Not expecting people to agree with me here...

Not expecting people to agree with me here, honestly expecting you all to call me a fucking idiot for having this opinion. But anyone else think Spielberg is severely over-rated?? I mean sure the guy has made some good movies, but there's certainly been some shit ones as well. I just always feel empty when I finish one of his movies, like there's just a lack of substance or heart or something?? I don't know?? Just think there's a lot of better directors out there people are putting him over? Anyone else think similar, or am I just some psychopath?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_directors
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

E.T. is a masterpiece. One of the best films ever made.

I'm pretty sure everyone thinks he's overrated to some degree. He did classics like the Indiana Jones trilogy and Jurassic Park, but he also did Crystal Skull and Lost World.

Not anymore. He did a Lucas on it.

You're not wrong. His good flicks, and that's what they are, are crowd pleasing nostalgia. The nose knows will answer all your questions.

That's my point, I love me some Indiana Jones. Then he goes off and makes a new one with Shia, it's complete dog shit and people still want to credit him as the greatest director of all time? Makes no sense, people are burying all the shit films he's made for the minority that are great? I don't know man...

No he didn't. The original version is still available. I just watched it on Netflix.

Of his generation of directors he's the one who's most consistently put out major hits. It also helps that outside of Lucas he was the only one really interested in doing kids movies, so a lot of moviegoers grew up with nostalgia for his work. That's probably what gave him the edge on Scorsese to be the most popular director from that crowd.

He did a half-Lucas on it then. That sounds like some wrestling move lol

>feel empty
That is because Spielberg makes flicks, which is perfectly fine. In fact, he made some of the best flicks out there.

Like George Lucas wrote brilliant some Star Wars and Indiana Jones films, but people don't say "oh wow he's one of the best of all time" because we know he's made the Prequels and The Crystal skull as well. Why doesn't Spielberg get the same shit as Lucas if anything he's just as fucking bad...

>tfw De Palma didn't win

Because Spielberg still made decent movies after the 80s.

De Palma is based but it's obvious why he gets probably the worst rep of any of them. He made strictly hard-R shit and was never even slightly concerned about making prestige pictures.

He's the perfect cult director though

Spielberg is always working and has consistently put out enough varied and accessible movies in the decades surrounding Crystal Skull that it's easy to count as a footnote. Lucas really never did much with his career except the prequels.

Yes, but this man is being praised as one of the greatest film makers of all time. Like I get it he made Jurassic Park it was good for it's time, but he also made that steaming pile of shit The Lost World; like are we seriously going to forget these pieces of shit happened because he's made some good movies in the past??

spielberg has muh schindlers list so hes hollywood royalty

>Why doesn't Spielberg get the same shit
Because Lucas has always been a hack. He got lucky with Star Wars. The people that actually made it helped him hide it. When it came time to take full creative control with the prequels he fell on his face. Spielberg is a creative genius that made a few stinkers.

Do any serious film people really consider him one of the greatest of all time?

I know that friend, Lucas is a fucking mongoloid. However to say that Spielberg ain't at least half-downie and is just this all holy saint is just ridiculous..

His new movies are near unbearable. The only noteworthy exception to this is the Tintin movie he made which was all his and Lucas' Indiana Jones abomination wasn't and should have been.

His older works are undisputably classics of cinematic history and craft. Denying this is simply idiotic hipster contrarianism.

He just lost his edge on the way and stopped caring much is my guess, you can see that in all the behind the scenes stuff from the Indi Skull movie

They should considering he directed E.T. which is a film literally about art and the creative process and it's so fucking good it makes me cum.

That 30 year stretch from the mid-70's to mid-00's though.

He's one of the greatest in terms of cinematography. Not necessarily the best in terms of storytelling. Even his lesser movies are at least well made.

Like half the directors that list him as an inspiration are fucking better then he is and haven't made even half the shit he has...

I think you're just mixing up people's perspectives here. Your average casual movie-watcher will probably view Spielberg as the best ever because he did Jaws, Indiana, ET, Jurassic, etc. Your average film critic type instead has the more realistic perspective that he has his place in film history and has produced a remarkable number of classics, and while he's far from a great artist, the ratio of good/decent films to bad ones in his prolific output since the golden years has proven that he's at least not a hack.

I don't know about nuances in cinematography but there is nothing special about the themes or storytelling in his movies so I'm inclined to say he's an overrated hack.

His movies feel like they are designed to appeal to bleeding heart baby adults but that's just my opinion.

Thanks to Michael Crichton Jurassic Park was pretty good, though.

>He made strictly hard-R shit
Untouchables
Mission Impossible
Mission To Mars

The point I'm making here is not that he's a hack, it's just that he's most certainly a god; and that's how most people view him.

Lucas didn't really write anything, but rather bounced around a ton of ideas with Spielberg and/or Kasdan, who then filtered out all the bad ones. Problem with the prequels is he didn't use anyone as a filter, so all the bad ideas remained.

I've always thought that Saving Private Ryan is his only genuinely good movie. Also spielbergs movies are predictable as fuck and he has probably never taken a single risk in his life.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_directors

Untouchables wasn't hard-R? You had Outsiders kid getting his face shot off, Connery getting shot to pieces, all that good shit.

As far as the other two, M:I is a good point but it's literally the only success De Palma had with a real blockbuster. After he tried taking his career in that direction it pretty much plummeted. Case in point, Mission to Mars.

Like fuck Jaws and E.T and then we are supposed to forget the shit he has made?? Like if Tarantino made Meet The Spartans would we give him the same luxury? Like it's fucking ridiculous.

I guess he just fits directly into that sweet spot between critical acceptance and lowest-common-denominator appeal.

You don't make $9.246 billion at the box office by not taking any risks.

Nobody views him that way. He isn't held in the same regard as someone like Hitchcock or Kubrick or even Scorsese. He's more of a Tim Burton type, he made some classics and continues to make new movies to this day even if they're not notable or good.

Load of shit, he played it safe so he could make bank at the box office. He never truly steps outside his comfort zone.

He's much more highly regarded than fucking Tim Burton.

Close Encounters is universally considered a masterpiece. Every year more reconsider A.I. being one as well.

Burton's a hack

Agreed.

I actually just googled and apparently his newest movie titled 'The BFG' was the first big flop of his career... point in case, if you always go for the safer and safer bet, at some point your movies are going to become so boring and uninvolving that no one enjoys them.

Cameron would have been a better example, but he doesn't do enough films.

Yeah. He's like a James Cameron that doesn't sniff his own farts and doesn't take 10 years to make a movie. He just gets shit done.

Absolute garbage rat, played onto the feelings of people at the time in a sick way.
E.T was a fucking shit poorly written and acted film.
Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park same ridiculous shit film garbage

I feel that way about everything he's done since Private Ryan, but the stuff before it is great.

Garbage taste.

He's made far more great movies than "okay" or bad.

I imagine most "not feeling anything from his movies" depends on how old you are now, since you've experienced a bunch of others movies that followed his own, which makes his own stuff seem less meaningful.

He's made some great movies, but none lately. He has just gotten lazy and probably isn't as motivated like he was when he was younger to really try and push the medium.

This, I've been watching Amazing Stories and fuck me if it's not full of cliches and plot holes but then he has this great image in the screen and you realize that he was just letting you know what he wanted in the screen. The tropes are kinda boring but who am I to judge him?

El Farto stopped giving a shit about second half of movies since Jews-Killing-Nazis-Counting-to Three-With-Different-Fingers.

pretty much.

at his prime, he's GOAT.

also

>Tintin

aww yeah, my man.

Sorry to disappoint you, but this is not a contrarian opinion.

Like many great directors, he was better in his youth when he had to work his hardest to establish himself.

I don't like the fact that he has the talent to do kino (A.I. or Munich) but chooses to do flicks from time to time nonetheless.
Still incredibly gifted and fine by my book though.
May be you can consider him overrated because he's too mainstream, but that's it.

While his newer films aren't that great, they aren't nearly as bad as Lucas, De Palma, or a lot of other directors from that era. The only I've that comes to mind who can still make a classic is Scorsese. Sure he's made some bad films, but not enough to discredit him. He's just gotten boring, I don't care to watch a new Spielberg film like I used to.

>A.I.
>good

Ouch. If you'd have said Minority Report I wouldn't have complained but A.I. is a steaming pile of shit

This pretty much nails it actually

>Jaws
>Close Encounters of the Third Kind
>Indiana Jones
>E.T.
>Jurassic Park
>Schindler's List
>Saving Private Ryan

And that's not including stuff that he produced, but didn't direct. (Or reportedly ghost directed, like Poltergeist)

Nah, Spielberg is not overrated. He's directly responsible for some of the best/most iconic films of all time.

Has he lost his edge? Yeah, but that doesn't undo all of the great shit he did in his prime.