How do the sequels hold up to the first one? Are any of them even worth watching?

How do the sequels hold up to the first one? Are any of them even worth watching?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CJpQk6YAw1s
m.youtube.com/watch?v=istbjyVLqKw
youtube.com/watch?v=zo-OYwh6KHA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I liked Dead Mans Chest, not as good as the first one
Third had a cool battle scene it sucked overall
Dont bother with the fourth, except maybe for one quick scene involving Spainards

This. Watch the second then stop

1+2+3 are good

the rest are shit

>world's greatest pirate
>gets robbed by blonde bimbo Amber Heard
Dropped

Watch the first one
Then watch the second one
Only watch the intro, the battle with Davy Jones and the sinking of the HMS Endeavour of the last film (best scene)
Don't bother with the fourth film

The second and third are a single movie

That actor did a fantastic job with the role, but I can't stop myself from laughing every time I see him after The Thick of It and In The Loop

youtube.com/watch?v=CJpQk6YAw1s

I enjoyed the first three a lot. 1 is the best and very tight story. No fluff, or unnecessary scenes . 2 and 3 are very self indulgent at times, but are still very entertaining. I never got the criticism. People act like the original was high art and the sequels somehow tarnished the series. If you like the first you'll like 2 and 3.

4 a pile of dog shit. Don't bother.

Here's hoping 5 is good.

the fourth film was fine, better than the second by a margin with a decent rounded story and McShane.

NONE of the movies are worth watching. It's transformers on a boat. Complete nonsensical trash that doesn't mean anything. Complete bore of a franchise for idiots that like splosions

The second and third movies get a little dumb here and there, the third one more-so. But IMO they are still worth it.

Varying levels of quality, but all are very watchable. First is legitimately good. 2nd and 3rd are beautiful but stupid. 4th was a mistake.

You'll never think of lord Cutler Beckett the same way after having watched this:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=istbjyVLqKw

1 > 4 > 2 > 3

The second one is good. It's too long by far, but the setpieces and sword fights are great, the villain is great, and it keeps the same adventurous tone.
Flawed but good.

The third one sucks. I don't remember the fourth one at all.

some of us enjoy naval spectacles user and lord knows we aren't getting another master and commander.

>That actor did a fantastic job with the role
He sure did I thought

Two and three just weren't as entertaining. Pure commercial piggybacking. People were disappointed for an understandable if misguided reason. Depp's character had already run out of juice when PotC1 ended. And they've strung that character along as the tentpole for four more movies. No wonder it's sucked

I am still pleasantly surprised that the first one was a genuinely good movie. We need more pirate kino, tbqhwy fampai. This and Black Sails isn't enough.

The second and third ones are pretty bad because they went in a crazy direction with the story. Curse of the Black Pearl was a fun, self-contained adventure movie, and the sequels turned the series into an overblown drama about demigods and international pirate conspiracy rings. They have some good moments, but if you liked the first, you might not like them much. IMO, the third is the worst of the series.

I actually liked On Stranger Tides more than the other two sequels. It went back to being a fairly simple adventure story, and I appreciated that. I only saw it once, and I don't remember much about it, but it was pretty enjoyable for what it was. If it hadn't followed two awful sequels it might have gotten a better reception.

>3 are very self indulgent at times, but are still very entertaining. I never got the criticism. People act like the original was high art and the sequels somehow tarnished the series. If you like the first you'll like 2 and 3.
untrue

3 feels way different, like they were trying to go "epic and serious" with it and it doesn't work at all. It just feels dull and generic.

it's just....good business?

I hated the idea of a "pirate council" in the third one with all the main pirate characters being members. What kind of shit is that? When was this organized? When did they become members? Why was this not mentioned in either of the first two films?

In the first film Jack was a down on his luck pirate who'd lost his ship, when did he become a "pirate lord" or something? And Barbossa too, he was just Jack's first mate who mutinied, and it was clear they hadn't met since that mutiny years prior.

And how are pirates governing themselves all of a sudden? It seems to defeat the purpose of being pirates.

Davy Jones is absolutely awesome in the second film and then gets ruined in the third.

I couldn't stay interested in 4. I tried to watch it twice. Two is "watchable" but disappointing compared to how solid #1 was. Three sucks. Five looks like it's going to be a stinker, too. Way too much forced and unfunny Depp in the trailer. Depp was a goof in the first movie, but his character still had some edgy pirate to him. In every following movie he was just a big clown the entire time. It's boring.

The only part I liked about that was that Jacks dad appears and ruthlessly enforces pirate code
The third was a mess, with all the convoluted betrayals and the Calypso plot was not needed at all
All she did was create a big storm
It also bugged me how they acted like the pirates were some great force of good and freedom, yeah the British Trading Company were dicks but that hardly makes pirates heroes

>They're trying to end our way of life! We won't be able to plunder, pillage, rape and massacre anymore!

Absolutely correct

Its "just turn your brain off lmao" kind of fun

I hated Will Turner and Elizabeth in the first three films and that Bible thumper in the fourth one. Blackbeard was kinda likeable (that dude from Game of Thrones with the Hound, not Jonathan Pryce who was also in Game of Thrones and a James Bond movie). Beckett and Norrington and Barbossa were quite likeable alongside Jack himself. Just a pity the story focused on Will and Elizabeth's love story which I hated

>Quick lets release the pagan deity that has no reason to like us!
>You know the one specifically known to not be trustworthy that we bound for turning the sea into an unsafe hell

Too late, I already betrayed you and also the previous two people I had betrayed on a prior occasion! And I've countered your own upcoming betrayal by betraying you twice in one scene!

>Hey what about Blackbeard? Maybe we should ask for his intervention
>What do you mean the writers haven't thought of him yet

1>2>4>3

this is accurate

4 wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be

Also why was Blackbeard not a member given he was supposed to be one of the most notorious pirates?

Watch the second for Davey Jones.

youtube.com/watch?v=zo-OYwh6KHA

DUUU
UUUU
FEAHR
DEATHHH

if you liked the first you'll probably find all the rest at least watchable. They are ordered in descending quality

2 - still pretty good. ignore the critics, they're idiots who complain about not being able to follow the plot
3 - gets extremely bloated, about an hour of it could be easily cut. if you thought 2 was at least decent you should watch this because its mostly more of the same: the east india company, william becket, davey jones, etc.
4 - i dont know why they felt like they needed to add a not-Will Turner and his totally accessory love story. It's the weakest so far imo, I've only seen it once and don't really want to watch it again, while I've even seen 3 several times.

he looks like a character that doesn't give a fuck for other pirates

Blackbeard was... different. Even by pirate standards he was feared. Still doesn't excuse the fact this was one of many plotholes

4 redeemed itself at the end when Jack left that bitch on the island.

Dead Man's Chest is almost as good as the first, despite some sloppy writing. At World's End has much sloppier writing, but is held together by Verbinski's incredible direction and handling of the setpieces. The fourth one is only worth watching for Ian McShane, but even then I'd skip it unless you really want some more Pirates.

Or rather, the pirate council was some bullshit they made up for the third film that didn't make any sense.

yeah, that makes more sense.

I didn't understand one thing here
"you are not dead or dying"

What? Are other pirates here dead? Why Turner is different?

I literally can't care about Turner and his bitch and the third one played up the "stronk girl" a bit too much. Worst one by far. God, that marriage scene was awful.

will wasn't wounded/frozen/etc whatever from having to sit on a wrecked boat for a few hours before jones came aboard

he clearly stood out by not shivering or bleeding and his clothes not being tatters

> The pirates don't want to become privateers under king George because they want freedom

> Entire codex with pirate laws gets introduced which defines their sense of morality and turns them into the good guys and the government-based East India Trading Company and the Royal Navy into the baddies

Every pirate on the ship was collected as they were dying or dead and given a chance to not have to go to the after life if they served on Jones crew
Turner volunteered without having been dead because his dad was on the ship, so he can just basically leave

Most awful scenes I dont in the theater say to myself
>This is awful
That scene was bad enough to make me say that

they're shit