Ok Sup Forums, is there a legitimate reason why the electoral college exists...

ok Sup Forums, is there a legitimate reason why the electoral college exists, instead of just relying on the popular vote?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=90RajY2nrgk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A long time ago we didn't have electronic communication, so people had to ride around on horse to communicate. That's why it exists, but yes, it should be eliminated now

Hand counting votes was a bitch in the 18th century

Popular vote correlates directly to electoral vote (except in some extreme circumstances, such as the butterfly ballot problem in Florida in 2000).

how would us jews control those idiots without it?

It exists so that no state overpowers another and to give rural people a say. It serves it's purpose but what needs to be done is a correction of gerrymandering. Basically without the electoral college, all people would have to do is campaign in cities or heavily populated areas. It basically forces a campaign to look at areas that get less attention.

This.
Not this. These faggots obviously failed their civics class in highschool.

New Mexibro here, Johnson isn't happening. The only people that support him are:
>Memers that don't like Trump or Clinton. They won't turn out.
>Old fucks that are outnumbered.
>Bernouts that will end up changing to Teflon Don or Hilldawg last minute.

>thinks NY will be a swing state

>state
>color
Yeah right

no retard, was the argument AGAINST having an electoral college

read the federalist papers again

>It exists so that no state overpowers another and to give rural people a say

What does this mean?

Every person has 1 vote. It shouldn't be more complicated than that. What makes their identity as "rural people" a difference?

The electoral college still has a purpose in the modern world. It doesn't let urban centers dominate the popular vote and makes small states more important. In fact, the electoral college helped elect Bush.

The electoral college is a unique system that should be kept. I do not want to see our presidential elections be dominated by popular vote like in France or what not.

>NY

Are you retarded

>Mob rule
If it wasn't for the electoral college, rich people wouldn't exist. The poor outnumber the rich. The poor would vote to redistribute the wealth.

It exits so that attention can be given to people outside of urban areas, you have to remember how much more state identity mattered back then, it was a way to sort of level the playing field so states with almost no population still feel represented.

youtube.com/watch?v=90RajY2nrgk

>Implying that campaigning only in larger cities would result in a landslide victory

You do realize that your largest city has 8 million people, which is less than 2.5% of your countries population, and your second largest city has less than 1% of your countries population in it. What you wrote sounds logical until you do the math, and the math aint that hard. If you go down to the 100 most populated cities you'll still only have covered ~20% of the entirety of the U.S. population.

But aren't the number of seats awarded roughly proportionally by population anyway?

Like North Dakota gets 3 and New York gets 30.

Which makes perfect sense since North Dakota has 1/10th of the population.

Therefore they would have no more say if there wasnt an electoral college

Yes, Yes I am apparently. Meant to type NH. Sorry bout that....

again, this was the argument against the electoral college

electoral votes are allocated based on population

>VA red

kek

Also it disenfranchises voters where populations are large majorities in terms of political parties. Let's say that in a state, 60% of the population is democratic, and 40% is republican. There is absolutely no way those republicans win the state, so why even bother going out to vote? Your vote literally means nothing if you live in a non-swing single-party large majority state. If everyone's vote counted as one vote, those republicans' vote would count as one vote, not as 1/10th or even less of a vote.

Virginia hasn't been completely lost yet. Republicans won Virginia in 2004. The only reason why Republicans haven't won Virginia in 2008 and 2012 was because we nominated horrible candidates like McCain and Romney.

Hopefully, this time around, Virginia is more swing than usual.

I understand but I would look at it from the perspective of the time it was written, obviously things have changed sine then

I'm aware, Im just explaining it from when it was written.

I realize that, I was just illustrating an argument for it

Yeah we keep it going so the elite can make sure that no unapproved candidates can get elected. If Trump is gonna get fucked over its still yet to happen.

So then now all it seems to do is make your vote completely worthless if you live in a state other than ohio, florida or virginia right?

Oh i am not trying to say that electoral college was bad before, it was essential in the olden days, literally impossible to vote without it, but today it's obsolete and undemocratic, really fucks up the voting system

popular vote tends to favor democrat party over gop, any republican who supports popular vote is suicidal.

Bush won the election even though he lost the popular vote.

>burger education
To protect the republic from mob rule, are you fucking retarded?

The founding fathers rightly thought most people are retards and therefore wise delegates decided by vote should be the real ones to decide the presidency. The system also wasn't designed with political parties in mind so it behaves differently than how they thought it would by default

Basically who gives a shit about campaigning in a state that rewards nothing, aside from swing state obviously.

I gotcha man

What I really don't get is if the states have always had to count every single vote themselves to figure out who their electoral votes go to, then why would adding up the totals for the national popular vote have been even slightly difficult at any point in history? Sure there would be some error, but that applies to the states counting their own votes too.