Would you watch a high budget/modern werewolf movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiess_of_Kaltenbrun
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_of_Soissons
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I always do, I'm usually disappointed at any budget level.

yes

But that's not a werewolf user

It isn't?

That's just a wolfman

If it was good.

Why are you disappointed specifically?
Is there anything you'd like to see?

What would make it good for you?

Good story, good actors and good cinematography.

Werewolves are the worst kind of monsters. Way too goofy.

There's always so much focus on the transformation and the FX, that's always some end goal for filmmakers and I think it would be better as a sort of disjointed memory losing touch on reality sort of psychological aspect. Not a desperate fight for humanity against the monster inside but a struggle to actually keep it together with all of this shit happening out of their control. Their inability to trust themselves is usually glossed over for actual physical presence of monster.

There are a lot of ways to make a werewolf movie story, what would constitute a good overarching idea to you?
Ancient monstrosity? Psychological thriller? Action? A meditation on man's inner bestial nature?

Additionally, what cinematographic techniques/styles do you think would be fitting or useful in such a movie?

All good questions. Personally I'm still in love with the original Wolfman.

I also enjoyed American Werewolf in London, but after near yearly viewings and constant analysis it has long since started to show its age with some wear and tear around the seems.

I would love something akin to a mystery film sort of in the vein of A She-Wolf in London but with a core focus on an ancient evil.

A foreboding sense of dread as a small forest village becomes aware that one of their own has fallen to a sinister curse.

Light trimmings of the occult, monster in the shadows, etc. Make it a psychological horror film.

yea if they managed to make it scary somehow, the werewolf from hp3 is probably the only scary werewolf design in film

this was already covered in american werewolf in london
to the point the viewer is left wondering if the mc ever was a werewolf or transformed at all

This. No control, no clever attacks, only brutality. Boring.

You'd enjoy this then. Made on a shoestring budget.

yeah, if it was Dog Soldiers

It would be if the viewer perspective was on parity with the character's perspective. They started out that route only to be overtaken by actual big monster fx in the end, yeah the potential insanity stuff was cool but it wasn't enough.

I do, especially Ginger Snaps 2 cause emily perkins is the cutest of them AND it deals with the whole... did that actually happen stuff. Plus what a fucking ending. 2>1 by a lot, but 1 was really more about teen girl puberty allegory so it gets a pass. It wasn't preachy and best mom.

The longer the note, the more dread

I'd watch any werewolf movie if it suited my desire to masturbate to a QT bara werewoof who has huge arms and thicc legs

As a twist, I'd love to see the old OLD holy werewolf angle played on.
Maybe an action horror film set during the crusades

This. Give Neil Marshall one hundred million.

That one scene in Trick-r-Treat did things to me...

I really enjoyed the first one, but yeah 2 really is darker and more mature. And yeah Emily Perkins is cute as fuck. I wish she had a bigger career.

I was sort of disappointed by the ending because in the end, she couldn't beat it. Ginger embraced the curse but Brigette became a victim of it. Still wish they'd done a third rather than a prequel.

if they made Monster Hunter International as a AAA big budget movie with a damn good director and actors then fuck yes.

I remember Brotherhood of the Wolf maybe being similar. Thought there was one more medeivaly type thing like that where it's more a mystery than a monster flick.

Katherine Isabelle is in a pretty good horror film from a couple of years ago, called American Mary

Interesting, I'll have to give it a look.
Also wish there were some good werewolf games to slate my thirst, but it is what it is for now.

So I've heard, I keep meaning to check it out. Emily Perkins was the qt abortion clinic receptionist in Juno has done a lot of tv but I wish she'd done more feature films

Do you mean to say that the werewolf is holy ala
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiess_of_Kaltenbrun

Yeah if you make it historical en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_of_Soissons

I would, but I'd go in fully expecting some social/political message and just hope the effects and plot could make up for it.

> as far as they knew, his common sense had never failed him
That's an altogether different approach. I wouldn't even know how to think on that sort of thing. Old folk shamanism vs. "Modern" christianity on the werewolf stuff, could b gud.

what the hell kind of degenerate furry shit is this

Probably not, although I could see it being done well and being successful. Today it could go either way. But it could never be a masterpiece today.

Oh you know I would, OP

>mf

movie?

It needs iconic horror locations. A lot of horror movies forget this. I think if you looked at the most recent wolfman, besides it being terrible shit, the kid in the cave scene was fucking kino. That should of been the whole movie and whether to kill the kid or be hunted by its family.
I'd like to see a Film that feels like cold prey 2 but with a werewolf on the lose

I'd watch a sequel/prequel to Van Helsing

When you talk about it being incapable of constituting a masterpiece, do you mean to say that it would be prevented by the subject matter, or market forces/consumer taste not justifying the monetary/talent expenditure necessary?

Hey man whatever floats your boat, I don't judge.

Any particular settings in mind?
I actually started this thread because I had been musing over the idea of the confluence between some vaguely Stalkerish setting and a Werewolf.

How would you work werewolves into it?

Underrated movie btw. I don't mean to say that it was fantastic or anything, but I don't believe it deserves such a dismal rottentomatoes score.
It was dumb, but not offensively so.

A farm. I always wanted to see a family return to their country farm after two years because they were too busy and readying it to sell. They decide to stay for the winter/autumn and notice the caretaker has been hiding secrets from them. Cattle are missing. Scratches in the attic. Coming to a crus censor in the end. Again it would feel similar to cold prey 1/2

It really needs to steer into the inability to trust oneself and use an unreliable narrator sort of thing, shot entirely from their perspective. Don't show it, just black the scene out like mid-sentence and come back in covered in blood having to deal with the mess. Basically, make it a metaphor about alcoholism or dealing with addiction very poorly and have the fact its a Werewolf come from the results of it or little rumors or news reports, and the main character knowing what they are.

I've thought of this idea a lot lately. Basically, if you don't have a ridiculous budget and good art direction, a Werewolf can't hold up a movie on its own on basis of action, gore, ore simple plots, so it has to deal with the paranoia and the internal existential struggle. It really surprises me something along the lines of what I'm thinking hasn't already been made, really.

Fuck, why are werewolves so hot? I just want one to ravage me.

The OG Wolf Man is the best. It takes time to really get into the characters and tell you about the town before it throws the monster at you

One of my favorite movies

Lame

only if it runs around knotting chicks

its only furry if you empathize with the werewolf

>American Mary
She became my waifu after watching that for a solid half year or more. Watched all the Ginger Snap movies because of her and even all these really shitty other movies just because she was in them.

Patrician taste

The Wolfman remake (2010)

I want a sympathetic werewolf story, a la the old Bixby Hulk.

OK, now something I can actually take seriously.