Why did the west give up on animation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v6Q6y4-qKac
youtube.com/watch?v=QvLKVcEACls
youtu.be/iMFMa8B4ovM
youtube.com/watch?v=2HR4Junqmzg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Amerifat ameriaudiences dont americare

Because it's considered for kids for the most part.
Once it'd be socially acceptable that there are anime for adults with serious tones - it'd be relevant.

Because Amerifats are lazy and untalented

anime is generic and poorly animated

I don't get it, left looks clean and nice

I'm no expert but if I had to guess I'd say its a number of factors including considerable cost to make, limited platforms to air, and a cultural conception that pigeonholed the form into a few very distinct genres (raunchy adult comedy or children's show).

With the amount of Anime that Japan puts out I'd have to guess that they have way more than the like half a dozen channels in the US that air animated content. If you were to have an idea for an animated show today where could you even pitch it? There's Fox which only airs a specific kind of animated sitcom, FX which recently discontinued its animation block (whose shows were produced on shoe-string budgets), CN & Adult Swim, Netflix, Disney & Nick and that's pretty much it.

i saw the first heavy metal in for ages and fuck me it was awesome and wonder why the hell dnt we see western animation do this level anymore

>says that while western 2D animation is full of dogshit like squiggly arms because they cant be bothered or are unable to do limbs properly

Art quality =/= animation quality

I mean it as a whole

western animation features different styles and techniques

Japanese animation just copies one generic style and just all starts to blend, Its getting better but they were basically just ripping off american action movies in the 80s and 90s, now you have plebs who think ghost in the shell is original and not a rippoff of bladerunner and dribble shit about "eastern philosophy"

That budget factors in the amount the Simpsons VAs are paid, which is a fuckton.

a large chunk of that budget is voice actor salary

>Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith, Hank Azaria, and Shearer’s salaries have fluctuated many times since The Simpsons premiered in 1989. They earned a measly $30,000 per episode until 1998, when it was bumped to $125,000. After threatening to strike in 2004, their pay was increased to reportedly somewhere between $250,000-$360,000, and again in 2008, when the per-episode salary went to $400,000.

>western animation features different styles and techniques

sure

there are japanese animation with different styles too you know, likev Mind Game or Tekkonkinkreet

What's ironic is that US outsources everything to China and Japan outsources everything to Korea and US STILL costs more. How do they do it? How much money do (((they))) pocket on every movie release?

I do believe the animation style from Heavy Metal is a pain in the ass to do but then again it is what they are paid to do. Made movies could do like Heavy Metal and have different studios doing different parts of the movie. Anyways Heavy Metal is an awesome movie.

Heavy Metal 2000 wasnt nearly as good but it ties well in to the other related material that is the comics and the game

>$400,000
>per episode

i dont see that level of detail in anime any more ether
remember seeing the starship macross for the first time and the detail blew my 10 year old mind

anime animation quality is shit for most scenes and then every show blows it's budget on the main fights in the first episode and the finale

>Japanese animation just copies one generic style
Even if you're a typical amerifat, surely you've seen Dragon Ball and Mononoke and can tell the difference.

they got 30k for 1 episode in 1998? Isnt that like 20 episodes a year? 600k for one season of voice acting?

>a measly $30,000 per episode

is this how kikes think?

5 centimeters per second was kino desu

Weeb=shit

youtube.com/watch?v=v6Q6y4-qKac

Studio ghibli's animation quality is fucking miles ahead of anything produced by westerners. Their most expensive movies still only cost 30 millions$

>claiming Western animation is inferior
Laughing my butt off for real.
Enjoy your inflexible 10FPS copy-and-paste trash.

probably my favourite romance movie in general tbqh.

Really hit home for me on so many levels... fuck I think I'm going to watch it again tonight

>quality of animation is indicative of the quality of the film overall

I'm not trying to defend the simpsons movie, it's not great, but your photo is stupidly misleading (probably on purpose though)

animation as a medium though
also

>measly $30,000 per episode until 1998

There were 203 episodes between the show starting and 1998

That's $6,090,000

>still hasn't realized that Hollywood inflates the price of everything to dodge taxes

Yeah, I also had remembered memories of a long distance relationship which ended in a bitter breakup for me when I watched it.

It was also my first breakup in an overly long list of breakups reaching up well to double digits.

Any more good long distance relationship-kino or breakup-kino?

>only get a pay raise when the show goes to shit

"Then" meaning a span of 50 years

>Netflix

Netflix is getting more and more into the anime business these days. They grabbed exclusive rights to LWA.

Amazon is jumping in too.

I like how Japan can make something as simple as an autist eating look very pretty and arousing. This is the problem with modern western animation, everything has to be crude, simple, and goofy.

Not really, but yes, Ghibli has great animation. They actually animate in twos (12 fps), like it's common in the west, unlike what has been standard in anime which is in threes. That's also why their movies cost a lot more.

>I like how Japan can make something as simple as an autist eating look very pretty and arousing

Just kill yourself

The Simpsons Movie was hand-drawn, bud.

Stay mad Sup Forums

>implying that you need good animation to have a good show

You say, on a website created to discuss anime

30k an episode? That's a fuckton of money. 2 episodes and they make more money in 1989 than I do a year in 2017

I like hpw the west can make something as simple as a family man eating look funny and comedic. This is the problem with Eastern animation, everything has to be sexual, cute and arousing

forgot video
youtube.com/watch?v=QvLKVcEACls

everything in the west looka like a shit

flat and clunky

>being hand drawn is now somehow an achievement for western

so was the majority of 5cm per sec im pretty sure

money

Now THAT'S animation.

Post 2008 cartoons are extremely shit.

Incredible cherry picking you got there. Soulless major studio releases vs the most critically acclaimed films of the style

Besides, western animation is all about movement and fluidity, whereas Japanese anime tends to focus on beauty within a single frame.
In other words, you can't capture Western animation with a still. That's retarded.

>I like how Japan can make something as simple as an autist eating look very pretty and arousing.

Fuckin weeb. Why does a person eating have to get you hard? This is the problem with Jap shit, they're such base perverts. I'd rather watch some childrens cartoon that'll make me laugh than some weeb shit with nothing but fan service and generic fights

What's the top left one on the Jap side

2:15 of this video sums up the difference between American and Japanese animation

youtu.be/iMFMa8B4ovM

paprika

they don't make 'em like they used to.
Paprika

You'd have to really love drawing to do this shit.

Who knows, who cares?

That's not how you eat burgers. Besides, this kind of shit is just for filler. Why bother with plot when you can have 30 seconds of some girls eating hamburgers? In Western Animation, there is shit happening constantly. IN Anime it's filled with lots of still shots and filler to bulk out the time.

>whereas Japanese anime tends to focus on beauty within a single frame.

Her mouth doesn't even contort while she is eating. That is not how eating works

Unions made it too expensive

It doesn't matter anyway since they are both drawn by North Koreans

>some girls eating hamburgers?
>waste of time
wrong

Brace yourselves

I just told you she's autistic, she's trying to figure out how to eat it, so she's just fumbling around

I say, on the board Sup Forums.

Classic dumb weeb argument? Saying I hate weebshit because it's shit is still discussion of anime too, you fucking retard.

But I don't give a shit about that when I could just read doujins instead.

You really proved me wrong by providing a single example when I was talking about a general trend.
>inb4 you post another anime webm

Or whatever. Not specifically that. Anime has loads of bulk. .Hack//SIGN has loads of filler where it's just close ups of peoples faces grunting or gasping when they're thinking or come to a conclusion. When there is talking (which is 95% of the show) there is often just a still frame with barely perceptible lip movement. This happens in all anime.

That's a boy, isn't it?

It's to make it look "cute". Same reason why they don't bother drawing noses anymore.

i couldnt make out what it was at first

>mfw I saw it

I am in no way a weeb or anything so I'll ask here: Why is anime animated at such a low framerate?

No they don't because it's extra effort. All anime, even praised and famous stuff, has shit quality scenes.

Nip eyes can only see 20fps.

plebshit tier anime have very short development cycles

they dont have the time or manpower or money

its not by choice

Because asians can only draw tween frames.

Because they outsource all the in-between frames to people working for slave wages.

why the fuck would someone do that?

Powerpoint slideshows*

In the US animation is a genre (cartoon), not a medium.

Low budgets and relatively short production times. In the early days of anime, there were attempts at full animation in some features but limited animation was well-suited to the resource constraints of TV anime. It works well with good timing and spacing anyway so any animator worth their salt are able to create appealing motion regardless of how many drawings they use.

I don't get it, I mean it can't be that ba-
>I see it

FUCKING REE. I can already picture the square rim glasses and Game Grumps pin that cunt would be wearing.

>That's a boy, isn't it?
Nope

Because it is for kids. With animation, you can get away with a lot of ridiculous bs. Ridiculous proportions like bug eyes and big heads, silly physics.

You go use animation if you want to subvert reality.

Drawing is dead

I think that's 30k between all of them.

time and money basically movies get better treatment than TV obviously

these are literally cream of the crop western animation though, almost everyone abandoned animation in the west and went for the 3D meme, nobody has produced anywhere near golden age disney/Don Bluth-tier animation for at least 20 years.

>Raita
>boy (male)

start up your google, you are getting a wild ride tonight

>Time and money is the reason why weebshit is 20 fps

Has anyone told them about flash? (^:

OVAs have great animation

>animator's survival kit

was just about to post this, all modern """""""art"""""" that is produced without actual technical skill should be purged.

>ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Flash tweening looks like ass. Limited animation on the other hand can still look good with the right timing as posing of the drawings.

left: unique artstyle
right: same commercial artstyle seen in billion other anime

If only he could work a bit faster...
youtube.com/watch?v=2HR4Junqmzg

>barely visible pencil drawing
they're both crap desu ne

maybe paint over that shit and stop drawing on the walls like 5 year olds

>Fiction and Surrealism is only for kids

You are the reason why everything is wrong