Falling Down

So what was the actual message of this movie, exactly?

Other urls found in this thread:

editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/1993s-falling-down-is-an-eerie-reflection-of-modern-americas-persecution-complex/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it was just a story, there doesnt need to be a message.if there is a message it that whites will always eventually snap and kill people

It's a story about a white man failing to come to terms with how the world really works. He can't handle it and lashes out.

Don't live in LA in the 90s unless your rich?

Just cuz the world gives you shit doesn't mean you get to take it out on everyone around you. The cop pretty much spells it out in the end.

EVERYBODY IS FUCKIGN RETARDED AND SHOULD DIE BUT MEEEEEEEEE

D Fens was a man who grew up in the cold war. He was pushed hard into the American dream.

>Go to college
>work hard
>Find a career
>find a wife
>have kids
>house by the ocean

But the film takes place in 1993. The Cold War is over. His job designing weapons for the government is gone. His wife left him.

He was so indoctrinated with this from birth that he has a mental break down because all he did was what he was told and it still didn't work. Yes he has emotional and mental issues which don't help, but him going through a city and seeing what the American dream truly is breaks him.

The cop was wrong the whole time.

Jew detected.

What did you mean by this?

Prendergast also had issues with achieving the American dream, but he took it in stride. His wife hasnt though.

>government job
>wife
>dead child

Now he's retiring to the desert to a city that has a British landmark. Essentially the least American thing when you think about it, and he goes along with it because he's more put together emotionally.

fuck the nazis

Fredric Forest was perfect in this. Everything he says is so melodic like he's been doing it for years.

in all seriousness

the death of the american dream and the people who actually care about it, coming to that reality.

Inside everyone there is a devil that most people keep locked away. When circumstances lead to a point where our constructed view of what's right and normal becomes completely broken, the devil takes over.

this more than anything else

That everyone hates him despite needing him for so long? Sounds about right.

I always thought that the movie was about the last generation of prosperity slipping through the fingers of Americans. To see the US's near perfect financial, cultural and moral foundation crumbling and knowing there is nothing you can do to fix it.

So if D Fens had been unemployed for the last month, where had he been going?

DUDE CASH IN ON THE SUCCESS OF OFFICE SPACE AND TED TV LMAO

At the time the 88 stock market crash had just started recovering, and the majority of the 90s we were actually doing pretty prosperous as a country.

This does inadvertently create an interesting perspective for baby boomers near retirement age that I hadn't considered.

what exactly wrong with the 90s? He was just unemployed because of contracted work and his wife only left him because he had anger management issues. What was stopping him from just getting a new job? He was educated and overqualified as crap for anything else, he just had a bad attitude

Sup Forums

See this mentally ill person terrorizing a city?
He is actually the only sane man, and you are all crazy !!!! AHHAHAHAHAH CRAZY I SAY

don't trust anyone

go innawoods

The only thing i know is that the cashier was a qt

sequel with Not Economically Viable when

it's all about d-fens

There was plenty wrong with the 1990s for traditionalist Americans. The last breathe of 1950s values died with Reagan and the economic collapse of the early 90s. Mid-century Americanism no longer became the ideal.

So America fell into a new culture of super consumerism and decadence and it's been getting worse and worse. Just look at us today, it's only downhill from here m8.

The Korean guy?

Oh wait you mean Michelle Pfeiffers sister

Bullshit. He's a smart man and played the game of life so well he became nuclear scientist. He snapped because he noticed the world he put so much effort into contributing to and building is getting worst not better.

Wherever. I had a girlfriend who's father did something similar when he lost his job.

The late 80s and early 90s were the golden age of the US MIDDLE CLASS. You could still get a good education for reasonable money, you could still get a decent job when the first ww2 people were retiring from their jobs and the end of the cold war brough along a wave of positivity to the world.

I would argue that "Falling Down" is more about the character than the "time".

Thats because You dont remember the 90s. Some of us do.

9/11 changed EVERYTHING.

Class struggle, main character and the bank protester were the same but people only see race nowadays.

This is essentially why America is fucked. People get distracted by race, ideology and religion, when the real problem is the establishment, the government and the lack of quality education/jobs.

The American dream is dead.

>american dream is a stable job lawl!

this is how retarddded Sup Forums is

You just think it's great because it was the beginning of the end. Also the nostalgia glasses don't help.

The 1950s was the best generation. People thought that the US would turn into a utopia on it's current track which was very well possible. The US is now the richest nation on earth but the people aren't rich. The traditional family model is destroyed, marriage rates abysmal, native birth rates at an all time low, race relations somehow the worst they've been in decades, art stagnant and gainful employment gone.

Don't have kids. They will ruin your marriage. They will ruin your life. You will die.

it's a film not a letter, it doesn't need to have any message.

editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/1993s-falling-down-is-an-eerie-reflection-of-modern-americas-persecution-complex/

>The 1950s was the best generation.

Youre agreeing with me m8. The middle class in the 90s had it better than in the entire history of the US.

Have money saved, you're never to old to go back to school.

This, Prenderghast isnt measuring his happiness in the stock symbols of the American Dream the way Dfens is

he was a fucking rocket scientist, he didnt need to go back to school, he just needed to go join NASA or something

Except he doesn't want to do it, he's retiring and moving because his useless psycho wife wants to live there. It's pretty clear throughout the film that he loves being a cop in LA.

Prendergast is in the same boat as D-Fens, being dragged along by forces outside of his control. D-Fens' "standing up" for himself pushes him to stand up for himself as well.

He yells at her to stop bothering him like 2/3 of the way through, and last line is about how he's going to keep working, and how mad it will make her.

Don't pissed the middle class. They will snap.

i think it's a movie about the inevitable white chimpout

Wow. Almost 50 posts and not a single one of you retards even came close.

If you really care to know watch the commentary track on the dvd.

Is that jayz?

that michael douglas is king shit of fuck mountain

The message is that every white deserves to have a chimp out moment, yet are too mentally tough/physically soft/moral to snap and do it.

Basically it's a righteous-revenge fantasy every productive, mid-40s white male STEM worker has had at some point.

Spotted the angry losers.

I wish someone had given me that message when I was a kid. I lived in LA during the Rodney King riots and even from the suburbs that shit was crazy. We couldn't leave our neighborhood at all because the chimps were so out of control.
The city is fucking awesome now, but in the 90's it felt like a powder keg.

More stories?

I'm the bad guy, how'd that happen

This.

Except I'd like to add on that the point of the film was that he wasn't always wrong, it's his actions that were wrong.

Sometimes he pointed out the right problem with the wrong reaction.

About the riots? I lived in Studio City, which is basically the entrance to the Valley through Hollywood. Some negroes were going up that far in cars and even on bicycles looking for white people to attack. My dad had his gun in his hand at all times for DAYS and would occasionally walk out to the street to scan the area. A few times he had to point his gun at cars full of chimps to get them to turn around.
My aunt's then-boyfriend got beat up by black teenagers inside a gas station. They smashed him over the head with a 40 of malt liquor and stomped the shit out of him.
My favorite Chinese restaurant was burned down and the family that owned it had to move in with relatives in Indiana.
For months after the riots black people thought they ran Los Angeles. The niggers at my school were out of control.

>So what was the actual message of this movie, exactly?
just b urself :^)