MST3K

Satellite's gone up to the skies
Things like that drive me out of my mind
I watched it for a little while
I like to watch things on TV (ooh ooh ooh)

(Boh-boh-boh) Satellite of love
Sa...tell...ite...of...

stop ruining my childhood jews

I liked the new season a lot. Some things were a bit iffy, but eh most of MST3K was pretty imperfect.

Let me guess, everyone here hates it?

I'm a fan of the old show, and I saw one of the new season's episodes last night. I wanted to hate it, but I laughed out loud.

How did Kanga get the SoL back in space with Crow and Tom Servo?

I seriously doubt a lot of people here hating on it have seen the earlier versions. Sup Forums mainly just has a hateboner for Felicia Day.

It's weird. I do like it but I still really wish it didn't exist.

I think this finally settles it

Mike>Joel

If for no other reason than this shit show

Joel Hodgson said in an interview that they chose to talk about that in the next season so this one wasn't too loaded with exposition.

Im like 7 episodes in and i dont care much for it, jokes are way too fast and often come off as annoying like that guy that wont shut up and is always trying to be funny.

I still don't like the "I have to reenact the opening credits" concept.

That's part of it but Kevin Murphy is sorely missed as Tom.

i just watched the first episode

felicia day isn't an issue at all for me, i actually like her character of an overeager supervillain

my problem with it was that most of the jokes weren't as funny, and seemed very cheap and less sophisticated than the show

like there's this sense that they can say the word "twitter" and they think that the audience will laugh because it's an internet thing that exists!

I hope it's just them getting back into the swing of things but I was disappointed by how little I laughed

Also, Jonah, Tom and Crow's voices are too similar, which makes the theater comments all run together. I wish they had gotten someone with a deeper voice to play Tom.

That's retarded. The exposition in the first episode just feels unfinished. Like they got halfway through and ran out of kickstarterbucks.

>Jonah, Tom and Crow's voices are too similar

Yeah this is my main issue. Mike, Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett all have distinct voices.

I saw one episode.
I was expecting it to be horrible, but it was merely mediocre.
Crow's voice is pretty good, not spot on or anything but recognizeably Crow.
Tom isn't even trying to sound like either of the previous Toms. He just seems to sound like a normal dude talking, which is confusing when one of the three characters IS a normal dude talking.
They all three tend to start to sound alike once they start doing impressions or changing their tone for jokes.
They sound like they're reading as many jokes as they can fit, rather than like they're watching the movie with is.
They don't seem to laugh at the movie, or their own jokes, which makes them seem like practiced performers rather than particularly witty audience members.
Tom and Gypsy doing shit during the movie is distracting.
The main character's monster song was pretty bad, but MST3K always had its share of lame host segments.
I was shocked that there were only three [current year] type jokes, and none of them were particularly terrible.
All in all it was at least as good as some of the lamer original episodes, and I didn't even get he urge to strangle Patton Oswalt.
Mike is better than Joel.

not really

felicia day doesn't care about taking over the world with the perfect terrible movie, her weapon is the mystery science theater 3000 brand

her whole scam is that she's going to trap some guy and use him in a reboot of mst3k and rake in a shitload of cash

so when he lands on the moon, the show is literally ready to go around him, already playing the theme song as they unceremoniously dump him onto the satellite of love

They're trying too hard. There is a joke every fucking second, and less than a quarter of them are even worth a chuckle. What made a lot of the old jokes funny was not so much the joke itself, but the timing and delivery. None of the new cast can deliver a joke, and it's all made even worse by the fact that they are rushing through each riff just so they can be in time for the next one. Sometimes the old show went a solid minute or two without a single riff, and it was fine. It created a more comfortable and casual atmosphere, and it gave the actors a chance to relax and act naturally, as well as to react to each other. Even though it was scripted, it didn't feel like it was. The new show has none of that casual humor or chemistry.

Doesn't have the chemistry of the old show. Down the stretch when it was Mike, Kevin, and Bill that was the best combo. They were able to riff well and you could hear them laugh at what the other was saying on several occasions.

I never really knew who Felicia Day was before this. But she is really not funny.

Ive been watching the classic episodes, and they feel so much more natural. They're super comfy to watch. The new season tries so fucking hard. Its so afraid of dead air. The jokes all feel forced and don't settle. While I know both shows are scripted, NuMST3K feels fake and doesn't hide it well.

All of these Rifftrax paid shills. Objectively, the best era was the Mike / Kevin / Trace Comedy Central episodes before Frank left.

Thirded. I can usually tell Crow apart, but the other two are way too similar.

Trace and Bill were both great Crows.
Clayton and Observer were both fun too.

Trace was just 'great.' He is Crow T. Robot. Anything else is a variation, a take, but not the original.

And I like Bill better than Kevin.

>but the timing and delivery
there are a lot of gags that are delivered way too early, slightly before events that they are referencing happen. So instead of processing a joke as a reaction to something happening onscreen, a lot of times you hear a joke and are trying to process it as the referenced film event is happening in the first place. it leads to a kind of comedic dissonance where you "get" the gag but it's not funny, because the punchline pre-empted the very thing it was mocking

Bitter and sarcastic sounding crow was better than the whiny version Trace did.

I heard the horrible soul crushing experience of making the movie drove him out. If you go back and watch Crow's experiences making Earth vs Soup after hearing about it, it hurts a little.

pretty much this
it's a rapid fire of low energy banter in the hopes that something sticks. Like reading bullet points off of a script.
sometimes you just need to shut the fuck up and let things soak a little bit and wait for the right moment. It's comedic timing. Which this new iteration simply doesn't have.

The heart just feels absent. It's no longer a group of people getting together who enjoy old movies and shitting on them, it's a group of people who worship that show and want to pay it tribute.

It's the same problem comics have now.

As for Rifftrax which I keep seeing brought up, they've gone downhill the past few years too. It's all just tired script reading now. Nothing flows or feels natural and I'm utterly sick of political based jabbing.

Between this "reboot" and Bill Nyes new show, I'm not impressed with Netflix's latest exclusive offerings.

Yes, end of season 5, all season 6 & 7 were fucking glorious.

I enjoy Joel and the later Mike episodes, but with Joel I feel they really hadn't got the 'groove' of the show down pat until right before he left (first half of season 5 is still great) and the later ones I feel they just got to 'comfortable' and relied on previous references and callbacks way too much.

And Rifftrax I don't care for at all, its just 3 old men with disembodied voices yammering on over generally good movies, missing the entire point of MST3K.

Yeah. That's only half of it. We get nothing about Jonah or the bots. They immediately skip two month to a status quo.

Skrip blop flip bop. Tang farl twee dee floo forl. Dippity doo. Eep narl arn lee.