Who was the last player in any sport to enter the pros with a lot of hype and managed to live up to expectations?

who was the last player in any sport to enter the pros with a lot of hype and managed to live up to expectations?

Lebron, Luck, Strasburg, AD, Correa, etc. do not count due to expectations

Rodgers, Westbrook, Harden, KD?, Brady, Trout, etc. do not count due to lack of hype

Cam Newton was the most recent Heisman winner to have success. He didn't have as much hype as guys like RGIII or Tebow, and he's had a solid career, great but not amazing.

You now remember Chris Weinke, Eric Crouch, Jason White, and Troy Smith all won the Heisman since 2000.

>Luck

RG3 went above and beyond but his glass bones and paper skin ended him. John Wall was hyped Kyrie was hyped. Top 5 Nba picks usually pan out. MLB and NFL are a wash though

adding to this, who was the last real NBA bust? greg oden? that was over a decade ago

MKG
Derrick Williams
Anthony Bennett

Markelle Fultz

>Lebron, . . . do not count due to expectations
Wat? How old are you? LeBron had a ton of hype and lived up to it by being the GOAT. He's a perfect example of what you're talking about

Why wouldn't Lebron count? He seems like a perfect answer to your question... more hype than any player ever, and yet still ends up becoming one of the 3 best players in NBA history

Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews

>lebron
>didnt have happen

are you fucking kidding me? espn was covering his fucking high school basketball games on friday nights and they had him in all the magazines. Lebron was the only person in the last 2 decades to come in with height and succeed it

also KD came with a little hype too. not lebron hype but he still had it

I forgot about bennett so I'll give you that. but Derrick Williams? he wasn't hyped like other pics have been, he had lackluster carrer but I didnt expect him to become a superstar or anything.
we shall see but you may be right

sssshhhh hes excluding all the ones that make him wrong

Petter Northug and Johannes H. Klæbo in cross country skiing. Gregor Schlierenzauer in ski jumping, probably Marius Lindvik in the coming years.

Ski jumping's the odd case since rarely do the best talents ever emerge from the juniors. Klemens Muranka, Maciej Kot, Cene Prevc, Vladimir Zografski, Andreas Wank, Philip Sjoen, Nejc Dezman, Mika Laitinen, Ville Larinto....

based Myles Garrett will be one in a couple of years

>finland

Lionel Messi

>hyped as the next MJ
>3-5 in the Finals

shit, whatever happened to Sjoeen? he had that one great Summer GP and then fell off the map, haven't heard of him in a while. did he completely FUBAR his knee?

I think he hasn't even competed after 2016. Probably injuries leading to lack of motivation :( He was a beast.

Also forgot the greatest talent in ski jumping in the 21th century - Mateusz Rutkowski. Was supposed to become the greatest ski jumper in the world in 2004 and after that, totally fell off the map. One of Poland's greatest shames.

these

also zeke elliott.

Sidney Crosby

Peyton Manning.

As a Kobe fan I always doubted Lebron but there will be no one with more pressure than he had coming to the NBA.

LeBron is in a class of his own.

I can't think of any other player that was expected to become the greatest ever when he was 16 then actually managed to become that.

As far as I know he's the only one in history.

That's 8 times in the finals. 7 consecutive. With no Phil Jackson and no Scottie Pippen (all time great defender teammate).

MJ couldn't even go 4 consecutive times. He tried, though. Couldn't do it. Shaq cockblocked him in 1995.

This. Adidas and Nike were buying him cars, holding presentations with rap songs written about Lebron, buying billboards in Akron...when he was 17. And the CEO of Reebok literally handed him a check for $50 million.