Why do the places in red have NHL teams while the places in green don't?

Why do the places in red have NHL teams while the places in green don't?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B4uJF9l-Qxo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>milwaukee

We got cucked out of a team a while ago by the owner of the bradley center. Shame too. The two closest teams to this miserable state are miserable teams.

I'll use Cleveland as an example. Once the Raiders move out of Oakland Cleveland will be the smallest metro area with 3 teams. It can't add a fourth with a declining population. Basically every city with an nba and nhl team is at least double Cleveland's size.

It's probably the exact story with killwaukee. If you have both an nhl and nba team you need to put 20000 passes in seats 2-3 times a week half of the year

>Quebec City

The only real explanation left is that, somehow, for some reason, Gary Bettman and co dislikes
french canadians. The stadium is there. The would-be owner and the city are willing to play ball. The population is already turbo into hockey. What else would you need? I don't get it.

The problem with Quebec is it will cause upheaval with conference alignment. Somebody in the east has to go back to the west and they won't be happy about it because it's a really big disadvantage.

Pretty convinced it's a main reason the blue jackets went from laughingstock to middle of the pack once they switched conferences

Bettman

>Seattle
getting a team soon
>Milwaukee
too close to Chicago, no other cities in WI big enough for a team
>Cleveland
Ohio already has a team
>Quebec
weak Canadian dollar, NHL owners hate Pierre-Karl Peladeau

i am colorblind, pls remake this using yellow and blue so i can reply, thank you

Why doesn't Alaska have a team but the Vancouver-Seattle metro area gets two?

...didn't they just add the vegas knights in the west though?

why shouldn't the Vancouver-Seattle Metro Area have two teams when the Las Vegas-Los Angeles- San Jose Contiguous Urban Zone has four teams?

Yeah but the west still only has 15 teams and the east 16

8% of men are red-green colorblind (including me)

Thanks OP

Quebec also already has a team

Seattle is getting one.
Quebec City lost theirs and doesn't really deserve another one.
Columbus already fills the spot for Ohio's team. Ohio doesn't even deserve to have as many sports teams as it does.
Milwaukee deserves one but at this point it will be a long wait before the NHL considers giving them one.

Because you're a faggot.

Quebec City pop : ~531,902
This is why they don't have or need a team.

>can't use context clues to figure out what he's talking about
I thought you disabled fucks were suppose to become more perceptive in other areas to compensate

>Dallas
Because we are not a cuck city that’s broke. We rich bitch

lol retard

>look mom, i online bullied a color blind kid, look how strong i am

does that mean red and green look exactly alike?

>seattle
getting one soon

>milwaukee
Got screwed because the NHL is run by greedy idiots. For example, St. Louis got a team in 1967 because Chicago's owner also owned the shitty St. Louis arena. Meanwhile he thought Milwaukee was too close to Chicago and would cut into his profits.

>cleveland
The last NHL team to fold was from Cleveland. When the NHL went back to Ohio they decided to try Columbus since there are no other pro sports there

>Quebec
The NHL still hasn't forgiven the WHA. Beyond the shitty dollar, the city is pure French and free agents will LOLNOPE right out of there

>SJ/LA/LV/Dallas/Nashville/Raleigh/Tampa/Miami
The NHL wants a fat American TV contract. Covering the entire country seemed like a prerequisite.

>Anaheim
The NHL tricked Disney into buying a franchise

>look mom, i pretended Sup Forums was reddit and threw a fit but the mods didn't ban the ableist shitbag

The NHL was running 16/14 for a bit. Now it's 16/15 and with Seattle it will be 16/16. If Houston is interested in a team then maybe QC will get one. The NHL likes to keep at least one city as the "emergency release valve" in case a team goes sideways like Atlanta. They burned through Winnipeg in 2011. If they burn through QC then their only option would be a second southern Ontario team.

Seattle is all but confirmed to be the 32nd team. Ohio already has a team, it doesn't need another. Milwaukee could work, but seeing as Seattle will fill the NHL out at 32 teams, their only hope would be relocation of an eastern conference team like Florida or Carolina. They would also need to have a strong ownership group because their biggest competition right now is Houston.

>Quebec City
Never gonna happen. Not enough money, not enough branding power. Frankly, Canada could stand to lose another team. There's no need for two teams in Alberta when markets like Milwaukee, Kansas City, Portland, and Houston are ripe for the picking and far more valuable. Hell, try Atlanta for a third time. If it actually works, the NHL becomes bigger and more stable financially. There's just no money in it for the league in regards to small market Canadian teams. Small populations, no branding power, and an absolute shit Canadian dollar. It doesn't matter if it's a cultural thing to leafs, they just don't bring in the money or success anymore.This goes doubly for Quebec and their obsessive francophone independence shit.

Similar enough that when it's far away and strong reds and greens they look very similar. You could convince me some of those reds are green if you really wanted to.

I can tell the difference when looking at Christmas lights or traffic lights.

Thanks
Quebec City definitely should get one
Hartford CT too

Seattle is way too big of a market and they don't have an nba team to compete with. The only city anywhere close to it's size without either is Baltimore.

Counterargument: Green Bay

Do the maple leafs just cockblock any notion of a second southern Ontario. Since half of Canada lives there basically it makes little sense to me

>Do the maple leafs just cockblock any notion of a second southern Ontario. Since half of Canada lives there basically it makes little sense to me

The Leafs, Red Wings and Sabres all get in on it.

Yeah but Green Bay plays 8 home games a year mostly on Sundays and draws fans from the whole state. QC would have to compete with Montreal for out of town fans and plays 41 home games on various days of the week in much worse driving weather

the canucks were owned by a rich guy from seattle who wouldn't move them, because he got a free arena in vancouver because the previous owner was dumb
milwaukee needs chicago's permission for a team
cleveland had a team, they merged with the north stars, also really close to pittsburgh
quebec will just watch montreal

the league cares more about tv markets, seattle is the only one that doesn't get served well by a neighbor because of different broadcast rules over the border

also, seattle is getting a team in 3-4 years

>Quebec City lost theirs and doesn't really deserve another one.
most of this was because the canadian dollar sucked in the 90s when the government had to restructure the economy, it wasn't really the nordiques fault

why are there three teams withing 16 miles of each other?
some cities airports are further from the arena than these three

It's the most populous area in NA that cares about hockey plus each area has an identity separate from the others. Compare that to Toronto which is basically one big poo in loo hut. Montreal might have been able to pull it off if they kept the Maroons and had separated English/French teams.

Because NYC is more than double the size of any city in North America save LA and the NHL relies on gate revenue more than the other three major sports leagues here.

but green bays metropolitan population is like 300 thousand people. QC would not have to compete with montreal at all, montreal is barely considered part of quebec for crying out loud its closer to ottawa anyway, plus you don't think QC attracts east coast fans that don't have a team to root for?

GB is an anomaly that exists because the team outdates the league.
Besides, most people in Milwaukee and the majority of Wisconsin is Packers fans.

Meanwhile QC would have direct competition with the Habs and would be one of the smallest hockey markets to date, being only a little bigger than Winnipeg. If we put a new NFL team in Milwaukee it would have trouble drumming up support, look at how much LA still loves the Raiders, same goes with QC and Montreal.

Yet a majority of Ottowa is Leafs fans.

nfl is profitable without a ticket sold because of complete sharing of the national tv deals
nhl has more regional deals, it's murky how the league shares revenue

Remember 8 home games a season, mostly on Sundays.

Honestly I know jackshit about quebec city but drawing 15-20k/game 41 times at prices where they can be competitive and profitable from a metro area of 800k sounds like a tall task.

Green bays a once a week deal on the weekends, I'm sure a ton of people nowhere close to green bay go. You're not getting outside regional help for your Tuesday night games against Tampa bay.

>NHL relies on gate revenue more than the other three major sports leagues here
Including the MLB? I thought their ticket sales were ludicrously high.

Maine DESERVES a team

Aren't the two closest teams the Wild and the Blackhawks?

Portland, Oregon would get a team before Portland, Maine

I live by Buffalo, every Sabres game is about 20% people from Buffalo, 10% people from WNY and 70% people from Toronto, Hamilton, Niagara Region. Side note, Buffalo is a truly disgusting city.

Dont forget Quebec Nordiques.

How the fuck did they lose a team?

>How the fuck did they lose a team?

but having 2 teams in a Canadian province is way more feasible than 2 teams in a US state

>San Jose
>Nashville
>Tampa
>LA
All deserve teams
>Anaheim
>Las Vegas
>Dallas
>Carolina
eh..
>Sunrise/Miami
>Glendale
Why?

Once the yotes move to Scottsdale they'll draw consistently in the middle of the pack maybe even right behind the big boys if they can actually start winning some games

Alaska is an outlying territory of Seattle, so they have one.

>Seattle

LMFAO

Well, none of the places in red ever lost a professional sports team to Oklahoma City.

Red wings and hawks

That I can understand, but Montana isn't in either the Greater Edmonton Suburbs nor the Denver Cultural Heritage Zone, so why doesn't Helena have a team?

It's happening, you can't stop it

youtube.com/watch?v=B4uJF9l-Qxo

this. why the fuck do people use red and green next to each other so much?

>Buffalo is a truly disgusting city.
Didn't know the shit you wrote before that, definitely know this. Buffalo has a special sense of dread and depression unique to American cities, and that's saying something. And this is coming from a dude that grew up in fucking ohio

The Mountain West is indeed deprived. There is no easy answer.

>All these people blaming Bettman for Quebec losing their team

Bettman sucks but this really isn't his fault. Quebec City has rabid hockey fans but it just isn't a good market, there aren't enough people. You might as well put teams in Saskatoon, Victoria and Halifax while you're at it. Plus it would have both the issues of Ottawa and Winnipeg, in that it's primarily a government town lacking the business infrastructure of other major cities, which is actually a big issue for Ottawa, and nobody is going to want to sign there. Winnipeg will only be good as long as they can draft and develop players, which they've been good at. Attracting free agents and personnel will be like pulling teeth because nobody wants to sign there. It would be the same with QC

>Hartford
Give us a team