I'm trying to replace my doorknob but the latch that I am supposed to press with a flat screwdriver isn't budging...

I'm trying to replace my doorknob but the latch that I am supposed to press with a flat screwdriver isn't budging. Am I doing something wrong? It's an old yale doorknob.

Attached: IMG_20200112_213007.jpg (2976x2662, 1.5M)

Unscrew the screws behind the knob, to separate both sides first, then try again.

There isn't a screw on both sides. Here's the interior.

Attached: IMG_20200112_213829.jpg (2976x2836, 1.45M)

Break out the torch mate

Attached: 8v2vbdati4541.jpg (4032x3024, 1.31M)

Is there a set screw under the bottom of one side of the plates, where it meets the door itself? If not the plate may just pry off with some retainer clips underneath

Fuck, any other ideas that won't create a racket in this apartment?

If you have a metal shim, like one of those painting multi tools or thinner, try sliding it between the knob and the door? Maybe there’s a tension point that snaps in that you just can’t see.

Alright, I'll try to pry the plates off but I might stop at the slightest chance of it bending the entire thing

Honestly, if yo don’t give a shit about the knob, if all else fails just take a hacksaw to it when you can be a bit louder.

I had some issue with something like this. I removed the whole knob mechanism, removed the two screws on the inside (the side where the latchbolt touches the doorframe.) And from there, just took apart the knob piece by piece.

From there, I fucked it up beyond recognition, and had to buy a new doorknob. $14 later, good as new.

Attached: 1577338493148.jpg (573x480, 21K)

Yeah before you hack it off move to the side of the door and unscrew the little plate. There should be a gap where you can see the stuff passing through. Maybe there’s a screw in there holding both halves together.

I was able to pry off the interior and there were a set of screws in there. I might try to just break the plates at this rate. Never mind the grease on my fingers.

Attached: IMG_20200112_214929.jpg (2976x2443, 1.29M)

Can you tilt the plate and get access to the screws? Alternatively use some players and just bend the outer plate, should basically screw right off

I was able to get the screws off but the two sides are still stuck to each other. I'm not sure why. The dumb latch might be the only thing that's giving me a hard time.

Attached: IMG_20200112_221346.jpg (2976x2837, 1.62M)

That little hole right there on the side is to take the knob off. Then you'll be able to unscrew the screws under that plate.

It's pretty loose already but I can't take it out on either end fuck

Attached: IMG_20200112_221907.jpg (2976x2980, 1.72M)

I’m a locksmith you can take the knob off by pushing a small pin shaped object into a hole at the base of the knob then you can take the plate off, smash it good because it can be tricky to do it the right way.

Same fag here turn the key until the notch releases and you’ll be able to pull the knob off. You may need to turn the knob to find what you’re supposed to push within the hole.

Attached: 6F3F6BE3-7D43-4A39-BADE-95BBFA099F42.jpg (598x512, 26K)

The small pin shaped object is stuck, I've been trying to push it and it won't move which is why I'm having a hard time.

You need to turn the key. If you have a spade bit bash it all the way in, you’ll be able to break it, hit it with a hammer and a sharp object. You’ll be able to “crush” it. Remove the tool and test if the door knob can come off, if not, keep hitting it, the tool should push past this thing you’re hitting.

You dun goofed

Attached: modern-kitchen-sink-design-trends-3.jpg (336x450, 11K)

If you push something on the pin and turn the key all the way to the left or right you will feel it depress and then while holding it down pull off the knob.

When in doubt 8lb sledge should loosen it

Attached: 1578389422740.jpg (523x720, 198K)

One hit with a sledgehammer problem solved. Minimum noise too

Or vice grips, you can essentially place them over any door knob and use the leverage to rip the knob off, then you can just unlock the door with pliers.

dude! I have the exact same door knob that's been broken for a decade cos i cba to get it off the door. The latch inside sheared off so it doesn't close any more.

Always wondered how u are supposed to get them off.

I had a similar knob set.theys a small screw on the knob.it was made by fortress.never of heard but unpickable and couldnt get it off so got a new door.crisis avoided.try that

This or burn the building to the pavement.whatevers easier for you

Attached: 1574134176424.jpg (540x405, 32K)

Bruh it's stuck, I just realized but half of the notch is pulverised. This might be from the other guy who used to live here.

This.
You fucking broke it. You have to probably like take a nail that fits in that hole and hammer the door knob back together, then turn it until you see the tab, then drive a nail into the hole then pull it out with proper force cause it's all bent.

rip

I fucking hate everyone.

Welp, seems like I'll be sleeping tonight with a broken doorknob. Wish me luck niggers.

Attached: IMG_20200113_002452~01.jpg (3146x2971, 1.2M)