Be American

>be American
>have british gf
>her sister and sister's husband recently bought a home
>their combined income is around 50k pounds per anum
>they got approved for a loan on a 555k pound property
>now my gf wants to buy an equally ridiculously-priced home
>spend all day trying to convince her that this whole system is ripe for collapse

My first house was 3x my income at that time (the start of my career)

Your first house should be a starter you intend to rent, and you really shouldn't buy it with another person. Shared property is just a bad idea unless you've got a prenup

>My first house was 3x my income at that time

Most homes in the UK are 6 or more times annual income. Many people there are buying at 10-15x+ their annual income. The housing market in Britain is fucked.

You can't find anything at 3x income.

[THIS POSTER IS A WELL KNOWN SCHIZO DONT REPLY TO THERE POSTS THANK YOU]

She wants to buy property in Britain?

If so the laughable request is not buying a house you can't afford (a common mistake for fiscal morons), but rather the idea that you would leave the US for Britain.

i think this is the most boring greentext i have ever read. why did you type this to us?

This is one of my fears. I'm still contemplating whether I should settle somewhere with cheaper housing, but then I would probably take a huge hit on my salary anyway.

We don't have that luxury in western Europe. In American dollars a very very modest house in a poor working class neighbourhood is going to be something like $250,000.

Plus our salaries are lower and taxes are higher.

you've posting this before, its fake
(the bit about how much they were lent.. that's pretty reasonable price wise)

I find it rather interesting. Go play pew, pew, on your video games, kid.

Bought a place that was 16x my income with a mortgage 8x my income. No problems no regret. It's now worth 28x my income.

That sucks, I'm sorry.

>I'm a super-duper Mr.Grownup
This is why your joke attempts always end up awkwardly landing in real life.

>you've posting this before, its fake

Yes, I have posted it before, but it is not fake. It is very, very real and it terrifies me.

Why does she want to live in Britain anyway?

>It's now worth 28x my income.

>"""""""""worth""""""""""

Because her family is there and she doesnt want to leave them. I, on the other hand, am more concerned about financial matters and being able to support ourselves.

Yep, now I can either tap that ass with a heloc or retire.

you've made this thread before
she can't force you to buy a fucking house and i doubt your opinion is going to change so just deal with the bitching you drama queen

>people falling for the "American with British GF bait"

It honestly isnt bait. It is just a shit situation. It has torn me apart for years now.

Then just fucking rent.

>50k
>550k property
This doesn't seem possible

You wouldn't think, but their housing market is in a huge fucking bubble.

Even so, I call bullshit.

My combined income is just under 60k and the maximum mortgage we could obtain was £265k, and this was only in august.

It is bullshit, unless you have some shadow bankers with predatory interest rates that are willing to take that chance. I'll say all credible and regulated banks will not give a mortgage that's 10x your income. Typically they'll aim for around 30% of your after tax income including costs of ownership.

I'm not privy to how much of a down payment they put in.

>look mom I posted it again!

tbqh even in the event this were real I'd doubt you'd be in a relationship that long, you sound like a massive dickhead

It is very real and I have.

bump

Why would you even consider moving to the UK?

this

I just bought a house for 7.6x my income, got a loan at 3.2% fixed interest rate. I have a very stable job and can afford the monthly payments even now while I'm at the start of my career. I rent out two of the rooms. Does anyone average in 1st world countries buy houses outright? Its all mortgages, thats how the game works now. You gotta play the game if you want to work towards owning a house in a 1st world country.

Yes, but A) being that leveraged, especially now is stupid B) she has no renters C) sinking that much of your wealth into a home is also very stupid D) this is an adjustable rate mortgage (again, stupid)

WE HAVE THIS THREAD EVERY DAY DICKHEAD A BETTER THREAD THAN THIS DIED BECAUSE YOU HAD TO REPOST THIS SHITTY POINTLESS ONE YOU NEVER EVEN CHANGE THE IMAGE YOU POST IT WITH

>every day

I've posted it 3 times.

bump