/Christianity/Thread #3:Eastern Orthodox Edition

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Orthodox_Church

religionfacts.com/eastern-orthodoxy
>Eastern Orthodoxy, began as the eastern half of Christendom, the site of the former Byzantine Empire.

>Mostly in Mediterranean Countries and Russia

>Culturally, the Greek East has always tended to be more philosophical, abstract and mystical in its thinking, whereas the Latin West tends toward a more pragmatic and legal-minded approach. (According to an old saying, "the Greeks built metaphysical systems; the Romans built roads.")

BEFORE AND AFTER MEAL GRACE

>Eastern Orthodox (before eating) – "O Christ God, bless the food and drink of Thy servants, for holy art Thou, always, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen."

>Eastern Orthodox (after eating) – After the meal, all stand and sing: We thank Thee, O Christ our God, that Thou hast satisfied us with Thine earthly gifts; deprive us not of Thy Heavenly Kingdom, but as Thou camest among Thy disciples, O Saviour, and gavest them peace, come unto us and save us.

Other urls found in this thread:

biblegateway.com/passage/?version=KJV&search=Matthew 1
dacc.edu/assets/pdfs/PCM/merechristianitylewis.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=28x_-HX08qU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>The religious authority for Eastern Orthodoxy is not a Patriarch or the Pope as in Catholicism, nor the Bible as in Protestantism, but the scriptures as interpreted by the seven ecumenical councils of the Church. The Orthodox Church is a fellowship of "autocephalous" (Greek for self-headed) Churches, with the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople being the only autocephalous head who holds the title primus inter pares, meaning "first among equals" in Latin.

Luke 12:7
But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

Isaiah 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord.

Luke 21:18
But there shall not an hair of your head perish.

Today I will remind them.

>apostolic succession is valid because tradition establishes it is
>tradition is valid because church authorities affirm it to be
>church authorities are valid because of apostolic succession

I Trust in You, O Lord. You are my God. My times are in your hand.
- Psalm 31: 14-15

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord,
plans to prosper you, and not to harm you, plans to give
you a hope and a future.
- Jeremiah 29:11

This is the day which the Lord hath made; let us rejoice and
be glad in it.
- Psalm 118:24

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness and
all these things shall be added unto you.
- Matthew 6:33

Be strong and of good courage, fear not, nor be afraid . . . for
the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not
fail thee, nor forsake thee.
- Deuteronomy 31:6

>you were born too late to raze 60 giant walled cities and wipe out their armies and take their cattle and gold back to your camp

>you were born too late to watch God throw huge boulders from the sky on to your enemies as you charge them down watching the fear in their eyes

>you were born too late to have God bring your enemies out to your feet so you can kill their kings

If Exodus is a myth - hence all stories in Torah what are the implications for Christianity?

>you were born just in time to see God vex and punish His enemies

>you will probably live long enough to see the Son of God come to collect you and take you away from the filthy wicked goyim who vex your bones daily

>you will come back with Him and break the goyim and forcibly convert them to worship the true living God

Feels good, man.

Get saved and you get to witness something close to that at the end.

>if you ask Lord Jesus nicely, you may get to swim in the blood of God's enemies while He protects you from being tainted in their unclean blood
I can't even express these feels.

Romans 15:7-16 (Epistle)

Therefore receive one another, just as Christ also received us, to the glory of God.
Now I say that Jesus Christ has become a servant to the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made to the fathers,
and that the Gentiles might glorify God for His mercy, as it is written: “For this reason I will confess to You among the Gentiles, And sing to Your name.”
And again he says: “Rejoice, O Gentiles, with His people!”
And again: “Praise the LORD, all you Gentiles! Laud Him, all you peoples!”
And again, Isaiah says: “There shall be a root of Jesse; And He who shall rise to reign over the Gentiles, In Him the Gentiles shall hope.”
Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Now I myself am confident concerning you, my brethren, that you also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.
Nevertheless, brethren, I have written more boldly to you on some points, as reminding you, because of the grace given to me by God,
that I might be a minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering of the Gentiles might be acceptable, sanctified by the Holy Spirit.

you know goyim means non-jew right.

Does orthodoxy venerate mary in the same way or to the same degree as the western Catholic church does?

>you know goyim means non-jew right.
Goyim are the filthy heathens who don't know God and who God doesn't know.

Any Christian is no longer a goyim, but a child of the living God.

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

And by the way, Judah is only 1/12th of the tribes of Israel. The children of Naphtali, Gad, Zebulon & Ephraim aren't Jews, and they aren't goyim.

Anyone have some good articles, videos on homosexual couples being garbage parents and coming from abuse themselves?

Is it bad that i wish hope and pray for this? Not that suffering dosnt produce the best character improvements.... But im tired of the actual holocaust on us... Sucks getting beat..

the Orthodox Church believes that Mary,, could indeed have sinned, but chose not to. In the Roman Catholic understanding, it seems that Mary, who according to Roman doctrine had been exempted from the guilt of original sin [the Orthodox do not accept that humans share the guilt of the first sin but, rather, only the consequences] before all eternity, and thus could not have sinned.

We aren't getting beat. Being trespassed against is something that God uses to help us to develop strength, wisdom and to allow us to exercise His statutes*.

I don't know if it's bad, but personally I'm tired of seeing God mistreated and rejected, and I'm tired of this upside-down world being abused by clowns and unclean liars.

Even if we forgive people, God still has enemies, and He's already laid out that He will kill them. I'd just like to be there when He does. I hope I can help :(

Matthew 3:3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Micah 6:8
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

Hosea 6:6 For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

Hosea 12:6 Therefore turn thou to thy God: keep mercy and judgment and wait on thy God continually.

Exodus 15:3 The Lord is a man of war: the Lord is his name.
John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Youve stated my feelings better. I know we lose the fight but not the war. I agree that i hate seeing Gods word shit on and distorted.

>I'm tired of seeing God mistreated and rejected
Even though things are getting increasingly weird and bad, I get the sense more people are seeing what's coming and deciding to get on the right side. It's one of the things that keeps me hopeful.

Let me start by saying im not of any denomination. I lead bible study with my family and that is our church. But i feel God telling me to go to the community and go to a church.

Im not sure if i can agree that mary was sinless. I really only accept that jesus was the only sinless one of us. Ive already accepted that no church will be perfect.

Do you do the hail marys and all that? Im not big onthe catholic mary worship

May God bless you. It's very hard to forgive people sometimes, but it's worth it, we must try to. And to pray for people who hate us and persecute us.

Do you realize that people like George Soros, despite them laying traps for people, are actually just condemning themselves? They need God, it's just incredibly difficult to pray for people you know are doing wicked things.

Who is God going to be pleased with?
Someone whose works are forgiveness and mercy?
or
Someone who pays other people to cause strife, violence and death and to imagine every type of evil?

They make our lives harder, but God gives us opportunities for good works in their evil. To forgive them and pray for good things.

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Im seeing this but it looks like people are going every direction but Christ's. Islam is ramping up. New age. "science". All growing.

I hear China is having a christian growth.

Lol Muslims are going to have a rough time.

>Culturally, the Greek East has always tended to be more philosophical, abstract and mystical in its thinking, whereas the Latin West tends toward a more pragmatic and legal-minded approach. (According to an old saying, "the Greeks built metaphysical systems; the Romans built roads.")

Hmm... What about the issue of divorce then ?
Still a huge no-no for Roman Catholics, whereas it is somehow 'tolerated' by Orthodox Christians.

I see people like soros and i see my grandpa. A heart that God has given over to itself. He used to hate christians...and i thought he was crazy for years with what he said about jews... He got sent to korea and never forgave the government that sent him. Im sure he saw some horros because he would never talk about it. Mom said he was a clown professionallly before he left. I could never imagine it.

do u wanna explain yourself?

If I understand correctly, most people won't be saved in the end. In that case, it would be normal to see more fleeing toward folly than to Christ. But at least they have the sense to search for something, and there's still time for them to figure out what that something should be.

Sup Forums used to be about the last place you'd even want to admit being Christian on. Now we have these kinds of threads and people regularly expressing curiosity.

So I'm on the way out of an edgy atheist phase. Do some of you feel people are just picking up Christianity for le ebin crusades so they can save their shitty lifestyles? At the moment people just seem to be anti-Islam but not willing to reflect. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic.

I only became a Christian because I wanted to know the truth and started researching Freemasonry and all the hand-rubbing phantoms behind the curtain.

I smiled when I found God after looking for Him, and then saw in His book that I'd find God if I looked for Him. It was just an affirmation of the truth, manifested.

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

biblegateway.com/passage/?version=KJV&search=Matthew 1
Go and get saved. See you in another Christian thread (hopefully as a brother).

ive always been a christian

>tradition
well there's your problem
>apostolic succession
is not a tradition
it's a self-referencing fictional narrative without basis in fact because there is no body currently existing

a christian is still counted as a goyim because they're not a jew. that's literally the definition of the word.

i have a pic just for this

Exodus 20:2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

13 Thou shalt not kill.

14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

15 Thou shalt not steal.

16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

>that's literally the definition of the word.
Goyim means nation, i.e. not an Israelite.

I have the perfect book for you if your coming out of atheism. Its a short read. Author is very good.

dacc.edu/assets/pdfs/PCM/merechristianitylewis.pdf

I feel like Ive been partially doing that. I was confirmed Catholic but I've been an atheist for a long time. I still believe in the strength spirit and soul of man, but I've been doubting my atheism. The rich history and traditions are romantic for sure, the stronghold against moral decay and the growth of friendship, and community that the church brings is great. Not to mention it's a shield against Sunni Islam. And I'm still doubting my atheism with the Pope being a complete idiot and making a mockery of the church with his Tumblr nonsense.

I'm shifting around between catholicism, atheism and protestantism currently. Atheism because doubt, catholicism because I've grown to enjoy the Latin masses and how it's helped me, and protestantism because it fits... Me more, the individualistic nature really fits more with how I am, but I'm still drawn to catholicism. I'm hiding it from my agnostic girlfriend. It feels weird praying in secret.

Anyway these threads have helped me. I know some people are just here for feeling like they have a sense of belonging and I don't know of if God cares about the motive behind your belief in him but these threads have really encouraged me to come to peace with myself. Hopefully I'm not sure consciously being contrarian.

Back to learning the Rosary

Orthodoxy has widespread use of icons while Protestantism have few if any and the Catholic Church has some but not as widespread as Orthodox Christianity.
Orthodoxy and Catholicism are closely related in their means of salvation through the Sacraments and through the passion, death, and resurrection of our Lord while non-orthodox believers hold that it is through faith we are saved apart from any works and that it is through Christ’s death and resurrection.

Attributing anime girls to orthodoxy is heresy because your conclusion that anime girls are representative of femininity is blasphemy towards gods already perfectly created female archetype.

Stop making fucking substitutes for the real thing you fucking weeb autists.

Why do people think Jews are God's chosen people? They are only 1 of 12 tribes of chosen people.

There are only 12 entrances to New Jerusalem; 12 gates, one for each tribe of Israel.

There's no secret entrance called "goyim gate".

Anyone who wants to be a child of God joins His people. The people who God has a covenant with; Abraham, Isaac & Jacob (a person and the descendants of his 12 sons).

And as it stands, Jews have a vain and dead religion. They worship God in vain, and are cursed for rejecting God's only begotten son. The only way for Jews to be saved is to accept Lord Jesus, and thus is no longer a Jew but a Christian, i.e. God's chosen people.

Christians = spiritual Israel.

Daily Reminder for the Orthodoxy:
Masturbation is a distortion to your sexuality, meaning it is not deus vult

Yes, this is true but real Christians are at this point a small percentage of the whole.

Thank you for that, mate.

>I'm hiding it from my agnostic girlfriend
Dont uneven the yoke. Use Christ to bring you together. Ive been married for 7 years. We use God as our basis for friendship and love. Any fights and we both turn to prayer very quickly. Without God I can for sure tell you that we probably wouldnt be nearly as close as we are now. If she resists or leaves you for it then its probably for the better.
Dont hide your faith. Just because you cant argue your faith entirely yet because of what you dont know dosnt mean your not right.

God wants us humble in nature and service but loud and proud in spirit and praise.

I don't blame people for nopeing out on RC because of the current pope. I can't stand that guy and he seriously gives me the creeps.

But I was raised RC, my family is RC, and I'm not learned enough to see the Vatican as more than an inherently falable institution of man. I have yet to come across sufficient reason to convert.

Yeah Orthodoxy aint for me then.

Sucks that the protie churchs all have things like gays and women leaders though...

its bc ur a jew, it says it in ur id

Orthodoxy prohibits pants for women and fashion in general.
Orthodoxy also prohibits television and computers, true real orthodoxy is incredibly militant in its beliefs.

The road to heaven is narrow and not often traveled friend. We were only supposed to be a small percentage to begin with.

Remeber the seed sowing parable. The word will only take root in a few choice places.

3 Then He spoke many things to them in parables, saying: “Behold, a sower went out to sow. 4 And as he sowed, some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds came and devoured them. 5 Some fell on stony places, where they did not have much earth; and they immediately sprang up because they had no depth of earth. 6 But when the sun was up they were scorched, and because they had no root they withered away. 7 And some fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up and choked them. 8 But others fell on good ground and yielded a crop: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. 9 He who has ears to hear, let him hear!”

Yes, Mary (Panagia in Greek, meaning most holy one) is a central figure. Not that it replaces Jesus or the Trinity but still a major figure.

thats better than a get

I can agree with that. I just dont like veneration of anyone but Christ in any way and I believe in Faith Alone salvation (i was never formally baptized with water or at church but was baptized with the spirit). Found Jesus through the radio.

I heard that about China too. But haven't found anything to back it up.

How are things in the land of Olives and Feta?

I wanna say I saw it on drudge but now even searching for it through bing dosnt turn anything up... I hope their government takes issue with the more pressing islam problem before the Christian one

The Chinese are very radical Buddhists, watch what happens when they invade Russia, all of the Christians will be executed en masse and Christianity will be banned.

Wouldnt be their first time to do so.

The same. Unemployment and 'bail out'. Nothing big going on. Maybe calm before the storm.
We had some turkish defectors from the recent coup and Turkey wants them back. We'll see how it goes.

I also wanted to add.

Something else that turns me off from Christianity sometimes is really just other Christians. Like the mainstream deists or incredibly innocent and sheltered people. Just their behavior can be very cringey. It makes it hard to watch videos when I research faith

Chinese Christians, I don't think will be a problem. They already have a problem with muslim Uighurs. Some of them even fight for isis.

Thats why I dont go to church. Maybe its the autism or shit social skills. I'm not a fan of the super Jesus people. I love Jesus and will sing his praises all day but a band that only play one song sucks.

>tfw it was shitty praise music that put me off Christ all through middle/high school.
I came back obviously, but it just wasn't even remotely enjoyable. Everyone looking at me rude-like when I wouldn't sing, everyone looking at me funny-like when I tried to.

Absent from Flesh is some top-tier praise tunes though.

This
you dont need to be in a stone building with a bunch of people to pay ur respects to any god
that is just a transparent business for less than intelligent humanoid specimens

If Exodus is a myth - hence all stories in Torah what are the implications for Christianity?

What's the point of the narrative?

You don't need any of the Book of Exodus to understand the word of Christ.

He suffered so you wouldn't have to. A bunch of old jews skittering out of Egypt and then complaining for half a decade doesn't change that.

I like Hank Hills take on it.

Your not making Christianity any better and your just making rock and roll worse.

youtube.com/watch?v=28x_-HX08qU
I have never had to embed a video how does this shit work?

This is the only worship song I like

The Exodus isnt a a myth though...

So it's all about Christ just a philosophy? A beautiful lie?

If the covenants in Torah are fictional Jesus sacrifice has no meaning - since the sacrifice has meaning only in the context of Law and its implications, and since Jesus had a trait which qualified him for every single covenant as a man - He fulfilled all of them.... but if it's fake - Torah and covenants - then Jesus was just either a fabricate story or fake regardless and not divine.

>The Exodus isnt a a myth though...

Provide archeological proof - do you think I would claim it was a myth if there was any?

So you dont believe the jews left egypt? You know thats what the Exodus is right? The mass leaving of egypt.

Proof? The jews being located where they are is pretty good.

Exodus
noun
a going out; a departure or emigration, usually of a large number of people:

Its just the story of them leaving. If your mad about land claims and all that, that is located in Genesis.

Would you consider the crusades to be a success?

Which one is your favorite?

So you don't have any proof, I didn't expect you to have any anyhow - if there were any lots of things would've changed - and they would have been easy to find since it's a game changer... it confirms God and Jesus divinity and all that.

Do you believe Noahs ark was a myth? How about the Ark of the Covenant?

There is no evidence of them either...

Cradle Orthodox here. The theology is good; what I don't like though are some of the cradle Orthodox who treat it more as a social club than anything else

>muh Greek heritage
>muh we invented democracy
>muh 6 goyillion years ago we did X

I mean I'm half Greek myself but even I sometimes just think...bruuuuh.

Further more. what about these? There is no evidence of these either
The parting of the Red Sea
Elijah and the 99 prophets of Baal
Job
The miracles of Jesus.
The 10 Commandments
The revelation
You know they never found Jesus's body... Kinda sketchy if you ask me...

Of course Noah Ark is a myth, a global flood is impossible with the amount of water on earth and based on dimensions from the bible 65k animals that fit biblical description would have ot fit each ( including dinosaurs ofc ) into 0.6 cubic meter of space, also some salt water species of fish cannot survive in fresh water and vice versa.

Let's not forget that supposedly in 40 days from holes in earth and from rain 3 times the existing amount of water right now would have to magically appear... and for a period of 12 months each animal would be stored in 0.6 cubic meter of space with no space considered for food..

After that kangaroos would have to swim back to Australia without dying supposedly.

Are you christian? Why post this heresy?

Christians are stuck in bronze age mentality and see the world trough their myths? ?? I didn't even know.

That's what puts me off. I'm going to convert eventually but I'd really prefer if there was a Western Rite church near me, none in my state. No offense but I really don't give a shit about Greece or Russia or sticking it to the West.

I became agnostic for a while because of my parents' church, they're very conservative but also very modern/Protestant. The structure of the service (and I'm assuming most non-denominational churches) was
>couple of songs from praise band
>announcements/prayer
>more songs
>pre-communion reflection, sometimes a scripture reading
>communion
>boring motivational speech aka "sermon"
>closing song

Some things I learned there were that Catholics are idolaters, are not Christians, and are going to hell for worshiping Mary and making have your sins forgiven by a priest. People in the Amazon or anywhere else who have never heard of Christ still go to hell for not being Christian. Their sanctuary is also a basketball court, and there's no Christian imagery in the building, not even a cross. As a high schooler I was in the youth band, and was chastised along with everyone else for not jumping around like a faggot and getting into the music, and was told if I can't get into it that I must not be very Christian. My parents would probably lose their shit if I told them I'm not a creationist and don't believe most of the stuff in the Old Testament happened, although I'm guessing there's people like that in every form of Christianity.

One of the most important things in Christianity is the ability to read between the lines or putting it in a more simple words - using your own head.

What guy on picrelated was fighting against?

What he uncovered and tried to teach his students?

What his enemies were doing all this time to to decimate that?

If there's an Antiochian or OCA parish near you, then you could go to that. In my experience they're full of anglo converts. I go to an Antiochian parish myself.

Yeah there's an OCA nearby I'm going to go to. I'd prefer the Western liturgy but not being the only non-Greek/eastern European is good enough. I'm kind of cheating, waiting until my fiancee and I get married next year. She's not Christian and we live together so I know that wouldn't fly lol. I wasn't religious until we were already engaged.

Well, I'm sure you wouldn't listen to me if I rebuked you on that, so I'll just urge you to make that marriage happen ASAP. I'll be praying for your journey, man.

I- I'm trying to quit, user.
But it's hard.
Constantly.

>I believe in Faith Alone salvation
James 2:14-26

Are you me?

I remember kids in grade school thought I worshiped Zeus.

I've been rebuked plenty for it lol, thank you for your prayers though.

She was raised Jewish and was an atheist when I met her, I rubbed off on her and she at least believes in God now. I didn't really believe in God before I met her, I was extremely anti-semitic and had some sexuality/gender issues. Meeting her saved me from all of that and I saved her from her psycho Jewish stepmom. We live on opposite sides of the country and randomly met on Omegle. I don't know how us living together before marriage plays into it but I'm convinced that us meeting wasn't a coincidence. We stopped having sex until we get married at least.

yes