Why aren't there more historical epics?

Why aren't there more historical epics?

if it's not contemporary it will generally fail at the box office, what's the last successful historical epic you can think of?

Audiences don't go see them anymore.

They don't sell. Millennials could give a shit about history, considering how many of them are communists and turn a blind I to the spread of Islam.

They're expensive and they don't usually make a lot of money.

>introduce a bunch of cool characters
>kill them right away

>no epic Crusades kino ever

Because most of them involve white guys fighting other white guys or white guys fighting black/brown/asian guys. So you're either glorifying whites with them fighting other whites, glorifying whites rekting non-whites (The worst loss in history, Britain vs Zulu's is a film, 2000 Brits vs 40,000+ Zulu's) or non-whites aren't good enough protag material as they're either shown as fighting each other (proving they're just as bad, if not worse, than whites) or they're going to lose against the whites and Americans don't like protags losing.

>Blind I
Good post

Does exodus: Gods and Kings count?

wew satan

Because the only good one ever is Braveheart and the rest are all boring and lame

that was unintentional.

Yet Braveheart wasn't historical. At all.

this

the historical epic was a fad for a while after Gladiator came out, but they all started to lose money and everyone got sick of them

I think Kingdom of Heaven and 10,000 BC were major contributors to this

Budget: $130,000,000

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $47,398,413 22.4%
+ Foreign: $164,253,638 77.6%
= Worldwide: $211,652,051

>straight white men movies
ewww

capeshit is more successful

The director's cut is unironically my favorite film

Why? The Crusades were shit.

A Battle of Arsuf film could be great, though. It's perfect material. It's a outnumbered European force against a better force lead by Saladin. It's a defensive battle until Hospitalers defy Richard II's orders and then Richard II joins in and leads them to victory.

Then promptly gets captured by Austria on his way home, bankrupts England getting ransomed, then dies crushing a rebellion in France, leading to losses of land in France, eventually leading to 100 Year War, which they raped it up until their allies flunked and Joan saved France's ass.

So it has the whites beating the brown people, but then has the whites being humiliated.

>could give a shit
>blind I

is this bait?

>all these dumb Sup Forums responses

don't forget that Hollywood is really bad at trends, they will beat a genre to death then never touch it again for a decade

>no film about reconquista
fuck this gay earth

Unless it constantly makes $500m+ grosses in cinema (like capeshit) then it'll keep going. Let's hope Marvel/FOX uses it's bank balance to make more films like Deadpool and Logan, at least they're different. Let us hope DC finds a non-hack director to work with great material.

Moops BTFO!

Fucking Braveheart you retards. It's not that people won't see them it's just that they need to be good.

>Fucking Braveheart you retards.
>ignoring Gladiator

Why did you make it seem like I was being hostile to you instead of a general question BTW?

What movie is this? Also what's the best historical film?
Not trolling being serious cause I'm in need of a show/movie after watching Vikings and The Last Kingdom.

OP's pic? Kingdom of Heaven I think

best film in this genre? I think most people would agree probably Gladiator or Braveheart

>mfw there will never be a Lawrence of Arabia style historical epic about the life of Baron von Ungern-Sternberg

Kingdom of Heaven

For god's sake watch the director's cut and not the trash that was the theatre cut

It's a conspiracy.

Yeah OP's pic and thanks. I'll check out Braveheart. Also any genre, but I like to stick with sword shit since I've seen a lot of gun war movies already.

there werent any black people back then so liberals wouldnt watch it