Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lJSd2hJLn2g
youtube.com/watch?v=Qpx3bi_kirM
youtube.com/watch?v=3c8DKV_wd1c
youtube.com/watch?v=qxiWSxFHGJ4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Thread theme:

Some carry-over discussion:

Do the Daleks retain any mystique? An user isn't feeling the McGann audios as much as others, what's the consensus on the early monthlies? Are the only great Dalek audio stories the stories that don't feel like "Dalek stories?"

>Thread theme:

Oops! I meant youtube.com/watch?v=lJSd2hJLn2g

I'm not a fan of the main range Eight stuff either, the Dark Eyes stuff is fantastic though.

As a fanfic writer, I have to say Dalek stories are my least favorite to write. The Daleks are an enemy that don't deliberate, don't argue, and should really kill the Doctor immediately when they meet him.

They're so direct, that they're hard to write interestingly if you do a normal "Dalek" story.

8 has such a diverse set of ranges that people have a lot of differing rankings. Me personally, my enjoyment of his main stuff (so not including Mary Shelley or Shada or his CDNM story and stuff like that) goes
8s Monthlies>Dark Eyes 1-4>EDAs S4>Doom Coalition 3&4>rest of the EDAs>Doom Coalition 1&2

>Doom Coalition 1&2
Why did it have to be so shit ;_;

When do 8's monthlies get really good, in your opinion.

Out of those two sets I only remember The Red Lady.

>They're so direct, that they're hard to write interestingly if you do a normal "Dalek" story.

Someone please help Briggs understand this

I know :( "The Eleven" was a good start, but then...jeez. Helen is such a failure of a companion.

Scherzo and The Natural History of Fear are my favourites. You need to listen to Neverland and Zagreus to understand them though.

I loved Seasons of Fear and The Chimes of Midnight.

The Divergent Arc has some other fun stuff like The Next Life (pure Gary Russell lunacy), Caerdroia, etc.

Terror Firma was really good.

In general I just liked the more experimental vibe of the monthlies, and Charley/8's relationship, compared to the much more standard storytelling his other ranges traditionally get.

I prefer Lucie to Charley but I prefer the main range to the EDAs so far. Only on season 2 but none of the stories really grabbed me except Horror of Glam Rock.
I just noticed the end of their names would usually be swapped round. Lucie -> Lucy, Charley -> Charlie.

>An user isn't feeling the McGann audios as much as others, what's the consensus on the early monthlies?
Of course there is no consensus. But here's the objective ranking:

>SIdesteps (Frobisher, Benny)
>Six/Evelyn arc
>Eight/Charley (pre-C'rizz) arc
>Five/Peri/Erimem arc
>Five/Nyssa standalones
>Six/Mel standalones
>Seven/Ace/Hex arc
>other random standalones
>Eight/Charley/C'rizz arc
>Seven/Ace arc

Also, the Dalek Empire stealth pilot scattered across all four Doctors over 3 years is mostly crap, so you can't blame the four arcs it crosses for those stories.

As much as people hyped up the EDAs, they never really grabbed me. S4 is the closest they got, but I still feel like they fumbled their big idea there, and S4 is remembered more for its shockingness than any actual quality, IMO. But S4 definitely has the strongest arc and purpose and it's the closest the range came to really clicking with me. There are bits of it that are really fantastic. Bits.

I prefer Miranda > Molly > Liv > Anji > Fitz > Sam > Charley > Lucie
No opinion on C'rizz or Grace or Compassion.

I just woke up faggit, and I'm not too familiar most with classic who

Without ranking them, what a hug from each of the Doctors would be like:

1: Does those weird quick half-hugs where you only use one arm and you pat the other person on the back twice. A hug you might give a coworker.
2: Might cling to you in a tense moment, but won't really hug you.
3: They're brief, but they're always sincere.
4: They're unpredictable and more of a tackle than an actual hug.
5: He gets incredibly flustered if you try to hug him, might try to get away.
6: Won't initiate them, but secretly hopes you'll give him one. They're surprisingly gentle and he'll pretend that he doesn't like it.
7: Aint got time for that gay shit.
8: He is soft, they're comfy and warm, the definition of the perfect hug.
9: Only gives hugs in the heat of the moment, maybe squeezes a little too hard.
10: Incredibly enthusiastic, might lift you into the air at some point. Absolutely starved for any kind of contact, so you'll be the one who lets go first.
11: Stronger than he looks and they go on slightly too long, but it's the thought that counts.
12: Won't initiate hugs, awkwardly tenses up and doesn't know what to do with his hands if you hug him.

The EDAs were too much of a conscious attempt to write something halfway between NuWho and Classic (or early Big Finish) Who.

Which is fine as an idea, but pushing that idea didn't leave room for experimenting in other ways, the way the monthlies with him so often had done.

>Then Daleks roll in, with no mistique, no motive beside war and no sensible way to defeat them but naked violence.
Conniving daleks are at least a bit more interesting. Power of the Daleks, for instance. Death to the Daleks also creates an interesting situation as the planet saps their weapons of power, and they form an alliance with the Doctor (that nobody expects to hold). And Genesis of the Daleks is very good, though the daleks, themselves, show up late, and are more of a symbol of destruction than anything else, with all the drama surrounding Davros and the warring factions. So you can definitely do interesting things with daleks, but overall, I feel they're an impediment.

Two would definitely hug. One wouldn't.

>Have you listened to all of the audios solid up to Time of the Daleks?
I've listened to all of the main range up to that point, yes, and a bunch of ones here and there ahead of it too. I'm filling in the gaps currently.

>Honestly, as a big fan of Eight and Charley, if you didn't like Storm Warning, Stones of Venice, or Seasons of Fear, they're probably aren't going to grow on you.
Storm Warning was the first audio I listened to so that was a pretty positive experience. Interesting you mention Stones of Venice though, I didn't find that particularly good and don't often see people praising it.

I'm still going to listen all of the main range but I am starting to think that maybe I just don't like 8 that much.

I'm glad most of the stories you listed are ones I haven't hard before. I've been looking forward to Scherzo for a long time.

>1: Does those weird quick half-hugs where you only use one arm and you pat the other person on the back twice. A hug you might give a coworker.
You fool, I've already stopped reading. I wouldn't be surprised if we've seen Hartnell give more hugs than any other Doctor and they looked quite nice.

Go to bed, Lance.

>GOAT: Fitz, Benny (and yes I get the irony of listing Benny as an 8 companion right after "Go to bed, Lance"), Charley, Mary, Izzy, Miranda
>Good: Compassion, Destrii, Molly, Lucie
>Meh: Fey, Samson & Gemma, Anji, Trix, Grace
No thanks: C'rizz, Liv
Please no: Staci & Ssard, Sam

Oh yeah, Benny over everyone. But I don't really count her as a companion any more after she got her entire range.

>Helen isn't even on the list

Then fix it, goddamnit. I'm not going to pretend like I'm the epitome of classic!who knowledge, I've only seen a handful of Hartnell's episodes. Help me, /who/.

Helen isn't on my list either because I temporarily forgot she existed.

I didn't even remember I had this gif. Look at how loving that hug is. Look at it

1 is in top three best hugger for sure

>HE DID THAT FUCKING PATTING THING THOUGH JUST LIKE I SAID

>And Genesis of the Daleks is very good, though the daleks, themselves, show up late, and are more of a symbol of destruction than anything else, with all the drama surrounding Davros and the warring factions.
Yes, that's exactly what most of the good Dalek stories are like: the Daleks only attack in the last act, and are used more as a symbol of destruction than as characters.

Dalek showed that you can strip everything else away, and have the Dalek actually present throughout almost the entire story, as long as it doesn't attack until the final act, and still make that work. But then Power and Evil had already shown that decades earlier.

It says a lot about Helen that she was in 3 whole boxsets, and could still be forgotten by 2 separate people.

kek.

Yeah, but not in the way you described it. That isn't the impersonal pat of a co-worker, it's the loving reassurance of a grandfather.

Yes, sorry.

Like the other user, I'd forgotten her existence. Put her on the meh list. Put Josie there too.

Also, Romana goes on the good list, right after Compassion, for Shada.

And Kroton…he was fun, but not as interesting as when he was a solo character pre-Eight, so he goes between Molly and Lucie.

Anyone else I've forgotten?

Giving hugs to his granddaughter is different, I was describing what it would be like to hug them if you were a stranger to them, user

Susan is an exception. One doesn't hug everyone that way.

>Sam
>under Helen
>under Josie

Nah.jpg

>Dalek showed that you can strip everything else away, and have the Dalek actually present throughout almost the entire story, as long as it doesn't attack until the final act, and still make that work.
Unfortunately, Dalek also upped the power and supposed intelligence of daleks to such an extent that it made all future dalek episodes that much more implausible.

>I was describing what it would be like to hug them if you were a stranger to them, user
Oh, that's a stupid list then. I thought it was about which incarnations would give the best hugs, not which have the least personal boundaries when it comes to strangers.

>2 does so much comfort-touching that a hug is superfluous
>5 will definitely hug you if you need a hug, but will not if you don't
>7 will hug you as an excuse to plant something in your backpack

>THIS IS NOT WHAT I MEANT EITHER, STRANGER WAS NOT THE WORD I SHOULD HAVE USED

Well in that case: Hartnell hugs are back on the menu, boys!

Who /romana/ here?

>5 will definitely hug you if you need a hug, but will not if you don't
Unless it's a woman. He's not allowed to get too touchy with the women.

even bill is prettier than her

Technically speaking, it's Bad Wolf that started the pattern. Dalek was written like a singular monster rampage story and the monster was empowered accordingly. Bad Wolf rolled in and unleashed a horde of them at once and started a pattern that would hound us to this day.

If I was RTD and had to make this Dalek horde, I would create a distinction between "relic Daleks" that are powered by Time War era empire, and knock-off Daleks that are pretty weak and were produced post-time war by the remnants of the empire.

>Then Daleks roll in, with no mistique, no motive beside war and no sensible way to defeat them but naked violence. There are a few stories that do different things with them, like Dalek and Into the Dalek from NuWho, and I can't actually name any other.
Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks.

Romana 1 is a good companion, but she had the misfortune of coming after Leela, and it's really hard to measure up to the 4 / Leela dynamic.

Fuck you, Romana is beautiful.

Me

Romana II is good too, but not only is she not the best companion, she's not even the best Romana.

Right. This story made good use of the Daleks, but bad other stuff.

Sam doesn't deserve quite as much hate as she gets from fandom. But she still deserves more hate than almost any other wilderness-era companion. I guess there's Jeremy from the Pertwee audios… and Ellie from the Sarah Jane audios, if you count her as a companion, but actually she's a Sam expy, so…

The TV writers were careful to make sure Nyssa and Tegan never really needed a hug, except for one time, when Tegan and the Doctor were separated from each other so he couldn't provide one.

>Romana II is good too, but not only is she not the best companion, she's not even the best Romana.
Nonsense, what other Romana could be half as good as Romana 2? (Don't look at pic related.)

>I know :( "The Eleven" was a good start, but then...jeez. Helen is such a failure of a companion.
Helen isn't bad, and Absent Friends was a really good story about her. It's just, she's forced into a role that was not vacated and is held by a companion that if not more interesting, at least just as interesting and most improtantly already occupying the spot.

>I've only seen a handful of Hartnell's episodes.
Then go watch all of them m89.

>Nonsense, what other Romana could be half as good as Romana 2?
Romana I, obviously. She was always better.

I'm yet to hear Romana III but, judging from your post, Lalla isn't even the 2nd best Romana.

youtube.com/watch?v=Qpx3bi_kirM

From 1:50 to 1:55

Can you name a more badass Who moment?

Actually:

Romana 2 > Evil Louise Brooks Romana 3 > Trey > Romana 1 > Not-Trey-but-Trey Romana 3

(But really, they're all good.)

>Evil Louise Brooks Romana 3
>Trey
>Not-Trey-but-Trey Romana 3
Sounds like I have a lot to look forward to.

>BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRD

I really cant, no one else scares the Daleks as much as 9

what

The first one is only in the novels. And really, I may be giving her too much credit. She's the best part of the post-act-3 ending of Shadows of Avalon, and of Ancestor Cell, but maybe she only shines by comparison with everything else going on in those trainwrecks.

And the other two are the same actor playing essentially the same character, it's just more fun when she's a bit of a mystery, and when Romana 2 doesn't know what to make of her.

This is the reason I haven't seen the other classic who episodes yet, I want to watch in chronological order

I've listened to classic doctor big finish audios though

This is now a Doctor hugging thread

>Come on, boys, we've taken the photo, and the other prom couples are waiting for their turn.

I'm glad that we'll probably see The Eleven again. In DC4 he became a really great villain.

Shame in DC1 and 2 he was either boring or playing second fiddle to The Sonomancer.

He was the most boring shit in DC 1-3.

Volstrom fucked me up though.

His gimmick made his audios very confusing to me.

I'm not. Doom Coalition was meant to be a 16-audio set planned out in advance, telling its own story. But it ended on a fucking cliffhanger, with basically nothing resolved. So the next 8 set will have to basically be Doom Coalition 5. Why even separate the range then. Gah.

>ywn work for Big Finish
FUCK YOU NICHOL/ASS/

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Have you applied?

Guess the episode from the food editior

The Pilot

Was I the only one who cheered when the Eleven shot Helen?

Avoided online all weekend as I still had saturdays episode to see but I've seen it now and enjoyed it.

What was the general consensus from others?

Personally I thought it was a nice idea and well enough executed but it sort of fizzled out and didn't have enough running in it. Not one of the best episodes but certainly not a bad one at all.

>If I was RTD and had to make this Dalek horde, I would create a distinction between "relic Daleks" that are powered by Time War era empire, and knock-off Daleks that are pretty weak and were produced post-time war by the remnants of the empire.
to be fair, I think there was an attempt there. The Dalek-Dalek and the Bad Wolf Daleks were originally meant to have different designs but they had to settle for one when time and money ran out.

It was fine as a run of the mill episode up until the ending.

you CAN'T apply

ANTI-PLASTIC

(D'aw, you guys have been saving my screenshots)

I remember a job opportunity that they posted a few months ago about being part of the marketing team.

Bill > Clara

Pearl Mackie isn't much of an actress though. Good thing that's not what matters in Doctor Who.

>Bill > Clara

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>Pearl Mackie isn't much of an actress though

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

They have a marketing team?

MY THREAD NOW

she's fine as long as the script is just calling for enthusiastic or friendly. the big emotional moments so far is where she falls flat. bit like ace really.

youtube.com/watch?v=3c8DKV_wd1c

Feel bad for Matthew, but I'm so fucking glad Liv is gone for the time being, and the tech guy's a breath of fresh air for this lot.

Good post

Sup Forums has been pretty slow
Last thread just archived
Guess who was last of the /who/ lords ;)

Most of the North American users are asleep right now

Torchwood.
Outside the government, beyond the police.

Cancelled from existence.

Outside the decency, beyond good taste

>Unfortunately, Dalek also upped the power and supposed intelligence of daleks to such an extent that it made all future dalek episodes that much more implausible.
Surely the easy workaround to that is not feature the Daleks in hordes of 20 million or however many kept showing up for the RTD finales. It's true of any enemy/monster; the more there are of them, the less threatening individual units are. And the solution will always have to be some deus ex like "blow them all up" or "reset time" rather than a clever, creative means of defeating a lone baddie.

As an aside I wish the Cybermen could get an episode devoted to a single unit on the loose, I loved the scene with the damaged one in Pandorica Opens

The audios are kino though. Though I do miss actually seeing them.

Greetings, greetings, greetings! Well, I seem to be stuck in the sodding Time Vortex, AGAIN! So I can’t assist you. This is one of the many regrets in my life. Goodbye, my dears!

user who's been going through all Classic Who here, only got three more Jon Peewee serials left. Gonna miss that dandy old kung-fuck. His era was a weird one, but I can't say it wasn't a fun ride, and I'll be damned if Benton isn't one of the most pure and lovable characters in television history.

Does /who/ normally watch the Classic DVDs with the added CGI effects (Kinda, Invasion of Time, etc.) to episodes in the original broadcast form, or with the new CGI?

Just got around to watching Smile. It was fucking shit.

Season 10 isn't looking good

if I wanted to watch a show with good special effects I wouldn't watch old episodes of Doctor Who

What did you think of The Pilot?

youtube.com/watch?v=qxiWSxFHGJ4

>dat cgi