Why would you need a "map" in space? It's not like there are roads. Don't you just need a single set of coordinates...

Why would you need a "map" in space? It's not like there are roads. Don't you just need a single set of coordinates? So didn't they already have everything they needed? I know this is just a plot device and it annoys me when people sperg out about shit like this, I'm not saying it "took me out of the movie" or whatever, I'm just saying.

Great question op, come join us at /lbg/ so we can talk about this together:)

Galaxies move and expand so a grid system wouldn't work. It would be more useful to know where a planet and star system are relative to other stars.

Also, a map could show the safest/fastest routes to take.

Wouldn't want to go through a system filled with space debris now would you?

Hyperspace travel works best if you have data that describes objects in an area so the navigational computer can plot a proper course. Without such "maps" it would have to go with some FTL scanning (which may not even exist or be possible in unknown or unestablished areas), and then make a rough guess based on the scan information. Even just having coordinates doesn't mean shit when you don't know what is around it, hyperspace travel just doesn't teleport you around the galaxy, you do travel and what you may inadvertently travel through may fuck your shit up (Han Solo literally explains this to Luke in Star Wars). Also space is fucking huge, even having a general area a planet might be found, could still take years blindly combing the region to find it, even if the potential hazards discussed before are disregarded.

Plenty of bullshit is wrong about TFA, but the map concept isn't (despite it being a plot device).

Shouldn't they already know that? They've mapped out the whole galaxy, right? It's not like someone jotted down a map of a part of the universe they're unfamiliar with. Just plug the coordinates into their equivalent of Google Maps and go where it tells you to go.

>Even just having coordinates doesn't mean shit when you don't know what is around it

They DO know what's around it.

No it actually is connected with roads, space roads that is.

No, it's not. Our cars are confined to roads because our cars can't fly. The plane we're travelling through is geodesically and proximally two-dimensional. A spaceship can go any direction.

>you don't need a map
>just coordinates

Coordinates are arbitrary and relative to the map you're using.

Because human mind is accustomed to visualize in three dimensions and stereoscopic.

It can only go in the opposite direction it's boosters are pointed in.

>implying the universe stays still
You're one of those with an extra chromosome arent you?

Bet you think the sea doesn't have roads either.

>Why would you need a "map" in space? It's not like there are roads. Don't you just need a single set of coordinates?
Galaxies are constantly on the move, you'd need a map to be able to find a relative route.

Why did Artoo decide to wake up at that exact moment?

>GALAXYS MOVE THEREFORE YOU NEED A MAP TO KNOW WHERE SOMETHING ISN'T

wut

It's in there for "subtle" hinting at what Star Wars IP's events they're going to be using.
Hint: Rakata Prime is there for a reason.

>Coordinates are arbitrary and relative to the map you're using.

The map of the galaxy.

It doesn't. Not in the parlance that is relevant to what we're talking about. We have to follow maps in our cars because we're physically confined to travelling on specific routes. Spaceships don't have that problem.

So are the tectonic plates of Earth. We can still map terrain to a coordinate system.

>comparing traveling on an x axis vs a z axis
it's time to stop posting

I don't even know what point you're trying to make.

They actually use designated hyperspace routes to get from place to place.

>Indicates he's on Ilum
>the planet isn't an iceball at the end of the movie

But they were not roads in the sense that the spaceships were confined to them.

No but they were the best routes to take to get from place to place safely. Free of flying right into a star or bouncing into a supernova and ending your trip real quick.

You can drive off a road any fucking time you want, the road is just more efficient, just like certain routes through space would be more efficient. Your point is stupid.

You would think that but no, spaceships can only travel on space roads, fortunately starwars is set in a ancap utopia where hyperspace allows an infinite number of space roads to exist in the same place.

That has nothing to do with what we're talking about. If you know the coordinates of a planet, you don't need a "map." Period.

>You can drive off a road any fucking time you want, the road is just more efficient, just like certain routes through space would be more efficient. Your point is stupid.

You cannot drive through a building, over a river, or up into the air. You don't even understand my point well enough to call it stupid.

Just like you cannot fly through a fucking star or planet you mongoloid.

Because you know they are safe and clear and work

If you just plug in coordinates you'd have no idea what kind of gravity or magnetic fields you'd be going through or any radiation let alone asteroid or planet/star.

It has everything to do with what we're talking about.

If you rely on just a set of coordinates then the most efficient route is to go in a straight line, but hyperspace is not empty, there are shadows of objects in hyperspace and flying close to those objects can kill you and everyone on board., so they have routes that people have already mapped out that are safe. So yes, they use the "roads" See Luke used a route that was normally not used, but had still been explored at a prior time.

>Why do they need maps
>Just use a map dummies!

Just play Rebel Galaxy, you'll understand why in space a straight line isn't always the quickest way.

Yes, you obviously don't understand it at all. Shut the fuck up and go read a book.

>BB84 is a quantum key distribution scheme developed by Charles Bennett and Gilles Brassard in 1984. It is the first quantum cryptography protocol. The protocol is provably secure, relying on the quantum property that information gain is only possible at the expense of disturbing the signal if the two states one is trying to distinguish are not orthogonal (see no-cloning theorem). It is usually explained as a method of securely communicating a private key from one party to another for use in one-time pad encryption.

Really makes me think

THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE CONFINED TO ONE ROUTE

SPACEFLIGHT TAKES PLACE IN A THREE DIMENSIONAL SPACE, MOST OF WHICH IS EMPTY

THERE ARE NO ROADS IN SPACE

THEREFORE ALL YOU NEED TO FIND A LOCATION IS A SET OF COORDINATES AND YOU DON'T NEED A "MAP"

END OF STORY

They'd be able to figure any movements with maths and a map would be the easiest way to show where everything is relative to everything else. That's why we use maps now, not because we have roads like retard OP thinks.
If that were the case, why would we need maps for sailing across oceans?

You don't need one specific map that shows one of myriad routes you could take. Which means the search for this particular map in Star Wars 7 made no sense if they already knew where the planet was.

>google maps
Star Wars is a universe that has such advanced technology and yet is also on a lower level than earth.

THEY HAVE NO GLASSES
That's why it was so hard shooting inside the Death Star, everyone's short-sighted.

THEY HAVE NO FUCKING PHONES
All they have are barely working holograms.

>If you rely on just a set of coordinates then the most efficient route is to go in a straight line, but hyperspace is not empty, there are shadows of objects in hyperspace and flying close to those objects can kill you and everyone on board., so they have routes that people have already mapped out that are safe. So yes, they use the "roads"

That only makes sense if this particular map was their only source of knowledge of the area surrounding Luke Skywalker's location. Obviously, they would've had access to that information through other means.

>They'd be able to figure any movements with maths and a map would be the easiest way to show where everything is relative to everything else.

If they already knew which planet it was, they wouldn't have had to rely on that one specific map as if it was the only thing in the galaxy that would allow them to find their destination.

>That's why we use maps now, not because we have roads like retard OP thinks.

omfg how can a person be this retarded

the hyperspace route to Rakata prime has been lost and found over the millenia. It's not a common route.

So anyone who looks at a map without the route sees "okay we don't know anything about this region of space, we don't know how to go through it safely" They need a map with a route.

Ok now you're just baiting. Kys

Jew Jew is such a fucking hack

I thought these were traces of Luke ... it is "map" to find him, because it shows where he was. they must have hoped that r2 has the final destination.

they had a picture of a part of a map, with no identifying features, the planets were not named

Near the end of Revenge of the Sith, Jimmy Smits says to Obi-Wan, "we're sending you our coordinates." He doesn't say "we're sending you a fucking map because our technology is too primitive to figure out how to get from place to place any other way." They clearly had the proper technology to do what I described.

BB-8 had the final destination.

I'm not "baiting," you just have no actual response to what I said because you're so fucking wrong

>We want a new R2D2
>But we also need to give artoo something
>I got it

Oh.

So they needed context to it?

You can have a piece of map with a final destination, but without any context what so ever, you will not find it.

And because it was just a map o Luke's movements, it has missing coordinates.

>I'm not "baiting," you just have no actual response to what I said because you're so fucking wrong
Says the retard who is so wrong he couldn't even address the most valid part of my post
>If that were the case, why would we need maps for sailing across oceans?
They know where they want to go too, but they still need maps. Space is exactly the same, just bigger.

If I'm in Los Angeles, and I need to sail to Hawai'i, and I know where Hawai'i is, and the terrain of the whole Earth has been mapped out and I have access to it, then I can get there. If someone draws me a map of how to sail from LA to Honolulu, my journey will not be impeded if I lose that map or someone steals it or something. I know where Hawai'i is anyway.

I'm not going to be flailing around going "we have to get that map back! I have no idea what to do without it!"

Yeah I guess that's why nobody ever uses maps now, huh? Anyone with a decent knowledge of geography knows where everything is and can just sail there without them, right?

I think you're actually not trolling. I think you really are this stupid. I don't know which would be worse.

Not an argument. Kys with your shitty bait thread.

Space isn't as empty as you think, if you go in a straight line from point A to point B you can run into a planet, a star, a black hole, asteroids or a million other things. Hence the "roads", they are safe routes that are known to not have any hazards, so you can just hyper space through them on auto pilot without crashing on a sun or getting eaten by a black hole.

It's very simple, for example, you know where new york is, but if you want to go to new york from california in a car, you need to take certain roads to avoid things like mountains, rivers and so on and so forth.

It's the same in space, except there are hazards and stuff in 3 dimensions, it's not like all the stars and stuff are in 2 dimensions and you can just go up and then move in a straight line to all of them.

I forgot how FTL travel works in SW, weren't they using "hyperlanes" which would still need to be mapped or something?

This is literally explained in the first fucking movie.

>Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

Yes, because currents, rocks (maybe less so on the pacific) and other perils are a non-issue.

Planes have flight paths you retard

Because this happened a long time ago. They didn't have GPS and shit like we have now.

You still need a map for GPS to make sense

>TFA
>jumps to hyperspace whenever it's convenient, from within an ugly haribo gummy bear colored cargo ship
>drops out of hyperspace whenever convenient, through a planet-wide shield
>crashes on the ground through a marketplace and recovers somehow
>hits mountain face at mach 0.5 but everyone inside is fine, crashes through hundreds of thicc old CGI trees and comes to a stop after hitting one more giant rock at 200+ km/hr
>is fine
Really tickles my onions

>YOU DON'T NEED A "MAP"
No but it is helpful

>A movie that is shit has shit writing

WOW I'm very surprised and totally on your side of this argument now.

>Rogue One
>Jumps to hyperspace in a dust cloud in-atmosphere
Hmm

galaxies doesn't move retard

>
the eu was more realistic

>If that were the case, why would we need maps for sailing across oceans?

I don't know, maybe because of sand banks, currents, shoals, reefs, maelstorms among other things you twat.

>retard

Yes they do, in fact everything in the universe moves, and the speed at which they move is increasing.

In fact, in the far distant future astronomers have calculated that our milky way galaxy and the andromeda galaxy will collide.

user are you this retarded?
>A Bomb also doesn't ever have a timer in real life.
ITS A FUCKING MOVIE YOU DIPSHIT!

>reddit spacing
>missing the point

galaxies move in space but internally they stay relatively still, in star wars no one ever travels between galaxies you fucking idiot

>implying I said anything to negate that

Either learn how to read or kill yourself.

Well, its kind of hard to know what exactly you meant, when you literally said that you would not need a map if you had access to a map.

At no point have I said anything that would warrant this response. At no point have I suggested that space pilots don't need to know where obstacles are.

I said you don't need that one specific map. In TFA, the plot was driven by the fact that they needed this map to locate Luke Skywalker. My point is that all they needed were the coordinates, which they would've had already.

And what are your going to use the co-ordinates in if not a map? Co-ordinates are just numbers without context.

Also the best route would consider points to stop and refuel, just like it would a car on the road. Also remaining hostile worlds to consider.

how do you know they had the coordinates?

A map could work. Most stars in a galaxy do not move that much relative to eachother; they retain their position in the overall shape of the galaxy (in this case, a spiral). That's why the constellations in the night sky always looks the same from our view on Earth.

Because they could see where the end point of the map was.

Please show me where I said a map "couldn't work."

I think a map could exist but it sure as hell wouldn't look like that and having a random hole in it wouldn't make sense. I think something like in Warhammer 40k would make more sense, with 1 place serving as a point of reference

This did bother me from the first time I watched it

but they needed the map for that

They already saw it. They already knew where the planet was.

no they didn't, it was from an uncharted part of the galaxy wasn't it?

Starkiller Base was made on Ilum.

I figured the map was just a map of the path taken by the Jedi, from their first temple on Ach-To until they reached Coruscant and built the big Jedi Temple. The map was really a map of the Jedi Temples, and the first one is where everyone figured Like would be.

...where everyone figured LUKE would be.

>shadows of objects in hyperspace
Do you mean that there's no way of telling where something is because of hyperspace so a shadow is really a solid object? If it's not that please explain just for learning purposes. Thanks user.

as far as I know the shadows of objects in hyperspace are the same as the real objects in normal space.

So they just plot courses around objects.

The whole "Kessel run in 12 parsecs" thing is laughed about because a parsec is a distance rather than a unit of time.

So they've went and explained that the kessel run is a smuggling route through an area full of black holes. A faster ship can get closer to the black holes while still being able to escape from its gravity, therefore they can take a shorter route through the region.

I get your point but I think OP is saying that if you have, let's say, an incomplete map of the road to California and you're the ruling authority you could easily send probes or whathaveyou to scan the area and complete the map and take it from there.
JewJew is a hack.

Cool beans, thanks for the explanation user

They do move , but at a pace incredibly slow relative to us

In the like 20 years since Anakin made the map it would not have changed at all