Carmichael is pretty good too

Post meta sincere irony is in, my dude

NTSF:SD:SUV:: is also on par with Angie Tribeca. It only has 3 seasons though

>don't you know the Dewey decimal system ??
youtu.be/mZHoHaAYHq8

There was a movie called Tooken a parody of taken. The first 30 minutes was hilarious.

rewatching this tonight

I'm getting pussy no matter what

>the youngest wayans brother who keeps making parody movies
>latest movie got 7% on rt

Was that the one called "Who the fuck stole my daughter?" or is that a different one entirely?

Jesus

There is one though.

It was called the Hangover games or something.

>I'm surprised there hasn't been a Hangover/Grown-ups/Bad Moms/etc parody yet
There are. It's just direct to video/streaming shit

Yeah, seriously, just grading it against normal movies I still give it high marks. Who wrote it? Was it just lucky because it came out after the biggest spate of dumb highschool comedy movies all ripe for parody? It makes more sense to lump those all together in one school than whatever the "Movie Movie" guys were doing.

Hot fuzz and tucker and dale don't really feel comparable to scary movie and police academy types. They're all good, just kind of on different planes ya know?

>The Purge with black people

You mean an average day in Detroit?

hot fuzz isnt a parody its just a bad comedy movie
same way the terrible comedies with no actual jokes call themselves "black comedies " then proceed to bomb at the box office

scary movie 1 in its prime was god tier
hot fuz wasn't even better than the other movie that guy did, the zombie one was more funny and relevant considering how many shitty zombie movies were coming out
fucking hot fuzz was like a script written 10 years before it came out, i'd say The Guard is way better and way more funny

>Hot Fuzz is a bad comedy movie

Leave and never return

Is it wrong that I consider a spoof movie one of the hottest films I've ever seen?

>hot fuzz isnt a parody

>le reddit
nah, you need to leave with your shit taste in comedy films
you probably thought the thor trailer was good

They don't feel comparable because they're actually good movies on top of being parodies. The writers actually constructed good movies out of parody material, instead of thinking up all of the individual parody scenes and then stitching them together. It's why the Scary Movies got progressively worse as they started parodying more movies, because what they were actually doing was stitching together more and more disjointed parody scenes that clashed and made the final picture a mess. It's also where all the shitty parody movies got it wrong, as they tried to ape that way of doing parody movies but without any writing skill. So they were completely unable to take all of those parody ideas they had and bring them together.

Isn't Police Academy just a straight comedy and not a parody, though? If it's a parody I've been missing out on it for ages.

>hot fuzz isnt a parody its just a bad comedy movie
>shits on "black comedies" then praises The Guard

>I think a unique comedy movie that was original and innovative is good, therefore I must also like Generic Capeshit #91

You're a fucking idiot.

That masturbation scene at the start was the hottest shit I'd seen as a teen. Fuck the Fast Times pool scene.

so what if I did?

marvel is amazing I'm allowed to like

whatever I want to like. You fuckin dc cuck, go

back to pol

Hot Fuzz was the weakest of the trilogy.

Friedberg/Seltzer. Jewish names if I ever heard 'em.

Side note, I'm recallin' I have a friend who, one of his favorite movies is Date Movie. Tried to watch it, and even though it's objectively a fucking mess something about the mid-2000's has some charm for me. Couldn't say why.

Is it parody or is it simply willing to take it to the limit.

Has there ever been a more blatant attempt at trying to ruin a thread?

I honestly think you could do some fucking hilarious stuff with the whole Purge concept. At least, you could do a whole lot better than what those Jewish fucks are doing right now.

Fuck you man. Phoebe Cates is fucking smoking as opposed to that cocaine addict Chrysler Leigh.

First time I've ever heard someone come after that and not The World's End.

>Is the parody genre dead?
yes, parody movies killed it.

Story-wise you might have a point, but that depends on whether you connect with the characters and so it's entirely subjective.

But there's no way in hell Hot Fuzz isn't the strongest of them when it comes to the comedy aspect. I kind of get your thinking. When I'd only seen the movies once I thought Shaun was WAY better than Hot Fuzz. But then I rewatched them and it became clear just how much smoother and tighter the comedic script and delivery is in Hot Fuzz.

Shit I said police academy I mean naked gun. I think police academy is a little of a parody but I haven't seen it in a long time so idk anymore

the Disney jews make the same old shit over and over

SJW culture is being pushed by jews more than ever, it's like total fucking communist suppression to say shit against SJW bullshit in hollywood or you'll be black listed.

Jumpstreet movies and Scott Pilgrim were great. Edgar Wright is doing a heist movie now.. i hope it's good

3 was actually better than 2. and i wouldn't call it good but i liked white chicks for some reason

yes

it's the PC faggots that killed it

I fucking hate when someone tells me the hard truth

Scary Movie wasn't anywhere near as good as this masterpiece.

Finally someone else said it.

Hot Fuzz is unfunny trash, just like Shaun of the Dead.

Genuinely never met someone with opinions as wrong as this.

I thought Meet the Blacks was some sort of weird spin off of The Purge

*insert Big Momma's House copypasta here*

Nope, straight up parody if I remember the trailer right.

I realized that later but at the time I honestly thought they were trying to build some sort of cinematic universe out of the series by branching into different genres