If the First Order is just a vestigious of the Empire, how could they have the resources to build the Starkiller base?

If the First Order is just a vestigious of the Empire, how could they have the resources to build the Starkiller base?

And why even build it? The Rebels destroyed the Death Star I and II and the Executor with virtually no losses. That's why no Navy has Battleships and no Army has gigantic fortress anymore.

This whole flick was a fucking tremendous calamity trainwreck.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>only one star destroyer
>only one planet size weapon that needs a sun to fire once
why are they a threat again?

>how could they have the resources to build the Starkiller base?
First Order is space USSR or North Korea. They can afford to spend 40% of their budget on military because its brutal dictatorship.

Empire was a regular state that needed to fund all shit from welfare to education.

>And why even build it?
In the movie it wiped out New Republic's navy, capitol and several planets. So clearly it was worth it.

Because apparently the New Republic is still using a poorly armed and equipped geurrilla force as its standing military.

and how did you come to that conclusion
The resistance we see in the movie is not New Republic's military

the movie was fucking shit but the geopolitical situation behind it kind of makes sense

>They can afford to spend 40% of their budget on military because its brutal dictatorship.
Even that wouldn't be enough to make it. Also USSR and KR spent a lot with welfare, just like most of dictatorships.

>In the movie it wiped out New Republic's navy, capitol and several planets. So clearly it was worth it.
>Death Star I and II needed a ridiculously hard plan to be destroyed
>Starkiller base was destroyed by the dullest way ever
kek

>In the movie it wiped out New Republic's navy, capitol and several planets. So clearly it was worth it.
Did you read this in the novel?

The only reason that would make sense to me is if they found something in the area of space they rule like the Star Forge that gave them unlimited resources for a project

Why the fuck would the New Republic not just use its regular military to crush the First Order? What's the point of plausible deniability when there are literally two governments in the universe?

It's in the movie m9.

>Why the fuck would the USA not just use its regular military to crush the Soviet Union? What's the point of plausible deniability when there are literally two superpowers on the Earth?

There was a scene of the republic's navy blowing up along with a caption about how this was their entire navy and not just part of it?

JJ wanted to just have the good guys not be the galactic establishment, which was impossible after ROTJ.

It's all idiotic aesthetics and pushing culture war memes.

Because the commies had nukes. On the other hand the republic was too pussy to get their own superweapon.

Because they would wipe out themselves as well.

That wouldn't happen in a huge galaxy.

The First Order is supposed to be some fringe extremist group you fucking dumbass

>uses the sun to fire
>that means it can only fire twice before extinguishing the sun
>apparently can't move since it is a fucking planet
>that means it was built close to the planets they wanted to destroy?

What if the rebel base happened to be on the other side of the galaxy? The whole thing was fucking stupid and I don't know why the writers had the need to make it an actual fucking planet. Just put in another death star and that's it. It's not like you didn't rip off 75% of ANH anyways.

I don't think First Order is nearly as strong as the New Republic though.

The Empire almost destroyed the Alliance with brute force, that would probavbly work against first order.

>And why even build it?

Because it's capable of shooting a death ray halfway across the galaxy in minutes and obliterate an entire star system in one shot.

I mean that kind of thing is pretty useful.

As for the resources you can always handwave that away as the base being a leftover secret project that never got completed during the times of the Empire and the First Order took over and finished it.

>I don't know why the writers had the need to make it an actual fucking planet
>not being awed by that scene comparing the size of the new death star with the previous 2 and realizing the stakes just got raised

>What if the rebel base happened to be on the other side of the galaxy?

Did you not notice that it in fact did fire across the galaxy and obliterate a whole star system there?

Did you miss that part of the movie?

>huuuuur let's bring the Empire back
>except they aren't really an empire any more nor do they have any of the power or threat
>let's make them build another Death Star anyway because it's not like we haven't seen that plan fail twice already

Nice writing, Disney. Bravo.

>The US and North Korea are literally the only two countries on Earth
>instead of just crushing North Korea, the US sends some ragtag group of civilians in pickup trucks with hunting rifles to try and overthrow North Korea
>this accomplishes jack shit and North Korea eventually develops ICBMs and nukes the US

Truly genius geopolitics

It still is a government covering multiple star systems with sizeable military.

Not fringe enough for the New Republic to risk reigniting the war.

>suns are in delicate balance between forces pushing out and gravity holding it all in

>without that balance they'll explode

>SW physics lets them drain all the energy of a sun and contain it within a planet-sized structure with no problem, and the sun doesn't explode and destroy everything within 5 light years. Instead it just goes dark

I know sci-fi often has bullshit science, but Ep. VII was just plain retarded.

Idk dude to me it looked like the star systems were pretty close to each other

>Because it's capable of shooting a death ray halfway across the galaxy in minutes and obliterate an entire star system in one shot.
The thing here is efficiency. You don't put all the eggs in the same basket.
You can build tons of smaller ships that could destroy even more planest at the same time and if you lose some battles there would be many others.

First order is not bunch of crazy gooks without any real potential. They are what's left of the Empire.

In that aspect they are closer to Germany after WW1.

empire= germany WWI

first order= germany WWII

read up on the history of germany army principles and how nazi germany tried to get back to the old strictness of Kaiser germany..

yes there resources were greatly depleted after WWI, but they got enough resources back in 20 years to fight

I don't think you're fully understanding how useful it is to obliterate a whole star system in one shot halfway across the galaxy.

The only reason the "Resistance" knew where to even find the base is due to Finn defecting.

>we can't reignite the war
>lets just ignore the fact that they're illegally occupying like a tenth of our territory
what a bunch of cucks

It's about the brave SJW against the white patriarchy racist shitlords

tbqh national leaders being bunch of cucks in similar situation does have a precedent IRL

>German reoccupation of Rhineland
>German military rearmament
>Germany occupying rest of Czechoslovakia despite the Munich treaty giving them only Sudetenland
and so on

>Battlefront 2 is about Spic/Black Female Imperial Special Forces member fighting to avenge Sheev
really makes you think about the brand's consistency then

>first order= germany WWII
So who are the jews

>implying she won't turn good by the 3rd mission, thus restoring the female minorities vs evil white empire narrative

the first female of color main character is a trump voting nazi? i'm literally shaking right now.

most of the actors, directors and producers

I do not think you understand how useful it is to spend the same resources to obliterate dozens of planets at a time with smaller ships that would not be lost if you missed some of them. This is a principle of efficiency, what rules millitary nowdays.

After the destruction of ships like Bismark and Yamato people found out that the force is on the number, not at the size.

Just study a bit of military before saying bullshit

The First Order still had access to the Death Star plans from Return of the Jedi, yes?

That one would have been indestructible had it been completed. No weak point exhaust port.

Just make it. Much less material needed for creation. Doesn't need a star to power it. Can fly in hyperspace to get to targets. Its the perfect weapon.

Nope. Have to make one 50 times bigger that can only be fired twice.

>"FUCK YOU GUYS I'LL JUST START A NEW EVEN BETTER EMPIRE OVER HERE"

There, movie over.

Zarn Consortium.

no one outside of modern europe is so cucked that they'd ignore their own territory being occupied

Are you dense or what? They shoot the weapon once, wait 12 hours and the sun is up again to power more shots. Just like in real life.

Jesus.

That's likely but if nothing else it'll give us a fair amount of #notallimperials or #justfollowingorders

>why develop nuclear weapons when few dozen of bombers loaded with incendiary ammunition can obliterate a city just as effectively

Thank you to prove my point, lad. You don't make Tsar bombs, just smaller ones.

Was the republic senate planet in the same solar system as the dingy pirate bar that anus eyes ran? How the hell did they see it explode?

I never got the purpose of the deathstar or starkiller. Surely the empire is capable of glassing a planet from simple orbital bombardment instead of investing a shit ton of resources into a huge laser? The orbital bombardment fleet accomplishes exactly the same thing without being a huge fucking target.

This is why battleships aren't a thing anymore. Starwars should be entirely carriers, small fighters and bombers, and laser-cannon ships for killing carriers and destroying cities. Why the fuck would you want to blow up a whole planet? Then what is there to rule over?

At least LoGH made Iserlohn fortress half-way make sense through magic space physics.

Yet Tsar bomb was indeed made IRL.

B-but it's smaller, we need to make it HUGE!

Just like Yamato Battleship, however now we just make destroyers.

So they occupy territory literally next to Coruscant and all that Republic has done was moving their capital to another planet?

But user, biggerer is better.

Next movie we'll have 4 connected planets with a cannon in the middle.

what if first order were bunch of retarded naziboos with wunderwaffe fetish

everyone should just watch legend of the galactic heroes instead of star wars, better in every way

>occupy
That's what they were left with after the civil war.

For whichever reason Rebellion/ New Republic did not gain control of what is now first order territory before the end of the war

Probably because of war attrition and desire to end it asap.

This. The "resistance" should be called the "government"

Couldn't republic just start producing clones again and take over those planets?

>At least LoGH made Iserlohn fortress half-way make sense through magic space physics.
That part where the other huge fortress traveled to fight Iserlohn was pretty dumb though.

I mean, wouldn't tidal waves destroy both fortresses?

LotGH is pretty much World War 1 in space, or Star Wars but far more detailed.

I'm glad to see Sup Forums is getting even more and more hostile toward TFA. Maybe there's still future to this board.

Old Republic started producing clones with healthy economy behind them. As they did not already have standing army they could afford it as well.

I like to think that New Republic is only slightly less fucked up Libya after 2011.

except space Germany wins

We've had two years in a row of SW overkill, and I am fucking sick of it

Yes we make destroyers but we haven't decided to just not make nuclear weapons, moron.

Why couldn't they just fucking adapt the Thran Trilogy of the New Jedi Order series?

Did they just want to pretend to be original due to marketing strategy despite stealing half ot ANH plot or they needed to make something light-hearted and PC?

>Implying they aren't
That speech scene right before they fired the sooper dooper Deathstar might as well have had them heiling and yelling Sieg Heil.

You're a fucking retarded redditor.

The problem with warships and weapons like Star of Death and Starkiller are the resources that you have lost if they are defeated. This is the principle of efficiency that prevents you from making warships today

Inb4: b - but was supposed to be invincible! You do not work with this shallow-minded hypothesis in the military. Someone can always see a flaw when you do not.

Ego

Every new director wants shit done HIS way.

That's why Mark Hamill's pissed off

>movie has nothing to do with race or gender
>never at any point mentioned or addressed in any sort of capacity
>Empire never demonstrates any sort of racial preferences
I fucking hate shit like this. He's just making shit up that isn't there for brownie points.

Well the Tidal Waves were fucking up Iserlohn´s aiming and since Iserlohn´s mass pulled Geiersburg liquid armor, it made it better by concentrating it towards Iserlohn

>>Empire never demonstrates any sort of racial preferences
It acutally did in the expanded universe.
The emperor despise non-human species, Mitth'raw'nuruodo was the only non-human admiral.

Funny because Disney killed it and said that everything that wasn't part of their films was a fanfic from now on.

Mas Amedda, the fucking vicerroy and emperor´s right handman was a fucking ayy

>expanded universe.
literally stopped reading right there
fanfic is not a relevant source of information

>After the destruction of ships like Bismark and Yamato people found out that the force is on the number, not at the size.

Actually the lesson was that airplanes>ships

What was Snoke doing during the Galactic Civil War?

Ok, so two blue aliens in a huge empire.
>fanfic is not a relevant source of information
It used to be canon. Before TFA The New Jedi Order was the aftermath of the OT.

>It used to be canon.
And thank god it isn't anymore.

>It acutally did in the expanded universe.
Who the fuck cares about the expanded universe? It's all fanfiction.
If he wanted that to be a thing, he very well could've written it into the movie.

It's still better than TFA, you must admit it.
> It's all fanfiction.
See

He was sitting in the tree

The writer said the Imperials are the good guys in the game's story. He said that in response to some queer asking him if the main character will join the good guys.

>It used to be canon.
And yet it was never addressed or brought up or shown in any sort of way in a movie that was supposedly about a multi-ethnic group taking on white supremacists.

It's not a military strategy. It's a political tool. It's made to subject planets into submission. Imagine if you were the only country with nukes, who would fuck with you?

Yeah, only two of the most important persons and administrators of the empire.

>It's still better than TFA
No. Expanded Universe as a whole is a contradictory, convulated and at times plain retarded mess. I mean it was not even really canon considering anyone could hardly claim it had the same importance and weight that movies have.

The way new canon works, atleast for now, is much better. While the old EU was pretty much just rubberstamped shit glued around the movies, the new canon is what it should be - the extension of the universe. This might change in few years but for now, ithat's what it is.

A.) What does it formerly being canon have to do with anything?
B.) Even if it still was-- How can you argue this was a story about race when it was never actually addressed by the film?
Like, really, I need to go read some book that may or may not be canon so I can properly put this movie in context?
This is the stupidest argument I've heard this week.

>implying Rogue One isn't totally contradictory with A New Hope too

>expecting Sup Forums to have watched movies it criticizes

the most retarded shit is

>consume a star to destroy few planets
>no more star = all the star sistem is dead
>the weapon charge is more dangerous tahn the weapon itself

>What does it formerly being canon have to do with anything?
The Emperor was racist on the old canon.
>How can you argue this was a story about race when it was never actually addressed by the film?
I didn't say it was, nigger.

how come?

Just Google it.

Well you're an amazing idiot.

All the contradictions and continuity issues are minor nitpicks like wording in several sentences that could be justified with hard enough mental gymnastics. Not something I'd call "totally contradicts"

You're thinking too hard about it, user. There's a reason the contractors discussion in Clerks was a JOKE. It's absurd to actually seriously discuss such things about a movie with space wizards.

Disney StarWars is not canon

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

the funny thing is, people ahted the prequel trilogy because it had politics

now people arguing about politics when the movie barely had none

people really don't knows what they want

> Wiki
Every film Disney has made is like Fan Fiction.