Good at ice skating

>good at ice skating
>good at field hockey
>bad at ice hockey
Explain this

Other urls found in this thread:

nos.nl/artikel/694976-start-ijshockeycompetitie-uitgesteld.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I can't, it doesn't make sense. maybe a dutch user could shed some light. like you, for example

Being good at speed skating doesn't translate to ice hockey. Being fast in ice hockey is a dimension of a player, but it's completely useless if he has nothing else.

It's like asking why world class sprinters are not also world class wingers. Yeah, they're fast, and that's an attribute to the other sport, but if they can't dribble or cross or shoot who cares how fast you are?

For the last couple of years, there has been more money allocated towards ice skating and hockey, and less money towards ice hockey or other sports.

cool, maybe you could get to the second line of his post before you type out another 100 words?

i can't

and by the last couple of years I meant 30~ years

but having the facilities to produce skaters would surely translate into having the facilities to produce ice hockey players, even if it isn't 1:1
besides, it's more of a cultural point. their country takes those two sports seriously, but somehow doesn't combine them

Do you also think that batting in cricket and batting in baseball are the same? Controlling a round ball on grass is not the same as controlling a flat puck on ice.

Because they skate on their frozen canals, not dedicated rinks.

wow what the fuck

the first two are sports

>>good at ice skating
>>good at field hockey
>>bad at ice hockey
>Explain this
>bad at football

Brazilians play poverty ball on dirty roads not on soccer fields

probably because you've got real competition in ice hockey and you wouldn't be able to rack up medals by showing up

too tall > too high center of mass > fucked in contact sports

>t. PhD in dutch sportology

execute all dutch people

ok but you have to give us our gold back

Because we don't care about ice hockey.
A few years ago we only had 4 teams in the top flight competition.

nos.nl/artikel/694976-start-ijshockeycompetitie-uitgesteld.html

The field hockey players also rarely skate there is little crossing between the two.
Especially considering that field hockey doesn't stop in the winter.

Ice hockey is a meme sport.
/discussion

You can pretend to not care about ice hockey all you want, the question is why you do that considering the career oppourtunities of being good at ice hockey. While I'm sure you can live off being pro at field hockey and maybe even speed skating although I doubt it, you won't get filthy rich like you will by being pro at ice hockey.

The highest salaries in NHL reach 14 million USD a year. What's the equivalent for field hockey? Seriously, it's for your athletes own good to get good at ice hockey instead.

>What's the equivalent for field hockey?

Highest paid player in the world makes like 100 grand US.

Field hockey is the meme. Any sport in which you can't make a living is, by definition, a meme. Like British pea shooting or skittles.

Canadiens play hockey on frozen ponds, what's your point?

You know come to think of it, I see anons post that field hockey is better all the time, but I never see threads dedicated to it or any discussion on a field hockey league.

I noticed this too, the only threads happen during the summer olympics. It's on the level of table tennis popularity on here. It's only purpose is for them to try and shit on real hockey, none of them actually care about it.

I'd say table tennis is more popular because unlike field hockey I've actually seen people play table tennis here.

talking about Sup Forums, of course table tennis is more popular than field hockey here. field hockey is a upper class girl's sport like lacrosse but for girls only.

Nvm, that's exactly what your post was pointing out.

As a sport culture and maybe even in general, us Dutch hold great pride in technique and innovation, attributes that translates greatly in field hockey and speed skating.

We also tend to look down on physical stuff and when developing the youths in sports like football/soccer, physique of a player and physicality in general in playing strategies are deemed irrelevant in favor of focusing on technique.

So a sport like ice hockey is looked at as a brute overly physical sports for cavemen looking for a fight. We look down on sports like that, even when we're wrong, that's how we view it.

I think that's part of the reason we don't care for ice hockey.

But desu, all we need is one Dutch guy to be really good at it and reach the NHL and we'll get an ice hockey-boom because we're also bandwagoners.

>But desu, all we need is one Dutch guy to be really good at it and reach the NHL and we'll get an ice hockey-boom because we're also bandwagoners.

This especially. Every time we have someone being successful at a sport we usually suck at, the hype causes a new wave of youth joining that type of sports and often even gains interest and financial support of our government.

Do speed skaters get injured a lot because they always turn left and make that repetitive motion?

For instance, swimmers practice bilateral breathing to prevent overusing certain muscles.

I think they have back problems most often

It's like why americans don't do well in F1. The dutch can only turn left

we do have the lord of the cut inside in our midst

Any sport where you need to wear a helmet is a meme sport.

we used to have real competition in speed skating too but germany, norway and canada all decided to stop being good

Italy and USA weren't bad either but fucking hell what went wrong? Only Asian and Russian speed skaters are being somewhat successful

this

Lanklet nation

>us Dutch

>our
that gold belongs to israel desu

Easy... hardly anyone gives a shit about ice hockey.

Better yet.. hardly anyone in the Netherlands really cares about speed skating as a sport, but only tune in during the olympics to be happy that their country might win a medal. (or in our case 3)

Speed skating as a sport doesn't even register as a top 10 sports in the netherlands and only the north cares about it. The government dumps money into it to keep us on the map of speedskating because of the historical culture we have with skating in general.

If Friesland ever was to succeed from the netherlands speed skating at olympic level in the Netherlands would die out and the Frysian flag would dominate the medal count.

It really is the only reason to keep Friesland with us. Well... that and the cute flag with hearts

Holland is a cute country in general

Awww, happy valentines USA

what did they mean by this?

this
>ywn parachute into holland and link up with a qt dutch resistance girl

Cricketers can play baseball but baseball players cannot play cricket.

>good at ice skating
You mean good at speed skating. Different skate profiles, different goals. Speed skating is all about conserving momentum. Hockey skating is less about top speed and more about quick acceleration, quick stopping and quick direction changes. Entirely different disciplines.

As for field hockey, it's an entirely different sport. I don't think any of the skills would transfer over well. One uses a long bladed stick you use from a standing position, the other uses a short crooked stick you use from a low crouched position. One has players that are specifically offensive and defensive who cover very specific zones, in the other every player is involved in offensive and defensive plays covering the entire playing area.
Very little skill transfer between these sports. If you want to be good at hockey then throw tens or hundreds of millions at your development system, open an arena in every podunk and in a couple of decades you'll have a top 10 team.

>It's like why americans don't do well in F1
That also has much to do with the way sponsorship work in motorsports.

Baseball players can play cricket but cricketers cannot play baseball.