Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uS2ZoQihPLs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Best
Miami vice
>worst
Miami vice

Heat was pretty much peak Mann.

It may be a joke, or serious, but that movie manages to have some good things in it while also being completely meh

Miami Vice could have been good if Jamie Foxx wasn't such a huge dickhead.

Only people who don't understand what makes Mann great say this. Heat is a good movie but he didn't become truly great and make multiple masterpieces until the 00s and his embrace of digital filmmaking. Miami Vice and Public Enemies are both wholly unique in their images and though MV gets most of the praise these days, I suspect PE will be more and more appreciated in the coming years. It was a bold move for Mann to use digital cameras for a period film and it alienated a lot of his audience but after a few viewings and getting used to it the digital photography becomes a great strength and the film stands out as among the best things Mann's ever done.

heat is his best movie.

Forgot about Public Enemies. Definitely underrated.

Public enemies seems to be one of his more forgettable movies to me, was it being digital really that big of a deal when it came out? It didn't have the same feel to MV or Collateral

Criminally underrated?

Collateral is his best.

Collateral was interesting because it was all shot at night and so the use of digital was integral to the film. You can't shoot film at night like that.

He's the most overrated director of all time easily.

>Old-mann
Thief
>Nu-mann
Public enemies

I'd have to agree with this. It's my personal favorite too but it's also a culmination of all his efforts in film making coming together incredibly well. Plus it had a great Tom Cruise performance, which most of his are anyway.

>thoughts
He's one of the few directors that understand how integral good sound design/music is.
>best
Heat, obviously. Collateral 2nd.
>worst
Blackhat
>comeback
Never too late
>Blackhat
No

The Insider was good, don't get how he got involved with it. didn't really seem like his type of movie

Collateral is his best

Heat is reddit's choice

Yeahit's really good, but I'm sure the reason most of reddit even cared for it cause when the Dark knight released critics kept saying "it reminded us of Heat"

He was having discussions with Lowell Bergman about making a movie called Arms and the Man (heh), about arms dealers, while the events depicted in The Insider were going on and Lowell told him about them and Mann told him that "this is what we should be making a movie about!" And the rest is history.

Manhunter would actually be the best candidate for the contrarian Sup Forums choice.

/lbg/ BTFO

youtube.com/watch?v=uS2ZoQihPLs

fuck mann and fuck white people

It's not that bad, there's good in both manhunter and red dragon, I'm not sure what I'd prefer between the two

I liked miami vice, but I didn't like blackhat. idk

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

Well half his movies have characters with Nazi tattoos on them

He's a mensch, son of a grocer from Chicago and likes to cast his old Chicago buddies in his films. Even still has the accent!

Seriously, what is it with all the hate for Blackhat on Sup Forums??
it's perfectly crafted and apart from the ridiculously animated "hacking" scene at the beginning it's as good as any mann film...
is Sup Forums just triggered by chris hemsworth as the world's greatest hacker who is also a chad and can fight like a marine?
that was a bit unrealistic but so was the manlet tom cruise as an unstoppable hitman and all of you liked that...

>is Sup Forums just triggered by chris hemsworth as the world's greatest hacker who is also a chad and can fight like a marine?

Pretty much. It's a ridiculous character even for a Michael Mann movie.

>was 37 years old when he made his first film

Is there still hope for us?

>Best:
Thief
>Worst:
Blackhat
>Overrated:
Collateral
>Underrated:
Miami Vice
>Needs a trimming in the editing room:
Heat

Who here is looking forward to Michael Mann Books' first release?

There are many late boomers, People like Jennifer Lawrence are the exception and not the rule, most People had different jobs before and ended for some reason in the movie industry.

I kind of agree with you, but without a doubt the best looking scenes in movie were the nightclub scenes--which were shot on film.

To become a body like Hemsworth you need maybe 4 hours a week training for 4-5 years, I'm lifting and everyone who lifts I know is a computer science or STEM student or has a degree in it. You can look like that and fight like that and be also good in hacking and programming.

To get*

>understand how integral good sound design/music is
Explain Blackhat, then

Are you serious?
>perfectly crafted
Has to be bait.
The editing is sloppy. The sound design is TERRIBLE. The camerawork is poor. The plot is garbage. The acting unconvincing. His character is the least of its flaws, and not even that bad.

lmao I've seen pictures of the most well known blackhat hackers and let's just say they're not exactly movie star Aussie hunks.

Yes, but lifting still doesn't need much time. A workout need 60 minutes, mostly you do with 45 minutes okay, Jay Cutler only trains for 45 minutes. Every single person on the planet in every job has time for that.

Sure but lifting and having muscles doesn't mean you automatically receive martial arts and firearms knowledge. Blackhat was okay but Hemsworth's character is pure fantasy.

I give you that. But the most unrealistic aspect was that he sat years in prison without sawing a computer once in these years, but still somehow is "The only guy" who can stop the bad guy.

Kino tier: Thief, Ali, Miami Vice, Blackhat
God tier: Collateral, Heat, Manhunter
Great tier: The Insider, Last of the Mohicans
Ok tier: Public Enemies

What the FUCK? Blackhat is worse than PE in every way - and I'm not saying PE is any good.