What are Sup Forums's thoughts about Arrival?Just finished watching, didn't expect such an ending

What are Sup Forums's thoughts about Arrival?Just finished watching, didn't expect such an ending.

As a linguist, I have to say that I loved the whole film.

straight garbo

it was terrible - the aliens didn't even fight or eat anything

I loved it but thats not a popular opinion around here

>dude learning another language lets you travel through time xD

Best non-documentary or non-animated flick of the year

Fuck off you aren't me.

It's great OP

Great film. Imagine what the world could do if everyone actually worked together and shared information instead of keeping it to themselves.

It was a 10/10 for me OP

I really enjoyed it OP. Well made flick with some cool ideas and an actual point behind it. Managed to nail the human/personal element that Interstellar didn't *quite* get right.

One of them ate a bomb :^)

>As a linguist

LARPing is getting weirder by the day

It's decent but one of his worst films

Hey guys, Uridon here ;^) everyone's favourite! I don't know who those other guys are, but yeah legit the film sucks

really liked it, better than interstellar

The premise is ridiculous. It was well acted and shot though.

I want to fuggg amy adams

Was good, I enjoyed it. It's good for finding autists on Sup Forums because they don't understand the plot.

>posting on a chinese cartoon board is "live action"

>Scientist say we should try to understand each other with math and lightspeed since its universal
>Girl says we should teach english
>Everyone helps the girl teach aliens how to say "Hello" even though saying hello prob isn't part of their culture

First contact KINO

10/10

it's deep bro
and it's not time travel which makes it good

Felt like a dated suspense Night Shyamalan movie.

Everyone understands the plot, retard. The plot and the movie and the ending sucked. Only normies and smug intellectuals such as yourself who think the ending was deep or meaningful like this shitty movie.

Best film out in years. I loved it.
Book was good too but the book never had a point. I.E. the book never had the point of the aliens actually coming to Earth in the first place. In the book the aliens just came and left without telling us why they were there.

Pretty good, but incomplete. Didn't delve far enough into the whole determinism/free will aspect of the movie, meaning it was quite confusing whether or not the protagonist was the most selfish cunt in the world or not.

DUDE CIRCLES LMAO
DUDE GREY COLOURING LMAO
DUDE NU-SCI-FI EMOTIONS LMAO
DUDE THE US SAVES THE WORLD LMAO
DUDE A FUCKING SQUID LMAO

NAH DUDE TIME'S A FLAT CIRCLE
you just hate women

I agree with this. I guess it's impossible to fully convey a concept so alien to us linear-thinkers.

would have been better as a tv series than a movie

but it was still good

This. Arrival is a pleb filter; only idiots think the story is some sort of cinematic genius.

DUDE CIRCLES LMAO

good until it went full hollywood/retard in the last act

"You know what surprised me most? It wasn't making contact with an alien species, going aboard their antigravitational ship and communicating with them. It was meeting you."

>it was quite confusing whether or not the protagonist was the most selfish cunt in the world or not.
"no"

3/10 garbage amy adams can't act

But if she knew what marrying whatever his name was and had her daughter knowing full well that it would end in a bitter divorce and that she'd put her kid through the torture of getting sick and dying young, all while being able to avoid that fate for them all, doesn't that make her quite the selfish cunt?
The movie implies that the future is deterministic, but since it's really only a few odd lines about the aliens needing help in 3000 years, we don't know whether or not you can change the future when you have seen it.

Boring and pretentious as shit.

I thought it was just a Contact ripoff, was pleasantly surprised by the ending. Beautifully shot. Something got lost in the editing I think, the events after the explosion did not tie together well enough for me. Or maybe the script wasn't as good for that part.

Arrival is part of a recent series of movies I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger Sci-Fi. Along with Interstellar and to a somewhat lesser extent The Martian, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are movies designed to make the audience feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the viewer's hand the entire way through until there is next to nothing to be left up to interpretation.

If you didn't already know the twist in Arrival by the time she was in the milky section of the ship with the aliens AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the audience I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while viewing these movies because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge magnet letters. Any clever idea is made so transparent that even the most simple in the audience will get it. It also removes any reward for rewatching or trying to figure out what you just saw.

Granted, there is a difference between Arrival and Interstellar. I think where Interstellar was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, Arrival has a brain that it is refusing to let the audience use.

Completely disappointing movie.

Also
>so that just happened

>better than interstellar
no shit man interstellar was too far up its own ass.

it was ok, nothing memorable

a bit too sad and depressing for its own sake

that scene near the end when she goes alone in the ship and she starts making conversation with the aliens (subbed, lol) was simply ludicrous and ruined the DUDE CIRCULAR LANGUAGE concept for me

the symbols maybe circular but the sentences are clearly linear

they literally tell you the "tweest" in the first scene

How did you not expect the ending it was obviously gonna be we need to save the planet or some bull shit

I thought the atmosphere of the alien ship was fantastic and the beginning and middle were neat. The resolution was pretty lame though.

>If you didn't already know the twist in Arrival by the time she was in the milky section of the ship with the aliens AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the audience I am talking about.
Wait, the fact that the daughter wasnvt born yet was actually supposed to be a twist?

yes, that's the actual twist

But that's completely obvious from the second flashforward, if not from the first one right at the beginning of the movie. How is that a twist?

ask the director, not me

the linguistic part was great
amy adams was great and her performance was arguably the best since the master and the fighter - loved her
everything else was pretty shite
>mediocre and boring acting
>china is evil meme
>russia is evil meme
>world not working together meme
>an idiot tries to blow the aliens up and fucks it up, leading to a plot twist meme
>a scientist decides to ditch his protection suit meme
>CIA agent is a jerk meme
Bitch. Please.

>the linguistic part was great

until

One of the best sci-fi movies I've ever seen. There's just ONE thing bothering me and maybe can clear this up.

So, since they were going on the assumptions the aliens could see things the way we do (using the whiteboard and marker) why not bring in HDTVs or something similar and use simplified video graphics (such as YouTube
Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell) to communicate with the aliens? For example, instead of patting your chest and holding a sign saying human, wouldn't it be far better to use human icons similar to what NASA had on Pioneers 10 and 11's golden record...then apply simple motions to them. These images communicate far quicker what we are and why we're here. Then, in no time at all, you would be able to at least get the aliens to understand "yes" and "no" and then using simplified video graphics to narrow down why they're here.

I hope you had subtitles for the alien-linguist interaction at the end. Some key details there about the future etc.

Just wait a few hundred years and we'll have a posthuman Mankind 2.0 working peacefully as a hivemind without petty human emotions getting in the way of progress. It'll be a glorious utopia.

>woman gains the reality and logic defying magic power of seeing through time via a language
>saves the world from unbelievably stupid men who somehow are military leaders

it was a mediocre fantasy flick

should I watch it? I have always liked ET movies but I haven't watched it yet because I don't like that main characters face and I heard the whole alien language concept is dumb af

/lit/ > Sup Forums

Why do Jews see themselves as alien gods? Why do they want to rule over a world they ruined?

GOD tier sound editing and sound mixing.

Soundtrack was great too, can't wait to see (hear) what will Johannsson make of the new Blade Runner score

Just watch the damn film and decide for yourself you spineless opinionleeching faggot

also the film is not so much about the aliens, the ayylmaos and the science are only the setting where the actual narrative of the mother-daughter relationship takes place in

woah bro

I Iwas told it was a modern 2001, that it was a masterpiece, etc. For me, it was a standar film, I don't know why everyone here loves it