La La Land

Why does this movie hate romaticism so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/K1esUPGApXo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why is your life so fucking pointless, Billy?

It's dishonest

post films that are romantic but realistic
500 days of summer

It's actually really the opposite, the movie sells a classic, almost Disney-like idea of romance, where the first kiss is treated like the most important thing in the world and there's a crazy buildup to it. In most movies they'd get together after the first sex, but in La La Land, there isn't even any mention or allusion to sex, just that first kiss. It's one of the reasons I like it a lot.

I know you were trying to be trendy and ironic, but irony is so saturated these days that you just come across as a very boring human being, and thus I get the urge to reply honestly to you so at least I can entertain myself.

>you

He's not wrong

It's literally the complete opposite, how can you be so stupid? Naive romance buds from nothing other than coincidence, then they sing against starry backgrounds.

But they don't get together in the end

It's like buying the best ice-cream in the world and dropping it to the ground.

Sup Forums couldn't see a kino even it was shoved in their eyesockets

Romanticism =/= romance. Although I'd say it's romantic too.

>romanticism: the quality or state of being impractical or unrealistic

Everything magically works out for them and they both achieve their dreams. Gosling's character gets yelled at for trying to pursue a realistic career path instead of pursuing pipe-dreams. Mia just happens to get discovered and then everything works out for her after that. It's honestly more naive than most Disney movies. The idea that a couple of plucky youngsters can achieve dreams just because they want it badly enough is INCREDIBLY romantic, and that's the core of the movie.

>Romanticism =/= romance.
I know that.

>romanticism: the quality or state of being impractical or unrealistic
that's wrong, though. It's about being idealistic, about the world being a place where you can get what you want, the way you want it.

>The idea that a couple of plucky youngsters can achieve dreams just because they want it badly enough is INCREDIBLY romantic, and that's the core of the movie.

Yeah, but the reason they like each other is because of their ambitions, and they go their own ways in the end. That's just stupid imo. Would have been amazing if everything worked out.

Having just gone through a breakup a couple weeks ago after a long relationship that I thought would be permenant. The ending of lalaland has become really personal to me and has made me love the film even more.

I wish my grandma was still alive, she would've loved this movie and it would've been nice to see it with her

Nah bro bvs is capekino ;)

Same here.

The ending isn't bitter really. They both went their own way and achieved exactly what they wanted. In the end they both grew from their breakup and cherished what worked. That's what the smile at the end meant, at least for me.

Fuck now that I think of it I feel like shit.

And yet their ambitions also tear them apart in the end
Pretty tragic, huh

I also found it interesting that the movie completely skips the hurt that comes after the separation and instead focuses on the future of both characters as if to say it's not worth letting pain consume you when instead you can focus on ensuring a better future.

OP is a fucking retarded nigger

Yeah buddy that's what I keep telling myself.

fuck you

this movie unironically changed my life

it's just a retarded story. breaking up was simply an obligation to make retards think it's bittersweet when there was no real reason for them to break up

Are you kidding me kid? That movie was hipster faggot garbage. What changed in your life from watching that trash?

not him, but watch some explanation videos. The main character did everything wrong

I know, he was a cuck, but the movie is still a pile of garbage

Both main characters get to the point in the relationship where they become self-destructive by sacrificing their own happiness in an attempt to make the other happy.
>no reason to break up
>wew, if you saw their relationship as healthy you need to reconsider the relationships in your life

it was only "unhealthy" because it had to be for the script, which is why their first fight feels both cheap and obligatory and is out of nowhere.
The girl already had the part before they said their goodbyes, and Gosling sacrificing his happiness is a non issue because he continued working with John Legend after their fight AND after they broke up. so no fuck you

this x 100

No she didn't. She was waiting to hear back.

youtu.be/K1esUPGApXo

Saying something was just for the script isn't a valid arguement because everything that takes place in any movie happens to progress the script.

you don't need to be Nostradamus to know she gets the part after nailing an audition while singing the main song in the movie during the climax of a fucking musical you stupid nigger.

"oh I love you forever" but 4 years later she's married with kids. I guess that love didn't mean jack shit. army wives wait for their husbands that might not even come back, but two losers in LA who already have huge prospects in businesses that overlap all the time anyway can't hack it? I hope chazelle slits his throat

Romanticism fucking sucks and ruins everything you fucking cuck.

it does moron because there was realistically and practically no reason to have the fight. gosling complains about sacrificing his integrity to play with john legend to support them financially, but after they split he stays with the band anyway

>t. bitter virgin

Obviously you know she's gonna get it as a viewer, but the characters themselves didn't know that. I actually really disliked the ending too so I agree with your mini rant. Chazzelle wanted it both ways, having it take place during our modern era but wanted to force some old era problems. I don't even care that they didn't end up together but 5 year gap was ridiculous. It was like the car crash scene in Whiplash.

We don't know how long he stayed with him. All signs point to him doing what Mia wanted, taking the money he earned to start the club and even used her logo and suggested new name.

>army wives wait for their husbands that might not even come back

army wives are the biggest whores and cheat on their husbands ALL the time. You're naive.

some does not = all
THE POINT IS it's not much of a sacrifice when you are both getting a shit ton of money, and work in acting/music whose industries overlap and work with each other all the fuckin time, as evidenced BY THIS MOVIE'S ENTIRE EXISTENCE

>romaticism
you don't know what that word really means, do you?

this fucking board, holy shit.

not that guy
>I guess that love didn't mean jack shit. army wives wait for their husbands that might not even come back,
A lot of army wives are huge sluts, but I ge tthe point you're making.
>but two losers in LA who already have huge prospects in businesses that overlap all the time anyway can't hack it? I hope chazelle slits his throat
Fucking this. He made it a point to rub it in

>It was like the car crash scene in Whiplash.
>This is the guy that made the holy abooooomination, whiplash

Now it all makes sense.

Whiplash was the same pile of shit.
>character wants to do something
>le uber-mega-asshole teacher
>gets fired
>loses jooooob
>crashes car
>can't fucking play
>somehow gets a gig by chance
>movie ends ambiguously
>asshole suddenly resolves
>"reality doesn't matter, only how you feel about it does"

fuck this guy.

forgive me for the repeating alphabets, my rpeeat rate and delay is insanely fast

(repeat delay is 146ms)

Yeah I feel this same way about it.
I get how that can be too sappy for a lot of people but I really appreciated seeing that kind of portrayal in this day and age, it was refreshing to me.

>this literal autistic faggot whose only human contact was getting buttfucked by his uncle from 7-12 sperging out ITT

The relationship portrayal was completely understandable and realistic.

Seb makes the initial mistake - the instant he hears Mia explaining to her mother on the phone that he doesn't have a "job," or much at all going on in his life (which is one of the first themes brought up in his first scene with his sister), he makes an impulse decision to join the band. The band becomes a hit, and he's always touring, so over time they naturally begin to grow apart since they're almost never together.

This is intensified by Seb's internal chage, he sells out. That's why he's wearing black in EVERY scene with the band, and even his keyboard becomes black, it's a very on-the-nose way of saying he was "corrupted." Mia gets further disappointed when she sees him performing live, no passion at all, not a shred of the man she met.

Now the fight scene happens very organically, it's a great conversation and the way it builds up is really smart. Seb's pride gets the best of him and he ends up causing it the most, because he's unhappy. "I thought this is what you wanted me to do," he says. You can tell he resents Mia a little.

After her one man show falls flat and she's at her lowest, everything just becomes too much - the distance, the changes, the fights, and she calls it quits. It's a heat of the moment decision, happens a lot. She spent a long time organising that show only to be completely embarassed and he didn't even show up, being that he encouraged her. Totally understandable. At this point they're both resenting each other.

Now the impression I got from this scene is that neither of them really thought they'd stay apart, just take a break and come back, when they've realized themselves a bit. But such is life, and it didn't happen. No big ending fight, no last romantic gesture, it just... Didn't really happen.

Great movie.

wrong

>And you love jazz now... right?

>it' sliterally life
why do you watch it then? Do you like shit like this/

I beg your pardon

>but after they split

Oh, I see who you are now.

The money wasn't the point. The point was following our dreams. She wanted to be an actress and he wanted to make a blues club. Those two dreams don't cross paths, you're just coming off as a whiny bitch at this point.

Anyone going to this?

>Those two dreams don't cross paths, you're just coming off as a whiny bitch at this point.
And they didn't even achieve those, you fucktard. The guy sold out first. That's the problem. He shouldn't have signed up iiiin the first place.

wasn't intentional, but yes it is me
the point is you fucktard, those dreams most certainly fucking DO cross paths. So you're just coming off as a mongoloid.
exactly, they both had come to terms with one or both of them making sacrifices. but then after a year of getting mad cash and being on magazine covers, she's dumb enough to be all like "you're compromising on following your dreams? WHAT???" and he's mad at her for this when he could've stopped at any time.

>the FUCKING Oscar winning score and songs to the GOD DAMNED Academy Award winning film
still mad

what