MST3K 'The Return'

It's out, thoughts?

I've been cautiously optimistic from the beginning and expected it to be complete garbage. After watching the first 6 episodes I think it's pretty enjoyable, the only things that bug me are how the jokes seem more like machine gun bullets rather than buckshot, and the remote control puppet mouth movement is a bit wonky and very distracting when it doesn't sync up to speech.

>inb4 anime reaction images instead of constructive criticism and discussion

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0qcO_tcnOQs&list=PL7ZaORKa_vX2gOLUjskIRZENFpL0XMBXO
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The voices of Crow/Servo are distracting but otherwise I'm enjoying it. Surprised by Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt.

I refuse to watch it.

Yeah me too! I honestly thought they'd find ways to shoehorn in forced [CURRENT YEAR] jokes along with cringe worthy memes.

It's pretty much what I expected, pretty alright with few highlights here and there. Feels a bit different but how could it not after over fifteen years? I feel like I got my money's worth ( just need that coffee mug delivered). Hopefully it does well enough to warrant more season, though I was annoyed to learn it's not on European Netflix, so future seasons are going to be a bitch.

You kinda get used to Tom after a few episodes. It's very jarring in the beginning, I fully admit that.

There's no reviews on Metacritic or Rottentomatoes yet so I don't have an opinion

But for real it's a little too much of a time investment right now for me and I don't want to sink in too many hours to something that is just 'meh'

Also Felicia Day annoys me. I used to have a "crush" on her like 2010 and now I'm embarrassed that I fell for that meme

There is a reason they stopped doing the invention exchange at peak series popularity.

The live band? Why?

The premise of days and oswalts characters arent good.

Honestly watching makes me reminisce for nelson brain guy bobo and pearl

Crow is and always will be best part of show

WHERE'S THE FUCKING TORRENT

I heard it was pretty bad and they don't do continuity with the jokes in the movie, but I've seen positive reactions on Twitter.

>Crow is and always will be best part of show
This. I disagree with most of what you said though.

Wouldn't say Crow at all, but definitely Tom.

Only on ep 1, the jokes seem a little more scripted even if they were scripted in old mst3k... Stuff like them saying lines before something happens on screen. Still funny, though.

My advice for watching nu-MST3K

Step 1. Skip literally everything but the movie riff

Step 2. See step 1.

and you're good. I've laughed a good few times watching, and other than the voices which i then stopped noticing after a few episodes it's actually not bad.

I can't comment on the wife murderer or Grandad fucker, because like I said, I skipped past them every time.

They're relatively inoffensive, but they're nowhere near as good as old Forrester/Frank

It's fucking shit.

Does anybody else feel like they cut away from the movie like twice as much as they used to? It's really annoying.

Same. Rifftrax exists so this whole reboot seems pointless.

I was expecting the worst but they really pulled it off. Granted I never watch the sketches my only interest is the movies and the riffs

It's actually great. I was wrong about the whole thing.

The original sucked, anyway. This seems no different.

Some general thoughts.

- New Crow is fine, but he sounds almost exactly like a perfect 50/50 mix of Trace's and Corbett's Crows and it kind of weirds me out.

- The host segments are whatever, but I was never really a big fan of them in the original show

- Felicia Day is fine given the material she has to work with

- Patton Oswalt sucks

- Jonah and Tom sound incredibly similar and I'm having a hard time telling who's speaking during the theater segments

It's shit
I couldn't even finish watching it
It's unfunny garbage

I like both mike and Joel and this new guy sucks hard dick

Stop trying to shill this shit on Sup Forums

sage

>Jonah and Tom sound incredibly similar and I'm having a hard time telling who's speaking during the theater segments
I mix up Tom and Crow actually
Jonah's voice is deeper than Tom's and half the time the guy playing Tom does a shitty higher pitched impression that sometimes sounds like crow.

>- Jonah and Tom sound incredibly similar and I'm having a hard time telling who's speaking during the theater segments

I dislike the Tom voice, and this is one of the worst parts about it.

On the first episode right now, going to try to stay positive.

How much money do you get if you get this thread to 300 replies?

The show seems polarising. You either like it or you piss all over it like usually Sup Forums hate of things because they are new

>the jokes seem more like machine gun bullets rather than buckshot
Shit, Trace was like a sniper rifle.

And Bill is a Revolver?

Bill was more like a howitzer.

Looking forward to watching it, although I'm not sure if ill have the energy to watch a whole episode after work every day

FUCK OFF SHILLS
>FUCK OFF SHILLS
FUCK OFF SHILLS
>FUCK OFF SHILLS
FUCK OFF SHILLS
>FUCK OFF SHILLS

This. How do you expect me to watch it without any torrent out?

The jokes are more like saber slashes, rather than axe chops.

Tom, Servo, and Jonah all sound the same to me. I like that the bots are more animated, but Tom flies around too much.

Also it uses the "why use one joke when six will do?" method of humor which comes off too ADD. Way too much singing, too.

Otherwise, I'm pleasantly surprised. The jokes land pretty well and Jonah does well with the puppets.

Oh and I don't hate them but I don't understand the bumpers. There's no commercials, why are we cutting away to hear Patton Oswalt talk for a few seconds and then cutting back?

Joel=shaolin spade
Mike=katana
Frank=desert eagle
Bill=tow missile
Kevin=winchester rifle
Trace=sharpened stick
Mary Jo=nunchuck

Any disagreement is null and void

You're stupid and you don't even know.

Some people liked my suggestion in the last thread so I'll just carry it over.

"So none of the original voice actors for the bots are back? No Mike? Patton Oswalt is involved?

No thanks.

I wish we had more MST3K produced back when it was originally on, of course, but it at least had a nice ending. They should have just made new characters/setting for this and presented it as something that was in spirit of the show.

Hell, it's not hard to write up a concept for a show like that. Dude gets lost in the woods and finds cabin/abandoned drive-in with bunch of shitty movies and watches them with a fucking bigfoot/mothman/cryptid thing. Something stupid like that."

>doesn't know how/when to greentext

You have to go back

Yeah, Joel left and the TGIFriday's waiter didn't know how to write invention jokes good.

It's decent but compared to the original the jokes are like a large thin crust pizza with pineapples whereas in the original the jokes were more of a medium stuffed crust pepperoni pizza.

>Watching tired men in their early 60's make fun of Hollywood films meant for tweens
It's like Red Letter Media in 20 years.

Is your post a giant quote of something?

The jokes feel like runny diarrhea when they should feel like a natural afternoon shit.

So you prefer the new version?

>an actual on point shitpost
>on Sup Forums

Well there's something you don't see every day.

No. The large thin crust pineapple pizza implies that while there are some good jokes (aka the actual pizza) they're all but overshadowed by the shitty pineapples.

>shitty pineapples.
Again, the things you are saying don't make sense.

nice pasta from last thread

>They should have just made new characters/setting for this and presented it as something that was in spirit of the show.
>Hell, it's not hard to write up a concept for a show like that. Dude gets lost in the woods and finds cabin/abandoned drive-in with bunch of shitty movies and watches them with a fucking bigfoot/mothman/cryptid thing. Something stupid like that
There already is a spiritual successor to MST3K
youtube.com/watch?v=0qcO_tcnOQs&list=PL7ZaORKa_vX2gOLUjskIRZENFpL0XMBXO

Just like the original the episodes are hit and miss. Some times they are hilarious and sometimes they aren't.

REEE the old show was perfect because it was written by trump supporters. This new show is terrible because i'ts written by leftist hollywood jews!
REEE

>inb4 anime reaction images instead of constructive criticism and discussion

It's shit. Jokes are forced and poorly timed, host spots are horrible and a waste of time, and the voices are extremely off. Also Gypsy's voice is terrible. Pretty much what you said, with the exception of liking it.

Gypsy with a normal voice is really fucking weird. Otherwise the movie bits have been funny and I'm still not quite sold on the host skits.

JERRY...

Some thoughts:

>new Tom Servo sucks

>I want Felicia Day to sit on my face

>the riffing has timing issues but in my opinion is even funnier than the original series

>Joel>Mike

I don't understand. I haven't watched it, but people are saying crow and servo's voices are distracting. They're fucking puppets. Why wouldn't they cast people that sound pretty much exactly like them.

With that said I'm not going to watch it until I see more trusted reviews. This seems absolutely dumb and pointless considering the show is ageless. Mike Nelson could still be doing it. You don't need all these cool guy new people.

They have to riff as well, it's not just a voice gig.

>more trusted reviews
Like who?

They throw out jokes way too fast, they give them no time to breathe. It's like in the writing room they didn't want to reject anyone's jokes so they try to figure out how many they could fit in between lines.

Gypsy is like the mom that sees everyone having fun, then comes in and says something to try to be cool as well and makes everyone feel awkward.

I have a hard time telling who's saying what at times, partially cause they talk so fast and partially cause they sound alike.

So far after 2 episodes I find myself laughing very little, I pretty much slept through the second one cause it was so boring. The third episode so far is decent though.

I....
I.......
Just finished watching it and it was better than I thought it would be. Was expecting a complete disaster, got some tolerable-tier MST3K.

Biggest complaints thus far: The camel is awful. She was pretty limited in the episode, if they just leave her for the invention exchange and Push the Button Frank then she'll be tolerable.

Host, Crow, and Tom's voices are too similar. Found myself having a hard time telling them apart when the kino was running. Similar topic on voices, WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO TO GYPSY REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Flying Tom is kind of annoying. Maybe they're just overdoing it for the first episode and they'll calm the fuck down. Related note, they need to fucking cut the puppet strings on his arms and let his big beautiful springs fly free and floppy as God intended.

Overall surprised it wasn't a complete trainwreck like I anticipated. TV's Wife Killer was alright, I'm glad they focused on him more than the camel, and the new host seems ok. Glad they had the invention exchange as a bit of silly nonsense and it was alright.

Was that supposed to be a negative criticism?

Also, I'm honestly not interested, and I've loved MST3K for as long as it's been on. The sets look great, but MST is one of those rare shows that had a perfect run and didn't need a reboot/sequel/etc. Rifftrax was honestly the most organic way to follow it up.

>I pretty much slept through the second one cause it was so boring.

what. cry wilderness was a huge improvement over the first episode

>Joel>Mike

Opinion disregarded.

the Twilight with the CGI baby who falls in love with the werewolf is better riff material than 90% of MST3K's ouvre

also when Rifftrax does older movies it's always gold

Yeah me too! I'm glad I was wrong about it for once, the sketches aren't too bad, I even laughed at a few, like the invention exchange where the Mads create a device that turns phrases into movie posters.

Yeah, I got a 'best of both worlds' vibe from Crow's new voice.
With Day and Oswalt, I've been doing my best to separate 'artist and their art,' and I'm trying to be as open minded as possible.

I'm sorry actual discussion about television shows makes you angry, maybe you should goto a board like where they discuss everything but what the board is for. Also I'm getting paid with dildos to shove up my boy hole.

Yeah honestly I slept halfway through 'Time Travellers,' I felt the same way about the jokes though, I remember openly asking my tv to stfu
during the first episode, the jokes really do need time to breathe.

Yeah, Gypsy's new voice was strange, it feels akward.

First episode leaves a bad taste in your mouth. It's really not that good. Been marathoning it all day since this morning. Watch the second episode before giving a final opinion. I feel the rest of the episodes have been decent.

The host segments are all terrible. For god's sake they had Seinfeld make a cameo and it wasn't funny at all. Just awkward.

Felicia is terrible.

Patton is surprisingly good, though he's still an awful person.

Still butthurt that they didn't invite Mike to do a cameo.

Sets/VFX are good.

New Crow is perfect, I'm amazed.

New Tom is shit, I wish they brought on Ross Scott.

They didn't explain what the fuck Tom and Crow are doing on the Satellite of Love and that irks me.

Some thoughts:

Watching this is a little bittersweet for me; back when the original aired it was very much a circumstance of perfect place and time. I was at an age when this stuff was gold for me. I loved shitty movies, and Joel/Mike would have jokes that were clever and had me actually research what they were referencing to understand them.

This? I guess it's passable. Felicia Day doesn't bring anything to the table like Forester/Pearl did, and Oswalt might as well not even be there. I'm only 4 episodes in, maybe it will change.

The whole thing seems...forced? Like instead of doing something with a similar premise they decided to Frankenstein the corpse of the old show? Some of the jokes and references seem really sad and there just for the sake of "reference": Bobo, Pearl, and Brain Guy showing up to visit, the one Rowsdower joke, etc.

If the idea was for this to be "this generation's" MST3K, then they shouldn't have bothered having this be tied to the old platform. Take a risk, do something new. As it stands it neither stands on its own or successfully rekindles any real nostalgia I had for the original.

If you're wondering how (Tom and Crow are on the Satellite of Love)
and other science facts (la la la),
Then repeat to yourself, "It's just a show,
I should really just relax

They spent several minutes of the show setting up the lore. Clearly they want me to care at least a little.

Ross Scott as Tom would be fucking amazing!
I wish Mike was involved too, it makes me question the existence of the entire show. I wish people could just get along, it leaves a 'something rotten in the state of Denmark' feel behind.

Yeah, they bother to bring back Mike's Mads but not Mike, what the fuck? Even if it had him being schlubby, watching movies in an apartment.

I feel like if I wanna listen to a bunch of vaguely funny dudes riff on pop culture there's a bunch of free podcasts I can listen to while also doing something else. The original show has a natural feel that I doubt will be recaptured. This is a shitty product preying on nostalgia.

I must have missed it - but what the hell is Gypsy dropping off and picking up in the theater?

Gypsy's new voice doesn't fit at all and is jarring as fuck. It's like they got someone's mom to read a line.

Apparently per Joel, it's "the payload", but they don't have a function for it yet

>Yeah, they bother to bring back Mike's Mads but not Mike, what the fuck? Even if it had him being schlubby, watching movies in an apartment.
It's because he's a conservative.

I think it's okay. Not great, but most of the episodes I've seen pass as at least mid-tier MST3K (ep 1 was the worst). One criticism is the riffing needs to feel more like natural banter, with more of the three reacting to and playing off each other. That's something that the late Mike episodes did really well

also, since I've listened to so much Flophouse and am familiar with his sense of humor, I was hearing a lot of the jokes in Elliott Kalan's voice and kind of want him to be one of the bots for season 2. (he was the head writer)

if you haven't even seen it why do you think anyone cars about your opinion? pure shitpost

They don't shut up enough. They talk *constantly*, way more than Joel/Mike ever did. It's like they're terrified to let there be a moment of silence.

Oh yea I forgot, it's the [NEO CURRENT YEAR] why does everything I love have to be infected by that shit?

Watching episode 2 right now, Cry Wilderness. Anyone else think Paul is cute? I would be a good dad to Paul.

Because this timeline sucks ass. Still for the most part they have kept the politics to a minimum and I'm a few episodes in.

Can't wait for this PC shit to do away.

Out of 2 episodes I've laughed at the host segments once (the raccoon skit in episode 2). Which is to say that so far they're doing better than the original show's host segments.

>I feel like if I wanna listen to a bunch of vaguely funny dudes riff on pop culture there's a bunch of free podcasts

Do you understand that this is a scripted show? You're comparing two completely different things

Which reality are you from? Beranstien or Beranstain?

Bilderberg

Dear God...

Invention exchange was primarily a Joel thing since he was so big into prop comedy.

Why didn't Joel come back?

Felicia Day and Patton Oswald suck like usual.

The actual riffs aren't that bad, they're like a mediocre episode of the original series, which is actually saying a lot. I laughed a few times and generally enjoyed the experience.

I expected it to be 0/10, but it turned out to be a 5/10 or a 5.5/10 so far (I'm only on episode 3).

The biggest issue with it is that it just makes me want to go watch the old series. They keep making references to the old, better series. Rule #1 of movies (or series making I suppose) is not to reference things that are better than yours. If they wanted to make a spiritual successor they should have gone in a different direction as other anons suggested. Bringing it back like this makes it feel like a corpse that has been reanimated.

It's worth watching for me because I broke both my legs in an accident at work and they're paying me a shit ton of money to stay home.

Idk I'm just tired of all the female and race baiting. I miss the 90s everyone is equal who gives a shit attitude.

Okay, the episode 2 movie credits was some hilarious shit.

20 mins into Reptilicus and the quips are a little too fast for me. It's like, stick to one bit and leave some silence in between you know? Does it get better later on? I was impressed with the model stuff and I still like the Tom and Crow characters and some quips genuinely made me laugh, though.

They keep up the quick pace which is one of the main reasons it is worse than the original.

There is no time for the jokes to sit in the air. It doesn't feel as organic.

I really enjoyed Cry of the Wilderness, Avalanche, The Land that Time Forgot, and The Love of Hercules

Dang, well I'll stick with it for a few more. I think the jokes are still strong, just too fast to digest you know? Like the whole 'scientist eating frozen samples' schtick was great and they re-referenced it humourously. I just feel like they were going rapid fire for awhile there.

He's the producer and one of the writers, and he's gonna have a cameo.

Ok the monsters around the world rap was pretty great

He's the guy who pulls the movie Lever, Ardy

>A camel and six faggots
Sounds like the start of a joke.

what a weird post