Why did Mike like TFA but dislike Rogue One?

Why did Mike like TFA but dislike Rogue One?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wxL8bVJhXCM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is time to outgrow Pleb Letter Media, OP.

*unsheathes katana*
heh.......you wanna say that again kiddo?

His argument, as I recall was

TFA, while using recycled cliches, still felt like Star Wars.

Rogue One, while a good movie, didn't feel like a Star Wars movie, additionally, they felt that either there was too much left on the editing room floor, OR, they hamfisted some actors, like Forrest Wittacker into the script to draw audiences and Star Wars aside, it felt convoluted.

Because he likes Star Wars movies but wasn't interested in the "gritty" version of one?

I liked Rogue One a fair amount, but I can't really argue about the complaint that it felt like it was made for 40 year old manchildren who jerk off to the lore more then the actual story and want the "dark and serious" version of Star Wars. It feels like it was adapted from one of the middle-era Kevin J Anderson EU novels that everyone forgot about.

Probably for the reasons stated in the videos.

Mike likes movies that are familiar to him and take no chances.

Actually he said all the characters in rouge one were one dimensional

RLM was good like...5 years ago.
Is time to stop and to recognise that if one remains at their level, would get accustomed to a very limited scope of movies.
Very limited even for its own genre.

>It feels like it was adapted from one of the middle-era Kevin J Anderson EU novels
Its not nearly stupid enough for KJA.
It felt like the better end of the EU to me. But im still salty it wasnt a rogue squadron movie. Is top gun in space too much to ask?

mike bought into the ep7 hype

i think deep down he hates it but doesn't want to look like an idiot for changing his opinion. pretty much everything he doesn't like about rogue one can be applied to ep7

They also filmed the ep right after a late night screening. You always need to sleep on a movie.

>Its not nearly stupid enough for KJA.

That's fair, there's no Death Star knock-off or awful OC donut steel self-insert characters.

I really think a part of the reason I was totally fine with Rey being OP is having read KJA and his Admiral Daala and Kyp Durron wank. After that, Rey is a walk in the park.

> But im still salty it wasnt a rogue squadron movie. Is top gun in space too much to ask?

Give it time, after this Han Solo movie and the inevitable Obi-Wan film they're going to have to dig deeper into SW lore for spin-off movies.

>pretty much everything he doesn't like about rogue one can be applied to ep7

People keep saying this and never backing it up.

Because he has reasonable taste

TFA gets too much shit on here and RO is utter trash

Hi Mike how are you?

Like they said, RO is a really well mad fan fick movie.

Side note, remember when Web 1.0 was filled with Star Wars fan films? George Lucas in Love etc? Those days are never coming back.

it makes sense. TFA is at least moving the story forward, even if it was way too derivative (he did criticize the death star). Rogue One serves no purpose except to squeeze some more money out of the iconic imagery of the OT

>DUDE RED LETTER MEDIA

Because Disney paid them for a good review.

Did Disney pay them to rip apart Rogue One?

This

A false flag to get their paid shilling to be more believable.

>being this retarded

Because Mike is a manchild.

He like TFA which heavily emulated the OT, but disliked Rogue One because, although being based in the OT timeline, kind of did its own thing.

I think this is honestly what went down.

Because one is a solid albeit flawed movie, and the other is mediocre

Their reasons for disliking RO were a bit disingenuous and hypocritical.

>liked that they tried something new with RO, but also bashed the movie for not being Star Wars enough
>complain about shoving in too much Star Wars in a Star Wars movie, yet had no problem when TFA did this much more so and more blatantly
>they think it's bad that the film doesn't play to a general audience, kids specifically, even though they often criticized the prequels for being too whacky and made for kids
>disliked the quips, but then go on to say the movie needed more humour
>Jay raves on about the action sequences in the third act, but then says how it's a cheap excuse for fan service
>complain about Jyn's backstory, or lack thereof, even though obviously we see a lot of it in the film, but on the other hand they say nothing about TFA and all the missing details about Rey
>love how generic and formulaic the MCU movies are but hate it when Star Wars tries it

Also, one thing that kind of irks me is how they constantly complain about the lack of good characters in the film, and how they are not well established, when it's obvious a lot of the details seemed to just fly over them.
Like with Whitaker's character. I think Jay says at one point it doesn't make sense for his character to stay behind, that he's not too old to move, even though it's well established that his character has seen many battles, and is basically on life support and too tired of running.
Or like how there was no drama behind Felicity Jones' character though there are several moments where they go into the death of the mother, and her abandonment.
I mean, they also talk about how uninteresting Diego Luna's character is, though there was far much more revealed in this film about that character than there was about Han Solo in A New Hope.

All in all it just seems like they set themselves on not liking the film and were pulling any excuse they could think of.

Yep it's all a big conspiracy. Couldn't be that they just thought it was a boring movie with weak characters.

>everyone raves over RLM
>check it out
>think they are funny
>months pass
>they have the same schtick of appearing half ass to be funny
>got old
>they still do it
Are they contracted by Disney or something? Why do they feel the need to keep the "we really don't like it but let's act like we are under contract to say the opposite" act? It got old quickly.

>calling someone a hypocrite is implying big conspiracy
???

>People keep saying this and never backing it up.
I think what people mean with this is that they complain about the references to iconic Star Wars things in RO even though those things would logically be there (AT-ST, stormtroopers, etc.), meanwhile TFA has those iconic Star Wars things but they didn't need to be there decades after the Empire fell and RLM just ignores that.

>Calls RO a star wars re-hash and fan made movie
Apart from the 3rd act, it didn't even feel like a star wars movie and for this I appreciate it more than TFA

Mike literally begged Disney to not only take over Star Wars but to use JJ. A big corp seemingly did it their way. First time in history. So they went with it. For good or ill. But, that was the only time they were giving them a pass.

did you intentionally write a 300+ word post where every single point is wrong? is this an troll post?

Disney's check bounced for Rogue 1 but not TFA

Did you think the Nerd Crew was being ironic? No they're serious they'll shill for anything if you pay them.

I know most of you wrote off Mike's two Plinkett Rogue One videos as 'LOL butthurt over our awesome refutations', but his "Mr. Plinkett Talks About Rogue One" breaks down his distinction between TFA & RO pretty well. If you can't follow what he's saying in this video, you're hopeless.

He said the Characters in Rogue One was more interesting. Great. Now, He had a problem with Episode One, so I'd like for Mike to tell us, Comparatively, How was TFA better than TPM.

Scene for Scene, Plot hole for plot hole, What sucked for him in TPM but worked in TFA. Because if you can compare the two, TPM holds up better than that Garbage, TFA.

>you're hopeless.

Because Mike's a retard with no taste

>kind of did its own thing.
>it had an unhappy ending so it's totes original XD

nah it was the same old shit

You know why, Mike. Now stop advertising yourself.

No seriously, Let's compare plot points, character motivations, all of it, point for point, image for image, scene for scene. The two of them, TPM vs TFA.

/thread

>Let's compare...
You start.

ITT: autists on Sup Forums can't process the concept of a movie having "heart."

I believe this

>RLM was good like...5 years ago.

Opening scene, TPM, Jedi on their way to settle a trade dispute between Naboo and the Trade Federation.

Mike made a lot of fun of this, even went as far as spending fifteen minutes going on about how silly all of it was.

Shit Awakens, Guy arrives on a planet for a map, to Luke. Guy is given Map by another guy because well, Luke, who didn't want to be found, Happens to leave the map with this guy but it's only part of the map. Kylo Ren comes, he kills everyone including the Guy who had the map, even the villagers who lived with the guy who had the map. Then burns the village down, including the ship, the rebels, I mean seperatist came in on. In a better scene, in an infinitely better film, Vader tells his troops to take the ship apart, they capture people for interrogation. Then Poe's captured because apparently Kylo could read minds. But why didn't he read the mind of the guy who the map belonged to . Why kill the villagers. What if the guy who had the map, who he just killed, gave the real map to one of the many villages. How would Kylo have known he didn't do that?

Doesn't it make more sense to Mind Read EVERYONE first?

So Mike spends fifteen minutes on why the trade dispute and the Jedi who go there is kinda dumb and of how it all makes no sense, but he's okay with that entire, who has the map debacle?

The concept of "heart" is nothing more than a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. Forget about "heart" Morty, focus on science

Kylo knew Poe was the last person who had the map. He took him prisoner to find what he did with it. Everyone else in the village was irrelevant and expendable.

Are you dim?

I cant name a single fucking character from Rogue One, even during the movie I just said "blind asshole" and shit.

I can remember TFA, only seen it once back when it was in theaters. Rey or Rai, Kylo, Pol, and Jackie Chan.

How did he know he got the real map, what if it was a dummy copy. What if it malfunctioned. It was shit writing. Here's why he killed everyone, because JJ and Kennedy and Disney wanted to establish him as the bad guy. As if all that Black wasn't BAD GUY HERE enough, Let's have him kill a bunch of people. What if Poe hid the map on his ship. What if he asked one fo the villagers to hold the map for him. What if he hid the map with some one and said, if something happens to me, protect this with your life.

He just kills everyone and blows up everything so we could go, OH MY THAT'S Most ASSUREDLY, the BAD GUY! If you didn't know before, After he killed a bunch of people for no reason, and blew up all their stuff, I'm sure you know whose the bad guy now.

Another thing. He stops a blaster Bolt in mid air. Yet he loses to Rey, a NO ONE who should have never even managed to vibrate an object with the force, less use force telepathy. But we're going through this mess of a movie frame by frame. I hate this movie though. Even recalling it makes me ill.

i'm SHOCKED that a prequel fan would have a problem with crystal clear character motivations and actions.

>stops a blaster Bolt in mid air. Yet he loses to Rey
Not too surprising considering he's mortally wounded on top of having no emotional self-control. Did you even watch the movie, dumb ass?

yes, Because when you pick up a basketball, you're immediately drafted to the NBA, getting a number one draft pick. And here's the thing, you never knew the NBA existed at all until five minutes ago. that's how dumb, Rey is. She's a broken, Horribly Broken, Protagonist.

She quite literally, Hears about the Force and within that day, She's more powerful than Kylo, A force master. When in fact, she had no Business accessing the force AT ALL. Disney, JJ and Kennedy, Cheapened the idea of what the Force was, Forever. Star Wars died the moment George Sold it to the white slavers.

And Character Motivations? Finn wants Out, Poe wants him to stay, forty minutes later they're friends. Old Friends. Finn decides to side with Rey when five minutes ago he was prepared to Run away. he's killing people he grew up with. So why is Rey trusting him, he could just as easily turn on her like how he turned on his former colleagues. Han carries the droid that has a map to Luke when he went to meet with the Pirates just so one of the pirates could go, "There's the Droid they're offering a reward for."

Monsters kill bad guys, but takes its time when it grabs Finn.

Yeah.

>When in fact, she had no Business accessing the force AT ALL
why

Having heart is never giving up, and it's a combat sport term

fuck off

They made the TFA review right after they left the theater.
Big mistake.

They took their time with Rouge One.
And the review is more objective.

It's also a movie term you Sup Forums reject

Before you late comers became fans of The Force Awakens. There's something called Being Taught. YODA taught Luke how to access the Force, after he did that, Luke became more proficient in his natural abilities. At no time was Luke able to do anything else other than, jumping flipping and not hitting himself with his own saber.
George Lucas compared those who uses the force as Taichi masters or kung fu masters. You have to first be taught and then you have to both Practice and practice. Remember that thing with Qui gon. if the force was so readily available to novices, then Qui Gon would have told Anakin, "Annie, tap your heal three times and you could do magic."

No, he said the Council doesn't want me to train you, But I want you to watch me and be Mindful. In other words, Learn through Observation. Obi Wan spent years training Anakin and even with all that, Anakin still lost to Dooku as did Obi Wan.

Rey's a broken mary sue. Nothing you say can defend her.

because he was paid by disney

Who knows, why did he like arrival more than interstellar?

Because Interstellar was shit and Arrival was good?

You have a lot of preconceived notions about the Jedi and the Force, user -- just like Luke did when he landed on Dagobah. Unlearn what you have learned.

You've got it backwards arrival was awful and interstellar was above average to good

>mfw Rich mentioned our boy platza getting conned into going to Milwaukee for an audition
How deep does the rabbit hole go?

No, you need to stop defending garbage. It's shit writing. Admit it. They ruined not only the force but literally Undid all the gains the Characters had by the end of the OT. Disney, jj and kennedy pissed on the classic troupe in order to bolster their horrible protagonist, maRey sue.

Fucking McNulty

Mike is a simpleton. He just wants to be pandered to for an hour and a half. He's incapable of deeper thoughts, which is why all of his critiques are nitpicks.

He wanted R1 to be a wacky, Marvelesque heist movie full of quips. He can't process the idea of a Star WARS movie.

No.

>He's incapable of deeper thoughts
Watch out, the snyderlards are here.

>They ruined [..] the force
For people who think it's about force speed and power levels. And that's a good thing. Also the entire point of TFA.

It's not about power levels, or any of that nonsense. It's about touching something DIVINE. Feeling, and then touching it and then reinforcing the connection through meditation and proficiency. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot. You know what the Prequels had, and the OT had. Patient meditation. Lots of meditating. i hate the force awakens, and i despise it's defenders.

>You know what the Prequels had
Yeah, midichlorians. There goes your mongoloid rant about "DIVINE" and muh feelings.
You're too stupid to handle a keyboard, stop trying.

>It's not about power levels, or any of that nonsense.
That's my point.
>Feeling, and then touching it
Yep, which is exactly how Rey tapped into it twice in the movie. By clearing her mind and believing in herself. Just like Luke did to target the Death Star with 20 minutes of training by Obi Wan on the Millennium Falcon.
>what the Prequels had
Yes, totally not about midichlorian power levels and goofball super powers

You mean the means by which Living things uses to connect to the divine? Midichlorians are just modems and routers user. You understand the concept of modems and routers yes.

Why do idiots constantly embarrass themselves with, Luke Pulling the trigger? Luke used Prescience, Which is a TIMER, and the only power it gives you is the ability To TIME Correctly to either do something or to Avoid Calamity. You know Prescience Right? It's what the droid training is for, you wear the blaster shield and allow the force to tell you when to BLOCK an attack without seeing it with your Eyes. It's literally the only ability Anakin managed to use on his own. remember Anakin, The kid who used Prescience to avoid calamity and even with said ability had WRECKED Several pods up to the events of TPM, remember him right? Younglings used Prescience too, Remember in episode two when Yoda was training them and they had their blast shields closed and were like, deflecting shots even though they couldn't see it.

OR DID YOU THINK, the rebels created missiles that were homing missiles and then built, a targeting computer to Time PERFECTLY when to pull the trigger to send the HOMING MISSILES into the chute that would HOME IN on its target once inside the chute and destroy it, did you think the rebels did NONE OF THAT and opted to wait for the day that by chance a Jedi or a face user would come along and telekinetically put the bombs into the chute and like, telekinetically control the bombs all the way to its target which was several hundred yards within the death star even after it made it through the chutes.

YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK!

>they go to literal training classes with Yoda, with the little laser remote thing from Star Wars, with little kid sabers and little Jedi outfits.
>this is a better depiction of getting in touch with the Force than the epiphany of belief Rey has during her fight with Kylo.

Because it was considerably better than Rogue One.

Exactly. Prescience. The ability Anakin had managed which aided him in superhuman reflexes, which aided him in avoiding Calamity. The same power Luke used in ANH when he used in To Time when To Pull the Trigger instead of using the much Slower reaction the targeting computer offered. Prescience is how Obi Wan defeated the dreaded Grievous. He simply Used Prescience which aided him in timing when to block Grievous' spinning blades.

Stop trying to get (You)'s so much, you faggot.

Show me where I said he used telekinesis to guide the torpedo into the exhaust port, dipshit. The point is that the core of using the force is belief and not retarded reductionist EU shit like Force Prescience superpower BS.

literal autism

If belief was the core of using the force then any old looney in an asylum could just force blast or whatever his way out. Or alternately you could make brainwashed super soldiers that can use the force.

>I hated TFA because Rey didn't use Force Block correctly (as defined by the great Marc S. Wuggenheim in Jedi Academy 5: Assignment Miomo Beach [1996]).

Belief had nothing to do with Prescience, it never has. You have to be taught, as the younglings here were taught or use it enough in order to get good at it, Like Anakin did. Luke was taught how to use it by Obi Wan. That brief introduction was enough for him to be able to sense it and then trust it when pulling the trigger on Time. Anakin wrecked several pods until he got good enough to finally win a race. At the end, he's taken to battle via remote and uses Prescience in a fighter whose controls he himself says was not unlike his own pod's controls, and he avoided calamity.

BUT, If Rey Only used Prescience That would be fine. SHE however uses MASTER LEVEL ABILITIES and this is unforgivable. Star Wars died the moment George Sold it.

And what of it? TFA is garbge, and it won't stop being garbge because of muh feelings. So feel for it all you want.

I'm out, good night.

Daily reminder that this fanservice was better than all of TFA

youtube.com/watch?v=wxL8bVJhXCM

>Rogue One, while a good movie

He's never said it was good

>Belief had nothing to do with Prescience
Your EU shit is not canon, and wasn't even canon before Disney bought Lucasfilm.

Before I go I must confess, that this very scene was infinitely better than TFA's best and the rest and all of it. TFA was a stinking mess. Bye.

EU shit? Nigga who said anything about EU? This is literally from the films themselves. Are you stupid? You must be stupid hi, or trolling. In any event, good bye.

cuz he is based

>This is literally from the films themselves
This isn't
>You have to be taught, as the younglings here were taught or use it enough in order to get good at it

You're entire point is that you claim that you cannot access certain Jedi abilities without training, and Rey doing so ruins the Force.

My point is that there were no such limits put on the Force before the EU and Prequels and that TFA is a return to that more spiritual aspect.

>In any event, good bye.
only losers abandon threads.

>You're
Your.

>Luke was taught how to use it by Obi Wan
all of the training methods seen in the original trilogy were a means to an end and not obi wan and yoda teaching specific abilities

I think it's this Or Disney actually paid them to shill, which is pretty believable, since Disney has a long reach and probably paid a bunch of YouTube reviewers to give a good review, including the very cynical RLM.

>Disney ruined Star Wars, a series I barely understand!

TFA had a bit of a honeymoon period where everyone was just happy it wasn't as boring or as poorly written and shot as the prequels. RLM will probably be much harsher on the next movie if it doesn't take enough risks or if that A FUCKING FORCE TREE business is as dumb as it sounds.

>>A FUCKING FORCE TREE
>to autistic to get metaphors