Daily Japanese Thread - DJT

Japanese language learning thread.

Read the Guide linked before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where do download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Previous thread: Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

やればできるさ!

Other urls found in this thread:

nihognodaybydayenglish.blogspot.be/2011_03_01_archive.html?m=1
collocation.hyogen.info/
youtube.com/watch?v=mpHuWWSolmc
youtube.com/watch?v=qag4ewos4TE
youtube.com/watch?v=0F9RHJfiR9I
youtube.com/watch?v=WSUGASFlypY
youtube.com/watch?v=gt5AqNiTj1E
youtube.com/watch?v=Woorod1gJ_w
youtube.com/watch?v=UzMamUEdlMI
youtube.com/watch?v=AQScuEKfxmY
youtube.com/watch?v=4iGzQ5jxAPw
youtube.com/watch?v=-zQWavER7to
aozora.gr.jp/cards/000035/files/2253_14908.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>やればできるさ!
やってもできない。

「ロ」じゃないよ

Are there any natives around? Can someone explain when ひらける (開ける) and あける (開ける), and ひらく (開く) and あく (開く) are supposed to be used?

I've been reading for several months now, but because my reading material doesn't have furigana, and because these words are practically always written in kanji, I have no idea which reading is being used when I encounter them, so I haven't been able to figure this out.

Are あける/あく the words for when something blocking the passage between one place and another is removed? And ひらける/ひらく just the generic words for when something which is closed is opened (e.g. a box)? That's what Japanese dictionaries seem to suggest, but I'm sure I've heard ひらく used to refer to doors before, which the dictionaries suggest should be covered by あく... Maybe I'm just remembering wrong.

Oh yeah, and はいる (入る) and いる (入る) also give me trouble.

ひらける = to become opened up
あける = to open (a door)
ひらく = to open up/to empty
あく = to be empty/open

はいる = to enter
いる = to come in/go in

These English approximates from J-E dictionaries don't really cut it for me. Those terms in English all mean basically the same thing.

"I opened a box of cereal", "I opened up a box of cereal".
"He entered the room", "He went in the room".

They're just different ways of expressing the exact same idea in English.

And? Japanese is a different language and the nuances are different.

I know, which is why using English approximates doesn't work in this case.

Not really...

"The cereal box became opened"
"I opened a cereal box"
"The cereal box opened up"
"The cereal box is open"

All different ideas ya dingus.

tried learning this, got down hiragana and katakana but stopped there
writing and reading this language is just asinine

i dont have that great of a memory to memorize all the kanji that is needed for normal day to day stuff, i struggle with K and H enough as it is

really sad because it goes extremely well with serbian, i can pronounce everything with no effort

:(

前号でお知らせしましたとおり, 次号は休載させていただきます
What does いただきます mean in this sentence?

You asked what the differences were since you don't understand the Japanese. I tried to express it but English lacks the nuance regarding these words. You'll either pick it up from context or do your best to find approximations - the work is yours to do.

nihognodaybydayenglish.blogspot.be/2011_03_01_archive.html?m=1

>but English lacks the nuance regarding these words
I know, which I why I sought an explanation of the differences from a native speaker of the specific situations when one word would be used over another.

>You'll either pick it up from context
It's impossible to pick it up from context when I can't see/hear which word is being used in my reading material. That's the problem.

so, it's safe to assume that every large red circle is a gaijin or spoofing right?

i'd legitimately be amazed that any pureblood resident would frequent this western shithole, let alone dwell in a thread with nothing but shitposting and miserable shit weebs

"The cereal box became opened up"
"I opened up a cereal box"
"The cereal box opened"
"The cereal box is opened up"

opened vs. opened up makes absolutely no difference to these sentences.

亡 + 心 = 忘

If you forget someone, they have died in your heart. Very beautiful.

させて頂く is just humble speak (謙譲語). Interpret it as する and you're good to go.

I get that it's frustrating but you need to pay attention to states of being, and not be so dismissive when someone is trying to help you.

>It's impossible to pick it up from context
No, it's not, if you read the sentence properly and the objects/characters at play. It's all reading comprehension.

Post 四字熟語 that are literally you. I'll start. 酔生夢死

Wouldn't kokoro mean mind in this example?

Yes, in most cultures, the heart is where the soul/emotion is, and sometimes even the consciousness/mind/thoughts

No?

Worth remembering that readings only apply in certain contexts. While the meaning of one of the individual radicals in the individual kanji is heart, and heart can be read as こころ, it doesn't apply in any way to 忘.

Readings - もう, ぼう, わすれる

I see. I thought kokoro usually refers to the mind when speaking figuratively.

Was looking around gelbooru to find things to translate for practice when I came across this little phrase
"きたかも”
What does it mean? it doesn't come up in any dictionarys. Results on google show some sort of pregnancy app.

いや、「ロ」であるよ。その書き方はもの凄く珍しくない
普通じゃないけど、時々見るから気にしなくて覚えた方がいい

ありがとう。助けられた

無意識お願い。

来た+かも[しれない]

Fuck off pedo

You CAN do it guys! You CAN learn Japanese! You just have to keep trying.

You [can] learn Japanese!

Find a different website, champ. Sup Forums is not for normalfags.

The fear of stopping and the realisation that I would have wasted literally hundreds of hours is more painful that the desire to continue.

おやすみなさい、みんな。明日もがんばって!

If not being attracted to 10 year olds makes you a normalfag, then most people on Sup Forums are normalfags. Not every board is Sup Forums

Sometimes I feel I'm 優游涵泳, but then it's seems more like 玩日愒歳.

日本では最近何の曲が流行り?
何の曲が特にいいと思う?

この頃、梨ういというボカロPに夢中になって最高だ思う。
他のバンドっぽい曲が聞きたいからおすすめをくれば感謝する

w-what if she's a 500 year old vampire?

No difference, I would my dick in both. Either sister.

>Not every board is Sup Forums
Well, newfriend, /djt/ is Sup Forums so there's that.

We're just awaiting the return to our homeland.

n-bunaは超好き。

で・き・な・い

できる!

できない!

You can't out-meme me you Muslim fuck. Stop being negative and go learn Japanese!

できない!

Stumbled across this and couldn't find it mentioned in the Guide. Worth bookmarking.
collocation.hyogen.info/
>処女の美しい純潔さで俺の心を牽きつけるだけで

>It's all reading comprehension
Holy shit you goddamned jizz stain, he fucking said that every time he read it, it was without furigana, therefore he can't know which of the two variants is being used in any given context. The only thing you had to tell him was to try reading stuff with furigana until he grasps the contextual difference between あく and ひらく.

This site is great, useful if you're writing and second guessing certain sentence structures, thanks.

What am I doing wrong

>save excel sheet as unicode
>open in notepad
>save as utf 8
>open anki
>creat deck
>import deck
>blah blah cards added blah blah unchanged

And then there's no cards in the deck

怨憎会苦

容姿端麗

梨うい?初めて聞いた。ちょっと面白い。
バンドっぽい曲はあまり知らないなあ
今はこんな感じかな ↓

「Panorama Panama Town」 / Rapture
youtube.com/watch?v=mpHuWWSolmc
「ともに」/ WANIMA
youtube.com/watch?v=qag4ewos4TE
『花の唄』/Aimer
youtube.com/watch?v=0F9RHJfiR9I
「オキノタユウ」 / 和楽器バンド
youtube.com/watch?v=WSUGASFlypY
「渡月橋 〜君 想ふ〜」/ 倉木麻衣
youtube.com/watch?v=gt5AqNiTj1E
「小さな恋のうた」 / MONGOL800
youtube.com/watch?v=Woorod1gJ_w
「やってみよう」/ WANIM
youtube.com/watch?v=UzMamUEdlMI
「おとなの掟」 / 椎名林檎
youtube.com/watch?v=AQScuEKfxmY
「みんながみんな英雄」 /AI
youtube.com/watch?v=4iGzQ5jxAPw
「海の声」 / 桐谷健太
youtube.com/watch?v=-zQWavER7to

WTF is this つとて verb?

伝わって

How come?

What do you mean "how come"?

How 伝わって came to be つとて?

つたわって→つとうて→つとて

>つとうて
Where did this come from?
Why is it absent from dictionaries?

because it's a word from kyoto dialect.

Why would つとうて be in a dictionary? lmao

Do you really not understand what slang is, Russia?

You are really fucking useless at explaining things.

How am I supposed to learn it then?

Plz no bully for being a dumb ass, but I was reading through the grammar guide and saw 勉強する
what is the purpose of adding する after, does it signify something specific with the verb and am I supposed to use this with all verbs or only some?

All kanji compounds are nouns by default.
So you have to make it look like noun+do

Not true, some kanji compounds are adjectival verbs.

Thank you based Vodkabro

It's an auxiliary verb that makes the verbal noun into a proper noun.

Somewhat similar along the lines of English: "X" -> "To do an X". So: "study" -> "to do study(ing)" = "to study"

In this connection I was wondering what's the point is adding さ to 謙遜 since it's already a noun?

It helps to think of さ as a suffix meaning "-ness", as in "polite-ness". It turns the noun from an abstract concept into something relatively more concrete.

Here, we're referencing the politeness of a specific person, so using the noun alone would be odd.

>think of さ as a suffix meaning "-ness", as in "polite-ness"
The problem is I learn such words already with -ness attached ^_^'
Besides, humility, modesty and humbleness are kinda one and the same thing to me.

>of a specific person
Is this the only case where さ is required for kanji pompoinds?

It's also worth noting that several references indicate that さ only attaches to the stems of adjectives, and of adjectival verbs.

In other words, it only attaches to true adjectives, like 赤い to give 赤さ, and 形容動詞. As for the latter, this means that if the compound cannot modify a noun with a な ending, as in your example: 謙遜な名詞, it cannot take さ.

Where さ is optional, it just changes the word from "politeness" as the abstract concept to "politeness" as found in a particular case.

So, in the case of 謙遜, my dictionary lists it as both a 名詞 and a 形容動詞, さ would be optional. But since we're talking about a *specific* instance of 謙遜, using さ would be better.

The sentence 失礼より謙遜 "Courtesy is better than discourtesy" just compares the abstract concepts to each other, so さis not necessary at all.

Thnks!

Why does Tae Kim guide teach informal Japanese first?

Why shouldn't it?

Given no 振り仮名 can one assume that 私 is to be read as わたくし and that if the writer meant for it to be あたし, わたし, etc., they would've written it in かな?
I'm reading aozora.gr.jp/cards/000035/files/2253_14908.html
Based on stuff like でございます and まし being used I feel like わたくし fits but maybe あたし, わたし, etc., also could work here.

There is no 100% way to determine. All you can do is examine the context, consider the writer and his likely intentions, then make your best guess. In other words, there is no "default" reading per se.

面倒くせえええええぇぇぇぇぇ
ありがとうございます。

Anons, help me out. I don't like Anki and I use a retarded method of learning kanji that works for me (I am ~novice/lower intermediate).

Basically, I go through a list of kanji and learn several every day. I write it down with 3-4 most used phrases/words, and I write down example sentences from Tatoeba project (I think; they show up in the mobile Aedict app) for each word. This allows me to learn some phrases, sentence structure, and most importantly, in what context those words can be used.

I wondered if there is a good resource for kanji learners which include at least a couple of sentences for each (not just words; those are common, for instance Genki Kanji book). Manually looking through the dictionary and then cherrypickikng sentences which seem to show common use is subject to heavy personal bias since I am not competent enough.

I know it's a retarded way of learning, but I find Anki/RtK to be a waste of time for me.

greeceはよく京都弁なんか知ってるな

よく京都弁なんか知ってるな

Oh, and I know about core2k/6k, those are great but are not systematic enough for kanji study.

just be yourself

Anyone know what 足袋ごし and つとて might mean?
I can kinda guess that it means "it's still cold even if you wear socks", but I can't find these anywhere. Google doesn't return anything either

Oh lol

こいつもいずれ特定するから。
ギリシャに行く時あったら気をつけて見といて。

Do you have any good resource to learn 京都弁 Greeceanon? I've been using kansaiben.com while reading this manga every week, but I've only mostly been using my gut instinct to guess which word is which

┐(´~`)┌
┐(´~`)┌
┐(´~`)┌

ぐぐったらこんなのがあったよ

■京都弁(あいさつ編)
Good day O・ha・yo・san / Mai・do(おはようさん/まいど)
Good night O・ya・su・mi・ya・su(おやすみやす)
Goodbye Sai・nara(さいなら)
How are you? Mo・ka・ri・ma・kka(もうかりまっか?)
Are you all right? Do・nai・shi・tan?(どないしたん?)
It's OK Bo・chi / Bo・chi・den・na(ぼち/ぼちでんな。)
What are you saying? Na・ni・yu・nen(なに言うねん?)
Really? Hon・ma・ni?(ほんまに?)
Where did you come from? Do・kka・ra・ki・tan?(どっからきたん?)
That's wrong Cha・u・cha・u(ちゃうちゃう)
Yes ii・de(いいで)
I think so So・ya・na(そやな)
Thank you (so much) (Mai・do) o・ki・ni((まいど) おおきに)
Thanks for your help Go・ku・ro・san(ごくろうさん)
Excuse me Sun・ma・sen(すんません)
I love you so much Me・ccha・su・ki・ya・nen(めっちゃ好きやねん)
Could you please say that again? M?・ippen・yuu・te ・ku・re・ru?(もういっぺん言ってくれる?)
I don't really understand Wa・ka・ra・hen(わからへん)
It's quite difficult Ya・ya・ko・shii・na(ややこしいな)

■京都弁(感情を表すとき)
That's cool! O・mo・ro・i・na!(おもろいな!)
Oh my god! E・rai・ko・cha!(えらいこっちゃ)
Greedy! Ga・me・tsu・i・na!(がめついな!)
So scary! Me・ccha・ko・wa・i・wa!(めっちゃ怖いわ!)
Not good! A・kan!(あかん!)
Congratulations! O・me・de・t?・san!(おめでとうさん!)
It's hot! A・tsu・i・de!(あついで!)

そんなんは知ってるけど, もっと体系的なもんとかなんとか欲しいです

[spoiler]I know I just wrote an abomination, please forgive me. [/spoiler]

Forgot image