"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy...

>"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control."
- Simon Pegg

>"A sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times? I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities"
- Alec Guinness

>"I don't think they are making [comic book movies] an elevated art form, I think it's still just Batman running around in a stupid cape.. It's for kids, it's adolescent in its core. "
- David Cronenberg

>"I don't want to see or make films about super heroes that fly around in spandex and a cape solving the problems of the world. I think it's fine for children, children of all ages by the way, but it's not for me."
- William Friedkin

>“They have been poison, this cultural genocide, Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”
- Alejandro Iñárritu

>"Oh yes dear, quite pungent"
- Quentin Tarantino

>"Superman makes me vomit, Batman and all of that. That whole empire... this religion... It is so important that superheroes suffer... I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States."
- Alejandro Jodorowsky

>"How disgusting"
- Asuka Langley

>"To my mind, this embracing of what were unambiguously children's characters at their mid-20th century inception seems to indicate a retreat from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence"
- Alan Moore

>"Almost every contemporary big budget movie is a childrens movie"
- Nicolas Winding Refn

>"lootcrate, more like redditcrate"
- Anonymous

Fuck Alec Guinness. What a miserable old man.

how did fucking Portal become the staple franchise for this faux nerd phenomenon?

they're right. consumers are being trained to eat bigger piles of shit, more frequetntly, and be more grateful for it.

I may still be into capeshit but I'm glad I at least outgrew Vidya

because
>le caek is a lie

it was a time when girls started to significantly enter into the vidya market and portal was this accessible yet relatively non mainstream game that they could use to flaunt their nerd cred

>people with mansions telling us to stop being materialist

>missing the point

Typical frogposter

Guinness was a snobby old asshole. At least Harrison Ford is the fun kind of curmudgeon.

how was portal ever a none mainstream game

why do you keep making these threads? is it because you crave attention tripfriend? surely there must be better ways

Alec Guinness was an acting god, he saw genre fiction for what it was, something that would kill the arts.

>"Film as art culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to intellectually masturbate the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control"
- Simon Pegg

>"A sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen 2001: A Space Odyssey over a hundred times. I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see 2001 again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand faux-intellgencia banalities"
- Alec Guinness

>"I don't think they are making [art films] as elevated art form, I think it's still just a French guy smoking a cigarette with a Noir filter around his stupid depressed face... It's for quasi-intellectuals, it's adolescent in its core."
- David Cronenberg

>"I don't want to see or make films about a guy and his dog where nothing actually happens as some kind of metaphor for the pointlessness of life. I think it's fine for people who want to pretend to be smart, those of all ages by the way, but it's not for me."
- Alejandro Iñárritu

>"They have been poisoned, this culture genocide, Because the audience is so overexposed to pointless camera work and terrible religious metaphors and shit that doesn't mean nothing about the experience of a simple story."
- Alejandro Jodorowsky

Films are for entertainment, not for pretending you're cultured, idiots. Read a book.

>>"How disgusting"
>- Asuka Langley

It's so Fucking stupid. It's not even true you see it at the end of the game

Alec Guinness is one of the greatest actors of the 20th century on both stage, screen, radio and TV.

He probably feels a bit guilty, he accepted a percentage share in Star Wars (which he thought would flop) when they ran out of money as a favour and obviously it made him richer than Jabba The Hutt.

Pretty sure Alan Moore lives in a swamp

Nerd culture is a disaster, false idols will move and speak about, people love the whole facade of appearing smart and intelligible, remember when they tried to make sexy is the new smart? However they don't want to require putting in the effort of actually becoming smart. Leftism, capitalism and consumerism have dug their claws deep into this shit hole of a subculture. I don't know if you've noticed but I have, the people who spout their love for this crap are the types who are leftist college students in debt for doing something ridiculous, this whole abomination is nothing but a smokescreen for them as they are in denial about their choices of wasting thousands upon thousands of currency while they profess their love for Capeshit or Star Wars. If Batman, Superman or Spider-Man is a leftist, maybe everything will be okay for me too? They might be thinking, well no! Mostly because they are being led around in circles by a chain around their neck that is choking them tighter and tighter the more they delve into this garbage and treat it as a religion.

Star Wars was essentially his retirement fund. He could have at least shown a bit more gratitude. I acknowledge his talent but I still don't like his high and mighty classically trained actor attitude.

Stop adding inauthentic things because you fall under what they're talking about.

Make me

The Orange Box was a balls of steel move from Valve. Probably only equalled by Microsoft backstabbing IBM as a piece of business chutzpah.

People complain about the dominance of Steam but they went all-in on it, they could have destroyed themselves (and worse still, looked ridiculous) if it had failed.

Portal was in the Orange Box, the rest is history.

Why do people keep making Capeshit threads? Is it because you crave attention tripfriend? surely there must be better ways.

I got steam at first for free portal

Star wars is shit and alec was completely correct. If that kid never watched it again he still watched it 99 times too many

The Orange Box really was an incredible thing at the time, I remember that back then Steam was still considered janky and restrictive, but look where it is now. Everyone's forgotten the Half Life 2 fiasco it caused back in 2004.

I think he did show gratitude, by all accounts he kicked the butts of the cast and crew when they were disrespectful to Lucas.

But he was a classically trained actor in the elite tier, there is better drama and there are better films and its good for people to see some of that as well. Thats a responsible thing for an artist to tell someone.

>implying there isn't vidya that can make u fink
>implying capeshit is more mature than vidya as a whole
sure playing CoD and all those adolescent fantasy games are pretty cancer but stuff like spacechem exists.

I can if you really want me to, EurasianTiger

I should also mention with debt, the liberal and SJW also have massive Peter Pan Syndrome. This could be why they are fixated on spending so much on faux nerd garbage, they want to reassure themselves they are not only fitting in well with society because their peers are doing it but because they are retreating back deep in to their childhood where they believe their debt and money woes can't follow them. Unfortunately these people have dangerously, worryingly mental health and should seek help immediately.

Portal is like dark souls is like minecraft

The game is really fun but I'm embarrassed to admit I like it on the internet because of how people percieve fans of those series and because of how fanbases act in general

>a triploser making a thread about childish things

this seems like irony

Games n capeshit! Please don't upset the widdle milliemials any more when you hit too close to home
lol what a bunch of losers these days
SAD

>Oh yes dear, quite pungent
is he referring to fart pasta?

>Trumpcuck calling other people losers

Why are Star Wars and Harry Potter fans the most bitter when you have legit criticisms against their pathetic childhood series?

>user calls another user a loser
>'heh, oh the irony... *smirk* XDXD

we're all losers here you fucking idiot. you might like reddit, you can pretend you're smart and cool without being called out for the sperg you are

and yet all Sup Forums talks about capeshit, starshit, and other Hollywood schlock.
>inb4 w-we're just pretending

>say people are too obsessed with nerd culture
>makes a whole post about it
>people commenting on a post about it

This is like a fucking autism nuclear war between people who like their merchandise and people who are crying because other people like things they don't. What the fuck? If you honestly think you're better off not being in the nerd culture circlejerk, good for you, stay out of it then. Don't start a whole autismal thread about how you don't care about it and how you hate it when you're trying to prove a point about how you don't care.

The real issue is that merchandise has turned to shit and there are too many idiots who feel the need to buy merchandise they can't really give a fuck about to prove to everybody else that they love superheroes or Star Wars.

Even if this shit was never "cool" in the first place, it was at least well-made and looked decent in a collection. Even those pop vinyl things are okay to me and I can actually use shit like mugs and t-shirts. It's dumb shit like pens and badly-painted action figures that are the real problem.

tl;dr - you obviously care, you made this thread, the only real problem is bad merchandise and shitty fans

>user calls another user a loser

did you miss the part about the trip

>schlock
Okay Mike

Yup, the old "you're a loser if you like things" argument. I agree with not obsessing over this stuff too much, but does anyone honestly care if some fat nerd finds some fulfillment in a Star Wars movie?
I'm also seeing a desperate need from the people in this thread to act mature by distancing themselves from nerd culture and viciously attacking it and anyone who likes it. Which ironically is a very immature reaction and makes you look more like children than the people who you admittedly despise.

This.

Cuck

Thank you for labelling your shitposts

>be actor
>contribute to the rise of Alinskyism unwittingly your entire life
>meanwhile most game studios made whatever they wanted including a lot of fun, educational, and socially reflective stuff of all sorts, mostly without overt propaganda up until 2005 when the powers that be finally became able to understand what games were
>...blame da vidya games for everything bad in the world, most of which you've contributed to building, because you heard this conspiracy theory from a friend who heard it from a long chain of retards stemming back to one who red Seduction of the Innocent and "forgot" to fact-check or pay attention to the academic response
>succeed in sounding like an old doddering fool
>ironically, only the worst sycophants of the new generation will listen to your decrepit ass telling them what to watch, play and enjoy and why
>ironically, your hubris has grown beyond even regular spoiled Hollywood bigwig status and you take their kissassery as proof of their free-thinking genius straight up until the day you die

Solid response. It's good there are adults here.

Remember Mark Hamill's "epic" rant?

>I'm also seeing a desperate need from the people in this thread to act mature by distancing themselves from nerd culture and viciously attacking it and anyone who likes it.

This entire board.

Amazing

$50 for a shirt, a toy, some pieces of card, and a strap

Films used to be both, now they are just for entertainment.

isn't it $20? They say the value of it is $50, but the actual cost is just $20

I made 30 $ a month a year ago buying lootcrates and selling the stuff on ebay for 50$ total.

>implying all films are like this
>implying blockbusters aren't better now than they've ever been
>implying most blockbusters aren't better than most of the shit that came out in the nineties and early 2000s
>implying film hasn't actually become less outwardly commercial
>implying entertainment is bad
>implying the inherent purpose of film, to be entertaining, is bad by default

0/10

Most of this board act the same age as the people they're trying to mock.

I don't care for nerd culture stuff either but I'd rather be an adolescent pop culture addict than some cunt who tries to act superior than it all.

This reads like pasta, but on the off chance it's not; well done.
We have told god that we do not need him in the 21st century, that we have reason and logic, /science/, to explain everything.
The folly is that we still must have communion with one another, something that binds us and brings us together annually; we have replaced god with the mammon provided by that whore of Babylon that is Hollywood. We embrace and imitate, we sell our lives and our souls to have tokens that prove our devotion.
Nerd culture is today what Christianity was in the middle ages. How foolish the generations will look in time to our enlightened descendants.

the fact that you don't know where the dollar sign goes makes your claim dubious

Why are you obsessed with numales? Honestly what is the fascination with them that we have to make endless threads about their ways and mannerisms

>>a meme magazine all about lootcrate
>>portal themed advertisement stickers for lootcrate
>>a coupon to spend more money on other geek product services
>>five cent package of jellybeans

jesus

I'd wear that shirt if it was cocaine, modafinil or MDMA.
the numbers would be different though

even more cringe

I'd wear that shirt if it was ethanol because all other drugs are for sissy cucks.

It isn't but I've spoken about it here a couple times. I think lack of religion is honestly leading to the exploding of Nerd Culture in popularity. People have nowhere or no one to turn too for worship so they start worshiping the wrong kind of idols which produces bad results, see Peter Pan Syndrome.

Out of curiosity though how did you find it written?

What's cringey is that my neighbor got a tattoo of the symbol for fucking epinephrine

It's $16 + $6 shipping a month, and it gets cheaper the more months you sign up for.

loot crate, nerd case whatever is business idea that creates and fill a niche..don't blame it for nerdiness

See that's not so bad, a shirt's going to cost you 10+ bucks anyway so if you like shitty pop culture graphic tees you only need one of the other things to be decent to be getting an alright deal.

i love cringey geek shit, but holy shit i hope it implodes on itself and fast.

i agree. geek """culture""" is fucking cancer

>stop liking what I don't like and watch my shit instead

/thread

lootcrate, more like redditcrate

i bet you believe ignoring refugee stats makes refugee crimes go away too

Nah, you're a loser if you have a lootcrate subscription and shell out $20 a month on inventory cleaning. You're a fucking loser if you base your identity and personality off being a nerd and doing nerdy shit. There's a great deal of difference between liking something and telling everyone around you that you like something. You can find fulfillment in Star Wars, that's fine. But there's a fucking problem when the first thing people think about you is "Likes Star Wars a hell of a lot."

You're also a loser for using a shitty imgur meme. Go back there and jack off to cats.
>how do you know it's an imgur meme?
Because it's the easiest image hosting site to use, and there's no possible way to hide the shitty community.

>implying all the cape-posters aren't alt-righters

Alec Guinness is the ebodiment of faggotry. He fucks little boys.

>>"How disgusting"
>- Asuka Langley

lel

Why are capeshit fans absolutely devoid of taste?

To most normies anything that you play on a PC is not mainstream.

>I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States.

why is this so funny

Because it was short enough that normalfags could theoretically finish it, and just obscure enough they thought it gave them cred.

It's the same reason they all idolize Lord of the Rings when its the fucking Model T of fantasy novels.

>you need to stop living in a world of childish distractions!
>*accepts 50 million dollar check to play a wizard*

It's really weird because when was growing up nobody seemed to know what LotR was and nobody liked SW. Now I feel like a stranger in my own homeland, and there's no nerd Marine Le Pen to save us.

>all this childish hate

irony

just turn off ur brain

this i never pay for cape/nerd shit.

>>"lootcrate, more like redditcrate"
>- Anonymous

Which one of you said this?

It was me. Check my name dude, I'm Anonymous

Holy shit, can I have your autograph?

Always nice to meet a fan

>dude tu quoque lmao
I fucking hate manchildren, but the only thing dumber than manchildren is the guy who turns down money because of his gay little principles

>“They have been poison, this cultural genocide, Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”
- Alejandro Iñárritu

Good. We need a coming of age movie where Manchildren rid themselves of their childish attachments.

Lord of the Rings got a big boost in popularity during the late 60s and early 70s from the hippies and some copyright fuckery that led to cheap paperbacks getting released in the US. If you read Ursala LeGuin's review of LotR from the 50s she called it a passable imitation of Lord Dunsany.

It's quite sad really. American fantasy before the LotR revival was much more like The Witcher, as it was all written by cynical Polish-American and Norwegian-American engineers.

Who are some good authors? The only non-Tolkien rip offs I'm really familiar withare Jack Vance.