Cathode ray tube

Is there a good reason to use a crt television besides guncon? Do you get a nostalgic feeling watching movies on tvs like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

cincinnati.craigslist.org/ele/6080981281.html
cincinnati.craigslist.org/ele/6070853246.html
flagstaff.craigslist.org/ele/6039842524.html
phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ele/6088304602.html
phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/6095758781.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's guaranteed not to spy on you

darker blacks nigger

Zero input latency. They had much better colors. They could probably achieve similar resolutions of modern LED tv's. At a minimum 1080p is achievable. Overall the world is worse off without them because normies jumped on the bandwagon of LCD TV's in the era where you still couldn't have motion through dark rooms without shitting up the screen with trails but everyone jumped on it and said, "wow look how beautiful it looks," similar to what happens when you see people observe modern art.

Still use one for my SNES and N64.

When my Switch comes in, you betta believe I'll be hitting RadioShack for a HDMI-RCA converter.

CRT displays have issues with pixels/scan lines blurring together.

On the rare occasion that I have to use a CRT monitor, one that's set to a fairly high resolution, I find it difficult to read small text on it, there's a blurry sort of double image effect that makes it an eyesore (which is never an issue on a modern LCD or LED)

Remember when channel and input changes were instantaneous? That was cool.

Well any CRT you have is old by now.

>switch
>on a CRT

why faggot

are you really this stupid

Maybe I'm just poor.

Maybe it's a decent TV.

Maybe I work full-time at a hospital.

Maybe I bought a Switch to take my mind off all the dead and dying patients.

Fuck you.

Well he's buying a switch so clearly

fucking this

Has to be in order to buy a handheld "console" that's only available from "resellers" at an inflated price due to artificial scarcity.

CRTs just look very good. You can talk all you want about contrast ratios and luminance units but at the end of the day a good CRT has that X factor that makes watching television on them enjoyable.

>At a minimum 1080p is achievable.

user, CRTs have done 1080p since the early 90s.

You guys are all high from 420 activities pining for how great CRTs were. Most of them sucked ass and had that dumb bubble screen that caught the reflection from every window & light in the room. and don't forget that high pitched whine that you learned to tune out.

>I find it difficult to read small text on it, there's a blurry sort of double image effect that makes it an eyesore (which is never an issue on a modern LCD or LED)

You are running your CRT in a range outside of its ability for the shadowmask or aperture grille to resolve all of the resolution, as well as seeing a ghosting effect from the cable you're using not being good enough. Try using a lower resolution and a proper RGBHV cable if you have access.

shut up, kid

>and don't forget that high pitched whine that you learned to tune out.
Stop believing Sup Forums memes. Only shit-tier late life Wal-mart televisions and CRTs beat-to-shit from 50 years of abuse have this. No one had to learn to tune out anything that grew up in the years that CRTs were the dominant form of televisions.

also

I grew up in the years CRTs were the dominant form of television. I literally don't even know what board Sup Forums is (or care).

If you love CRTs so much I'm sure it won't be hard to find one, in fact you can probably pick them up for free from people's houses who don't want them. That's how much they suck.

comfy

eat a dick with your muh poor life story blogpost you stupid double faggot

ok kid

actually I'm using one right now and it's absolutely fine. Flat and no whine.

Bet you won't find many Trinitrons for free.

>Bet you won't find many Trinitrons for free.

i agree with this but i got mine for free

That's because your display is old as fuck and some stabilizing circuitry deteriorates. I have CRT display from 1997 and its blurry as fuck, but 2005 one is much clearer despite bigger resolution - 1600 vs 1280

Nothing wrong at all with playing a Switch on a HDTV CRT. But you probably did not even know such things existed, did you, faggot?

>HDTV CRT
>he thinks this is somehow old
>doesn't realize it'll still look like dogshit compared to a proper modern display

checked but there's plenty wrong with it if there are viable alternatives, also the other faggot didn't mention HDTV CRT, so you can eat a dick too

It has nothing to do with age or "stabilizing circuitry". There's nothing wrong with his CRT at all. Even if a CRT will sync to 2048x1536 that does not mean you will get perfectly clear text at that resolution.

Most of your old workstation CRTs you don't want to go above 1600x1200 on them and that's if you are using RGBHV cable. If you are using a standard VGA cable stick to 1152x864 or 1024x768.

If you have a Sun workstation monitor you can also use Sun's proprietary cable to get a good result. These also have very good digital convergence in the menus.

If I buy a Switch do I really need to buy a TV too? Doesn't it have its own display? No other reason to own a TV really.

>doesn't realize it'll still look like dogshit compared to a proper modern display
You're full of shit

>buying Nintendo shit
Are you five?

ok kid

Near the end of the CRT's life, they had the technology to make 1080p flat screens that were made up of thousands of micro CRT's.

the cost of producing LCD and plasma was only a fraction so they stopped developing the CRT technology and went with the inferior ones.

Ok...

eat a dick with your "muh pc and sony is only acceptable gaming platforms" and "y dun u hev lcdtv" you unemployed teenage faggot

You can get a Trinitron for free pretty easily, or next to free like $20.

BUT

I would say you meant a PVM or BVM. And yes those are hard to come by.

Example: here is a 35" Trinitron for $20 (disregard the listing saying 40", it's actually 35")

cincinnati.craigslist.org/ele/6080981281.html

It only has S-video as the best input, but hey it's a Trinitron. It will still look really great. S-video is kind of underrated.

If you can find a good quality TV with component inputs you'll have something 99% as good as PVM anyway. And those are still out there in great numbers.

That's how technology usually works. Just look at D-VHS.

>heavy and will take 2 people to move it
Jesus I forgot just how heavy those things were. I can recall carrying a 19" alone and it was a pain.

most CRT's can be modified to accept RGB input.

I added a scart input to a 13" trinitron and all i needed was some wire, capacitors, resistors and the scart socket.

although i wouldnt suggest people mess with CRT's if they dont know what they are doing. Ive had 240v go through me. i cant even imagine how 30000v would feel

And here is a Sony WEGA Trinitron for $25. It is one of the SDTV models, so there is no digital video conversion some people have issues with.
cincinnati.craigslist.org/ele/6070853246.html

This should have component input, and if you are willing to spend a bit of time in the service menu dialing back the red push and turning off a few image enhancement features you can pretty well turn it into a PVM for your practical purposes.

Are you C-Wizzy?

Come on, you're probably young and have a roommate. It's worth it.

Sorry, not that guy, just commenting. I looked it up and people say that weighs like 150+ lbs. Damn.

Post your zip code and I'll tell you the best CRT you can get on craigslist.

I've got 2 CRTs, one for PC and emulated lightgun games, and a PVM for retro shit and console light gun games.

I love them both, and I'll be deeply sad when they die.

You do realize you can repair CRTs pretty easy right?

CRT is the only way to play retro games. Playing 2D games on a TV without scanlines is like playing a PC game without anti-aliasing. It just looks like shit.

Sure, if it's some basic cap work. What the fuck am I going to do when there's a REAL issue?

Thus the significance of saying "at a minimum."

Like what? You can replace any part if one fails if you want to.

There is a lot of circuitry inside the fancier CRTs like the NEC XM series that I am going to assume have ROM chips on-board that have data you can't replace if it fails.

Never assume anything. Regardless, it feels nice to have an 80s Magnavox turdbox.

Old thread on Sup Forums says the AM4201R is the largest CRT manufactured commercially. 42*, almost 300 lbs.

Right, what am I going to replace half of them with? New old stock from a repair store that died 20 years ago?

That information is now outdated. The CRT thread at shmups has information on a 50" CRT made in Japan. I'm looking for the post now.

sometimes I get nostalgic and hook up my old CRT to watch some old 4x3 tv or childhood vidya but ever since I got used to hd I notice the ringing all crts make and it gives me a headache

Yeah they mentioned that, they did do a small commercial run but apparently they had trouble with the tubes blowing, and also not much demand due to the weight so they didn't make very many.

Here it is. It was 45". Sony KX-45ED1

>DIGITAL FRAME MEMORY
what da hell is that

I had a 300lb 27" floor model CRT in my room back in the early 90's.

My 47" weighs about 14lb.

Regardless of anything else that alone makes the LED a better choice.

Dude my dad had a big ass CRT that I remember helping him carry when he moved. To this day that's one of the heaviest pieces of furniture I've encountered.

I have seen one of these in action and owned the "little brother" of the unit, the AM3501R.

One thing you don't expect when you first get these CRTs: they have cooling fans. Loud fans.

But the picture is absolutely incredible. Do not let those "small CRTs look better" guys fool you. The best gaming experience of my life was playing arcade games on the 3501R from about 3 feet away.

OLED is better than both.

CTR TVs can't compare to the newest LED tv's.

True black is pretty nice desu.

>>Regardless of anything else that alone makes the LED a better choice.
Yes, because as everyone knows, screens are constantly moved around, so weight is a vital issue. I replaced my fridge with a bag of ice, it used to weigh 400 pounds, now it only weighs 2!

I also traded my house, which weighed literally tons, with a cardboard box that only weighs 500 grams. I think I got the better end of THAT deal!

Yeah... true

20" is really the minimum, and that's only if you're sitting pretty close.

If I had crazy money, I'd totally pick up one of those 40 inchers just to play Time Crisis.

With the exceptiom of 4k, LED tvs are just catching up with what high end crts were doing over a decade ago.

The only worthy successor is SED but that was killed by jews in patent court ages ago.

Okay, you have some interesting listings. First there is this one

flagstaff.craigslist.org/ele/6039842524.html
"Sony Trinitron PVM-1271Q Ultra-Fine-Pitch Studio Monitor"

This is a 12" Sony Trinitron with RGB inputs. These are extremely cute! And very easy to transport. See the seller will sell it to you by itself for $50. This is the perfect CRT to get into the RGB hobby with.

Then there is this Sony KV-36XBR800 for $25. This is a steal
phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ele/6088304602.html

This should have the Super Fine Pitch CRT tube which means it will give a true 1080i image (later Wega televisions only had 900 lines). With a 36" screen and a 4:3 aspect ratio this is a HUGE CRT, only eclipsed by the 40" model in the same line and a couple of other exotic units mentioned in this thread. This television will be absolutely stunning to look at. Don't worry about the 4:3 aspect ratio too much. Take advantage of it. Watch shows which have been released in HD on blu-ray like Star Trek: The Next Generation that still have a 4:3 ratio. This TV is perfect for that.

And there is also this listing:
phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/6095758781.html

Send a message to the seller and ask them to examine the television and see if the words "Super Fine Pitch" are to be found on either of the units. If it is then you have found a 36XBR960 or a 36XS955. Both of these are 36" widescreen HDTVs with the same sought-after tube that gives true 1080i quality. These are some of the best televisions ever released.

research your model numbers, some of the end of life CRTs go through a digital processor that fucks the picture scaleing.

better pic of the 1271Q

>some of the end of life CRTs go through a digital processor that fucks the picture scaleing.

That would matter if we were on /vr/, but luckily we are not.

Actually... it wouldn't even matter there. The "scaleing" does not "fucks the picture" if you understand it.

1. It doesn't scale 1080i images at all.

Well, there's not really a 2 to this list since you should only ever send it 1080i. If you want to play old games on a HDTV CRT you will want to send it a prepared 1080i image from your PC, with the appropriate shades selected in Retroarch. Once you do so the result should be extraordinarily good.

>interlaced
>good
Pick none.

This is where you revealed you don't know anything about CRTs.

1080i@60hz is equivalent to 1080p 30fps. The only downside is the occasional combing artifact, but in my experience this is vastly overblown and I'd gladly trade a few of them to have all the other things I like about a CRT image. I played Street Fighter IV in 1080i and I never noticed any difference at all from playing on 1080p monitors. Very little lag too, even going through the digital signal processor.

I used to that that 35 inch Sony TV. Once upon time I moved with in same fucking block, it wasn't the usual from apartment to van or trailer and same other end. It couldn't be balanced on pic related, so we had to carry it about 100m or so, it was pretty awful.

not just crt but there's something about 4:3 that is so much more comfy than 16:9

>beta
indeed

Please remember to contribute to rekt/gore threads

I live near a college and have a side job selling CRTs I buy off of ebay and goodwill to Smashbros/fighting game faggots.

Dumb fuckers are willing to pay 75-200 per based on the screen size

i just want one of those sony PVM rgb tv's to play PS1 games on it

>it doesnt fuck with the scaling
>as long as you only send it 1080i

Are you being retarded on purpose or what. CRT's without DPPU's will scale anything up to 1080i just fine with little artifacting. Having to prepare the image through external means would indicate that the TV is incapable of doing it properly by itself.

People pining for the old days of large screen CRT's have never had to move one. Had to get 2 friends and made sure one of them had an SUV or large truck.

I miss my old school gun games, tho.

i wonder how a CRT tv with a resolution of 4k would look with a 4k film playing on it.
pretty tits i reckon.