Did your video store growing up have any specials? Which special would you usually get?

Did your video store growing up have any specials? Which special would you usually get?

My brother worked part time so I got all my movies for free.

Renting Under Siege when I was 6 was the best.

Also, when they closed down I got first pick of all the VHS movies they had. Got hundreds of amazing garbage videos that I've uploaded VHSrips of onto Cinemageddon. Godfrey Ho ninja movies, AIP productions, action, martial arts...good times.

Ah, memories.

I don't remember any specials but I've always wondered what happened to those 600 copies of the latest release movie when it gets old and the store reduces their inventory to one or two copies.

Rent 2 SNES games get one free. That made for some fun weekends.

Also if you rented Ghostbusters, you got to "meet Slimer". The owner would take you into the back and shut off the lights. You'd say "Slimer cmon out!" and he'd shoot slime on your face. Only for kids under 12 and we weren't supposed to tell adults about it. I guess it was some studio promo and they sent him a squirt gun or something.

Any other stores have Pogs by the counter? I remember renting a movie and getting a buncha pogs too. This was the early 90s.

That's dope, man. I always wanted to work in a video store but they were all closing down by the time I was old enough. I used to love going and going through their old vhs stuff and getting the $1 rental deal with a new release or two. Nothing will ever beat going through their horror or action section while deciding just which exact combination of movies you wanted to get for the weekend. I'm on CG too so thanks for uploading stuff. I love that place. Which upload of yours do you recommend I check out?

Do you live in the US? Were the VHS tapes predominantly packaged in those flimsy boxes or would there be a lot of hard plastic ones too? I remember only seeing hard plastic packaging mostly and these sort of boxes wouldn't be as common...

>Nine ten, never browns a video store again.
We need to go back lads.

>browns
Meant to say *browse

Didn't they just sell them? All the South Park videos I had as a kid were ex-rentals I bought from the local video store. They may not have been allowed to do that in retrospect but it was a tiny store in a tiny town so I doubt anyone cared.

Before Blockbuster came to town and ruined everyone my video store visits would consist of me trying to run into the adults only section while my mom wasn't looking...bitch had eyes in the back of her head because I only made it in there once for like two seconds,

Kek

Damn dude, you were a little gangster. I didn't even consider the idea of going anywhere near there because of the punishment I would get.

5 movies for $5 for 5 nights.

>No Retreat, No Surrender

a-user, i...

best post ITT

The best was Two for Tuesday when you could rent older videos for 49 cents. I saw all kinds of oddball and foriegn stuff I never would have normally seen.
Then Blockbuster bought them and threw out all the old stuff and just had mainstream new releases. Boring.

We would always rent 2 VHS. One a horror or drama, and one a comedy or fun looking movie. I used to love weekends at my dads. Too bad its all over.

I sure miss browsing the Horror section of video-rental places.

The boxes that always stuck out to me were Return of the Living Dead 2, Dr. Giggles, The Ice Cream Man, Nightmare on Elm Street 4, Monkey Shines, Critters 2, Chopping Mall and Basket Case. I'm sure there were more though.

A game and a movie as a combo deal, forgot how nuch but probably like $7-10. I would either get a shitty comedy or the Ghibli film that got buried somewhere. Then I'd get whatever I hadnt beaten on n64 since parents didnt buy a whole lot of games, though in retrospect that was a smarter way of doing it. I remeber getting Ocarina and seeibg that someone got farther than me and so I was playing and was terrified of the redeads.
Fuck man that was over 20 years ago.