What's the greatest film of all time?

I don't mean your personal, subjective favorite, I mean the one that's the perfect combination of popularity, critical acclaim, influence and lasting power.

You are still asking for a subjective opinion there. There is no objective way to measure "popularity, critical acclaim, influence, and lasting power" and there especially isn't a way to compartmentalize those things and turn them into a score to assign a film.

Yes, anyone who doesn't think Kane is the best of all time is a pleb.

Go to bed, Chris

citizen kane
the godfather part 1
dePalmas Scarface
The Exorcist

>the godfather part 1
>dePalmas Scarface
>The Exorcist
yeah? all four of the greatest films are american, and 3 made within 10 years of each other?

Jurassic Park
or
Titanic

>dePalmas Scarface

Vous ĂȘtes crĂ©dules, hands down

I unironically would agree with this. I saw it recently and it became not only one of my favourite films but one of the best films I've ever seen. Sometimes simplicity is all you need.

I think it might be It's a Wonderful Life

Yes

This guy gets it.

Citizen Kane is boring.

Sorry it wasnt diverse enough

Its not necessarily stupid because it's un-diverse. Its stupid because film as a medium is rather broad in range. Trying to say that a few popcorn flicks from one country and one decade are all the greatest films ever made comes off as extraordinarily ignorant

Look, it's difficult to say what the greatest film ever made is when there are so many groundbreaking films for so many different reasons. Obviously, the meme is to say Citizen Kane or Casablanca, which may be the case, and for good reason. But I can only really answer this with an example of ONE of the greatest films ever made and I think that film is: The Matrix. It's hard to cite a film that has had a more profound cultural influence on North America and filmmaking as a craft. From the art direction, to the aesthetic (cyber punk), to the terminology (the red pill, the Matrix), to the revolutionary special effects and action sequences. This film is an amalgamation of everything that makes movies "cool". It's sci-fi, it's action, it's kung-fu kino, it's dystopian but uplifting. It's filled with archetypes and themes that are still being analyzed today and even though it came out in the 90's, I feel like it becomes more and more relevant every day.

I don't know, I'm not really a "critic" I just think this is possibly one of the best movies ever made that will go down in history as possibly the most prophetic film ever conceived.

Also John Wick 2 is the best movie of the year hands down.

It's probably Persona.

Maybe Acossado, Satantango, 8 1/2 or even 2001.

Those are not my personal opinion, but I think they would fill OP's question requisites.

Terminator 2 > Citizen Kane.

What do you think would happen if a crappier version of T2 came out in the 1940s? What if they made Citizen Kane today. Everyone would still think T2 was a better movie.

I think it's certainly the most influential film of the new millenium. Disgusting as it is to admit it, Iron Man is probably up there in that category, too. I wish we could get back to non-derivative films.

I hate capeshit and I hate Marvel but you're right about Iron Man. That's some Library of Congress shit.

The Matrix

:)

>dismissing new hollywood as popcorn flicks
pleb confirmed