If i watch almost every "GOOD " scifi Tvshows will i get anything out of Star trek...

If i watch almost every "GOOD " scifi Tvshows will i get anything out of Star trek ? want to watch it but feeling like the things people found good about it when it aired has been overdone / done better

Will i get anything new from it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/oS5-P8wcwkg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what if we combined this with andromeda ?

TOS flip-flops between classic Sci-Fi and dangerously cheesy and it's certainly worth a watch. Just don't try to power through; watch it as the mood strikes you.

its better to watch star trek generations with picard. you will get into it. then watch deep space nine. then voyager. then the one with the captain archer, star trek enterprise. THEN watch the original star trek

I started season 1 a few days ago and every episode so far is "person or creature with super powers attacks the Enterprise". It's getting a little dull.

You'll never know unless you try.

Be sure to watch it in production order (starts with good episodes) instead of airdate order (starts with bad episodes).

Jesus christ faggot know when to stop.

>pointless RLM reference

I was in the same position as you OP but I decided to watch it anyway and it is worth it. Although many of the plots have been done better by other series, for many of them the original idea came from star trek so it's really interesting to see what sparked much of the whole genre.

It's also worth watching for the characters and actors. It's comfy and charming.

If you want something easier to get into the watch next generation. I watched about 15 episodes of TNG before switching to TOS and I intend to continue with TNG once I'm done.

There's some great episodes, the comedy ones for the most part. A lot of boring episodes too. I marathoned tos over a week and I'm pretty sure I'll never watch it again, 6/10 series.

Yes TNG has the added benefit of being slightly more character driven than TOS which while still great in its own right is more like the Twilight Zone in space, using the enterprise to explore plot twisty concepts

It's pretty influential, lots of episodes you will go
>this seems familiar.

Just watch it and see for yourself, if you have free time to post on Sup Forums then your time is not that valuable.

>"make certain this Chekov arrives at 2200"

Sure, it'll be interesting to see where many of those things originated from. It's pretty cheesy though.

The first season of TNG is pretty lackluster though.

Also the filename is not a joke. That's seriously how the episode goes

worth watching for the women in those little jumpers

I was mad about this yesterday but now I'm on board. Let's combine them.

>not getting with the new trek meemee

Anyone have a mega or torrent for Undiscovered Country: Director's Cut? I've looked fucking everywhere.

Does the Director's Cut elevate the film from the ham-fisted camp-fest it was originally?

i'm watching all of TOS for the first time myself. season 1 is mostly great, s2 still has some great episodes but i've noticed a massive deterioration. there's suddenly TONS of planets that are just ancient earth cultures (usually without a good reason), and it just kills me. "where noone has gone before" my ass, it seems like they just wrote the episodes around whatever western or other period set they had at their disposal at paramount at the time so they didn't have to spend any money

And now you know why TOS isn't canon, and why Roddenberry wanted TNG to overwrite everything.

Standing next to Kirk on the left.

It's Lwaxana Troi/Computer voice herself.

That's exactly what a planet run by blacks would be like. Only instead of castles they would live in mud-huts and have AIDS in SPACE!

>me on the left

>The first season of TNG is pretty lackluster though.

I think the problem with the first season wad that they were trying to hard to make TNG like the TOS.

By the end of the first season I think that TNG finds its own voice and becomes it's own series without trying to ape TOS.

TOS hasn't really been overdone or done better by anyone because it was really out there in its subject matter. That is why TNG and the rest are so vastly different than TOS. Nothing really touches on the moral subject likes TOS does on a regular basis.

The only thing that is similar is actually "Star Trek Continues" because it is made by a tyrannical autist who demands it be exactly like TOS down to every last detail and word spoken.

So autistic in fact that Roddenberry's estate considers it the only """true""" successor to TOS

It is pretty spot on.

I will admit, I always skip over 90% of season 1 and 50% of season 2 of TNG since some of the epsiodes are just horrid.

It amazing it is the same show when watching Season 3-6

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I actually prefer Dr. Pulaski over Dr. Crusher. Yes her relationship with Data is a blatant rehash of Bone's relationship with Spock, but it was still fun to watch and they still had good chemistry together, which is more than I can say for the bland as all hell Dr. Crusher.

hey i've just watched the first episodes of TNG after some weeks of musing on what to watch and whether to watch it and i pretty thoroughly enjoyed it
maybe something to keep me happy with sci-fi while star wars 8 blows away

>If i watch almost every "GOOD " scifi Tvshows will i get anything out of Star trek ? want to watch it but feeling like the things people found good about it when it aired has been overdone / done better

>Will i get anything new from it

If you like space opera series and you've pretty much already watched every other major space opera series (Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, Andromeda, etc.) then get started on one of the biggest and oldest space opera series: Star Trek.

I like to think that every space opera series has its own thing going for it. Think of it like this: Stargate is set in the present, Battlestar Galactica is set in the past, and Star Trek is set in the future.

You will realize how much has stolen plot ideas or characters from it.

Season 2 is pretty solid though

Have you watched the original film series?

"I'm your school ma'am" Pulanski vs "The drapes match the curtains" Crusher... I want to argue with you but I have to opine they both have their merits.

This. I would also recommend looking up the highly rated, iconic episodes and jumping around to those.

Probably because Roddenberry was an obnoxious faggot who kept suing everyone left right and center over "muh one true artistic vision", needlessly rewriting every single episode and firing all the original production staff (which he tearfully regretted not long after) all while Maizlish, his personal Grima Wormtongue, was pulling the strings.

Anybody?

>it seems like they just wrote the episodes around whatever western or other period set they had at their disposal at paramount at the time so they didn't have to spend any money

That's exactly what happened, TOS was produced on a shoestring budget

And in later seasons, they had even less money, which is why so many episodes never leave the ship, because they couldn't afford to film on location

I'm as far as The Corbomite Maneuver. Enjoying it more than I thought I would. Thought I was going to drop it after the second 'kirk has a double' episode but it saved itself by not doing the 'shoot him! I'm the real one!' bit.

There's yet another "kirk has a double" episode later down the line where they actually do that bit. Though to be fair TOS technically started it, so it wasn't cliche at the time.

TOS was sort of a monster-of-the-week show. It didn't do the ongoing plot thread thing like TNG and DS9. I don't think any episode had a sequel.

Basically if you try and binge-watch TOS it's going to feel dull and repetitive. It's not meant for that.

youtu.be/oS5-P8wcwkg

Oh for fuck's sake.

it's actually a really good movie

so great

You're still on season one, right? What's the second 'kirk has a double' episode?

I find TOS a lot more tolerable if you watch in stardate order. There's a much better quality ratio if you do that.