I don't mean to meme, but honestly, what the fuck was that? What did I just watch?

I don't mean to meme, but honestly, what the fuck was that? What did I just watch?

Other urls found in this thread:

franksreelreviews.com/reviews/mdexplain.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Don't ask.

A waste of time.

Art school hipster masturbation.

A moving picture, think that is what kids are calling it these days.

It's kino, dad.

Plebs. MD is literally the most straightforward and accessible Lynch kino.

All Lynch movies are shit. If you don't agree you're an absolute pretentious moron.

There are at least 5 movies by Lynch that are more straightforward than MD.

Absolutely false
Blue velvet, eraserhead and wild at heart are far more straightforward and accessible

You watched an excuse to have a tasteful lesbian scene in a semi mainstream movie

>pretentious
Why would I pretend when the plot is easy to understand?

I Forgot Dune and Elephant man

straight story? elephant man?

are you even trying?

Everything after the Club Silencio scene and the blue box opening is the real world, Naomi Watts was a failed actress who fell in love with the bitch that is Camilla and decided tog et her killed, everything before the blue box is her dream, everything is just her mind coping with unrequited love and failure. Take in mind that the post dream scene ws added by Lynch a couple of years after his original plan to make a new tv show (of which the dream scenes were the pilot) so some things like the diner scene and teh guy from Twin Peaks would ahve been part of a larger plot.

holy shit i need to get a new keyboard

This is by far the best explanation. 90% of it will make sense after reading this, you can just ignore the other 10%

franksreelreviews.com/reviews/mdexplain.htm

Rewatch it and this time pay attention and watch very closely. Things will make more sense the second time around. I don't want to say it outright, but you'll notice things you didn't the first time. The movie even spells itself out a couple of times, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

I didn't say it wasn't, I'm saying Lynch is shit. MD is about his only half-decent movie.

Wait til he destroys Twin Peaks. The meltdown on here is gonna be epin

>lynch is shit

He's honestly a solid filmmaker. What movies of his have you seen?

this probably works best out of everything i've seen but there are still some issues with it, mainly
>why would watts dream about thereoux
>what's the significance of the old people/jumpscare trash man
>why dream about the blue box

It was like Lynch watched Berman's Persona, saw this frame and wrote a fanfic about it.

Let me break it down for you.

>be hipster sensation David Lynch
>make a 90-minute pilot for a television series
>no studio picks it up
>guess I'll make it into a movie instead
>tack on 30 minutes of lesbian sex at the end
>shit, there's still tons of unresolved plot threads
>I guess I'll film a few more scenes and make it so it's all in Naomi Watt's head so it doesn't actually matter
>The result gets rated the greatest film of the 21st century

This

Does that say more about the state of the film industry or his abilities as a filmmaker?

You watched a horror film that only had one scary scene and the rest was the horror of existentialism.

I always saw Watts dreaming about Theoreux as a means of revenge against him for stealing Rita from her. I'm her dream his life goes to shit throughout the film, his wife cheats on him, he goes broke, and he loses creative control over his film.

Maybe a bit of both. To be fair, most of the movie is pretty good. The ending is a pretty bad case of blue balls though.

>straightforward and accessible
unlike eraserhead, a much better movie

Shouldn't you guys be seeing fate of the furious right now?

well that pretty much confirms it

At least Fate of the Furious plays to the lowbrow audience, and does it well. Mulholland Drive is a middlebrow flick. Neither good clean fun for general audiences nor substantial enough for true film fans, it's only really useful for hipsters to scratch their beards to.

You can't say this to me, I'm black.

Maybe if you disregard Wild at Heart and Blue Velvet. Probably Dune too, though I haven't seen it.

She dreams about Theroux, so she can make the reason she lost the role be due to a big conspiracy preventing him from picking her if he even wanted to.
The old people represent her conscience. Trashman is supposed to symbolize utter failure.
Blue Box is just the connection between the fantasy of the dream and the depressing reality

I want to watch it again, but I also don't wnat to get the shit scared out of me again.

A dream within a dream where someone is describing another dream then suddenly realizes they're still dreaming

you got Lynch'd

What scared you, user? Her suicide scene at the end?

What's the significance between this frame and Mulholland Drive?

trashman jumpscare.

I had already seen it on Sup Forums in the form of a webm and it did nothing for me, but within the context of the movie? Jesus Christ.

>trashcan
It's actually Camilla's animated corpse

*trashman

I seriously cannot handle auto correct anymore

what about camilla's accident at the start? who was watts dreaming was chasing her

This is fantastic, thank you.

Check this out:

Yeah, except for
>Dune
>Blue Velvet
>The Elephant Man
>The Straight Story
>Wild at Heart

Oh wait, that's literally half his filmography.

>film TV pilot
>it's not picked up
>film extra scenes then release it as a movie

Mulholland Drive is the live action equivalent of a mid-2000s Disney sequel, and it's considered one of the greatest movies of all time.
I don't not like it, but, c'mon.

She envisions Theroux's character as being an impotent failure instead of the successful director who stole her girlfriend. It also kind of sort of ties into the man behind Winkies, a physical manifestation of her guilt peeking in as she loses control of her subconscious the same way he loses control of his film. The blue box is basically Pandora's Box, with the truth of her reality within, and once it's open, the dream is over.

But, y'know, it's art. There doesn't have to be a 1-1 connection for everything.

>The movie even spells itself out a couple of times
It literally begins with a POV shot leading into a pillow, it doesn't get much more straightforward than that with Lynch.

>dude
>blurred out vagina
>LMAO

lynch is a hack.

what?

You mean the ending? The diner scene is silly, the ending is fucking horrific.

That... that sounds like something he'd actually do.

fuuuuuuuck persona is such a good movie

Yeah, it's one of the most intense and powerful things I've ever watched. Fucking haunts you.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I can see how the Diner scene builds up the tension and then pulls the jump on you, but I didn't feel scared when it happened. When Diane is fleeing into her room and commits suicide, it felt almost as though I was feeling her terror

She asked him to...

Just forget you ever saw it, buddy. It's better this way.

I get what you mean user, but it came out all wrong. MD is the most straightforward film where he uses the whole dream "gimmick".
I personally liked MD and I think the balance between straightforward and Lynchian as in Lost Highway is pretty good. And those two are as much as I have enjoyed from Lynch. Other than that I don't like his movies all that much. I may watch inland empire out of sheer curiosity someday.