Legitimate soccer questions

Ask questions about the sport of soccer.

Doesn't matter. Relevant or stupid. Just ask, and someone will answer.

For example.

In the case of games ending in a "draw" or in American speak a "tie", why can't both teams have losses marked on their records? At least, games that end in 0-0.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9s_oJaFXVrE
youtube.com/watch?v=R_y4aQ8kSEY
youtube.com/watch?v=JOYZoZpU27E
youtube.com/watch?v=LYlqql38XkY
youtube.com/watch?v=1POVLqxwjiI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

because they get 1 point if they tie and 3 if they win
4-4 is the same as 0-0 meaning both teams were evenly matched

Abhorrent thread, plz die asap

>why don't they get losses marked on their records

because they didn't lose you fuckwit

I also like to think that defense is as important as offense, and small teams with low tier players can still celebrate a draw to a bigger club, since it could mean staying in the first division.

Because they didn't lose, you pleb

>team didn't lose.
>award them the same amount of points as a team that lost.
is this the fabled american intellect?

Bait thread

I wish the south would secede again just so you and I wouldn't have the same flag while shitposting on Sup Forums.

>In the case of games ending in a "draw" or in American speak a "tie", why can't both teams have losses marked on their records? At least, games that end in 0-0.

>when you realise none of America's Big 4 sports use a points system
It's just all W-L-T bullshit.

That rule would make football a whole different sport

This amerifat might have the right idea, is irritating how teams just play defense for 90 minutes because they are satisfied with winning just one point.

How does I shoot a gole in socar?

Why do you get a yellow for taking off your shirt when celebrating?

Hockey does

Why is it so fucking boring!?

delaying the restart of the game.

youtube.com/watch?v=9s_oJaFXVrE

Advertisers pay money to have their logo on the shirts. Consumers pay more attention when people score.

(((((sponsors)))))

This sounds like it could be equal parts true or bullshit, it sounds absolutely ridiculous but still plausible

Well, it is a relatively new rule, so most people assumes that. FIFA's excuses are timewasting and unsportsmanlike by excess of joy or something. Both are bullshit since time wasting and celebrating have been part of the game practically since the early 20th century.
That's why most people assume it's lobby from the sponsors. But in my opinion, why would FIFA sponsors care about local soda brands in third division teams? Also, FIFA events are international games which don't have sponsors at all. I guess you could claim it's companies like Adidas, Nike, etc, but the same can be argued about that. Personally, I think it has more to do with players carrying political messages under their shirts,

You aren't allowed to take off any part of your kit. This includes the captain's armband.

you now remember Paulo Diogo ripping the tip of his finger off while celebrating, and getting carded for delaying the game

>FIFA events are international games which don't have sponsors at all
They need to keep the rule tho, or else it would sound arbitrary and suspicious to have it in the national Leagues.

How the hell is only 1 goal scored a game when the net is 100 feet wide and 2 stories tall

You can only use your feet to shot against someone who can use all his body while you also have to have control of the ball and struggle against other defenders.

Have they changed the kick off rule so now only 1 player needs to be there? Before they changed it did the ball have to move forward or backward? It's been so fucking long for me baby.

The kickoff always had to be forward, so you always needed two players to not lose the ball immediately. Now the kick off can be backwards, so only one player is needed.

Why do big teams get allowed to postpone matches? doesn't ot give more power to them in a system that's already suited for them?

the civil war was a mistake

For a 0-0 tie, I wouldn't mind if both teams got nothing for their efforts. Admittedly that's a brutal opinion. But think of how many games you've seen as a neutral, and how many of those ended drawn 0-0, and how many of them were worth your time in the end.

Well now, I just argued my way into only ever watching games with teams I cared about, or teams I wished would fail.

Wow! I just freed up half my Saturday mornings! My Saturday nights are still occupied, even more so now that my lower-league team's getting away games shown on TV.

It's a preventative measure, so we can avoid shit like this.

(The first player who ever showed it got yellow-carded. American refs are as smart as they come.)

why is it so shit lmao #roasted#gotem

What? Neither team scored. They both lost.

He said Big 4
aka
NFL
NBA
MLB
Nascar

>Spain
>defense as important
Fuck you and your 1-0's

>Nascar
>Not NHL

Maybe not.

Anything that kills that many Southerners and New Englanders is a good thing

Here's hoping for HyperHurrican 2018

>Why do big teams get allowed to postpone matches?
This is allowed? Talk about the power of money.

>0-0 meaning both teams were evenly matched
You mean, they evenly sucked.

You're awarded 3 points for winning and 1 point for drawing. That's 2 points lost if you're the stronger team. That's more than enough incentive.

Nascar is not part of the big 4.

How do sweeper-keepers know when to rush out? If it were me, I'd just stay in the box and not take a huge risk.

>sweeper-keeper
You mean, unlike this idiot?

That was a good night.

what are you talking about?

>How do sweeper-keepers know when to rush out?

Experience and game vision

>
In the case of games ending in a "draw" or in American speak a "tie", why can't both teams have losses marked on their records? At least, games that end in 0-0.

They decided seeing half-naked men bodies was too gay.

Hey Euros. Why are you fuckers not privy to rule changes, that help improve the game?

"Flow of the game."

VAR is a thing you know?

There are people trying to stop you
youtube.com/watch?v=R_y4aQ8kSEY

youtube.com/watch?v=JOYZoZpU27E

Why don't all 11 players just lock arms in a circle with the ball in the middle and just walk into the net?

/thread
its over Yuros, time to pick a favorite baseball team

Why don't NFL players just have a big lumbering QB that holds the ball and runs it to the other side while a bunch of other big lumbering players revolve around him and run it down to the endzone? Because no matter how cool it sounds in theory, it's pathetically bad in practice.

but it's different in football because you can hit people. In soccer if you make hard contact its a foul. Literally just get in a tight circle around the ball, if they touch you its a foul. With enough practice a team could be unstoppable.

Some American once asked on this board "why don't someone just balance a ball on their head"

youtube.com/watch?v=LYlqql38XkY

and you could also make a circle with 10 people and have one person dribbling it inside.

Big teams play in more competitions than shit teams so when their schedule is too packed they can postpone the game so they won't be dead at half time.

why don't hockey teams just get a big sumo fighter to play as goalie?

>In soccer if you make hard contact its a foul.
That never stopped Pepe lol
youtube.com/watch?v=1POVLqxwjiI

I love this.
>don't try to foul me you silly boys~

How can I simulate this in FIFA for science?

It would be offside as soon as the front players passed the last defender.

The puck is spic levels of fast. Yes, there is a big guy in front, but it means nothing if he can't maneuver to slap it away.

Well once youre past the last defender you don't need a circle anymore, just go 1 on 1 with the keeper

>this flag
>this opinion
Unsurprising.

Which would only work if you learned to perfectly peel away just before the last defender, while also not giving them a chance to get to the ball

England, though they have it in other sports, has it now for some of their FA Cup matches. And I gotta say, the bitching by fans on the radio is secretly delightful.

Some other European countries have had it for years.

ok, then. what if you break the circle before you get to the last defender, and then at that point its 11 on 2 and you get the easy score

Not if you only had one guy in the circle dribbling the ball towards the goal. Everyone else would be moving away from the ball. No passing, no offside violation.

It primarily comes from experience but if you want a long winded answer...

In the first minutes of the match or even the warm-up you start eyeing off the strikers and trying to gauge how quick they are. For professionals they know this before the game for the most part because there is footage/everyone knows the competition etc. This will help you understand how much distance you can cover before they beat you to the ball (once again... experience).

On an individual play basis the first thing to do is make sure you are positioned far enough out that you can cover a significant distance but still know that you have the back pedal speed to cover a chip from wherever the ball is currently. A good goalkeeper will see the plays develop before they happen as you start to anticipate when the through balls are coming. From there once the ball is played through you look at the spin, height and pace of the ball (potentially wind too) and make a judgement on going out for the ball. Do this enough times and it just becomes a natural decision and the risk levels reduce significantly.

They'd push up as you were breaking the circle, force the offside, take the freekick quickly, and have a 9 on 1 on your goal, entirely without meme tactics.

> No passing, no offside violation.
Yes there is. If you're interfering with play, you're offside.

What a genius idea! You're a modern day SAF!

offsides is the gayest thing about any sport ever.

Have you seen football pre-offside? It wasn't pretty.

They played with these formations

to a non-fan like me its like the sports version of a blue shell

Applied to what, though?

Why doesn't the goalie stuff the ball into his jersey and sprints towards the other goal

>why don't players just score touchdowns all the time it's literally just running

I will be in Portugal and Spain from May 21-May 31. Porto, Lisbon, Barcelona, Bilbao. I was hoping to catch a local soccer game (even if just at a bar) but it appears the season is ending just before I arrive? Can any spain or portugal anons confirm?

Replay is fucking trash. Neck yourself.

What the fuck is direct and indirect free kick?

the last la liga game is 20 may and the last portugese league game is 13 may

so yes youre out of luck

direct means you can shoot straight into the goal, indirect means you need to pass to another player first

because of 1945

cesión al portero dentro del área es indirecta, no puedes tirar a puerta

because most of the time the players got shirts with political slogans so the sponsors demanded to end it
if you are an american company paying 200 milions to a team you dont want him to show free palestine for example
that's the reason they baned fascist flags
it hurt the sponsors
capitalist want the bigger audience posible and that means not ofending anybody and being bland

why don't they give cards for flopping?

y la barrera cuando se puede o no poner? puedes formar barrera aunque el atacante no lo pida?

They do. It's considered a foul.

Why doesn't FIFA impose salary caps?

Then there might be too much parity

It's easier to market 6-8 top teams to shit tier continents like Asia and North America than dozens

Because then it'd mean juggling with the wildly different fiscal rules of 211 countries as well. Or if you just take UEFA, 55.

what the fuck are you talking about?
there are a lot more than 6-8 top clubs.

>Calling it soccer

Because FIFA doesn't regulate club football.