/got/ - Game of Thrones General thread

The Old Bear Edition

In the archives of Oldtown:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkin_Warbeck
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Douglas#Black_Dinner
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Glencoe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Poor old bear, too bad couldn't see his son one more time.

Lyanna Mormont and Jorah reunion when?

Maario Naharis

Mario that you?

Ok now I'm confus

Season 8 at this rate. Here's hoping!

I fucking loved Jeor. One more into the pile of bodies D&D discarded!

Maario's arc finished a couple editions ago.

Catelyn Stark > Melisandre + Cersei + Sansa

Prove me wrong

cant prove an objectively correct statement wrong

Reminder that this is Lyanna Mormont's mom - Maege Mormont.

would fuck

that better not be true, she's ugly as fuck!

damn I just woke up and checked the replies to the tier list I posted last night
>showfags proud that they can't figure out who the characters are meant to be
disgusting

>post some shitty fanart
>mad when people can't decipher it

I'm a bookfag and I couldn't recognize even half of them.

Why did Rhaegar name both his sons Aegon?

clearest character portraits i could find, sigils in the background and everything, if you couldn't figure out who they were meant to be you might be retarded

he didnt?

Why does bran get people so mad?

because that image is accurate

Branfags have been getting BTFO for several generals now.

Have they lost the chance to recover, ever?

never ever

You just had to say it didn't you?

Now George is gonna kill Bran and it's all your fault

>based george BTFOing the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises

That would be like a Theon/Arya reunion. She would've been too preoccupied with childhood to really even remember him. Besides, hadn't Jorah been exiled long before the series even started?

>she wasn't even a great beauty. Or any other kind of beauty.

She was a great warrior though.

GRRM is in no position to throw stones considering how he supports what is one of the dullest franchise in the history of tv franchises. Seriously each episode following Daenerys and her wyvern pals as they fight assorted shitlords has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when GRRM vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; he made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody. Just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for his books which he will never finish before dying of fat. The GoT series might be anti-Tolkien (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-fantasy series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "dies."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several hundred times. I was incredulous. GRRM's mind is so governed by cliches and literal shit metaphors that he has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of GoT by a Redditor. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading GRRM at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on Reddit." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "GoT" you are, in fact, trained to be a Redditor.

too similar to the original imo but still not bad

JK Rowling is literally Charles Dickens except she hates poor people even more

"No!"

>As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "dies."

Jonsa
Gendrick
R'hllelly
JaqMelly
Piendry
Torienne
WalCat
Catyrion
Robbeon
Joffsay
Breera
Thormelly
Robbgery
JaqAry
Gendrya
Waifjaq
Kindole
Jaimure
Olefish
Stannos
RobbRos
Robbjey
Kindlypair
Tynny
Tyrienne
Jorleesi
MissTy
Tyleesi
Renwun
MissGrey
Branerys
Brodor
Meeosh
Robbcella
LittleCat
NightCat
Nightsei
Nightleesi
Jaimsa
Jaimleesi
Saleesi
Berheart
Berthor

Why do you post all these noncanon ships and showfag missgrey?

Trailer can't arrive soon enough. Anyone remember about how much time before premieres were the trailers released?

Like a month

it's a bit of a dumb meme though
>only 3 pov characters killed
>2 don't stay dead

and her daughter is twice as ugly, fits.

Technically, TWOW never been released means Jon Snu stays dead forever.

Excellent edition, Mr. Eko.

Well, that's some consolation I guess.

And Stannis never dies

Its the historical mashup element that gives me the creeps. Its incredibly cheesy and I don't understand how he gets away with it (then again, I don't understand how JK Rowling got away with copying the Worst Witch either).

Perhaps this isn't apparent to Americans but there is a shameless audacity to copying things from well-known historical events and being acclaimed as a creative genius (most defend his plotting over his dire style). If you look at events leading up to the Battle of Bosworth Field you'll find all your old friends, the "Lancasters", their bannermen, the Kingmaker, the returned claimant in exile, the (alleged) deaths of the nephews etc. Add a bit of Roman stuff and you're there.

what did he copy bosworth as?

I just post any and all ships I and others can think of. Canon or not, silly, stupid or sexy, book and show. It's mainly for bumps.

Well, he moves things around of course, in a way it makes it worse because it has a sort of queasying feel to it.

Robert Baratheon is fairly obviously supposed to be a sort of Henry VIII type figure for example.

I guess if already happened or will happen.

Bosworth Field is known for the death of The Tyrant King (Richard III) and the ascension of Henry Tudor to the throne (Henry VII) so that would be events before the start of the story. At least in legend it was very close to single combat, Richard III killed Henry Tudor's own standard bearer trying to get to him.

On the other hand, Henry Tudor returned to England from exile and raised an army (he brought some mercenaries with him) so perhaps its Danaerys at some point.

Richard III might have won if the Earl of Northumberland (the son of "Hotspur") had turned up with his army but he stayed at home.

Northumberland himself was distracted by and charged with protecting the realm from the barbarians at its northern border.

See what I mean?

Thank you good sir. The Old Bear deserves the respect.

Food for thought

>old bear
>has a crow and not a bear

sad!

Henry Tudor seems more similar to Aegon than Daenerys

that's a parrot dummy

>In the archives of Oldtown

I literally cringed. Please never be OP ever again

edgy as fuck image with unnecessary swearing

you were born in this century, I guarantee it. grow up edgelord

samefag fag

Is the writers' strike going to affect GoT?

Do they even have writers?

Will GRRM come work as a scab since he gave up on the series?

All me

Well returning from exile (or just pretending to) and causing trouble was a bit of a theme:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkin_Warbeck

I am surprised we haven't had a good random Pretender as yet. Wasn't there a secret Baratheon basard milling around a few series ago? Someone pretending to be him maybe.

>Bosworth Field is known for the death of The Tyrant King (Richard III) and the ascension of Henry Tudor to the throne (Henry VII) so that would be events before the start of the story. At least in legend it was very close to single combat, Richard III killed Henry Tudor's own standard bearer trying to get to him.
Ok... but Rhaegar was meant to be the dazzling prince-Charming type, not the deformed fuck everyone hated that (at least Shakespeare would have us believe) Richard III was. So the correlation here is... single combat in a big decisive battle? Not exactly damning stuff.
>Richard III might have won if the Earl of Northumberland (the son of "Hotspur") had turned up with his army but he stayed at home.
>Northumberland himself was distracted by and charged with protecting the realm from the barbarians at its northern border.
I don't see this at all in the story. The North hasn't been held back from marching south like that in any major instance.
>On the other hand, Henry Tudor returned to England from exile and raised an army (he brought some mercenaries with him) so perhaps its Danaerys at some point.
Definitely some (f)Aegon-inspiration there. But an exile returning to claim the throne is hardly a one-time historical event, so of course something as general as that won't be original.
It's well known that gurm draws a lot from the war of the roses but I don't really find the similarities frustrating desu

Really made me think.

who's on the right?

Elon "Twice cucked" Musk

i meant who was the womyn but i think i know now

Could have been good but you dropped the ball

Daily reminder that Brianne is a better sword fighter than Jaime

doesn't she literally think to herself that jaime was better than her?

no

>Ok... but Rhaegar was meant to be the dazzling prince-Charming type, not the deformed fuck everyone hated that
Yes but the Targ dynasty was hated
>Richard III might have won if the Earl of Northumberland (the son of "Hotspur") had turned up with his army but he stayed at home.
You could see this as inspiration for 'The Late Lord Frey' (I know he wasn't a Targ bannerman but still). You could also say that the battle could have gone differently had Rhaegar's Kingsguard been there ("Woe to the Usurper if we had been").

Also the Red Wedding was very closely inspired by the Black Dinner and the Massacre at Glencoe from Scottish history:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Douglas#Black_Dinner
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Glencoe

Barristan spotted Bobby B first, but Rhaegar decided to duel him. Muh honor and shit. Should've just let Barry kill the omega usurper.

Modern day Isaac Hempstead Wright

Based af

I didn't make that image I'm a branbro

Because he's a retarded faggot

>Bobby B. wouldn't have just smashed through Kingsguard shits on his way to crushing Rhaegar in his white-hot Baratheon rage

Brotherhood

>kingsguard shits

Kek

Bobby B had knights with him who would have fought with the kingsguard I reckon. 1 v 1 is only for the Kings

t. delusional cuckold
First Lyanna, then Cersei. How can one man be such a buffoon? Not even retarded kings were this bad.

Good edition. Based bear.

first season is so comfy

>Yes but the Targ dynasty was hated
No? Some lords rose up against it, but people adored Rhaegar, and a lot of Aerys' shit would've been ignored by the general populace since it didn't directly effect them and he was holed up most of the time, Rhaegar being the public image of the dynasty and all.
>You could see this as inspiration for 'The Late Lord Frey' (I know he wasn't a Targ bannerman but still). You could also say that the battle could have gone differently had Rhaegar's Kingsguard been there ("Woe to the Usurper if we had been").
OK, but the motives and positioning seem entirely different, Frey being the opportunist and all. The only similarity here is a third party having potential to change the outcome of a battle, which again is a very general thing and not a one-off historical event.
>Also the Red Wedding was very closely inspired by the Black Dinner and the Massacre at Glencoe from Scottish history:
Fair enough, but again, the similarities aren't that specific.

Of course there's historical inspiration, but it's impossible to directly correlate the story to any series of historical event, unless you're being *extremely* general about it.

>implying barristan would've stood a chance against prime bobby b

If you see this image while scrolling the page, you have been visited by Jeor Fookin' Mormont.

Valyrian Steel swords and White Walker kills will come to you but only if you post Thank You Old Bear in this thread

IT'S HAPPENING!

Dayne
Barry
Jaime
Bobby B = Rhaegar

In that order from best to worst. This is actul CANON not an opinion

"The Winds of Winter"? That's a strange name for a Wildcards character.

prove it

I'm not going to get into autistic power level debates. Jaime could've wrecked Bobby B.

Delet this

Kek

Maybe at all of their primes, but Jaime was just a kid when Bobby B and Rhaegar were at their prime. I don't think you can definitively say Jaime was better than either of them.

why did she grew up to be a feminist/sjwtard? she was so promising

hi /bran/ im back. sorry to see i missed the anti-branbros getting btfo repeatedly

No he couldn't have

sansafag honestly thought they were going to get away with making this post

Sansa is an objectively better character than Arya, though.

Have you ever read anything more obviously written by a tumblr whale?

No, no she isn't. Sansa is by far the most useless waste of time in the entire series. Arya at least has done something for herself at least once in her entire life.

>plot-armour and unrealistic behaviour for a 9y/o makes a better character

thats your post isnt it
>inb4 "ummm no sweetie"